“terrible, unhygienic, not a 5* hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa

You added Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 / 1 Moo 2, North Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Bophut, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Chaweng
4.5 of 5 stars 861 Reviews
Paphos, Cyprus
“terrible, unhygienic, not a 5* hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Don't waste your money or holiday time at this hotel. Stay elsewhere in Koh Samui. We paid for 7 nights and we stayed only 1 night. We travel a lot, always staying at 5* hotels across the globe and we were never deceived like this before. This is not a 5* hotel. Check out the link below to a selection of our photos so as you can judge yourselves. Do not look at the nice looking photos on the company's website; they were probably taken many years ago when this hotel was new

Here are the reasons you should not stay here:
1) In our view, it is not a 5* hotel, you don't get what you pay for
2) The bathroom area of the rooms is dirty and unhygienic
3) The running water in the shower and water basin smells so bad, you can't really take a shower. We were concerned for our health. The jacuzzi is so dated and dirty, it looks disgusting
4) The hotel is dated. It hasn't been refurbished for years and the hotel company is undertaking such refurbishment work currently at the guests' expense, i.e. they carry out construction work while operating normally rather than shutting this place down to fix it properly
5) If you are looking for a relaxing holiday, this is not the place for you due to 4) above. The construction work looked not to be ending any time soon
6) The mosquito situation is beyond control. We stayed elsewhere in Koh Samui, in other locations in Thailand and even in less developed areas such as Vietnam, Cambodia and rural China and have never experienced anything like it. The hotel should be addressing this problem better if they want to be a 5*
7) The general manager of the hotel, Mr. Lars Kerfin, promised we would get a refund for any remaining nights we did not use provided he can let out the room immediately to other guests and then he would give us our money back. We informed him of our decision to check out and we did so immediately. We contacted the hotel two days later and we were informed by the reservations team that the room was gone. However, we never received a refund. The hotel got paid for our room twice!
8) That manager admitted that "there are problems here and there". All they care about in this hotel is maximing revenue from a run down property as evidenced by the fact that upon our return from Koh Samui and submitting a request for a refund through our travel agent, such request was declined by the hotel

The manager did offer us alternative accommodation (an upgraded room). Upon checking out that room ,we realised the problems we had with our room apply to other rooms as well. We decided not to waste any more time and we checked out. The quality was simply not the quality we paid for. When you pay for 5* hotel you want a 5* hotel

I include here a link to photographic evidence so as you can check for yourselves if this hotel is a 5* quality

Photos:
A) Bathroom
B) Outside area
C) Slippers - they offered us used slippers! Not that we care about the slippers but it tells you a lot about hotel quality
D) Construction work

We never stayed at Anantara Hotels before and we will never stay in the future

We found paradise elsewhere in Koh Samui and we are glad we checked out of this hotel after just 1 night so as our entire holiday is not ruined

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear GFereos,

I do have to salute you for the efforts you went through and apparently are still making in order to take revenge for what you perceived as unfair treatment. You communicated very clearly to me within the first 2 minutes of our conversation the actions you will be taking in case you won’t get a full refund. I assume that I will have to wait in this case being contacted by your lawyer and embassy as well.

As much as I understand your frustration about being charged for nights you haven’t been using I would like to take the opportunity as well to add some additional perspective on some of your comments.

You obviously went through a great extend of time and effort to find areas which will look poor on pictures in the little time you spent in our resort and even did not hesitate entering areas which have been closed for the public because of the replacement of walkways. I believe I will have to apologize to the construction company as I complaint to them about having foot prints in the concrete walkways in some areas which had to be redone. I assumed their workers did not pay attention but apparently there is the possibility that one of our guests walked over wet concrete while being on picture hunt. The walkway repair stopped actually the day after your departure as I assured you already during our conversation.

Walls you’ve haven taken pictures of are showing a special wash paint technique which are supposed to show different shades of color and are part of the design.

If the slippers have been in fact been found in the conditions you are showing I certainly would like to apologize for this…again. Usually all slippers are replaced for new arrivals as a standard procedure.

Unfortunately you are quoting our conversation and some of my statements not correctly which I assume might be based on a misunderstanding and not by purpose. I offered you several alternatives which you refused, some of them even without looking at. At no point of time have you been promised or confirmed a refund. In fact, I stated very clearly the conditions of your discounted rate booking and that even a partly refund cannot be applied. I am not sure where you got the information from, that the room has been sold again but upon being contacted by your travel agent we have shown the agent prove that this was not the case. Based on that your agent agreed that a refund is not justified.

I’m glad to hear that you have found a place on Koh Samui you enjoyed and were able to spend a relaxing vacation.

