“keep this in your adress book” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jarabacoa Mountain Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jarabacoa
Jarabacoa Mountain Hostel
Calle de Los Pintores #1, #2 & #4 | La Joya, Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic   |
Special Rate
$10 (USD)
xvnb
“keep this in your adress book”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

we spent one night at this very nicely decorated hostel. service was fantastic. the mangers very flexible and helpful. spotlessly clean. comfortable beds. it was a delightful experience. we hope to go again and rent the whole house for a group outing. On the direction to find it watch for a road that has high cement columns and metal gates that are open. enjoy! we did.

Room Tip: just tell the owners what you want and they will do everything they can to accomodate you
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I traveled on my own in April 2011 throughout Dominican Republic and the Jarabacoa Hostel was the nicest little hostel I encountered. It is quiet, private and clean, unlike most other places in the DR. It is located a little bit outside of the main street, which is actually a plus. It is secured with two gates and doors, but it never felt unsafe. Rooms are spacious and beds are large, so if you travel solo the bed is all yours. Bathroom is clean with hot water and kitchen is equipped with basic cooking utensils, drinking water and some ground coffee in the freezer and the hostel has two computers with internet connections. Large porch is great for having dinner and chit-chat with possible other guests. There are also bikes in the shed behind the house that can be used for free - very useful if interested in exploring the surroundings. Molly has also a small map with market, grocery store and restaurant addresses prepared for the newcomers. Once you are done with the arrival though, you are completely on your own, although the owners live two houses further and are available for any requests.
To me they were in particularly helpful as I was traveling around without speaking any Spanish and aiming to climb nearby Pico Duarte. Rodolfo drove me to the base early in the morning (as he owns taxi-business too) and stayed to negotiate a reliable guide for me.
I enthusiastically recommend the hostel to anyone traveling to Jarabacoa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Ostend, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We totaly agree with the other positive reviews. Honestly, I have been wondering if the word hostel is proper here, but according to the dictionary, it is. It is a house of which you rent a private bedroom, but you share the kitchen, badroom and livingroom.The hostel is a few minutes walking distance from the centre of Jarabacoa. Which brings the benefit of staying in a quit place. Its not to difficult to find. If you ask about the hostel of the Americans, most of the local people will be able to help you out.
Molly and Rodolfo stay 2 houses away from the hostel. They were very helpful and well willing. also the accomodation was ok. the bedrooms were clean and big. There is not always a muscito net, but if you ask for it, they are willing to give it. Also the wash machine is very convienient. the kitchen is not luxury but well equiped. there is a big frige. we could also borrow 2 mountian bikes. That was real fun!
Every room has his own tv and dvd player (and there are good movies available for if you happen to be there during rainseason!!)
Later another family joined us in the hostel. we didn't know them at all. But this was one of the best parts of our 4 week holiday in The Dominican Republic.
Don't expect a hostel to be a luxurius Hotel, because then you are at the wrong place.
We can recommand it to everyone. We never felt unsave there. There is a big fence and good lockers.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Silkeborg, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Jarabacoa Hostel is a very nice place to stay. We stayed there for three days, and we did not have any trouble finding the place. When we got off the bus from Santo Domingo we told a taxi driver that we had a reservation at Jarabacoa Hostel and he took us there. It is located in a walking distance of 15 minutes from Jarabacoa centre on a little side road. The hostel is basically a few regular houses, where one of them belongs to the hosts, Molly and Rodolfo. Molly and Rodolfo are is a very obliging and kind English/Dominican couple. Rodolfo helped us getting to La Vega, when there were no more seats on the bus, and when your Spanish skills are not amazing it is nice to be greeted by Molly. They are there if you need them, and at the same time you have a lot of privacy.

We stayed in a house with two 4-person bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big living room, a room with two computers and a well-equipped kitchen where drinking water was provided. You can borrow bikes, and there is a house where you can do laundry.
Outside the house a porch, and there is a big fence around the house. That Molly and Rodolfo were our neighbours also gave us the feeling that we where in a safe place and almost staying in a home.
The information about tours (both with and without guides) in the area was excellent. We took a hike by ourselves to the top of Mogote and visited the Jimenoa Fall.
The beds where the best beds we slept in through our 5 weeks in The Dominican Republic, everything was clean and the hosts where great. It is easy to shop in Jarabacoa and cook yourself, and in general it is a lovely place to relax, take tours and enjoy being out of the big city.

The hostel is very different from what most people associate with a hostel (from Europe, South America, etc.), but it sure is one of the nicest hostels I have been in. It is a place my two friends and I will recommend to anyone who visits Jarabacoa.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This year in March I was looking for accomodation in Jarabacoa as I was planing to go there with my friends for paragliding. Jarabacoa Hostel was the best deal I could get! Before doing any booking I added Molly and Rodolpho (the owners) on Skype. I talked with Molly, she was very happy to help me with how to transfer the money for the booking, getting to Jarabacoa, what kinds of other activites we could do, how to get to their hostel. She even said they may come to wait for us from the bus station.

Is true the location is not in the center of Jarabacoa but this makes this place even more wonderful, located far away from the noisy tipical atmoshpere of the Dominican Republic. If you’re looking for an original and joyfully Dominican experience you’ll me more than happy to be hosted at Molly and Rodolfo’s hostel.

They have two houses and first time that I stayed there with my friends we even stayed with them in their house as when I called them for reservation Molly said they have no more free rooms but they could find something for us, I remember Molly saying “I won’t let you in the street”. We were very grateful they found some space for us too. Was such a great feeling! Was more than a hostel, was like being in a friends house.

I was living for a year in the Dominican Republic and I was travelling everywhere but at this price I’ve found no other hostel with Tv and Dvd (they have good Dvds with movies) in the room and, something very important, hot water! The rooms are nice and simple, everything is very clean and what I also liked very much was the fact that it was located in a quiet place, away from the main street with traffic.

In the morning Molly and Rodolfo served us with coffee, ah what a lovely family they are!

A month later my mom came to visit me and I definitely wanted her to see this wonderful hostel in Jarabacoa so I went there for a second time. Was as lovely as the first time!
I was surprised to read the “Misleading name” review but I remember Molly was pregnant in March and said that she will go to USA to give birth in June, so for sure that’s why they were not there. By now I’m sure they are back home and happy to welcome everyone!

Next year I’m going back to the Dominican Republic and no doubt that I’ll be going back to Jarabacoa too, which is my second home in this wonderful island, there’s no need to say where I’ll stay, for that price with the conditions it offers Jarabacoa Hostel is the best choice!

Stayed there two times, in March and April 2011.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011 via mobile

They gave us an entire home including kitchen, computers, porch, and living area.

A little tough to find but very safe and very clean. Rodolfo even drove us to different places for events...even a neighboring city! Great for groups of people.

Hosts are very friendly and helpful

• Stayed March 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

As a former Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic, this hostel was on the top of my list for good/comfortable hostels. My boyfriend I were happily impressed by the use of the washer, bicycles, drinking water, kitchen, computers with internet and clean and comfortable accommodations. Molly and Rodolfo were great and reliable hosts. Rodolfo picked us up at the bus station, and they provided plenty of information on the area when we made plans to get to see Jarabacoa. We felt safe due to the fact that our hosts lived close by and were known in the area. We would definitely recommend this hostel and would certainly stay there again next time we are in Jarabacoa.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jarabacoa Mountain Hostel? Share your experiences!