“Wonderful !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 / 1 Moo 2, North Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 62 hotels in Chaweng
London
“Wonderful !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at the Anantara Lawana with my husband & his sister & brother in law to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary & their 30th & we had a wonderful time.

The staff were absolutely lovely, always polite, helpful & very smiley. The food was very good, a wide choice for breakfast, all freshly cooked.

We also ate at the Treetops Restaurant which was amazing & the Ocean Kiss Restaurant which has a lovely atmosphere & great view to go with the good food. At the Ocean Kiss we had a complimentary set dinner which was great accept that there were no choices, it was completely set & my husband & I do not eat red meat, so not the best option for us, my in laws ate the beef dishes, but if you had been a vegetarian, or we had been on our own, some of it would have gone to waste which would have been a real shame for such good food. It was complimentary though so we can't complain & the quality of the food that we did eat was exceptional.

The rooms are beautiful, we had a standard room which was big, clean & very nicely decorated. The bed was adorned with towel animals & flowers most days, with a special effort on our anniversary. You also get a weather report on a leaf when they turn down the bed at night. There is a big bathroom & a lovely balcony with day bed to lounge on. I could have stayed here for months, it was heaven !

The pool is stunning, very clean with plenty of sun beds here & on the beach & the pool staff are brilliant, you get a cold towel on arrival, they set your beds out for you & they bring frozen fruit at about 11am & fruit kebabs in the afternoon.

The gym is clean & well equipt, all in working order & there is a spa & library which we didn't use but both looked very good.

Overall, a great hotel, great staff & exceptional service.

I was worried that this would be too near busy Chaweng Beach, but it's right up the end of the road, a 20 minute walk or so down to the main town, so far enough away for perfect peace, but close enough to the action when you wanted it. It's also not too far in a taxi to Fisherman's Villiage, which is well worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear MouseDJ,

I’m glad to hear that you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the special occasions with us.

My sincere apology that you haven’t been offered any alternative main courses for the complimentary set dinner. A very valid comment we will look into immediately and will start offering choices from now on.

Again, we are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us and looking forward welcoming you back soon.

618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this resort in June for a week. We were greeted upon arrival at the airport by an our pick-up. The hotel is literally less than 10 minutes from the airport so we were happy to be there soon.

We arrived and were not greeted at the entrance by anyone. We walked up to the main area, where we were greeted by a receptionist, sat down and given a drink and a cold towel. Very quickly the formalities started. We decided that we wanted to upgrade our room, and she was very helpful in organising that for us - so we ended up upgrading to a sea view pool villa suite! We did stay for the first night in the basic rooms - these are very small and dark and frankly we felt we needed the space and light and couldn't wait to move to our villa.

The villa is spacious with a living room, bedroom and large bathroom with both indoor and outdoor shower. The pool area has two sunbeds and a separate lounge/deck area too. Overall it is okay, but compared to other villas in Phuket, Bali etc, I felt the standards were low.

The maintenance of the room needs serious improving. The bathrooms have stone floors and walls which look worn out and are clearly difficult to clean. The rest of the furniture looks tired, the cushions look like they haven't been washed in ages. The outside decking is okay but a bit wobbly. I could see why this had happened - during our stay the housekeeping girl who was very sweet, came alone to clean the villa. In other resorts we have stayed at, there is normally a team who does a villa given how much there is to clean. She literally changed the sheets and towels, did a quick sweep and dust and left. On numerous occasions we found things still unclean. I did raise this with a receptionist one day, and she said she would look into it. In the whole week we were there, the floor was not mopped/washed once. The pool also wasn't cleaned, and I was told by the receptionist that it is 'self-cleaning' but it looked a little unclean to me. The areas around the pool were littered with metal bits etc, which on the one day when the gardners did come, they swept everything into the bushes.

Anyway, we didn't let this spoil our holiday.

We had breakfast at the main restaurant every day. Warning - its outside and gets very hot.
The breakfast spread was not bad. It was not that well maintained, and the service was totally inconsistent! One day we would get showered with teas and coffees and the next we had to wave and shout for someone to come over to get a coffee. Plates were never cleared from our table, it took forever, and given the number of flies around I had to keep asking for someone to clear them. The waitresses were standing around chatting and didn't seem to bothered with service. We ended up with a table near the kitchen a few times, and I saw how the food was being brought out. One day I saw a kitchen had with a whole slab of Brie cheese, open, and lying on a bunch of packs of butter, all being held against her apron - suffice to say I didn't touch the cheese after that!

