“Abundant serenity in every facet.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Vista Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Ocotal
Villa Vista Mar
You added Villa Vista Mar to your Saves list
Playa Ocotal, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Playa Ocotal B&B and Inns
“Abundant serenity in every facet.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I had the privilege to experience pure serenity at VVM for a few days. It was my first trip to Costa Rica. I cannot describe in words the beauty and awesomeness of this location. The accommodations were excellent. Comfy beds, hottub, pool, outdoor kitchen...all at your fingertips. The view from our room was heavenly. Absolutely cannot wait to go back there! VVM is the BEST!!!

• Stayed May 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
dorset, vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I’ve just returned home from an extended stay at VVM.
This was my fourth year staying there, and I”ll be returning in 2015. All the wonderful things mentioned in other reviews are true. Ed and Lorrie are attentive to one’s needs and very helpful in assisting you to plan excursions, transportation, or anything that assists you in creating an enjoyable stay. The Villa is gorgeous and meticulously maintained. The large terrace and rancho are big enough to accommodate all guests without distracting from one’s privacy. There are safe walking roads for exploring the Ocotal area and most convenient is a path near the villa that leads to the beach in about 6 minutes. It takes me longer because the path is so alive with birds I stop and gape at the Trogon or Mot-Mot,not to mention the 83 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers that streamed over one morning.
It is such an advantage to have two beaches to go to, equidistant from each other. I’ve visited many beaches along the Pacific Coast and Ocotal and Playa Azul are my absolute favorites – the swimming is safe and people on the beaches are very friendly. When the ocean has good visibility (it is the Pacific!) the snorkeling is very good.

Figure I should mention that VVM is not a party house.

Other guests love VVM as much as I do. They spend much of their time figuring out how to return the following year. Many of them do. I highly recommend that you plan your trip to include time at VVM.

Martha P

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
La Fortuna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I started our Costa Rican adventure at Villa Vista Mar and could not have chosen a better place to start! Our hosts, Ed and Lorrie, were absolutely wonderful! Extremely helpful and made us feel welcome from the moment we met them! Our apartment was just great, very clean and comfortable. The pool was amazing and the views from the terrace incredible! We enjoyed the area very much and Ed was a wealth of information and even helped us with transportation and information about our second location! We spent two weeks at Vista Mar and would recommend a stay there without hesitation!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My fiancée, soon-to-be Sister in law, and I stayed at villa vista mar for 5 days in mid November 2013 and had a wonderful time!

From picking us up at the airport and taking us to the market when we arrived to helping us pick and book our daily activities/excursions - the owners Ed and Lorrie could not have been more accommodating and their advice on what to do/where to go truly made the trip one to remember!

Highlights from the trip include:
Relaxing at the Villa (on the porch, at the pool, in the hammock - you decide!)
Drinks on the beach at Father Rooster (about a 10 min walk from the Villa)
Walking from Villa Vista to Coco Beach (about a 1 hr walk from the Villa)
Volcano/ Rainforest hiking (about a 1.5 hr drive from the Villa)
Waterfall swimming (about a 1.5 hr drive from the Villa)
Snorkeling (we went out with pelicano tours which has a little hut near Father Rooster where you can rent snorkel equip or arrange for a boat to take you out for a day trip of fun)
Sunset sailboat cruise (and sneaky sunset swim off the side of the boat)

Bottom line: Whether you want to spend the whole trip blissfully relaxing at the villa or want to take day trips to go out adventuring - villa vista mar is a perfect home base for your Costa Rica vacation!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Lac-Sainte-Marie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have returned to VVM year after year and are always super pleased with our vacation. The view is breath taking; nothing like sitting on the large balcony enjoying the view, over coffee in the AM and cocktails beginning at noonish! The pool area is fantastic, with plenty of lounging areas both sunny and shady, as you desire. All the amenities are right at hand, shower, bathroom and a fridge poolside. Washer and dryer are there too, in case you need to work at that while relaxing. Lastly both a BBQ and stove complete the set-up for a pleasant poolside dinner, if you prefer that over cooking in your apartment. Ed & Lorrie are always helpful whether it be tourist information or maybe to offer a lift into the nearby town of Coco if they are heading that way. Coco has several grocery stores for all your needs and great, friendly bars and restaurants. The beach is a few minutes away on foot and there are plenty of singing birds and howling monkeys to welcome you. Thanks again for an excellent months stay.

Room Tip: Check out the Villa Vista Mar website for details of the three available rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Villa Vista Mar is a great place to stay... It is quite, comfortable and beautiful... Ed and Lorrie or to of the greatest host in all of Costa Rica... Villa Vista Mar is a beautiful and spacious place with every comfort of home... The monkeys, birds, iguanas,and other wildlife make it a great back to nature experience... Highly recommended... hope to return soon....

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Plaistow, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

After an extremely difficult year, I had the wonderful opportunity to stay at Villa Vista Mar. From the start where Ed, my host, picked me up at the airport to the last final day was the most incredible, peaceful, quiet, relaxing vacation! Both Ed and Lorrie are wonderful hosts. They were extremely helpful with travel suggestions, arranging for transportation and providing invitations to travel with them when they were going into town. Villa Vista Mar is a perfect place where some days I just stayed relaxing pool side in their comfortable hammock. It's also a convenient location to stay while taking day trip excursions. I didn't need to rent a car. Walking around the area was peaceful and spending time at the two nearby beaches was perfect. Staying at Villa Vista Mar provided the relaxation and rejuvenation I needed. And having Ed and Lorrie as wonderful, caring hosts made this a perfect vacation. And guess where I will be spending time again next year! Absolutely! Thank you, Ed and Lorrie.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Villa Vista Mar? Share your experiences!