“An excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa

Save Saved
You added Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 / 1 Moo 2, North Chaweng Beach, Chaweng, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Advance Saving
Ranked #3 of 61 hotels in Chaweng
Tokyo, Japan
“An excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed here for four absolutely wonderful days in July 2011.

First impressions were excellent - the lobby looks very nice indeed - in fact, the resort in its entirety is very well kept. The room was extremely comfortable, although the shower was rather lacking in power. However, the huge bath next to it was a joy to bathe in.

The swimming pool is huge, and really is gorgeous. It's very much a leisure pool - too shallow to dive into, which is forbidden anyway but great for a quick swim or just standing in and watching the beach or your fellow guests. The rules are supposedly no glass in the pool area, but we saw plenty of people cheerfully drinking cocktails and beers in the pool. Anyway, the pool is probably the best thing about staying here.

The beach is quite nice, although it is more attractive if you go in the water up and then paddle to the stretch in front of the adjacent hotel. The sea was beautifully warm at this time of year, and it is shallow a long way out. It was really pleasant to go back and forth between the pool and the sea.

Breakfast is absolutely excellent, with usual English breakfast fare as well as Thai food and an egg cooking station. Definitely best is the wonderful range of exotic (to me) fruits and fruit juices - the former are cut up by the staff for you.

I felt that the staff were particularly pleasant. Needless-to-say, pleasant, smiling staff are expected at the top end of the hotel industry, but I thought the staff here went beyond that. No matter what their job was, every time I passed a staff member they had a smile and a Sawasdee Krup / Kaa. Can't commend their attitude enough.

Problems? Well, as mentioned earlier, the shower in the room was more a trickle than a shower. The room lighting never makes the room particularly light. Perhaps they were trying to help us set a romantic atmosphere. And when we ordered room service, the waiter didn't know what dish I wanted and had to come to the room to have a look at the menu, although that made me chuckle rather than annoyed me. The room service was, by the way, delicious and surprisingly cheap.

My wife had a spa treatment, and speaks very highly of it.

Definitely worthy of a stay if you are looking for a nice resort in Ko Samui.

One last point - we were not troubled by mosquitoes at all, thanks to the mosquito coils which where changed daily by the staff.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear Samui_Monkichi,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review. We are always glad to hear when we achieved our goal, providing our guests with an amazing stay they love to remember.

Our apology that the room service order did not go very smooth, but we appreciate that you have taken the incident with humor.

My team and I would be glad welcoming you back and thank you for sharing your experience.

693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Anantara turned out be a very expensive experience.
We had booked a Plunge Pool Room. Don't book this room. “A palatial 91 square metres of space” is what the hotel website says about them, but unfortunately this is mostly the bathroom, pool and “living area” - actually an open-air verandah next to the plunge pool, with floor cushions for a sofa. Pass the mosquito repellent. The room was claustrophobic and with no storage. You’d have to watch TV in bed. This is our fault. We should have looked more closely at the floorplan.
So we decided to bite the bullet and either upgrade to a villa at Anantara for a reasonable price or just go back to our previous resort with its massive bargain-priced villa (see my review of the Kirikayan Maenam). I told the front desk that we didn’t like our room and they were very nice about it. In fact, all the staff were always very, very nice, about everything. I said that we would upgrade but only for the difference between the advertised internet rate on Agoda betweena Plunge Pool villa and the much larger Pool Villa, or that we would leave.
They took me in a buggy to check out the villas. They seemed OK and the extra price was the same as going back to our old hotel. I'm talking $AUD200. So we changed rooms.
The pool villa had a nice big (but quite shallow) pool, a big covered sala with a proper sofa and coffee table, convenient powerpoints for your iPod dock or whatever, sunbeds, greenery, a view to the ocean.
But how’s this for design nous? The only toilet was completely exposed to the outside living area. Sitting on the outdoor sofa you could watch your friend doing a poo, and maybe have a nice chat. "How's that grogan going? You sure sure have been sitting there a while, Francine." Or sitting there on the dunny, you could chat with your guests! No matter if the fabric modesty screen was up or down, everyone would be able to hear absolutely everything. That’s just plain weird design.
The villa had towering wooden ceilings which had a lovely shingled look. There was a TV and a DVD player on top of the minibar cabinet. There was no TV in the bedroom section however. Be aware of this if you like to watch TV in bed. Also be aware that if you need soundproofed zones in a large, very expensive villa room (that is, doors that can close and block out sound while someone is in the bedroom sleeping while you watch a DVD), this is not the villa for you. There was no music system (such as a iPod dock). Task lighting was quite good – effective lamps to reduce glare, you could read in bed, and they even offer additional reading lamps if you want to request them.
As usual with big hotels, the fridge was packed with unwanted overpriced luxury and basic foodstuffs and beverages. I went to reception and told the nice lady there that we would not be buying anything from the minibar and to please remove absolutely everything from the fridge while we were out at dinner, and this they did, except for the chilled beer glasses. So good on them for that. There is a Family Mart directly across the street from the hotel where you can buy any drinks. We ordered ice from reception. I do not not believe in using minibars unless desperate. And there was a lady on the corner of the road down to Chaweng who washed our clothes for just 30 baht a kilo! (the usual rate is 40-45 baht from streetside laundries).
WiFi worked well on laptop as well as iPhone. The resort’s library had very interesting things to read, especially some good books about Thailand. There was a quite amazing selection on Asian fine arts and Thai history. Plus a good autobiography by actor Michael Caine – I read it all. Also two free computers in the library, and you could make coffee in there.
Breakfast was good but they ran out of food, like bacon, all the time. One morning when I went to serve myself some the bacon thing had two slices if sodden bread, obviously to absorb fat, and one tiny little piece of rind. A quarter of an hourlater, in a full restaurant, later the situation was the same – no bacon. I watched to see if they filled it up. They didn’t. I ordered an omelette, which was fine, and had one little chicken chipolata with it (there were only two sausages available in the serving vessel – and I mean two actual individual sausages. I took one and left one for someone else.) I would have liked some Vegemite (there were Australians everywhere). The juices were of a high standard compared to most Thai hotels, which seem to prefer coloured sugar water to real juice. Service was very friendly and you get the Bangkok Post. Coffee was fine.
Next morning I made myself a salad-and-meat sandwich (with lovely fresh wholemeal bread that I cut myself from a large rustic loaf) for breakfast. “Looks yummy,” said a passing waitress. It was, it was! They even had beetroot.
They didn't offer to drive us to our next destination (it was just down the road), unlike our previous hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book a Plunge Pool room! It's tiny and a rip-off
Dear Subber,

