“Hospitality and price cannot be beat!” 4 of 5 stars

Nid's Bungalows
3/173 Moo 2 T. Bophut, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Chaweng
Brisbane
“Hospitality and price cannot be beat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

So why should you stay here?
You want somewhere priced very reasonably, comfortable but not over the top rooms and hospitality that is second to none.

Ok first things first,
This is Nid's bungalows, not some 5 star on the beach resort for 10 times the price.
The location of Nid's was somewhat further from the beach than I first thought, however I can safely say this was not an issue. If anything being away from the hustle and bustle was just what I needed!!
Nid herself is very polite, friendly and goes out of her way to ensure you have everything you could need during your stay.
(Again as a comparison to said 5 star resort) the rooms are basic, however the price reflects that. The beds are comfortable, very cold air con and having chooks and ducks wandering around really gives a family, relaxed, almost farm style feel.

Nid and her staff would have to be the most outgoing and friendly people I have met!!

Within a minute of sitting at Nid's seemingly empty bar results in a member of staff appearing, serving you a stupidly cheap beer, music comes on, nibbles and conversation commences.
One day I was walking back from town, one of the staff spots me, puts me on the back of their scooter and drives me back to the bungalows....... for free, no questions asked.
We missed a shuttle around to the other side of the island to catch a ferry, we mention it to the staff, within minutes we are flying down the road in the bungalows' own transport.
I cannot put a price on these moments, but this is where Nid's really does out do the rest.

What else? Free shuttle down to the beach, cheap internet, and amazing meals.

If you want somewhere top notch, do not stay here, goto Ark bar, I stayed there too if you want somewhere to go where you never leave your resort and dont socialise with the staff. However if you want to truely appreciate Kho Samui hospitality and lifestyle, Nid's is your number one choice.

Room Tip: Negotiate the rate and get air con
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

A family owned bungalow accomodation runned by a nice women who wants you to have a wonderful stay. And she is good at it. Stayed here for a couple of days and I really enjoyed it. The bungalows were cleaned every day with the best quality (I'm honest: really close to german standards!!!) I also booked a trip to Koh Tao at the reception for a more than faire price. Waking up and getting served a good breakfast with tea or coffee is the best way to start into a day. You will get it here! A bar and pooltable to meet up with some other backpackers is also available with cheap beer and music. You can start the party at chaweng beach after a short walk.
To sum it up: For me the best backpacker bungalow accomodation on my trip in Thailand.

Room Tip: just ask friendly
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

On arrival in Nids, we were greeted by Nid who's hospitality was commendable. However the feeling of being bitten alive whilst sleeping took away from that feeling. The bed was riddled with bugs and made for an uncomfortable stay in Chewang. Some dodgy ladies on the lane walking towards it made every effort to make us feel a little better, wearing a little leather number and emerging from behind the trees. She must have heard of Nid's hospitality as she was desperate for her and her friend to join us back there. It was hard to find staff at the best of times, a lot easier to find the dogs who seemed to be there to cater for all your needs. Nice little lads. All in all, if you are going to stay in Chewang, why not give Nid a shout. She will be only too happy to sort ya, and if she doesn't, you won't have to look too far to find someone that will.

Room Tip: Check for bedbugs
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
, Owner at Nid's Bungalows, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
We would like to thank Craicpacker for his review of Nid's Bungalows. As the vast majority of our reviews indicate, we take great pride in the condition and cleanliness of our bungalows, and in the care we take of our guests. In order to improve the experience of their stay with us, we are only too happy to receive both positive and negative feedback from the reviews.

However, in the case of invalid, misleading or inappropriate comments, we are compelled to respond for the benefit and information of those considering a stay with us.
Unfortunately for the accommodation industry, it is simply to easy for ill-informed or otherwise ignorant guests to mislead other travellers by attributing any type of insect bite they may have suffered in their rooms to bedbugs.

Ecopest Samui Co.Ltd has just completed a full inspection of Nid's Bungalows. Their report has confirmed what we have known to be the case over the past 4 years, that is, there is not, and there never has been, the slightest trace or evidence of any bedbugs in any of our bungalows. Their report suggested that mosquitos were the likely cause of any bites suffered by this guest.
All our bungalows have mosquito screens on doors and windows and we also take additional measures for their control. Given we are in a tropical environment, it is also the responsibility of the guest to take the usual precautions against mosquitos.
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

