“Terrible service, poor rooms... There are much better hotels for the money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui

You added Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui to your Saves list
Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 / 1 - 2 Moo 5, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #68 of 102 Hotels in Chaweng
4.0 of 5 stars 500 Reviews
“Terrible service, poor rooms... There are much better hotels for the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We booked for the second part of our honeymoon, and to see in the New Year 2013.

We have travelled in Thailand a lot over the years, sometimes in budget accommodation and sometimes in luxury. This was by far the worst hotel service and general attitude that I have ever encountered in any of the hotels. We checked out after one night and stayed at another hotel for the remaining 6 days of our honeymoon (and had a great time!)

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the hotel. Upon arriving late the reception staff advised that we would have an upgrade for the 1st night due to our room being unavailable. We were upgraded to a luxury pool villa. The villa was huge but rather outdated. The power went off several times and it took nearly 2 hours for the baby cot to arrive which had been requested upon booking and check in. The cot was dangerous and falling apart but we were advised that this was the only one available. My husband ended up taping the sides together.

The following day I explained my frustrations and were advised we could move to a deluxe pool villa for the inconvenience. We waited around for most of the day before the reception staff called to advise that we couldn't have this room as the manager had said no. Eventually after several more phone calls and a couple of hours we were settled into the pool villa.

The deluxe pool villa is nice but like the rest of the hotel is outdated and showing signs of wear & tear.

The room has been serviced every day to a good standard. The tv is not worth turning on as the channels are very limited. The food is overpriced and unexciting.

Considering the hotel is meant to be full there are not many people around. Most people that we have spoken to, ourselves included prefer to go next door to one of the other hotels for food and entertainment.

There is nothing within walking distance of the hotel. The hotel itself it set on very steep ground. We have been into Chaweng once which is the nearest town. The usual tacky shops and adult bars line the streets which didn't appeal to us.

Would I return? Nope. The Bhundari is massively overpriced for what you get. The Nora Suri or Nora Beach next door would be a better option if you particularly wanted to stay in this area. If I came back to Samui I would probably stay in Bophut.

• Stayed January 2013
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your communication with me while at the resort and this follow-up.

You have brought up a valid point I would like to address. This urged me to investigate further, as noted when we communicated while you were in residence. While I have found that the fees are market level for a luxury resort and much less than in neighboring countries, I have reviewed and considered the pricing.

As of today, we have taken your comments, as well as a few others and altered our pricing plans with more flexibility and pricing options.

So while you may not have been satisfied, your comments have led to positive change for while I think the traveling community will thank you for.

As for your other comments about 'value,' indeed value and quality is a paradigm that is unique to all travelers. For those seeking luxury and personalized attention, in fact there is a cost you will not find at a 'local' establishment. That cost is then folded into the overall offering and value to achieved on a variety of levels and in a myriad of ways. For us at Bhundhari, we attempt to deliver this via a unique array of services outside of the norm, and truly customized 'indulge your senses' service.

I am sorry you personally did not find this to be value and am sure if you would give us the chance to serve you again, we would deliver!

Very Kind Regards

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at Bhundari with 5 friends in late November, early December. We received a wonderful deal - 8 nights for the price of 4. We went to Koh Samui for our Schoolies (which in Australia is a holiday you take with friends after graduating from high school). Our priorities for the trip were not only relaxation but also some top notch partying. Our room set-up was meant to be four of us in a Deluxe Suite and four of us in two interconnecting deluxe rooms. However, after two of our friends were unable to attend the trip (and didn't cancel their rooms), one friend and I had the two interconnecting rooms to ourselves - ONE ROOM EACH! This was fantastic, however, when we arrived at our rooms they were on two different levels and not interconnecting. So we hesitantly went to the front desk and tried to explain through the language barrier the mix-up and after 5 or so different phone calls we got the rooms we wanted, and we thanked ourselves the whole trip that we did. The bathrooms were beautiful - high glass sun roofs with sandy coloured marble. The beds were the most amazing feature though. The king size bed which I had to myself was HUGE and had a cushioned mattress cover which made it feel like I was sleeping on a cloud. Because of the nature of our trip, we didn't get a lot of sleep (very late nights and waking up by 10 for the complementary breakfast), but the bed made the quality of sleep we did have, MAGICAL. But make sure you do have the covering, because two of my friends didn't have it on their bed until they asked.

The staff tried to help where ever they could but there was a definite language barrier which did frustrate some of my less patient friends. The place is owned or managed by a nice British guy, so if you're ever struggling - ask for him.