We used the main pool area a few times. It has a great view, and lots of sunbeds, but little privacy as they are all very close together. We didn't use the beach much. The service at the pool is excellent, someone coming straight over to help you with a towel and get you a drink.

The most disappointing part of our stay was that we were never once asked by management or front of house staff, how our stay was going, and if they could do anything. I was really keen on ringing the GM to give the above feedback in person, but frankly I didn't want to cause a fuss on holiday. However, given that we were staying in one of the top villas, I would expect a courtesy call from someone to check in on us....that is pretty much the norm in most hotels of this standard.

Finally, this hotel has ALOT of steps, good for exercise though, perhaps not for pushchairs etc, and the golf buggys don't make it all the way to the villas.

The location is great. We rented a scooter and rode around the island, seems to be the easiest/cheapest way to get around. I have reviewed many restaurants as well.

I know many people have raved highly about this resort, and frankly it is a good 4 star resort and value for money. But if you are looking for luxury, amazing service and food - this is not it.

Dear sxstraveller,

It sounds like you enjoyed the overall of your stay which we are certainly very happy about. We also appreciate to hear how we can improve and you clearly had a couple of experiences which disappointed you for very good reasons.

First of all, please accept my apology that we haven’t had the chance to meet during your stay. We try to respect the privacy of our guests in their rooms and villas and therefore would only call in if there is a need. Otherwise we try to meet our guests throughout the resort and during our regular Management cocktails. Having stayed with us for a week I am very confident that an invitation has been extended to you. Based on your feedback I assume that the timing didn’t fit your schedule. I would have most certainly enjoyed meeting you during your stay and hearing the feedback personally from you.

You are sharing a couple of situations which are concerning to us as well as they do not reflect at all what we want to achieve in terms of guest experiences. Based on other guests feedback I am certain that those are unusual and singled out cases, but we will take it as an opportunity to refocus on those areas you mentioned to ensure we are consistent.

As mentioned, your feedback is very appreciated and helpful and we would be delighted being able welcoming you back some day and show you our improvements. Feel free getting in touch with me directly to arrange this.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My friend and I just returned after 4 days at Anantara Lawana. We were impressed right from the start with the smiley staff and a very nice welcome drink. Being upgraded to a deluxe plunge pool room was just great ! The resort kept in marvellous condition throughout and also aromatic. It's such a perfect location to relax and unwind yet close to the nightlife of Chaweng. (there's a convenient store which opens 24/7 just in front of the property)

The breakfast buffet at the Ocean Kiss restaurant was fantastic especially various choice of juices and amazing view of the sea. Although the beach is not ideal for swimming, the infinite pool can easily replace that. Plus, there's a happy hour from 6 to7 pm. at the pool bar.

Big thanks to the staff at Anantara who made our trip unforgettable (I'm a friend of Aoi, the wine guru). We thoroughly enioyed our stay and absolutely recommend this hotel to everyone especially for couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear DaruneeK,

Thank you for your recent visit. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had a good time at our resort.

We hope being able welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just came back from 11 nights here as part of our honeymoon. We upgraded to a pool room which is recommended, the pool is bigger than expected and in its own private garden with terrace area. All pool rooms have another room above them, who have a balcony instead of a pool. I don't know if we were unlucky to be underneath a herd of elephants but every single noise travelled down to our room, also there are no full length mirrors at all in the room?
There are 2 restaurants in the hotel- Tree Tops and Ocean Kiss.Tree Tops serves dinner only in 2 sittings- 6pm and 9pm. It's a fantastic restaurant, a unique experience eating high up on platforms in the trees. To be honest this is not the type of place you eat every night, it cost us about £140 for a 3 course meal for 2 not including wine.
Ocean Kiss is where the buffet breakfast is served (great international selection) and lunch and dinner. They have either a Thai or Italian menu. As part of our package we had free 3 course dinner including wine which is nice. On a few occasions they had BBQ's on the beach, or buffet and fire show on the beach. We went to one of these and it was a nice atmosphere. It cost £26 for the buffet per person, not inc. drinks
Pool Bar- when you are at the main pool you can order pool snacks and drinks. To be honest the prices were a bit steep- a Coke for example was 95 BHT plus 10% service and 7% tax which is about £2.50. There is a 7/11 convenience shop directly opposite the hotel entrance where a Coke costs 12 BHT (25P).
Recommended places to eat in Chaweng- Eat Sense and Spirit House are great restaurants.