Regards

Lars Kerfin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
W Yorks England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Well this visit did not get off to the best of starts when our airport transfer dropped us off inthe car park rather than at the entrance to the hotel foyer. It has to be said that the entrance and walk up to reception was not to our taste as it is quite drab and dark in colour. During checkin we were informed that we had been upgraded to a Deluxe Plunge Pool Room but after seeing it we decided it was not for us due to the toilet being on the outside of the room even if it was still within the confines of the room area.I have to say that Ivan and Took were great in dealing with our issues with th room offered and eventually we decided to upgrade to a Pool Villa at extra expense (but is was worth it). After the initial problems of checkin we then had a delightful 7 day stay at the resort.
The most impressive part of the resort is the pool and beach area which housed the infinity pool Ocean Kiss Reataurant and Champagne bar. The Beach was kept clean daily and the whole setup with the loungers was great. We tried the Treetops restaurant on our last evening and had a great meal and service. Overall the hotel staff are very helpful and kind, special thanks to Kate in the Ocean Kiss restaurant for the great service at breakfast and for making us all feel special.
All in all a great visit. By the way the hotel did show us the standard deluxe room which we had booked and we would have had that room if we had not seen the pool villa rooms, so maybe we had not been upgraded we may not have had the issues at checkin.

Room Tip: Pool Villas are great if want to treat yourself
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear banksy677,

Great to hear that Ivan and Took have been able to find a solution for your initial disappointment and helped making this an enjoyable stay for you.

Thank you as well for sharing the compliments about Kate which we will pass on to her.

We hope being able to welcome you again in the future and if you could contact me personally I will arrange a transfer with our own cars that will ensure that you are dropped in front of the lobby and not in the car park.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have just returned from 10 nights at this beautiful resort. We stayed in room 109 which is a sea view villa with private pool, it is completely worth the extra money and to wake up everyday to the most beautiful view was amazing. The villa was lovely furnished and the outside showers (2) and the outside toilet just made the whole thing a wonderful experience.

The staff were great and did everything with a smile and did their upmost to make our stay pleasurable.

The only recommendation I have made to the hotel is to place a mirror in the air-conditioned part of the suite as the only one was in the outside bathroom which did not have great light and was a challenge getting ready in the humid evenings.

The breakfast was lovely with a huge choice and takes place in one of the most beautiful settings I have ever had the privilege to enjoy.

The pool looked lovely but we never used it, for those that do, I would say the sunbeds are a bit close together however the ones on the beach offer more privacy.

Tree Tops - The setting is lovely and really feels like private dining, the food was fabulous and while it was expensive it was really worth the experience. Seeing the sunset is not an option but the view in daylight is stunning and as the setting darkens the candles coming on create a lovely atmosphere.

Location - the hotel is just outside Chaweng and it cost 200 Baht each way, the bars and restaurants cater for all tastes. Fisherman's Village is slightly further 400 Baht each way, here the restaurants are quieter and a bit more relaxing than Chaweng.

We could not fault this hotel in any way and will definitely return, now that we have experienced room 109 it would be impossible to stay anywhere else. If you are looking for a lovely holiday experience then this hotel would be a great choice.

Absolutely amazing time.

Dear happycyprus,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your compliments here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that we converted you to a repeating guest of Anantara Lawana.

We will certainly take your recommendation regarding the mirror onboard and this is actually part of the upgrades we will do during the course of the year. So once you return I am confident that you will see significant improvements.

Please feel free getting in touch with me directly for your next visit so we can ensure that your favorite room is assigned for you.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Anantara Lawana is a beautiful resort with the most friendly and serviceminded staff. They did everything with a smile and nothing was impossible. Thank you for making my husbands birthday so nice with cake and song. I had read Tripadvisor before I arrived and I had not so high expecations but you took me by surprise. The pool and beach area is fantastic and I can not understand why some people complain about the beach. Our pool villa was so nice and the only thing that I missed was a bigger wardrobe for our clothes. The distance to Chaweng was closer than I thought. It was just a 10 minute walk. I highly recommend this resort to everybody. You won´t be disapointed. I was around and looked at some other resorts but this was the very best.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tina6505,

Thank you very much for your very positive feedback.

We certainly enjoy surprising our guests in a positive way and our understatement could be actually been seen as a strengths.