The location was a bit out of town so you must add the cost of tuk-tuks onto the budget. They're cheap (usually 50B a head cause there were six of us - more if you're travelling in smaller groups) but they certainly add up. And with no places to eat near the hotel, except AT the hotel (the food was okay, but not that cheap), you may be taking two or three 10-15 minute tuk-tuk or taxi trips into the city each day.

The spa was excellent (we only used our 15min free back massage passes we got on arrival, but I actually regret not paying the quite expensive prices for another full massage at least once, because it was the best massage I had while there). The pool area was also lovely, and during the "Happiness Hours" (which ran almost all day) cocktails and beers were quite cheap.

A quick warning: there’s no lift or shuttle to the rooms, and believe me - they could definitely use one! We were almost right up the top, and to get there we had to walk a VERY steep hill as well as 3 LONG flights of stairs. Believe me, you'll get fit!

Overall, the staff were friendly, the rooms were beautiful, the scenery around the hotel was lush and the accommodation itself was great value. We had a wonderful stay and I would stay there again without hesitation!

Room Tip: The cheapest rooms - the deluxe rooms - were just as beautiful and lush as the deluxe suite my frien...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on the recent visit to Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas.
On behalf of the team, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience encountered upon arrival and departure. Please trust that your comments are valuable to us and assist in maintaining and improving our service standards.

Nevertheless we would like to thank you for a wonderful review and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are damp and smelly. White towels are greyish and stained. Pool villas totally not worth the money as pool water is dirty and the lounge chair is filthy. There's no view, just surrounded by plants that are not trimmed and you'll be greeted by army of mosquitoes as soon as you enter the room.
Staff are rude, food is bad and the hotel is basically dirty. Absolutely horrible experience!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Valued Guest

First and foremost I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. It truly seems to me that this is a case of Murphy’s Law. Everything that could go wrong did.

Please allow me to address some of the issues:

Our location is well advertised and therefore comes as little surprise to our guests. It is in fact one of our biggest assets and guests select us because of it. Nevertheless, we do appreciate our guests’ need to move about and explore which is why our reception personnel is available anytime to meet requests for a meter taxi.

The prices of our hotel transportation are reasonable given the quality of the cars and drivers. Additionally, shuttles to town run three times a day at a preferential rate.

We were very saddened that you were not satisfied with your rooms and for that, we deeply apologize. We have taken note of your comments and will follow up and improve. We are currently touching up all of our rooms to keep them in their usual pristine conditions.

Lastly, while we empathize with your animosity towards geckos and other insects, they are native to a subtropical climate and are to be expected.

Having said that I would like to thank you for expressing your dissatisfaction and we are taking this very seriously and establishing corrective measures.

I do hope that we can convince you to return to Bhundhari and we would be privileged to have another opportunity to show our usual exceptional standard to you.

Very Kind Regards
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and welcomed 2013 here.

Lets start with the good things.

This is a very nice resort. Its on a hill and the main road intersects it. We arrived late after an alledged 6 hour trip from patong beach phuket took 12 hours and staff were still more than happy to check us in. After checkin we got taken to our room. As this place is on a hill, there are many steps and hills to get to your room. I'm going to be blunt here - If you are large and struggle with hills and many steps, don't stay here. All we wanted to do is sleep as soon as we arrived, we collapsed on the bed. The bed at this place is absolutely amazing. It has a large and very thick dooner like thing over the mattress full of feathers or something very very soft. It is like sleeping on a cloud. We never wanted to leave the bed because it was so comfy. This is the outstanding factor for us that let me give this place a 4/5 star review given how much time we spent sleeping.

The veiw at Bundhari is brilliant. The top pool has an incredible view of the water and a few of the islands around Koh Sumai. The breakfast here is also fantastic. Its american style breakfast, and has everything. If you don't like it then there is something wrong with you.

We went to the compulsory dinner for NYE. It was a seafood buffet, it was so good and so yummy (but not worth the price). On NYE, it was raining very heavily and it was windy. The staff spent all day preparing for the event then suddenly around mid afternoon it started raining. It seemed as if all their hard work had been thrown out the window, however they made the most of a bad time. They had workmen quickly erect a marquee around the area which was for the dance floor where all the dances and presentations of the night were made. The host of the night was a really fun and energetic singer with two backup singers who made the night very enjoyable even though it was raining like crazy.

On the stroke of midnight (which was went the rain seemed to stop), fireworks went off everywhere and was the most incredible experience. Firework laws are very very very liberal in thailand so anyone can shoot them off. The hotel had a very spectular show and it seemed as if it just kept going. They were shooting them from the beach and the carpark and it was fascinating. After a while we got over it and went back to our room. All of a sudden, the doors were shaking from a very very lound noise. We ran outside to see that more fireworks were being launched from one of the buildings and was amazing. We spent the next 15 minutes standing at the very top pool area watching all the fireworks go off from our resort, all the resorts around us and fireworks from Chaweng beach. Seeing so many fireworks go off, with so much colour in the sky was simply the best. The resort launched fireworks over the hotel as well so it was going off litterally above us and was so so good. This made our expeirence at this hotel very enjoyable. It made all the bad things which I will outline below redundant.