Having read some of the reviews on this website I have to say I was a bit concerned about what I would find when I arrived at Nid's Bunglaows but I was pleasantly surprised. First of all they gave us a complimentary transfer from the airport which was waiting for us on arrival. When we arrived at the Bungalows Nid was very welcoming and gave us a bottle of water and plate of fresh fruit each. We stayed in the air conditionied rooms and for the price we paid we couldn't go wrong. The air con was almost brand new and a lot more effective than the air con in a lot of hotels I had previously stayed in. Our rooms had a TV with a good selection of English language channels, plenty of electrical sockets, a king size bed and en suite bathrooms. The grounds are well presented with lots of flowers and animals and are always kept clean and tidy.
The price also included a daily breakfast of orange juice, toast and fresh fruit which was served as and when you got up and not between specific times. We got our beds changed, rooms cleaned and fresh towels everyday. The location is not as bad as some reviews say, about a ten minute walk to the beach and twenty minute walk to Green Mango but there are plenty of taxi's and busses running constantly for next to nothing should you not want to walk. It is also very close to The Reggae Pub, Chaweng Thai Boxing Stadium and a smaller strip with plenty of bars and nightlife. The rooms have no safety deposit boxes but there were always Nid's employees milling about at all times of the day and night and the bungalows are locked and padlocked so I felt more than happy to leave my belongings there while I went out. Overall if you're on a budget then you can't go wrong, we were on Samui for two weeks and I have to say I didn't really see anything better than what we had in the same price range. A pleasant place, good value for money and somewhere I would happily stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

The room we had was a 4 bed family ensuite for 1200 baht per night which 3 of us shared late Feb 2011. This room was slightly larger than the other rooms and had a TV, fridge, AC, 2 bunk beds and a single double bed, all of which were comfortable and gave a good nights sleep. The room and bathroom were both clean. with the shower being your usual wall mounted removable showerhead (same as at every place we stayed in thailand). For the money you pay you certainly get a very well priced and confortable place to stay, and for us that was all we really needed. I gave the room a 4 purely because some of the other places were a bit nicer around the edges, but only in terms of appearance.

Outside of the bungalow was an undercover table and chairs, and as you walk in there is a bar with a pool table, dart board, stereo with a wide range of music. There are also a few computers and the internet available. Nid also has a few mopeds available for hire at 200 baht per day and helmets were included when we hired them.

By the end of the trip we had made some friends with other guests there and on a few nights we'd sit around in the bar area having a few drinks, and playing music, pool and darts. Nid and her workers were always more than happy to keep this area open for us and even had a few drinks and a few games of pool with us.

If the distance is a worry you can also get Nid or one of the many friendly people that work at Nid's to drive you into town which they did on a few occasions free of charge. To get back to Nid's you can get a moped taxi back for 100-150baht, depending on your bargaining skills. If you do choose to walk it will take you between 5 - 10 mins from the beach. There are some bars and restaurants (eg Reggae Bar) on the street 5 mins from Nid's so not everything will require a trek into the main strip.

If you were backpacking in Koh Samui I believe there are some slightly cheaper places that are closer to Chaweng Beach but youd only be talking by probably 100-200 baht per person per night. We did also stay at a beachfront resort on Chaweng Beach on one of our last days and paid 2600baht per night for a room that was only marginally nicer than what we had at Nid's. We also stayed in Bangkok and Patong Beach (near Phuket) for a few other nights we were in Thailand and both of these places were also more expensive and only marginally nicer, but both did have pools. Nid did mention while we were talking to her that she was building a pool so thats something to look forward to.

All in all we really loved our stay here and will be staying here again on our next visit to Samui. For those thinking of staying here I highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

This was a nice enough place but way overpriced. The quality and the price did not match at all. The complimentary water and continental breakfast were a nice touch but I still think it was too expensive for the service provided. I did have much contact with the staff but the owner did seem nice and helpful. I only stayed here 1 night and quickly found much cheaper accommodation closer to the beach and the main strip of Chaweng Beach.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Brighton, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

For the 11 days I stayed at Nid's Bungalows, each and every day I was made to feel welcome! Nid and Alan are a brilliant couple, who both went out of their ways to make sure my stay was comfortable, and I can ensure you it was! Always water and fresh fruit available, no matter what time of the day, and also Nid is a brilliant cook! Alan always advised me to the best places to go, and even arranged an excursion for me, which turned out to be a brilliant day. The staff are very friendly and helpful, and although their english is limited, Alan is always around to help out! The bungalows are perfect, basic but goes with the authenticity of being in Thailand! The whole Land is sorrounded by greenery and wildlife, absoloutly perfect to wake up to! Only a 5/10 minute walk to the beach, and right behind the bungalows is the boxing stadium and a strip of bars/pubs, a good night out! Overall I have no negative feedback... I WILL be returning to Nid's Bungalows, made koh samui worth a visit!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Nid's Bungalows? Share your experiences!