Hopefully we will be able welcoming you back one day for another birthday surprise.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Im writing to let you all know how fantastic Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa is. My Husband and i recently returned from 7 night staying in this hotel and we will definitely be back. We have been to Thailand 4 times now and for our next trip to Thailand I wont have to spend ages searching for the best hotel as we have finally found it!! The resort is absolutely stunning, we upgraded to the Plunge pool room and we were very happy with it. Beds are very comfy which is unusual for Thailand and the rooms were services daily including a turn down service with a cute little green leaf left on the bed explaining the next days weather. The first day after checking in we went out for a bit and retuned shortly after dinner to find a bottle of French champagne and a chocolate cake with "Honeymoon" written on it. They knew we were coming for our honeymoon so it was a lovely surprise. The pool area is the best I have seen so far. There are so many lovely day beds and lounges with three areas to choose from. The pool that over looks the ocean is just stunning and the beach itself is the best along the strip, we did a walk around and this resort had the larges stretch of beach free from rocks and rubbish. During the day near the beach and pool area staff walk around offering refresher towels along with little fruity icy cups to cool you down and later in the afternoon fruit.
The buffet breakfast is amazing!!! best breakfast buffet I have ever seen and I have travelled the world. They have everything you can imagine and the quality is fantastic. I loved how they walked around offering a special Juice of the day or some type of different food to try aside from the huge Varity available at breakfast time. You can request any type of eggs you like and they are cooked fresh especially for you. The staff were all fantastic and I would like to say How lovely ‘Kate’ was who we saw every morning and made sure every desire was met. She even went out of her way every morning to make a special tea to help my husband who was sick with the flu. The tree Top restaurant was good but you need to book the day you get there or even before you go to secure the table and time you want. Food at the pool bar was also excellent, we regularly enjoyed happy hour where you get cheaper cocktails while listening to a 2 piece band serenade you as the sun goes down. The free coconut crisps from the bar as delicious!!! Managers cocktail party was fun and I was pleased I got to Thank you Lars for helping me arrange the room upgrade as a surprise for my husband and also tell you personally how fabulous this hotel is.
I am a flight attendant so I stay in hotels all the time and this is by far the best one I have stayed in. The staff work hard to keep it clean and tidy and always are so friendly and willing to help. While I thought this hotel was much closer to the main strip please note its actually about a 20 minute walk, however the took tooks come by regularly for 100 THB ($3.00 AUS) its easy to catch one of those into town. However we actually preferred being further away as the beaches were more private and clean and it was extremely peaceful, you are not crammed in next to other resorts. There is a convenience store opposite the hotel if you need to buy snacks or drinks. One morning at breakfast we got offered an Ipad to use so my husband could catch up on the news back home which he really enjoyed. We kept saying it’s the little things that this resort offers that surprise you and make your stay even more special, little things you don’t expect but things that set this hotel apart from others. Truly was a fabulous stay and we are so glad we found this hotel and cant wait to return.
Thanks to you Lars and all your lovely staff for the best trip. Kate Williams and Daniel Lee

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Kate W,

Not sure how to express best how grateful we are for this fantastic review. Definitely a motivation booster for our entire team as it shows that all the little things we are doing are making a difference to the guests stay.

I am glad to hear that the surprise arrangements worked out well and that the bottle of Champagne was appreciated and enjoyed.

Only thing they got you on is the charges for the transfer to town, which is actually THB 50/person. I hope you paid the THB 100 as a couple as you would have overpaid otherwise.

We are all looking forward welcoming you back hopefully very soon and having a chat over a drink at the Manager’s cocktail party.

Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife and I have been to Koh Samui before and successfully encouraged our adult kids to join us this time. The Anantara Lawana did not disappoint us and all were more than happy with the accommodation. My wife and I had a private pool villa and we did use the pool in the villa every day while still joining the family at the beach or the pool. The ultimate dining in Koh Samui can be found at the Tree Tops Restaurant. The restaurant is an impressive set of structures around a hilltop with amazing views north over the Gulf of Thailant/ The the food, service and accompaniments are international first class and a credit to the staff, equal to the best anywhere. While the price tag is in this range of excellence, the experience is definitely also up to it.
The staff at this resort are exceptional and the management make you feel at home every day with little extras and invitations to management cocktail parties.
We will be back here next year!

Dear 243HappyHoliday243,

It was indeed a pleasure meeting you and your family during the Management cocktail and we appreciate very much that you have taken the time to share your positive experiences not only with us but as well with the TripAdvisor community.

Hopefully we will be able to host once again a small family reunion for you.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed there for 6 nights in January 2013. Not perfect, but quite a wonderful experience overall. The staff firstly are as helpful and friendly as it’s possible to be – especially Sunny, one of the front desk guys. The breakfasts in particular, under their new Executive Chef Matthias Mittnacht are extraordinary – huge variety of tastes, enough for any palate. Location is at the north end of Chaweng, which means away from the crowds, but still a nice and only 15 minute downhill walk into town. The beach seems to be better protected than in Chaweng proper so it’s also very nice. We spent the extra money to stay in one of the pool villas – with our own private pool as opposed to just a spa. Very lovely, comfortable and private – except for the house directly next door that overlooked our piece of paradise.
Three downsides: 1- the resort site is quite steep. We were mid level and had 55 stairs to go to and from breakfast. More still to get to the beach. You need to be quite fit to stay here. 2 - our villa was very light on furniture. Only one very small desk and one chair. We had the space, so we would have liked a little dining table, a couple of nice chairs and a nice lounge suite instead of the spare bed fixed to the wall that was meant to be the lounge. 3 – our biggest problem is that the villa was very dark at night. A black ceiling/roof didn’t help. So one puny ceiling light and a few table lamps – just wasn’t enough. The place needs some serious lighting inside at night.
Apart from those gripes, we would highly recommend Anantara Lawana.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear AlbertS,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us and the TripAdvisor community. We will certainly share your compliments with Sunny and Chef Matthias and the other team members.

I am glad being able to tell you that all the points you brought up for improvement are going to be addressed in the future and plans exist to fix them in reasonable time. Should you return to Samui I would be delighted welcoming you again and show you the upgrades we are doing

Lars Kerfin

Been to Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!