“Fantastic Cabanas, Fantastic Location!!” 4 of 5 stars

Punta Placer Bungalows
San Agustinillo, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in San Agustinillo
London
“Fantastic Cabanas, Fantastic Location!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at Punta placer for 9 nights after a gruelling Californian road trip and absolutely loved it!! The previous reviews may be a little unconvincing but now I have been here I would go back in a second.
The owners, Claire and David are lovely people and could not have been more helpful, Claire gives a wonderful massage also and Davids knowledge of the local area for guided treks is brilliant, on a particularly cloudy day he saw a few of the couples disappointment and decided to take us all trekking to some waterfalls and to tour the local coffee plantation, it was a great day.
The cabanas in general are very cleanand in a great location on the beach, you can sit all day and just watch the waves, it's so peaceful.
It is a little hot at night with no air con but no where near as bad as some places i've been and not really uncomfortable, just be careful if you are tall as if your feet touch the mosquito net they are experienced enough to bite you through it, we found burning a repellent helped.
The town is away from all hustle and bustle and a refreshing break from city life to just spend afternoons/evenings relaxing at Fridas (Local bar) and watch the waves with a bottle of Dos equise, heaven! Thanks guys for a great break.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010 via mobile

Had a great time here and the rooms are awesome. Breakfast are pretty poor but as you have to pay I would suggest going elsewhere. The family that run it tend to treat the restarant as there own front room though so it's a bit offputting. Still had a great time here and would def recommend.

One bad thing though- the French guy who owns it is really rude and arrogant. Well he was to me anyway perhaps it's cos I am English and it's a shame cos o thought people like that did nit exist outside of Paris. He rind the surf club on the beach and I booked a lesson with him for 11am the following morning. But I cod sense his reluctance when I booked it. I can surf ok already and wAnted further tuition. Next day comes and I head Down the beach at 11 and wait for him. 45 minutes later I go back to the hotel to findhim. I tell him I had a lessonbooked at 11 and he just looks at his watch and says "it's 11:45 now" and walked off whilst I was mid sentance. What an arogant idiot. It marred my stay there and after that I spent no further money at the hotel The owned.

• Stayed September 2010
Louisville, Kentucky, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

We had a great stay here. It is the best place to stay in the area if you can afford it. The cabanas are clean and well designed. The beds are nice and would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a quite, beautiful and romantic place on the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

Of all the places we visited in our 2 week trip to Oaxaca and Mexico City, Punta Placer was my favourite. After five days there, my boyfriend and I were so relaxed - we could have easily stayed longer, only leaving as we wanted to see some sights up in Puerto Escondido.

We arrived in San Agustinillo after about an hour's drive from Huatulco airport. We first looked at Bambu cabanas which I'd read about on Trip Advisor and which had great reviews - not impressed! We were greeted by what appeared to be a construction site, everything was messy and the cabanas, though large, were a bit dingy. The stretch of beach wasn't the nicest either. We swiftly moved on to Punta Placer, and once we were there, immediately relaxed.

We were greeted by Anoushka, who was looking after the cabanas while the owner was away. We looked at a couple of cabanas (all are very similar) and plumped for an upstairs one which offered a greater degree of privacy on the balcony and which we thought may attract fewer mosquitoes than a downstairs one. I was a little concerned that the cabanas are open (I mean they are roofed but there are large gaps) as I usually react badly to mosquito bites - though there is mosquito netting. More on that later.

The cabanas are right on the beach front, just a fantastic location. Ours had views down the crescent of San Agustinillo beach - though partially obscured by palms which do offer welcome shade in the heat of the day. They are made of the thatched / adobe construction common to many cabanas in Mexico - I love this style - and are painted in vivid shades of green inside. They are cleverly designed so the bathrooms curve around the back of the bedroom area with the shower at one end and the sinks at the other. The bathrooms are so pretty with lovely mosaic tiles and natural stone decor. Our shower did seem somewhat exposed to a playground and street beyond however so I usually made a screen out of my sarong when showering! (The French are not so uptight about these matters as us British I think!)

