“great place, great beach, romantic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 / 1 Moo 2, North Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Saving
Ranked #3 of 61 hotels in Chaweng
Los Angeles, California
“great place, great beach, romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

while checking in had a problem they did not fined our reservation, when they did room was not ready, so we waited an hour, the manager apologized and sent to our room a bottle of Champlain on the house. no matter how hot you are and how upset, after two glasses it was all fine and a start to a great vacation.
great food, very clean.
a Little pricy but you sure get what you paid for.
i highly recommend.

Room Tip: room 2nd floor get some ocean view, first floor get a small garden pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Arik H,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review and your recent stay, especially after we didn’t start of perfectly.

Once again my apology for the delay during check in, but I’m happy to hear that from that moment onwards all went smooth and you enjoyed a wonderful vacation.

Let me know once you plan coming back, so I can ensure that all reservation details will be in our systems correct.

693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

To start off they did not collect us at the airport. When we got the taxi to the hotel other people were receiving a welcome drink and cold towel and somehow they forgot about us, in fact we were standinging around in the lobby for over 5 minutes before someone even greeted us. The girls were all just standing behind the desk. Not a good start since this was the forth hotel we had checked into and all the others had managed great to give us these things.

The room was a plunge pool room and the first thing I noticed upon entering the room was that there was animal droppings all over the balustrading around the pool and down the walls. The outdoor bathroom had bits of cobwebs and things growing in the corners and the drain off the shower was all clogging up with leaves and something white like paper. The walls are in desparate need of a clean and paint job there are yellowish marks all around the place like they had stripped off wall paper and left all the glue behind. Not to mention the lighting in the room was so poor at night time you couldn't even see yourself in the mirror. I can go on and on really and this is the first time I have ever complained on this site. I just think People should know the standard in this hotel is more like a 3 star. Certainly not what I would expect from an anantara hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Tab64,

My sincere apology for the disappointing experience you had with us. It is very understandable that you felt frustrated with us when the airport pickup did not work out properly and once you arrived you encountered a very busy lobby and didn’t receive the proper attention and service. Nothing you could usually expect from us and reason enough for us to ensure we pay better attention to be more consistent, even during heavy check ins.

Based on your comments we have also discussed the room cleanliness with my team and we will certainly improve in the areas possible. The walls might appear to some people sometimes “dirty” but are having actually a wash technique as wall paint. A challenging technique to maintain properly and often misunderstood and something we will review during any potential future renovation.

I appreciate your feedback as it will help us to improve and hope being able to welcome you in the future in order to show you our improvements. Please get in touch with me directly should you return to Samui and I would be happy to organize a stay for you.

Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Just home after spending 21x nights in a pool access room at this resort. We were unsure what we were in for as had originally booked to stay in their Bohput resort .... due to renovations, our booking was withdrawn, but we were offered a pool access room at Lawana, which after some consideration we accepted.
As soon as the gate to our room was opened, we knew we were in for a very nice holiday.
The main pool was lovely and service impeccable, but the arrival of noisy guests with screaming kids quickly made us decide to stay at our own deck/pool which was lovely and peaceful.
Only two niggles ... there was no light at night to be able to see when putting key in the door. We found floodlights in our private garden that weren't working, and on reflection, we should have told the staff about this, but didn't ... may need checking. The other thing, was one of our sun loungers was rotten around the wheel and when I attempted to lift it as an alternative after the wheel fell off, I badly wrenched my shoulder and did my tendons as I hadn't realized how heavy it was. Several trips to the local hospital ensued, but I do not hold the resort in any way responsible .... maybe they could just do a wheel check now and then especially with the rain, to prevent this happening to some one else? I am now under my own doctors care back home.
We quickly made friends with our regular service staff and shop owners across the road ... two excellent restaurants directly opposite; one is a Thai place called Anong, and the other, upmarket fusion fare at The Larder (owned by Brits). Chaweng is only 5 mins by taxi if you want something noisier .... personally, we couldn't wait to get back to the serenity of Anantara after a trip to Chaweng, but we are in our late 50's which might explain that!
Many thanks to Ivan for making our stay more "real".
Just to sum up, Anantara is the only place I would recommend friends to stay at on Samui, fabulous staff, food and the Tree Tops restaurant is a must!
Many thanks to you all .... still smiling, Jenny and Alan Sparks

Room Tip: Pool access room is the best ... even though you share the pool with a few others, everyone respects...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennifer and Alan,

Great to hear that you enjoyed your long holiday so much with us and that my team, especially Ivan, were able to put a little extra touch to it.

My sincere apology for the incident with the sunbed, which we will check upon immediately. I hope your shoulder is better by now and would have hoped being made aware of it during your stay.