Location- The hotel is in a great location, close enough to the action at Chaweng Beach but far enough away to be tranquil. You can get a taxi from outside the hotel or a tuk tuk which is much cheaper. You can walk to the centre is about 25 minutes.
We went on a few trips, the whole day safari/ temple visiting was good. The other was the day trip by speedboat to Anthong National Park which had some spectacular views.

Service- everyone at the hotel was really helpful and friendly. Special mention to the young French man at the front desk who helped us on more than one occasion with bookings and taxis. Also the front of house lady at Ocean Kiss who remembered us everyday.

Overall I would recommend this hotel- but perhaps not for a honeymoon simply because there are families at the hotel and quite a few children.

Room Tip: The resort involves some walking up and down many hills and steps. You may wish to request a room cl...
Dear sunbeammoonbeam,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and that you have taken the time to share it here on TripAdvisor is much appreciated.

My apology if the guests above you have been noisy. Usually a very rare problem and if the reception is informed we would have been happy to ask the other guests to turn it down a bit.

I hope when comparing the atmosphere and service team around the pool against the 7/11 across the street you can see a justification for the prices of a coke. But we will certainly keep on monitoring our pricing in order to stay in line with other 5 star properties on the island.

Usually there are only limited numbers of children in the resort due to the concept and setup of it. It must have been a rather rare occasion that children became disturbing around the pool and I would like to apologize should that have been the case.

Nevertheless, we are looking forward welcoming you hopefully back in the future… even as a small family 

nortelnet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Just returned from a 9 night trip and can't wait to return !!! We opted for a deluxe pool access villa and this was the best decision we made! The room was fantastic the best I have ever stayed in ! Def worth the extra !! We totally relaxed on this holiday and that was due to,the room and the lovely staff at this resort . We always welcomed our. "Good morning how are you" from Pia every morning such a lovely member of staff ! Breakfast was excellent vast choice ! We were lucky also to meet Apple and Guan at the management cocktail evening -again lovely staff and a lovely gesture by the management , we got to,meet the other lovely staff. We did go to the "Tree tops" restaurant one evening on our trip and whilst the setting is wonderful with attentive staff the menu choice we found very limited and it is very expensive we found but nice to do once .maybe ! We loved Cheweng and found a great , cheap bar with great music and staff called "legends" no happy hour just cheap drink all day and great music ! Big "Hi" to Dia my cocktail maker for the holiday and also big thanks also to Anna and her friend who served us and made us feel so welcome. If you go there please go to Legends ! Also worth a visit the Ice Bar - if nothing else to get some good holiday pics ! Weather was good and we are now hooked on Koh Samui !

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra def to for the pool access room -with the biggest bath I have ever seen...
Dear Nortelnet,

Thank you very much for the positive comments about your experience at Anantara Lawana. I will certainly share your compliments with my team, including my secretary Khun Apple which you had the pleasure meeting during our Management cocktail. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.

Tree Tops food items are of the highest quality and in order to ensure that they are always fresh we have to keep the menu rather small. We still hope being able to have something for every taste available.

Thank you once again for the feedback and we can’t wait welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came to stay here on a romantic getaway. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted with friendly smiles and a delicious welcome drink!

We arrived early in the morning but were shown to our (upgraded!) room, which included our own private pool, straight away and we were blown away! This resort is absolutely fantastic with the finer details from the healthy breakfast shots, to the rose petals and the quirky towel-animals on the bed.

Everything that this resort had to offer, we utilized 100%. From lounging by the pool, to a relaxing facial and massage at the Anantara Spa. We even enjoyed a unique dining experience at the renowned TreeTops Restaurant. Even though this was a bit expensive, it was an absolutely unforgettable experience and one you do not want to miss! We also ate lunch at the Ocean Kiss restaurant several times which was great as well.

The front desk organised us a scooter to get around the island, and it was a great way to get to the main beach, Chaweng, which is about a 5 minute drive from the resort. We found the location to be ideal because it wasn't too busy, but it is still very close to the restaurants, shops and bars that Chaweng Beach has to offer. There is also a Family Mart directly across the road which has anything you may need. We loved Anantara Lawana so much, that after leaving Koh Samui for a week, we booked to come back and stay for two more nights and now are even enquiring about having our wedding here! All of the staff were so helpful and genuine and we think it is a testament to how the resort is run. A must-stay if you come to Samui!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Love_by_Sarah,

Thank you very much for staying with us… not only once, but twice within your vacation. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we have been able to make it memorable for you.