A very detailed and helpful review, which we highly appreciate.

We are sorry to hear that part of our room’s design did not meet your personal taste and we sincerely hope that the alternative our team offered made it still a great vacation experience.

Please rest assured that we have looked into the replacement of food at the breakfast, as we have been very surprised to hear this. Our goal is to provide our food as fresh as possible and not to pre-cook a massive amount which will be sitting in the chafing dishes for hours.
Unfortunately it seems that this approach created some shortages during your stay which we sincerely would like to apologize for. Following a personal follow up check this morning we can assure as well that we are offering again Vegemite as we know about the high demand for this from some of our Australian customers.

We appreciate your feedback and hope we will be able welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed in the Anantara Lawana as part of our honeymoon. We were really looking forward to a nice relaxing time after the mayhem of Bangkok. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon and were greeted very warmly. We were than shown to our room, a deluxe plunge pool room. I had booked this as liked the idea of our own outside space. I was really dissapointed when we got to the room. The outside space reminded me of someone's backyard. The pool was entirely in the shade, the room was so dark, I found it really depressing and there was vitually zero storage space. We stayed a couple of days in the room, finally I had to request a change as I was so unhappy with it. The hotel was very quiet during our stay, there were a lot of free rooms, we tried to negotiate a seaview villa but the price was too prohibitive, I felt that they could have worked with us given that place was practically desserted. We went to a pool villa room which was a massive improvement.

The staff in the resort were brilliant, nothing was too much trouble but at times we found it a little over the top, it could be quite fake. Standard of food was good and the spa was excellent but overall I regretted our choice, I think there are better hotels on the island. Also we never once got so much as an hello from the management despite the fact that they were around the breakfast area most days. My husband works in the hotel industry and he found that a bit strange.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Dublintwinkle,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.

Please accept my sincere apology that we haven't met your expectations in all areas and in particular that we haven't met and chatted personally. Especially as you seem to have had your concerns already during your stay I would have been more than happy to discuss them personally with you and try to find a solution. As you mentioned, either myself or my Assistant are usually spending time around the breakfast area in the morning talking to our guests and if we are not able to catch up with everybody we appreciate it even more if we are getting approached.

As you can see in previous reviews, very often it depends on a very personal taste if a room is liked or not. We do have additional storage facilities available and are able to provide them for customer with more luggage at any time, should this been raised as a concern during the stay.

We are glad to hear that my team has been able to find a suitable solution for you, even though it wasn’t one of our highly demanded Sea View Pool Villas. Even though the entire resort might not be busy, we experience an extremely high demand for this particular room type and it could be very likely that you enquired for the last available villa in that category.

Thank you as well for the positive comments about the friendliness of my team, and I can assure you that it is genuine and from the heart.

Once again, we appreciate your feedback as it will help us serving our future customer better
and we are hoping that you might be one of them again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Currently in the middle of a 2 week stay to celebrate my 40th birthday, wow what a treat, we have stayed at some of the top resorts around the world and this is up there with the best of them. We are staying in a luxury pool villa, it's very spacious and has a large patio with a decent size pool and an outdoor bath, there is also an outdoor shower which is very powerful. Great quiet location but central to lots of good places which are only a cheap taxi ride away, highly recommended , only minor criticism is that some of the staff not speak very good English.
Very clean, pleasant resort and would definately stay again

• Stayed July 2011
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear MJoseph2307,

We appreciate very much your impatience to post a positive feedback about your experience even though you have not even departed yet.