Please let me know when you or your friends are planning coming back to Samui and I would be delighted looking after those bookings myself.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We just got back after a 2 day stay in one of the plunge pool villas. The "wow factor" at this resort is the service! It's outstanding across the board from the front desk,golf cart drivers and wait staff to the beach attendants. It never took more than a couple of minutes for any service. The chef even went to the extent of cooking a particular Indian dish for my toddler from our ingredients and recipe.

Rooms are tastefully done up, private pool and sala are very good for relaxing privately. Buffet breakfast covers all one could want at breakfast.

Only downsides are rocky, small beach. Though the free kayak somewhat makes up for it! And location not great. Getting to and from Chaweng requires taxi. Although easily available but still a hassle. Not much the resort can do for these two so called downsides.

Overall fantastic place to stay in samui, reasonable rates for the property and service you get.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear mkajaria,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and compliments on the service of my team which I will share with them happily.

We look forward welcoming you back soon to Samui.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This stylish resort was a great place for a couples getaway. The plunge pool was a nice touch and the privacy of the room was appreciated (there was a little gated courtyard around the pool). The outdoor shower was also very well done.

The restaurant and bar were good although they had somewhat higher prices than standalone equivalents (usual for a resort). The only thing that was sub-par was the beach itself which was a little rocky and small. The view was nice there, though.

The staff was attentive, well spoken and friendly. All logistics were handled well and the internet connectivity was good.

Overall a very nice resort.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear III-Travel-III,

Thank you very much for your feedback and your recent stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation.

Feel free getting in touch with me should you plan coming back to Koh Samui.

Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed one night at this resort. The staffs at reception were friendly, the welcome drink was really special. Really liked the drink. It would be great if the drink is made available in the menu for ordering. The room was tidy, comfortable and clean. However, I think the DVD player was not multi-region. I brought a DVD with a region code of 2+4 but I couldn't play it. No doubt the resort had its own DVD library but it might not have the shows I wanted to watch. The buffet breakfast menu was quite extensive. However, it would be good if the bread and pastries had covers to cover them to keep out the houseflies. The staffs at the spa were polite and friendly. Overall, had a good stay at the resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Tan T,

Thank you very much for staying with us, even though it was a rather short stay.

We will ensure that any DVD players that are being replaced are open for other regions as well, a very valid point, even though it hasn’t been an area of concern yet.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My Husband and I have just arrived home from an amazing 10 nights in this perfect piece of paradise. We had originally booked a room with a plunge pool but made the decision to upgrade to deluxe pool access room a few weeks before we went on our trip. We were so glad we did once we arrived at the resort. We honestly could not fault a thing. Service was beyond expectation, every meal we ate at the resort was beyond superb and sitting overlooking the sea with the sun on our shoulders as we dinned on the amazing buffet breakfast was the perfect way to start each day. We would then return to our personal sala relax some more take a swim and relax the day away before heading out in the late afternoons to explore Koh Samui by night.
Our room attendant waem went above and beyond each and every day. Two days after arriving my husband become quite ill not sure what from but he spent two full days in bed. Our room attendant was so respectful and so quietly worked around him whilst he was bed ridden. Every night she did our turndown service there was an extra little touch. She should be praised as she was just perfect we looked forward to seeing her smile each day. We had read a lot of bad reviews before leaving and had some concerns, not one of them was warranted. People really need to remember they are in South East Asia YES there are and always will be Mosquitos but they are so easily controlled with some common sense. YES occasionally no matter where you are especially when the skies open as they will things can get a little smelly, but this is everywhere due to the drainage throughout South East Asia. We also enjoyed meeting the other guests that were staying in the same room type of ours as we floated around in the pool... Big hello to Jen and Al from NZ who still had a week left in paradise on our departure. Also special mention to Ivan (executive manager) it was so great to meet you and thanks for sending Theo a coconut to drink when he was recovering from being unwell, it certainly helped. Then calling in to check on us, the good laughs and chats we had with you were great, a shining example of hospitality and service that is so hard to find these days, a lot of people in the industry could learn many a thing from Ivan.
Overall; if we could, we would return tomorrow without hesitation. And we loved the semi outdoors shower and toilet it was awesome ending the day under a warm shower under the stars...even when the frogs joined me!
Don't even hesitate just go..... Room 201 our perfect paradise Koh Samui home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear JacalynF,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments here on TripAdvisor including the compliments of my team members Khun Waem and Ivan my Assistant. I will certainly pass them on to them.

We hope being able welcoming you back and will ensure that you have another fantastic stay in your favorite room.

Lars Kerfin

Been to Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!