“Nice enough but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Nid's Bungalows
3/173 Moo 2 T. Bophut, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #11 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Chaweng
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice enough but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

This was a nice enough place but way overpriced. The quality and the price did not match at all. The complimentary water and continental breakfast were a nice touch but I still think it was too expensive for the service provided. I did have much contact with the staff but the owner did seem nice and helpful. I only stayed here 1 night and quickly found much cheaper accommodation closer to the beach and the main strip of Chaweng Beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brighton, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

For the 11 days I stayed at Nid's Bungalows, each and every day I was made to feel welcome! Nid and Alan are a brilliant couple, who both went out of their ways to make sure my stay was comfortable, and I can ensure you it was! Always water and fresh fruit available, no matter what time of the day, and also Nid is a brilliant cook! Alan always advised me to the best places to go, and even arranged an excursion for me, which turned out to be a brilliant day. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and although their english is limited, Alan is always around to help out! The bungalows are perfect, basic but goes with the authenticity of being in Thailand! The whole Land is sorrounded by greenery and wildlife, absoloutly perfect to wake up to! Only a 5/10 minute walk to the beach, and right behind the bungalows is the boxing stadium and a strip of bars/pubs, a good night out! Overall I have no negative feedback... I WILL be returning to Nid's Bungalows, made koh samui worth a visit!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Napier, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

When I arrived there the room seemed clean and tidy and good value for money. The first week I couldn't fault much. Staff were helpful, mostly gave you a lift to Chaweng Beach and were great. In the second week, after wondering what all the bites on my body were, I realized and found bedbugs..everywhere. That ended up spoiling the whole holiday. I told Nid twice, and even showed her the actual bugs. After that they sprayed something, but I still found bedbugs on my bed and underneath. I ended up sleeping with lights and fan on high...not very comfortable. The other thing was, due to heavy rain in the area, no taxi would drive to the bungalows as the sandy pathway was full of holes. The I was lucky to at least manage to get a scooter taxi, which, when raining is not too great, and they also ripped me off due to the fact they knew nobody was driving there. The last thing that upset me was that I was promised, due to my 13 night long stay, that I get a free transfer to the airport on departure, but I had to pay 300 Baht for it. The main problem I felt was communication, people just do not speak and understand English well enough, making it hard to explain problems and sort them out. But from my point of view, this should not be made my problem, no matter how much I pay for accommodation. I have been working over 12 years in the hospitality industry and believe that if people want to run a hotel or similar, they should know enough about it and also speak at least English, as most travelers there would only be able to communicate in English. Overall, the good things were that towels were changed daily, bedding every second day. Water was only given to me when they saw me, I do not know why they didn't just put it in my room? If I would to go back to Samui, I would probably not stay there again, main reason being the bugs.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
, Owner at Nid's Bungalows, responded to this review, December 18, 2010
We would like to thank this guest for her valuable feedback but wish to note the following. From her initial enquiry about accommodation we became engaged in an exchange of around 24 emails, between the 14 August and 10 November 2010, in an effort to satisfy all her questions, which we believe we did. The nature of her questions made it clear to us that we were dealing with a very critical and particular individual. It was unfortunate, and beyond our control, that Thailand was experiencing unusually heavy rainfall and widespread flooding at the time of her stay with us, so everybody on Samui was having the same problem getting around and travelling on the roads. Any seasoned traveller would understand natural events like this are part of life worldwide. Similarly, with respect to language and , as is typical throughout Thailand, our staff have only limited English but try their best to understand and make our guests happy. In fact, we find most of our guests love this language interaction as a fun experience of their stay with us. Having worked for over 12 years in the hospitality industry, she should understand the need for tolerance and that languages are part of the travel experience for everyone. This guest chose to pay for her accommodation in advance but did not remit the correct amount, leaving 460 THB balance to be paid at check-in. In an effort to promote goodwill, we waived the 460 THB when she checked in. This more than compensated her for the 300 THB transfer cost to the airport she has complained about. Finally, she has resorted to the common complaint suffered by this industry from disgruntled guests - bedbugs. In the years we have been operating, we have never had a complaint about this from any of our previous guests, and she is most welcome to visit our reviews on major reservations websites such as Hostelworld, Hostelbookers and many others. Our cleanliness, value-for-money and staff ratings are universally high. We thank our guest again for her feedback but suggest that her expectations are such that her travels will always be difficult, particularly for the people serving her, and that these expectations are only exceeded by her imagination about bedbugs.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Booked for one night as a stop over on the way to Kao Tao, were planning on booking for a couple more nights on the way back, although after our 1 night there we hurridly booked somewhere else, much nearer the beach/main restaurant area, which was much better value for money!!! (location for two girls travelling alone wasn't good).