I will get in touch with you personally and hope you will be enjoying the rest of your vacation as much as you did so far.

…and we will be working on our English skills

Looking forward meeting you in person

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We have had the pleasure a spending the most fabulous relaxing fortnight at this hotel. The service and desire to please from all the staff was exceptional, the room private and very comfortable and the chill out factor amongst the best we have experienced, having had several 5* spa hotel holidays recently.

There were some minor works taking place at the resort, but the disturbance was kept to a minimum. Location is great, close enough to Chaweng to get into town easily but secluded enough that you can be undisturbed if you wish. Breakfasts were very good, dining good but at expected hotel prices, and the spa treatments pricey but in wonderful surroundings.

Big thank you to James, Lars and all the exceptional team

Room Tip: We stayed in a private plunge pool room, minimal decor but comfortable, private and very relaxing
Dear UKSteveYvonne,

thank you very much for your very positive feedback. We are glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay so much and there is really very little we can add to your comments.

We apologize once again for the minor disturbance during the redecoration of our Pool deck, but are reliefed to hear that our efforts to reduce this to an absolute minimum has been successful. The work will be finished as of today and you might be interested to hear that part of our pool deck has been turned into a beautiful beach with specially sourced beach sand that is finer than anything you will find on Koh Samui.

We would be delighted welcoming you back and show you our latest enhancement, which we are very excited about, as it is partly based on our guests feedback on TripAdvisor and other sources.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011 via mobile

1. Mosquitos- we were bitten from head to toes, we called the reception and nothing was done.

2. The main pool - big disappointment. The view was really bad, looking over the rocky beach. I am not sure if you can call it a beach.

3. Breakfast- no table every morning, after the second day, we just ordered room service. Also choice of food was very limited.

4. Nothing special in the resort, environment was poor decorated.

• Stayed July 2011
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear Kelly722,

Please accept my sincere apology that our facilities and service didn't meet your expectations.

In the first days of July, in which you apparently stayed, we experienced in fact an increase in mosquitoes and we made an additional none scheduled mosquito treatment in the entire resort. In addition housekeeping doubled the number of mosquito coils in the rooms during turndown service. Based on your feedback I assume that we didn’t communicate those actions very well and I want to apologize for this.

We were surprised to hear that you weren’t able to get a table at breakfast as I am usually personally around the breakfast area during the busiest periods. I am able to remember one day in July on which we had most guests coming at the same time, but thought that we have been able to allocate a table to everybody within a couple of minutes and compensated the waiting time with some fresh juices and coffee. I am confident that if you would have come the following days for breakfast your experience would have been a very different one, including a wide variety of breakfast options. My apology that we didn’t deliver our usual standards straight in the beginning and I certainly understand your disappointment about it.

As previously mentioned, we are sorry to hear that your experience was not as good as it could have been, but would hope being able welcoming you back at some point to give us a second chance.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed there in June 11 on our honeymoon.
Overall it is a beautiful complex but the room is quite small, not many surfaces to put your things on, room is very clean though.
We didn't have the best start when we arrived but things did get better by a day.
We were suppose to have our honeymoon cake and shampange on arrival which were not there when we arrived. When I asked reception are we still getting them them they said we get them later in the evening.. we got the cake at 7pm and champagne was suppose to arrive 2 minutes later when I asked them but it arrived 10pm when we fell asleep waiting for it as we were jetlagged as well..
Didn't like that you can't close the shutters fully in the bathroom so it gets very hot in the bathroom and no air in there, also mosquitos and bugs got in through the bathroom. The biggest shock was when we found a MILLIPEDE in the bathroom, which must have got in through the shutters in the bathroom!!
Also our door lock didn't work very well and we struggled to lock the door.
We had a beautiful view from the balcony to the sea which was good.
Pool is amazing and view spectacular and I guess this is one of their main selling points. Beach itself is not very good though, have to walk 20 minutes in the sea before it gets deep enough to swim.

Looking around in Samui I think it might be one of the best hotels you find there but it definitely needs imrpovements and doesn't stand up with the Thai hotel standards in other Thay cities!

Would reccommend if you want a beautiful view and good swimming pool.

Room Tip: Room with sea view
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerALS, General Manager at Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear diantssdada,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback with us.

We understand your disappointment when the amenities haven’t been delivered on time and we sincerely would like to apologize for that. We hope that even though it arrived late you still enjoyed it. We reviewed internal communication in order to improve our processes and avoid similar situation from happening.

Unfortunately in the tropics and with that many garden areas as we are having in our resort we can’t fully avoid an occasional encounter with insects. You can rest assured that we are doing our outmost to limit the possibilities.

We appreciate very much all the positive feedback you shared with us as well and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be working on the improvements.

Lars Kerfin

Been to Anantara Lawana Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!