“Good food if a little pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Frodsham
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine
Description: http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?keywords=travellers+rest&location=frodsham&scrambleSeed=74846704&searchType=advance&M=&bandedclarifyResults=&ssm=1
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Good food if a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We ate a really well prepared and fresh meal which was a lirttle on the expensive side but the quality was there. What we could not undertand was that the price of the wine was cheaper (by pence) by the glass than by the bottle?

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Sad to lose.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

From being one of our best choice restaurants in the area to one that we would not go to again is a major step. Had been to the Travellers Rest several times previously and had a high opinion of both staff and menu, unfortunately on our visit tonight this view of both elements was seriously revised downwards. The main problem was with the way that the staff dealt with the complaint as to how the steak was cooked, having requested a medium- rare steak and then being brought a medium steak and when after pointing out this error told to check the middle section of the steak to see if that was med-rare. After having done so and still finding, in my opinion, that the steak was not still not as requested the waitress proceeded to tell me that in her opinion the steak was perfect and that I was wrong. I requested that she changed the steak for what I had requested and this was done ,only to find that the second steak was exactly as the first had been. When I told the waitress that the steak was just the same as the first one she again asked that I cut into the different sections of the steak to check if it was med - rare. After checking I pointed out that it was actually worse than the first one, at which point the waitress appeared to want to argue the point and that I did not know what I was talking about. I refused to get into an argument and it seemed pointless to send the steak back again so I told the waitress that I would accept the meal and that I did not want any further argument. The meal was satisfactory if not what I had requested, after requesting the bill no apologies were forthcoming, no offer of free desert or drink were made though there were many glares and comments apparently made in our direction. It's sad that one night's bad experience will in future be the mark against what we always thought was a good place to enjoy a first class meal and a bottle of wine. We go out for a good meal and dining experience not to engage in an argument about the way the steak is cooked. Sorry but Travellers Rest is now definitely crossed off our list. It's particularly sad given the effort that the owners have put into the place to bring it up to the level that it is today after the previous owners let it slip so far from what it used to be. Only hope that this is not the start of the next slide.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Runcorn, England, United Kingdom
“lovely fresh food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

been here twice once with husband and once with a party of 17 and must say both times not been dissapointed lovely freshly cooked food and service excellent have recommended to friends and would certainly make a return visit

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Top notch, nothing more, nothing less”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Was one of the best meals we had while holidaying in the UK. Very cosey atmosphere, staff were very attentive and food was delicious. Great choices on Sunday menu and priced accordingly. Would go back tommorow, but a little too far from Australia.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wirral
“Lots of choice, we presented, value for money.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The menu choices were very varied and reasonably priced, Plenty of room in the restaurant and the staff were very helpful. I had mussels with chips and crusty bread - the best I have ever had. A huge portion - excellent value for money.

• Visited May 2013