Our main problem with the place, apart from the fact that there was never any staff around and it looked run down and messy, was that our room didn't have a lock on the door and when we tried to explain this to staff (after having to wake them up at 8pm, not exactly late) they were very unhelpful and acted like what we were asking for (a room with a lock) was ridiculous. we got given another room but this to had no lock, finally we got given a room with a lock and the staff member stormed off.
We had to leave at 6:30 the next morning and again there were NO member of staff around so we had to wake up someone who took the key of us and again made us feel like we were causing an inconvience.

This hotel was the only bad hotel we had in 7 weeks of travelling in South East Asia.
The sad thing is that Nid's has alot of potential as the communication we had beofre we got there was really good and Nid was very helpful but as soon as we got there it felt as though they weren't used to running a hotel!

Plenty of other places in Samui, pick one of them.

(oh and there were spiders and cockroaches in the room)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Nid's bungalows are around a 5 min walk to the beach so excellent location. The road leading to the bungalows is quite dark at night so as a single female traveller it wasn't ideal. The rooms are cleaned everyday with fresh towels and Nid brings you fresh fruit and water everyday. I would definately stay here again. Thanks Nid for your hospitality.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Beauty Point, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

bungalows are clean and good value for money, only downside being that it is a bit far from the action but nid hires motorbikes at a good price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

Will write the negative about this place first as I would like to leave on a positive note. When we arrived Nid (the owner) was very friendly towards us and we had a few beers. For some reason after the first night her attitude changed. We stayed there for 11 days. We asked repeatedly for Nid to arrange Full Moon tickets and were told no problem but after constant asking we got our own. We didn't use internet much as it involved finding someone with a key. When reading the website it sounded perfection but when we got there the bar, restaurant, pool table etc were closed due to the fact that it was low season. Something which should have been told to us as this was one of the reasons we booked here. Its about a 10 minute walk to the shops for food and to the beach (which is not really a problem) but might be for some. There is no catamaran as stated on the website and organising tours etc is not an option here. Nid also said she would cook for us and bring us to the market but this didn't happen and we didn't push it as trying to organise tickets was a big enough ordeal. After reading reviews on the website am wondering why Nid didn't help us out with any organising. When we asked about tours etc, it was like we were bothering her. Having said all that, this place is a nice place to stay. There is a great restaurant around the corner, St. Tropez and any tours we sorted out we got picked up from there. The grounds of the guesthouse are GORGEOUS. Full of flowers, trees and butterflies, very peaceful. The staff here are just great and we had clean towels and bedsheets every day. Every morning we were brought fresh fruit, water and sweetcorn and it was a lovely setting to have your breakfast. We were the only ones staying there for most of the time and if your looking for peace and relaxation away from the maddness then this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Nid's Bungalows, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
We wish to thank you for your generous comments about our gardens, clean bungalows and daily water and fresh fruit from the market. As you mentioned from reviews you have read, Nid's Bungalows takes pride in giving our guests personal service for use of the facilities, meals and drinks, and arrangements for travel tickets and tours.
On this occasion, although you were the only guests at the time during the low season, unfortunately we had a staff shortage due to illness, and perhaps there was also some misunderstanding as a result of language difficulties. For this we apologise and we will take steps to avoid this problem in future.
With respect to the catamaran, we are not aware of advertising such on any website, and would appeciate advice as to which website makes mention of this.
Thank you again for your recommendation and we do hope you come and visit us again.
Nid

Been to Nid's Bungalows? Share your experiences!