“Amazing place” 5 of 5 stars

Catangnan, Mindanao 8419, Philippines   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Siargao Island
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

had a great stay at Buddha's, the grounds, rooms and vibe was perfect. Met some great people there and felt like home. chris and panie looked after everything we need, and wouldn't hesitate in going back.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Siargao Island, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My experience was just okay. The resort is small, but in a nice, well landscaped area on the West side of the beach road (opposite the beach). There were no amenities (soap, toilet paper, etc.) and only one towel. No phone in the room, but there was adequate internet.Sparse furnishings in the room, but a very nice bed. I had issues with no water a couple of times, but it was resolved each time. The food is excellent and there is a revolving food item night (BBQ pig, sushi, etc.). I was not able to enjoy the special lechon (pig) dinner while I was there as I was told it was supposed to be at 8:30PM and when I was notified that it was an hour and a half early, it was already picked thru and devoured when I got to the restaurant. There close to 20 people there that somehow were ready for the meal. There is a gym of sorts upstairs above the restaurant, but for some reason it was blocked off and only being used by a few locals. One other problem I encountered was the smoke from burning coconut husks on the property next door. It was burning most of the day and the smoke filled my room. All things considered, the staff made up for it and I enjoyed the stay.

Room Tip: There is an upstairs room with a large tv that has a bit more privacy. it is a little more expensive...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ashleychar1es, Owner at Buddha's Surf Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thanks for the feedback, we always welcome comments which may help us continually improve our service.

On your short 2 night stay you should have always had tissue and soap, it should have been in your room on arrival and would have been replenished if you had requested. This would also apply to additional towels which we would have been happy to supply. On the issue of telephones, unfortunately there is currently no landline on the island, but the internet as you note, is freely available.

Each room has a desk, stool, bed, side table, shelving and two deck chairs on the balcony, we believe this to be adequate for our style of hotel.

The night of the lechon feast was paid for by our 3 czech republic guests and they put it on as an open invite for people they had met on their holiday, everyone was notified it would start around 7pm. It is unfortunate that you did not appear to realize this was the arrangement.

Above the restaurant in the bar we have some gym equipment and it is open for any guest to use, I'm not sure how it was blocked off as the bar and restaurant is open plan with no doors or walls. Everyone is welcome to use it.

We apologise for any smoke you may have encountered, every 3 months coconut trees are harvested in the island and their husks are heated to created copra, the main export of the island.

Hopefully this reassures you that we are always aiming to please to ensure that everyone has the best experience and stay they can hope for!
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Siargao is an island paradise. A resort like Buddha's is perfect to add up to what the island could offer especially to people who wants to chill out from busy city life. Perfect ambiance, great people around ready to accommodate your needs and very tasty delightful good food they offer that you'll surely miss. Although it was a very short vacation for us, staying at Buddha's Surf resort was unforgettable. They have huge clean rooms, comfy beds and large bathrooms. Overall, considering to stay there again for another visit to the island is a brill idea. Kudos to the people who ran the resort. :)

-Marilou

Room Tip: room 1 & 5
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I visited Siargao earlier this year with very little idea of what to expect of the island. Buddha's welcomed me with open arms and I felt at home instantly. The owner Ash and all of the staff really went out of their way to help in any way they could and they treated me like part of the family.

Buddha's arranged all of my trips and surf lessons for whatever day suited me which allowed me to relax and explore what the island had to offer at my own pace.

I would highly recommend Buddha's Surf Resort if you are planning to visit the island and I can't wait to visit again next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
ashleychar1es, Owner at Buddha's Surf Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thanks for the review Andy. We thoroughly enjoyed hosting you. Hopefully next time we can squeeze a game of golf in!
Siargao Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Buddha is a fantastic resort and made our time in Siargao even better. The accommodation and food are great with friendly staff who make it feel like home. They organised island hopping and a trip to a secret lagoon - both highlights of our stay. Definitely recommend to stay here, cheers Ashley.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
siargaosurf, Owner at Buddha's Surf Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thanks for the review guys. It was great to have a couple of Brits here, especially northerners! Good luck with the rest of your travels and make sure you pay Raglan a visit in NZ.
Surigao City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Probably the most standout quality of Buddha's Surf Resort is the kindness and amiability of the staff. Unlike most resorts, Buddha treats you like family. You will get to enjoy your vacation without any hassle as the staff will happily organize everything for you. Everyone is so chill and cool here that I am basically a hamster ball of stress-free HAPPINESS. It's certainly a plus that Buddha probably has one of the best and most popular RestoBar's in the island. Their Thai-inspired menu (especially the Pad thai Chicken!) keeps many customers, even people not staying in the resort itself, coming back for more. This almost always guarantees that you'll meet A LOT of people and make new friends whilst you hang out in the Resto. Also, don't forget to order the Chocolate Balls for dessert - they're addictive. The resort has a minimalist native design, yet the rooms are equipped with a high tech flatscreen TV and shower. The rooms sort of give you an "ocean ship" vibe which I really like, and I highly recommend the "Buddegha." It's a tiny little house in the middle of a garden and it offers you both privacy and comfort. Thursday is Acoustic Night and the resort features local artists playing onstage in the upstairs bar which, by the way, has a beautiful view of the surrounding nature. Buddha has basically made Thursday my favorite day of the week! And I'm sure I'm not the only guest that keeps looking forward to it. This will be another chance for you to mingle with both the locals and the tourists. Additionally, you will get a chance to meet famous local surfers in the area. So whether it's for Acoustic Night or for lunch, you should DEFINITELY stop by Buddha's at least once even if you're staying here. On lazy days, you can lounge around in their hammocks and stare the beautiful blue sky whilst getting a tan. Or you can goof around with the inboard (balance trainer). Buddha's Surf Resort has made my stay here very relaxing and fun! I get to party with the locals, make lasting friendships, and experience awesome adventures - from fishing, to surfing, to kite surfing, to scuba diving, to water Buffalo riding. You name it, and Buddha will arrange it for you. Everyone here is part of their little family, and everyone in this family is super nice! (Especially Ashley, the laid-back owner) Buddha's is a very "personal" resort. Many guests that have stayed here have left their permanent marks in the place - such as the beautiful photos you can see on the website and the restaurant's wall art. Both of which were made by Buddha's past guests! Do I need to say that this is my third time returning here? And I'm sure I'll be back again and again!

Room Tip: Choose the Buddegha or the top room on the second floor. They both offer more privacy and comfort. A...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for the review Sade. You are another victim of Siargao Island - after you came you couldn't leave! The staff love having you around the resort and you are already a part of the buddha family, see you back here soon :)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I needed a break from Manila, from the pollution and noise and picked Siargao because a friend suggested it. She suggested the higher-end resorts but I took a risk and booked at Buddha as I am not much of a resort-bubble type. We, with my 81 yo mom, loved Buddha. The staff was professional, efficient, warm, charming and very accommodating. We felt free to explore the real Siargao and come home to clean rooms, the resort's architecture was extremely appropriate- fresh and neat. We felt right at home, we were alone in the place which made it quieter I suppose than usual. Food was good too, and so was the Gin&Tonics. I felt I saw the real Siargao and enjoyed impeccable service and met wonderful people at Buddha. I shall return!

Room Tip: We got the Deluxe, which is value for money as breakfast was included.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
siargaosurf, Owner at Buddha's Surf Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thanks for the review. Make sure you escape Manila soon and come back for another visit!

Been to Buddha's Surf Resort? Share your experiences!