“Wonderful experience, can't wait to return” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #1 of 4 Fuveau B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful experience, can't wait to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

There is so much to say about Moulin des forges....think of every superlative, and they will all fit.
From the moment I made the booking, I knew I would not be disappointed, for Philippe and Mireille phoned to say that they wanted to come and collect me, as travelling without a car and lots of bags, public transport would be difficult for me. And the amazing hospitality just went from there....
Accustomed to staying in 5 star hotels, and paranoid about cleanliness, I could hardly wipe the smile off my face when I entered my room. Not only is Philippe and Mireille's whole home stunning, but the attention to detail in the guest rooms leaves no stone unturned. Each room is themed, with everything from the wall hangings, to the desk, to the coffee mugs and soap dishes fitting the theme. No expense has been spared in making this a classy, first rate home stay. I stayed in Chambre 6, the Sable room.
Needless to say, it was immaculate.
And then there's the location! On the one side you look out at the wild beauty of Montagne Sainte-Victoire, and on the other you're met with the immaculate beauty of Philippe & Mireille's property. From the landscaped grounds, to the inviting pool, it really is a Provençal Paradice.
Log onto their website (www.maison-hote-provence.com), the pictures say it all....and unlike many properties which make themselves look better online than they actually are, in this case the photos are a true depiction of what you will find.
OK, it's not the most convenient location if you don't have a car, but the bus stop is a short walk away, and from there everything you need in Provence is at your doorstep. Besides, if there's somewhere you need to go that isn't convenient to transport, you can guaranteed Philippe will offer you a lift before you've had time to say the word taxi!
The breakfast part of the equation bears mentioning in its own right. No stale bread & cereal here....you will be welcomed into a gorgeous breakfast room (the aforementioned attention to detail the first thing you will notice), where there's fresh baguette, cheese, ham, a huge array of fresh fruits, yoghurt, every condiment you could dream of....and the obligatory cereal if you must.
Oh, and if you're a sad sac like me & can't quite stay off the internet when on holidays....the wireless connection is free, and strong.
Then there's the hosts, the wonderful hosts. They go beyond the call of duty on every front. From helping with suggestions about what to see, to offering to do my washing, to multiple lifts, to allowing me to enjoy the family meal on the nights I stayed in, to their patience with my poor French when I wanted to speak it with them so that I could improve (don't worry, Philippe speaks perfect English if you'd prefer), Philippe et Mireille are two of life's gems.
Do yourself a favour....make a booking at Le Moulin des forges before this hidden gem is known to a broader audience....my prediction: the prices won't stay as good as they are for long (that's if you can even find a vacancy, I'd suggest by next summer this stunning new entrant to the Provence set will be in hot demand!!) Perhaps I shouldn't have written this review, and instead kept it a secret ;-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hobart
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had traveled through France for two and a half weeks, hoping to end our holiday with a home stay experience in Provence. After visiting the tourist office in Aix en Provence we settled on booking Les Moulin des Forges, a home stay that had only been open for a few weeks. Our 4 days with Philippe and Mireille Nicolas and two of their delightful children Jean and Emilie was everything anyone would ever want from a home stay experience. Situated in a town called Fuveau, about 20 minutes drive from Aix en Provence, this fairly new homestead is surrounded by delightful gardens, a swimming pool, tennis court and some welcoming pets. The bedrooms and amenities are spotlessly clean, tastefully decorated and very comfortable with lovely views over the property. While our hosts allowed us our privacy they also became a special part of our stay by providing beautiful breakfasts, evening company and some delicious provincial dinners that we enjoyed with other guests. We arrived as strangers and very quickly felt at home. Would love to return one day...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Moulin des forges? Share your experiences!