“Lovely B&B in a breathtaking location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Isallt Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blaenau Ffestiniog
Isallt Guest House
You added Isallt Guest House to your Saves list
Church Street, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Snowdonia National Park Ll41 3HD, Wales   |
Malin, Ireland
“Lovely B&B in a breathtaking location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Nos da!
This was my first ever proper visit to Wales. I had to make a hard choice between the Snowdonia area or the Brecon Beacons and I chose the Snowdon area.

Well! My heart almost stopped at the sight of the sheer beauty of the Welsh mountains because that is what surrounds the town of Blaenau Ffestiniog!

It is an old Slate Mining Town in which alas a lot of the industries have died. The local folks are very nice and friendly people and as stated previously, one is surrounded by beauty and is also not far from lovely villages, castles, mountains. forests, heritage railways, folk museums, mines, lakes, etc. One is so spolied for choice that I felt that I only saw a slice of the area.
There are plenty of nice country inns or village pubs nearby.

Nearby is the Llechwedd Slate Caverns which are well worth a visit. The towns of Porthmadog, Portmeirion, Cricciteth and Llanustumdwy + the Lleyn Peninsula are not far away. Caernarfon with it's mighty Castle and Old Town is a must! If one has a car or bike, get going and take in as much as you can.
If one is up to walking, make a day of it and go for a walk up Mount Snowdon which is only about 45 mins drive away in Llanberis, Rhy-du or Pen-Y-Pass.
I loved going on the Welsh Highland Railway from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog and back, well worth it especially if it's raining cats and dogs!

The Isallt Guest House is a lovely B&B, which charges very good rates. The owners, Rob Griffin & Gill Vescio are really nice and friendly people. The breakfasts were very nice. The room had it's own en-suite and even had a DVD player! (I've never seen that before in a B&B!). I'm definitelty going to go back.

Unlike being in a City, this was my first trip to a country B&B and I have to say it was nice to experience something different in what a countryside has to offer as they can also have outstanding historical and geographical sights on an equal par with that of a City.

I was in awe at listening to local people speak to each other in Welsh in order to preserve their language, culture, folklore and heritage which is very special. I even had a go in speaking a few words of Welsh and for a foreigner, one is really appreciated and the locals will warm towards you even more if one makes an
effort!
I think I chose well!
Hwyl Fawr!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to Isallt Guest House? Share your experiences!