“Beautiful resort with friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 / 1 Moo 2, North Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #7 of 102 Hotels in Chaweng
Ko Samui, Thailand
“Beautiful resort with friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I actually live in Koh Samui and work as a teacher on the island. I took my class of children aged 10-11 to visit the Anantara Lawana. We visited to kitchen and learnt how to bake bread. The resort is so beautiful with a calm, relaxed ambiance. The villas are beautiful and have their own pools. The restaurant area is really nice with gorgeous sea views. The resort is so peaceful yet it is ideally situated very close to Chaweng (you can walk there in 15 minutes). They have an award winning restaurant called Tree Tops,in which each table is set in its own private tree house. It looked amazing and I will definitely be coming here in future for the evening.

I would like to thank the Anantara Lawana resort for allowing us to visit and for giving us a tour, I would love to come back and stay one day. Thank you to Lars and Matthias for kindly hosting us. I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear denman84,

It was a true pleasure having you and the children coming for a visit and I’m glad to hear that they enjoyed the “hands on” baking lesson with Chef Matthias in our bakery.

My apology once again for filling up your students with sugar and then leaving them with you… I am sure you had a fun filled afternoon!

Feel free stopping by anytime for a coffee or drink.

Lars Kerfin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

As above I would purchase a room on the beach here and be waited on hand and foot until the funds dried out. Probably wouldn't take that long here but it would be worth it. The distinct smell of Thailand is not present here but the smell of opulence is. The resort is a lot bigger than at first glance and you cannot avoid the feeling of envy if your below stairs neighbour has a pool even if you have a patio with a view. But I digress, would've loved to stay longer and one night was a waste really. Treetop dining looks immense but be prepared to pay a Thai waiters yearly salary in a sitting

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CptnAwsum,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback and compliments here.

I am glad to hear that you had such wonderful stay with us. But in all fairness I have to mention that we are paying our waiters much better than you seem to expect… or if you are serious and prepared to spend a yearly salary of one of my team members I would be extremely delighted having you as one of my guests in Tree Tops. Just please give me at least a 3 days notice as I will have to stock up on my best Champagne… ;-) Ensure you bring enough friends in order to reach the spending level.

Let me know once the lottery win is in and we can get into negotiations for a long term rental of one of our Sea View Pool Villas.

Essen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

the only good things in the hotel are the service and the breakfast.
The swimming pool is lousy , no shadow at all the sun burns you almost to death.
The property sits on a hill and you are always sweating to get around.
The rooms are expensive and small.
Better choose another hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Uwe Jens P,

I appreciate your compliments for the service team and the breakfast, but was certainly surprised about some of your other comments.

Looking around our pool area we have umbrellas for each set of sunbeds. In addition a couple of large coconut trees (around 1 dozen very close by) are surrounding our pool that are giving shade and sun protection. If I wouldn’t have been able to find your reservation profile I would have assumed that you have mixed us up with another resort, but apparently you stayed with us so unfortunately I have no explanation why you couldn’t find shade around our pool…

As mentioned, having reviewed your reservation you have participated in a special discounted offer as an Anantara Vacation Club owner which gave you a significant discount. Therefore I am surprised to hear that you considered the room as being expensive, especially as we have given you a complimentary upgrade to a room on the ground floor because of your recent accident that made it difficult for you to walk.

Again, I’m sorry to hear that we haven’t met all of your expectations but glad to see that the service and breakfast was worthwhile…

Regards

Chiangmai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed over last weekend, Staff in generally friendly and well trained especially the front office staffs. always smiling and ever ready to help. checked out were smooth. Excellent breakfast buffet. However the room were a bit disappointing with small window,bathrooms amenities very poor for a 5 star resort, dispensers for shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and not all dispenser are working and it is frustrating when you take a shower but in general and in fairness the bathroom is clean and spacious.

Overall myself and my partner enjoyed our short stay in the resort althought there are not many wow to share

Room Tip: Request for a room nearer to beach so you don't have to walk too far for breakfast
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Timsaithong,

Thank you for your review and constructive comments. My apology that the dispensers haven’t been working properly and we will certainly alert our team to pay better attention to this.

We would hope getting the chance welcoming you back, potentially for a longer stay, and provide you with a couple of wow experiences as we did for so many other guests.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

I visited the Tree Tops restaurant and booked a table from overseas via email a few weeks prior. I had to make several amendments to the reservations prior to my arrival, and all of my emails were answered with utmost professionalism.

As we arrived at the restaurant, the view was magnificent and the staff was very friendly and professional as well. Food was fresh and visually pleasing.

Good value + Great Service + Great Food + Great View = Must visit when you're in Ko Samui!. Book ahead!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear SFOtravelguy,

Thank you very much for your compliments about our Tree Tops Restaurant and Reservation handling.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon trip of SE Asia, we stayed in a private plunge pool room. From the welcome to the very end, there wasn't a thing we could fault. Our room was delightful, we loved the plunge pool and it was worth the extra money. The infinity pool is spectacular and so is the setting. The buffet breakfast catered for everyone, there wasn't anything you could think of that wasn't there, including woodfired pizzas, freshly made crepes and Thai delights, easy to over eat! The bed was comfy, the shower could have been a little warmer and more powerful but this was minor. We were treated to a special cake to celebrate our honeymoon. The doorman was wonderful and helped is cross the road which was a lovely touch. Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Katie G,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back… maybe on your next Anniversary?

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights in a plunge pool villa and absolutely loved it!! As with other reviewers have mentioned it really is a tranquil place and the staff do go out of their way to make you feel welcome and relaxed. We used the front desk to arrange tours for us and they were more than helpful.

We dined at Treetops one night and that was marvelous, the food and the ambience of the restaurant is really lovely. On another night we opted for 'Dining by Design' which was very private and romantic.

I loved the buffet breakfast, especially the coconut juice, fresh pineapple and chocolate croissants!

If you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing resort for your time in Ko Samui the Anantara Lawana is it!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear dnguyen84,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay that much and also took advantage of our special “Dining by Design” on the beach.

Hopefully we will be able welcoming you back one day.

Lars Kerfin

Been to Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!