“I loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cusco
“I loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I was on my way to find another hotel, which I had seen on tripadvisor, when I ran into this hotel. And am I glad I did!!! I had a room at the back with a big balcony with swinging chair looking out over the river. The view is great! The rooms are very clean with private bathroom, airconditioning and everything is new. They opened just 5 months ago and it shows. The interior is really nice and very tastful. And they have hot water, which is rare in these parts. You will probably not really use it, as the climate is so warm, but the thought is really nice. The owner and the girl working there are so friendly, warm and helpful. I had some problems with flushing my toilet and within 5 minutes they were in my bathroom fixing it. And they kept on saying that whenever I needed something I shouldn't hesitate to ask. Breakfast was good too! Conclusion: I really loved it!!!! I stayed 2 nights, which in my opinion is enough for El Castillo. But if you want to relax, this is the place to be. And I know my rate 100% is high, but I have been travelling for 8 months now and this place really made me happy and feel at home, so as far as I am concerned they deserve a 10!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the backside
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

In total we stayed two nights here. This was a fantastic experience,. The hotel is warm, friendly, eco-friendly and friendly staff. They have two rooms with the river views and a hammock. It's really special to sleep here while hearing the river flows. They got more rooms at the back. The owners speak Spanish as well as English which can be very helpfull if you''re spanish isn't fluently. They can also organize all kinds of trips. For us; this was one of the best places where we have stayed in Nica! Regards, Martijn and Jo (Dutchies)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Luna del Rio a week ago and loved it! We were met by Marga as we arrived off the boat from San Carlos, which was great as we were both extremely tired having travelled all the way from Ometepe that night. We had a river side room and spent the first evening enjoying a few beers on the balcony swing chair, absolute bliss.
For dinner on our second night we were able to order in some food from a nearby restaurant and enjoy it on the balcony (Marga arranged this for us) which was lovely.
Our room had hot water and a portable aircon unit, it also had a fly screen so we could open up the windows and take advantage of the breeze coming off the river.
I would definitely recommend this place, a great place to relax and unwind.

Room Tip: See if a riverside room is available, great views and fresh breeze
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Zaandam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Luna del Rio is a nice place with about four or five rooms. This makes it very pleasant and cosy. Service is very pleasant too and the owner even arranged my boat reservation to San Carlos as a service. I felt really welcome here. First I had a street side room, with small balcony. After one night I could switch rooms (no problem) to the river side. With a slightly bigger balcony and a much better view on the rapids of San Juan river. And with a swing bench. A great place for me to take some restfull days with doing hardly anything. Beds are good. Airco is available in the street side rooms. The river side rooms have a much smaller airco system. The price was a bit high for me, but I think okay for the provided amenities. It's a very clean place, especially considering the jungle surroundings. Breakfast can be included. It's not special, but prepared with love.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We (couple, 41 & 50) stayed at Hotel Luna del Rio for two nights in February 2014. We paid $60 a night for a room with bathroom including breakfast and air-conditioning (which we didn't need). The room was very small but clean and the bed was comfortable. The room had a floor fan. The bathroom was small, too, but the shower was large and had hot water. Our room was on the back side of the hotel, others had balconys overlooking the river. The common area/deck is right over the water at the rapids. We watched tarpon jumping in the morning. There is no television and no wi-fi. The hotel is new and beautifully constructed from local woods. The best feature of Hotel Luna del Rio is Manual the owner. He greeted us with a big smile and was very warm and friendly through out our stay. He helped arrange low price tours with his brother, Juan, a licensed guide. The hotel is 2 minutes walking from the boat landing, shops and restaurants; there is no ATM in El Castillo. Although a bit expensive for Nicaragua standards Hotel Luna del Rio is a good value

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Murphys, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

The Luna del Rio hotel is a nice step up from most of those available in this relatively undeveloped tourist destination. Space is quite limited but the hot water alone is worth the price. We didn't even turn on the air conditioning as the room was out over the water at the head of the rapids on the San Juan and evenings and mornings were delightfully cool. The deck (also over the water) was a great place to eat breakfast and watch the Tarpon feeding on the surface. (Likewise for evening drinks.)
In addition, the fact that the historical reason for the Spanish construction of the fort in this location was the very rapids whose sound lulls one to sleep at night was greatly appreciated. Best of all, the owners, Manuel and Maria, were at all times willing to go the extra mile to help us enjoy our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We just returned from an 11 day trip to Nicaragua - 4 spent in El Castillo. Going to El Castillo was a last minute decision and we're so glad we did! Marga was super helpful with all of the arrangements and answering by bazillion questions about the boat schedule, tours, etc. Manuel and Marga took such good care of us from the time we arrived to the time we got on the boat back to San Carlos. Breakfasts were wonderful and our balcony overlooking the river was the perfect place to relax and enjoy the breeze. Rooms are very small but having the balcony made that ok. Our AC wasn't actually much of an AC (more of a fan) but I think other rooms have a different set-up. For us it was fine - the breeze was plenty cool enough. I had a little trouble locating an email for the hotel but Marga said they're working on a new website - that will really help people find them. They've only been open a few months and we hope they'll be around for a LONG time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the river on the second floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna del Rio? Share your experiences!