The cabanas are simply furnished with a bed, seating area, shelving and a sweet rustic 'wardrobe' made of wood and rope - it was fine for our needs though if I was staying longer I might have preferred some more storage. The beds have mosquito netting and unfortunately this is needed. We stayed at the cabanas in June, the rainy season, which is one of the worst times for mosquitoes. Unfortunately the weather is also very hot and humid at this time. Sleeping (or trying to sleep) under the mosquito netting was very uncomfortable. There are fans in the cabanas, but the effect is diminished by the netting. But we did not want to risk waking covered in bites. The mosquitoes were small and difficult to see (even more difficult to swat!) but their bites were not! So if you're susceptible, I'd recommend covering yourselves in repellent from about 6-7 onwards and being vigilant at all times - dont' hang around unclothed in the bathroom after a shower etc. Also light some repellent coils in your cabana. Don't let this put you off though - I certainly wouldn't, though I would think twice about going back at that time of year.

One more thing I think it's important to mention is the beach, or more specifically the sea. The beach is beautiful - pretty, clean and was more or less empty during our stay save for a few roaming dogs and the fisherman whose boats are located next to the cabanas (if you're squeamish don't watch them bringing in their sharks in the afternoons - though I found it quite fascinating!). However the sea was rough - dangerously so. The guidebooks mention other beaches along the same stretch of coast as being dangerous, particularly Zipolite, however you really do need to take care in San Agustinilllo too. The waves are rough and will pummel you if you aren't used to them (swimming under them rather than letting them take you is always a good idea!). There are strong currents that will carry you down the beach in seconds, and can also make it difficult for you to get back in to shore if you get caught in an undertow - indeed two people were rescued when we were there. I don't wish to put anyone off but I think it's important people are aware. Be safe and don't swim on your own. The cabana staff and the fisherman will advise you when and where it's safe to swim. We certainly enjoyed splashing about thought, and the waves are great for bodyboarding - you can hire these from Punta Placer.

I don't have too much more to say about the cabanas. They're lovely. The grounds are lovely. I loved Bamboo (Baboo?) the elderly Alsation who lollopped around and went crazy digging for the little crabs that scuttle about in the evening, very amusing to watch. It was hard to drag ourselves away from lazing in the hammock, reading and sunning ourselves to get out and explore the local area. We did go to Ventanilla to see the crocodiles (our guide baited them with a stick, which we did NOT like), Mazunte to the turtle sanctuary, again a bit depressing though great that they are now being conserved rather than eaten. Bought some lovely cosmetics from the cosmetic factory though. The whole area was extremely quiet in June, we actually found it difficult to find places to eat some evenings. I would highly recommend Alquamista on Playa Zipolite though, simply beautiful setting on the beach, funky and delicious food. Also recommend La Termita, right next door to Punta Placer on the beach, for lovely pizzas in a lovely setting. Also Mexico Lindo on SA beach does tasty lunches.

The only other thing I was less than keen on at Punta Placer were the breakfasts. The pancakes were nice but the eggs a bit bland as was the coffee (I'm very fussy about my breakfasts!). There are other places that serve breakfasts close by including La Termita, which I wish we'd tried.