Now for the bad stuff.

At checkin the staff tried to charge us more than what we should have paid. Lucky I bought my invoice/receipt of my deposit and how much was outstanding. It took about 20 minutes for the staff to understand and charge us the correct amount.

DO NOT USE THIS HOTELS AIRPORT TRANSFER. THEY CHARGE 1,200 BAHT TO GO 5 MINUTES DOWN THE ROAD. In fact we drove past the airport from the main pier when we got to Koh Sumai and noticed how far away the airport is to the hotel. The airport is 5km away from Chaweng beach which is the main beach of Koh Sumai. It is an absolute rip off and a laughable joke at how expensive it is. You can get a taxi for 300 baht or even hail a cab for 200 baht. This needs to change.

There were no tissues in the room. The water pressure of the shower is so weak that we ended up using the hand held shower head attached to the bath which can only be pulled out about a metre. We ended up sitting down in the bath to shower ourselves.

There were constant blackouts during our stay. Many on NYE, and the worst was when we were waiting in the lobby about to go to the NYE party.

Onto the NYE compulsory dinner. They charge 4,500 baht per person. This is a joke and a complete rip off. It was so not worth the 4,500 baht per person.

The towels were ripped in some places and had stains in themand the pillow covers were dirty. I would really like to suggest a linen upgrade.

There was no room service menu in our room. Given our state after the full moon party we just wanted to get some room serivce and have a quiet day. We had to call twice to get the menu deliveried to us.

Overall, despite the bad things we really really enjoyed our stay here, however, If we came back to Koh Sumai we honestly would look at staying elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and would like to apologize for falling short in some areas.

On behalf of the Team, I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies in the service we provided. Please trust that your comments have been noted and we are constantly re-training all staff on expectations and consistency so as to eradicate such incidents.

We are truly ecstatic to know that you will be back and thank you for your patronage. We wish you all the best for 2013 and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Big clean and beautiful hotel room with nice balcony.
Comfortable big nice soft beds with excellent blankets and pillows. Fancy big bathroom, very clean.
The guard speak no english and dont understand any questions. Where to park my car? Where is the reception? We are checking in where? he show us down to the beach, no reception there, thats on the other side of the road, climbing up the stairs in 40 degrees hot. No service in the reception when we got there, no excuses for misleading us, my mother 70 years old, very hot and very tired...
No welcome drink or no golfcar to the room, higher up the steps... bad service for checking in guests in low season, not overworked there.....
The pool areas are amazing and have greate views over the ocean, really nice.
Excellent breakfast with all you can imagine to have for breakfast with stunning views, really nice and really greate service from the staff there.
Will reccomend this for young people not scared for heights, the roads up to hotel rooms and villas are very steap, dangerous to walk there.

Room Tip: Book a room down from the road, more quite and more secluded, no noice from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Many thanks for your nice feedback, it was great to have you staying at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas this summer.

We highly appreciate your positive comments about our rooms and resort atmosphere; It is always our biggest goal to make our guests feel welcome and valued.

We do make note of the short comings at breakfast service and you will be happy to know that we have additional members of our Team who are now helping to make breakfast as pleasant as possible for all of our guests.

We would like to thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts and hope to welcome you again very soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Koh Samui itself is a pretty crazy place but 5 short minutes in a taxi/tuk tuk from the madness up the hill to Bhundari and you would never know it! The resort is set across both sides of the road with the lower part giving you the more luxurious Villas, beautiful infinity pools and direct access to the very quiet beach. We stayed in a Villa on the upper side and couldn't have been happier, the room, the view and the wonderful outdoor shower were all amazing.
Breakfast is served in an idyllic semi outside setting with a stunning view right out to sea, the food was a nice mix of Western and Thai options.
Should we visit Thailand again, we will be sure to include a stay at Bhundhari.

Room Tip: If you can justify the extra for a Villa.....you won't be disappointed, and don't miss the b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas. We aspire to create memories and are always happy to hear that our guests left with beautiful memories.

Our team takes great pride in creating those extraordinary memories and will be thrilled to hear about your feedback.

We can only hope it won’t be too long before we welcome you back.

Until then, we wish you a Happy Year 2013, may it be filled with joy and love, happiness, health and success!

Been to Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui? Share your experiences!