We would be certainly delighted helping you with your wedding and can’t wait seeing you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We are very glad that we chose the Anantara Lawana, the location is perfect, away from the hassle and bustle of chaweng but close enough to join in.
We stayed at on of the pool Acces Villas which I can really recommend, the pool is approx 20 x 7 meter... You may have to share the pool with 4 villas, but in our case we had it for ourself for most of the time...what a dream! The room has everything you may need, sat. TV, DVD player, a minibar filled to the rim..a huge bathtub, a small room for your suitcases and clothing. Outside is a private sala and 2 very comfy sun loungers..
Only complain may be that watching TV is not so easy with the bedposts always obstructing the view.
The breakfast is served at the ocean kiss restaurant ( beautiful location) the variety of foods (for all nationalities) as well as the service was always amazing ...
The front of house staff are all extremely friendly and very helpful so where the ladies cleaning our room twice a day. Overall a fantastic resort!

The Anantara vacation club in short AVC......

While busy checking in we where approached by a very friendly lady who invited us for a 90 minutes presentation with a reward of baht 4000 voucher, on my question if this is a timeshare presentation she politely denied it and told us it is for the anantara vacation club, something different!
The next day we got fetched by a limousine and brought to the AVC centre located at Bophut beach. So far so good!
An extremely friendly Malaysian lady started a sales talk (no hard sale) where we immediately realized that this is timeshare. I told her strait away that we are not interested to make a long time (being already 57) commitment till 2040 and as well that any bigger financially commitments should also be handed by my accountant. Which was ignored from then on.
After around 1,5 hours sweet talk an English manager came and introduced himself, drawing some numbers on a piece of paper and told us that we have to sign immediately (for a US$78.000.00 deal or pay a deposit of US$ 7700 immediately than US$600 every month for the next 10 years only but the contact would run till 2040)
As this is a special offer and is only valid now! When I asked if I can take his calculation home to check it out as this is a vast sum of money for anybody, he denied and told us that we are not allowed to take the Brochure nor the calculation home! There were a couple red flags that went up immediately.
The first was when we were told the purchase of any upper elite tier packages was only available the day of the presentation. The second and final deal breaker was that we never actually got any type of contract to review prior to them wanting the 10% deposit paid with no credit checks done etc.. The final red flag was that he also asked us, when we wanted to leave, that if he reduces the overall price significantly would we consider paying a deposit!
Needless to say, We did not go through with the purchase. It was just too fishy!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Petkyte,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing this wonderful review. We appreciate hearing that you enjoyed your vacation and that we’ve been able to play a great part of it.

In regards of your comments regarding the Anantara Vacation Club I have forwarded your comments to them as they are a different business unit to us and operate independently from our resort. Please see in the following the response of Robert Martini, Vice President of Sales Anantara Vacation Club:

“Dear PetKyte
Firstly I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of Anantara Vacation Club and also thank you for your valuable comments . Anantara Vacation Club is known as a Shared Ownership luxury leisure product which is indeed different to the ‘traditional’ timeshare weeks based system, as it is underpinned by a highly flexible Points based ownership system offering its over 3000 Club Owners many usage options which the traditional timeshare model does not. Having said that Shared Ownership Points Clubs are a form of timeshare designed to meet the needs of today’s consumer lifestyles. The promotional representative should have advised you of this at the time. We are addressing this issue thru counseling with the person concerned.
Anantara Vacation Club offers consumers two types of Club Ownership. Firstly there is “Basic Ownership” package which varies in costs depending on the number of Points acquired and can be purchased at any time. The other Club Ownership package offered is the ‘Elite Ownership’ which has 4 differing categories all varying in costs depending on the tier level & number of Points acquired. ‘Elite Ownership’ carries with it significant additional benefits & privileges that are made available only on our guests first presentation visits.
In relation to your preview presentation I am also addressing with the representative concerned your experience as it appears they were not clear on pointing out the differentiation between the ‘Basic & Elite’ packages and also that the costs do vary dependant on the Ownership tier and number of Points acquired these factors would have influenced the cost reduction mentioned to you thru an offering of lesser Points presented to you as an alternative.
Thank you again for your valuable input as this allows us to improve our service delivery.”

With best regards

Lars Kerfin

Been to Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!