Overall I thought this accommodation was great - I'd love to go back when the nights were a bit cooler and the sea a bit calmer, and spend some more days soaking up the sun and letting the sounds of the crashing (ok thunderous!) waves lull me to sleep. I think the price (it was around £50 per night) was reasonable for the quality of the accommodation, though I think if they are going to charge separately for the breakfasts they could be of a slightly higher standard.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions. We also checked out a few other accommodations including Casa Pan de Miel which we were not impressed with. Alta Mira looked beautiful but high up on a hill - not ideal location wise, for us. Punta Placer seemed by far the best choice in this area. Thanks to Anoushka who was so helpful and friendly. Recommended!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Accommodation at Punta Placer consists of 4 round buildings, each with a modern cabana (spacious bedroom with shower-room) on the ground and first floor. It's located in the small fishing village of St Agustinillo, on the pale sandy beach of the unspoilt West coast. It's an hour by taxi (350-500 pesos) from Huatulco (nearest airport) and is a peaceful retreat (no moblie phone signal!) right beside the rolling waves of the Pacific Ocean. This is essentially a place to relax, lie in a hammock under the coconut palms, read, walk on the deserted beach, eat and drink, but beware of the very strong sun - we used factor 30 all the time. The cabanas are well designed and stylish, and the only drawback is the mosquito population which can carry Dengue Fever. We covered ourselves in insect repellent, particularly in the evenings, but still had a few bites on our legs. The design fault in our cabana was only having wall switches for the lights; so one of us had to turn off the light and then get into the mosquito net in the dark, trying to make sure it was completely tucked in under the mattress, from inside the net! We were there just at the end of the dry season and the fishermen told us that once the rains come (June to August) the mosquito problem is much much worse. Breakfasts, which are charged separately, were excellent, with a wide choice of dishes. Light meals are served through the day, but as the French owners were away, food was not available in the evenings, which was disappointing. Overall, the location is almost beach-holiday paradise, and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful - particularly the French Tourism student who was on a 6-month placement at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We had such an amazing time here. The bungalows are truly beautiful, and the experience of staying on this beach was wonderful. It is so beautiful. The sunsets and the peace and quiet were perfect. Beware, there is nothing to do in San Augustillio other than beach, relax, walk and visit the restaurants. If you're looking for action it is not here, there seems to be more at Zipolite but San is so much nicer. Really good for couples, I would not recommend this for anyone looking for a bit of night life.
The kids who work here are great, it was really nice to meet them. The owners are very laid back and friendly and happy to accomodate you.
The only drawback - and it's a big one - is the heat and mosquitos! It made it nearly impossible to sleep, we were taking sleeping tablets every night. There is no air con (it would ruin the atmosphere) but the ceiling fan does not make it through the mosquito net so you just lie there and swelter. With no air moving around the mozzies are then free to eat you alive, and there are a lot of them. Unless you're used to the heat or not bothered by mozzies then be prepared. It's all fine during the day but the nights were hard work.
That said, I would definitely go back. The hotel could benefit from more fans in the rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband and I have been down to San Agustinillo three times and our favorite place by far is Punta Placer. The grounds are beautifully maintained, the whole complex is very clean, and the owners and staff are friendly and gracious.

Punta Placer's restaurant is a great place to have breakfast (their chilaquiles were amazing). From the restaurant, smooth rocks form a winding path that leads to the cabanas. The winding rock pattern is continued in the rooms, which are comfortable and beautifully designed. Although there are mosquito nets, there were zero mosquitoes in the room. This was a great relief after staying at Un Sueno on a previous visit, where, perhaps because the rooms are set back a ways from the beach, we were tormented by mosquitoes whenever we weren't under the mosquito net.

Perhaps the thing I love best about Punta Placer is that, unlike most places down there, Punta Placer's eight cabanas are right on the beach. Other places put restaurants on the beach with the cabanas set back behind. Each Punta Placer cabana has a little patio with chairs and/or hammocks. In addition, on the beach in front of the cabanas there are hammocks strung up between palm trees, thatched umbrellas and comfy beach chairs for guests to use.

On our most recent trip to San Augustinillo, we were joined by friends from San Francisco. Because we had planned our trip for Easter Week, one of the most popular times for Oaxacans to visit the coast, we were only able to get one room at Punta Placer, which we gave to our friends. The other room we booked was up the hill at Casa Pan de Miel, which ran us $165 a night (vs. $100 at Punta Placer). Although Pan de Miel has a million dollar view and air conditioning, Punta Placer is a much nicer place to stay. Granted, Pan de Miel has a gorgeous infinity pool that gives the illusion that it is spilling over the cliff into the ocean. However, the pool was so warm when we were there that it was uncomfortable to swim in. Plus, our friends, not being guests of Pan de Miel, were not allowed in the pool, despite our offers to pay extra or to purchase food and drinks. Unlike Punta Placer, which is beautifully designed throughout, Pan de Miel has bland rectangular rooms that are oriented perpendicular to the coast, largely cutting off the ocean view. To top it off, Pan de Miel is a sweaty walk up a long hill, which is not fun to do at night given that the road is unlit.

Based on what we've experienced, Punta Placer is the best place to stay in San Augustinillo.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Punta Placer Bungalows? Share your experiences!