“Wouldn't come here again!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tango Beach Resort

You added Tango Beach Resort to your Saves list
Tango Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   119 M2 Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui, Thailand   |
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Chaweng
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't come here again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The location of the hotel is great as you're right next to the beach but the front desk staff are very rude. They speak poor English and aren't very welcoming at all. The WiFi here is absolutely shocking as it's very difficult to establish a good connection over 10 minutes. I kept asking the staff at the front desk what was wrong with the internet as it keeps disconnecting but all I got back was a mumbled 'it's fine'.

The restaurant area at the bottom of the hotel is totally different to the front area as the staff are excellent there and very helpful. The food served is very good! The rooms could be cleaner as I discovered two black worms during my stay here.

Overall I wouldn't recommend staying here as the negatives outweigh the positives. I would stay at another hotel on Chaweng beach and just have food at the restaurant at night.

Room Tip: Find another hotel and just come to the restaurant at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

First off, I have to mention that after getting the plane/ferry/bus combination to get to Chaweng from Bangkok (total 10 hours of travel/waiting time) .. in terms of how we wished to be treated, this was a nightmare.
We arrived at the front desk where my boyfriend and I greeted the man behind the desk with an extra friendly "hello" as we were excited to have finally reached our destination. I was a bit taken back when the returned greeting was a monotone "Do you have a reservation..?" and without giving me enough time to answer his first question, he bluntly asked for my passport. I politely told him that yes, we did have a reservation and then handed him my passport. After a few moments of him mumbling to himself at the computer, he tells me that there is no reservation. To help him along with the check-in process, I showed him a copy of our reservation confirmation. He looked at it confused and continued to make me feel like I was wrong and that I mustn't have made a reservation. Another few moments passed, and he calls over a lady.. She too, questions the booking and the confirmation I showed them. I understand that in some instances, bookings go missing but to make a guest (who has just arrived at your hotel, gathering their first impressions) feel like they are in the wrong.. not the way to go about it. The situation wasn't treated in a polite manner by the staff, if it was.. I wouldn't have been so shocked. With that being said, I'm not sure if there was a language barrier which made it come across a lot ruder than was intended. After something like 15 minutes, they finally managed to locate our reservation and then asked me to fill in a form and wait some more which took another few minutes.
Other than this experience and the temperamental wifi (not sure if it has to do with the fact you're on an island), the hotel was good. The room was nice and cleaned daily with complimentary water, fresh bath towels and pool towels.
The restaurant has VERY friendly staff and the food is delicious and well worth the price. It's also very nice to wind down in an evening on the beach enjoying a meal and a drink.
Location is about a 10 minute walk from the main restaurant/nightlife area but if you walk through the restaurant you are right on the beach with plenty happening around you.
There were a few more instances of poor treatment by the reception staff but won't bother going further into it. If only the front desk staff were to be properly trained, this place would be great.
By all means, stay at this place but don't expect friendly service to come with it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This place is fine in terms of comfort, facilities, etc however, I could not believe how rude and ignorant the staff at reception were! At check-in we were excited to be on Samui and approached the front desk with a happy "hello" to only be responded to with a mumbled "passports...", no hello, how are you?..nothing! After several minutes of banging the keyboard and flicking through papers, the receptionist told us he couldn't find our booking and gave us a blank stare as if he had exceeded all methods of tracking down our booking. Eventually another staff member got off the lounge to help locate our booking and finally...we were shown to our room.

The room was fine, location is okay, beach is great, restaurant is good (restaurant staff are excellent), hotel is clean...everything is good except for the reception/front desk staff!? Reception staff are the first encounter for guests and the face of the business and they really left a negative impression on me. Everytime we would return to the hotel the front desk would be unstaffed due to the fact that the same staff members are lounging around in the chairs playing on their phones...not even lifting an eye to acknowledge guests or smile. I've now been travelling for 14 months and don't have very high standards for accommodation, but I do believe that manners should always be applied, no matter what sort of establishment you are running!!

At check-out, we received the same attitude as check-in, however had a bill shoved in our face for the money we owed on the mini-bar...no words spoken, just a bill placed on the counter. Unfortunately, I would not stay here again and that's solely due to the cold, unwelcoming feeling achieved by the reception staff on a daily basis.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

my 3 friends and I stayed in Tango for 2 nights. We were there to explore the island and wanted a close location to the Full Moon party which is 30 mins away by speed boat. The resort had an amazing beach and nice little outdoor bar/restaurant. We had a 2 bedroom chalet, good space and not expensive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel was excellent! The staff were friendly and very helpful. Also, the rooms were very well done and kept very clean. The property is beautiful as well and right along the water. The hotel is also located in a nice spot that is very quiet, but a short (10 min.) walk to all of the action. I definitely recommend this place for people that want a balance between fun and relaxation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I am about to check out after a wonderful 2 night stay, I will be back. The staff at both hotel and restaurant are friendly and efficient, smile and be pleasant and you will receive the same. Renovations seem to be finished, no disruptions at present. I am here on my own but there are a mixture of couples and families all enjoying the place. The beach restaurant is a killer, couples will adore it, there are a number of other restaurants next door for other dining options or just sipping a cocktail in a bean bag under the stars. On the road outside are 2 convenience stores, a french patisserie, 3 or so scooter rentals, 2 other bars with pool tables and free wifi. Immediately to the left and past the hotel next door [towards town] I got my washing done for 40 baht a kilo and bought a cooking course, the lady there is lovely. I'm giving it 10 out of 10 for value, location and ambience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We were not told when we booked that there would be renovations on the pool deck directly outside our window, or that the pool would be out of action.
We complained & had to be quite assertive in asking for a room change. Generally, the staff were not very friendly & the resort lacked warmth/character as a result. The bar/restaurant was quite ok (if overpriced), but we found the endless pop music tacky & tedious. There was also insufficient deck chair/lounge space to enjoy the beach - & the pool area is out of action for noisy & messy renovations.
The rooms are comfortable enough - king size bed & bar fridge on the plus side, but felt a little cramped & could do with a bit more attention to cleaning. Also, a few of the appliances were broken (busted coffee maker & no wifi in our room). There was no apology or offer to fix these problems, we just felt bad for complaining.
If I had known in advance what it would be like, I wouldn't have booked it. Most of the problems could've been resolved with better communication (at the time of booking or when we raised a problem), but the staff seem inflexible & unfriendly. Probably not their fault, they're probably not paid or supported enough to deal with the complaints arising from poor management. My message to managers: improve conditions for yor staff & improve customer satisfaction. My message to fellow travellers: don't bother going until things have improved.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Tango Beach Resort? Share your experiences!