“Wonderful celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Frodsham
Cheshire
“Wonderful celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

My wife visits the Old Hall Hotel occasionally with our daughter and they always thoroughly enjoy it, so much so that my wife wanted to celebrate her 60th birthday at the Old Hall and so we did. I booked a table for 26 friends and family members and what a fantastic evening we all had! Everybody thoroughly enjoyed their meals and we had several bottles of the house wines, which were lovely. To start I had soup, which was homemade Broccoli and Stilton. I am a big fan of homemade soup and this was truly delicious. For my main meal I had fillet steak which was perfect, followed by a lovely selection of cheese and biscuits for my dessert. We really could not fault the food we had in anyway, fresh ingredients cooked to perfection and all presented beautifully. Service was fantastic, all staff very helpful and friendly. My wife has since had afternoon tea at the Old Hall and said how lovely it was. Now my niece is having her wedding reception at the Old Hall and I am very much looking forward to our return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and me went to the restaurant in this hotel last night for a birthday meal. We had been before , and expected great things.
The service was impeccable ,as ever . We chose to go for the a-la-carte menu . . .3 courses for around £25 plus drinks.
The soup arrived for my wife . . . .a pretty non-descript affair with a roll which was almost too small to cut. I had 2 black pudding croquettes with a soggy mini salad and a spoonful of apple sauce. . . . .quite tasty though.
Main course for my wife was duck on a bed of bland mashed potato and some of the most tasteless vegetables she had ever tasted. . . . .Oh and a tiny bowl of chips.
My main course was a very small (approx. 5 inches across.) meat pie, the dreaded mashed potato and the same tiny amount of vegetables my wife had.
To sum up . . . . . . .
This meal was the smallest , blandest , most
pretentious I have ever had . . . .Sadly in what was our favourite restaurant .
There is no excuse - the place was virtually empty . We did not bother with a sweet , so we paid our extortionate bill and left , never to return.
Very sad . . . .Nothing is the same anymore.

Room Tip: We did not stay in a room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The Old Hall hotel is full of character. Warm and cosy entrance. We stayed in the main part of the hotel. The room was ok, clean with 4 poster bed and an old bureau as one of the bedside tables. There is a small bar and a large dining room. Our breakfast was good and we had had dinner there the previous night. Staff were helpful and allowed us to choose from a different menu which suited our company. Our only complaint was that at both breakfast and dinner there was no background music in either bar or the dining area. We were the guests there on both occasions and the silence seemed quite strange.

Room Tip: Main building seems preferable. Sloping, creaky floorboards maybe, but that's what you get in an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tuusula, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I was in this hotel for 4 nights on business trip.
It's old building and old style.

Furnitures are old style and coming hall is very comfortable with fireplace.
Rooms floor is not straight, but that's ok.

Unfortunately old style windows (one glass) let noice come from street and also in my room was some water pump which goes on, when people goes to toilet in other rooms.
So I didn't sleep well on any of those nights.
And before visit I ask for quiet room.

On breakfast there wasn't much choises, but food was good. Full english breakfast was quite heavy if hasn't used to eat heavy breakfast.

Location and city is good. Hotel is about 500m from train station and train will go every hour to Manchester.

Room Tip: Don't take number 2 if you want sleep well. I heard that quiet rooms was behind of long corridor...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed recently at the Old Hall Hotel for a family function. We were given a room in the main building. The room was clean if a tad dated however the bed was really comfortable, there was the usual kettle etc and some lovely biscuits which was a nice touch. The bathroom was clean and the towels were decent. The breakfast the next morning was fantastic, plenty of choice and the cooked options were great, it took a bit of time to arrive however it really was busy, the staff will happily refill you with tea, coffee and toast etc. All in all we would have no hesitation in staying here again, yes the building in places is dated but so is most of Frodsham, it's staff are friendly and the bed comfortable, not a lot more to ask really is there?

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
lincoln
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

The main part of the Old Hall hotel is character full however the bedrooms are located in a poorly constructed annex at the back. The levels of noise insulation are so poor that you can hear every word spoken by people in adjacent rooms. This problem is compounded by noisy floor boards, macerator toilets and showers the noise of which kept me awake for much of the night.
I sampled the evening menu and was equally disappointed as it was posh tosh.
Breakfast by comparison was excellent.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms over the Kitchen
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Runcorn, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We are lucky enough to have been coming to the Old Hall for meals for the best part of 25 years. It is still one of the best venues around. We have never stayed there persoanlly but I put a number of my colleagues from the USA at the Old Hall on business trips and they loved the hotel and indeed Frodsham as its whole. Go through the arched gate to get to the car park if you cannot park on the front.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Old Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!