“Great stay and great service” 5 of 5 stars

The Boardwalk at Cloud 9
General Luna, Mindanao 8400, Philippines   |
Ranked #13 of 38 Siargao Island B&B and Inns
San Francisco, CA
“Great stay and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I just stayed at the boardwalk at cloud 9 for three action packed days. Jerson and Rhoda helped arrange everything from surf lessons, island hopping, massages, to snorkeling, and paddleboarding. The deluxe and premium rooms are great, although I saw a standard room and did not like it as much. Power, Internet and hot water was intermittent. Food was okay but there are other options in the area such as ocean pacific and 101 restaurant nearby. The highlight of our trip was a day of surfing and island hopping at daku island, which was organized by jerson at the boardwalk. Rhoda and Andrew were also very easy to work with. She separated our bill for five people in a group, keeping very detailed records of how the expenses were divided. Then they accepted PayPal when we didn't have sufficient cash.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boardwalk_Resort, Owner at The Boardwalk at Cloud 9, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Yeah you guys were fun to have stay with us. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and thanks for the review.

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Kerrie and Frank were supreme hosts-- great email notification, spot-on airport pickup and drop offs, and a nice room to boot. Even provided a little hydrogen peroxide for a toe, arranged motorbike rental, and had general good advice with a smile about the island. Great restaurants across the street and down the road to get a little variety. The ocean views/AC are just an absolute must, worth the extra money. Wifi good in the terrace and even in Room 2 above it. It was surfing off-season but I do with the surf instructors were a bit more available for beginners.

Room Tip: Ocean View-- Room 2 was fabulous!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi, thanks very much for the great review. Hope you can make it back again one day,

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Arrived when a Typhoon was at warning 1 .it was raining hard and overcast . went to eat in the restaurant but was turned off by the mangy dogs lying and wandering in the eating area .???any health inspectors around here ?? .the boardwalk was fantastic with huge surf but no one surfing .too rough they said . walked out the boardwalk and photographed the raging sea it was magnificent . would like to go surf or dive there next time .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hi, we closed when the typhoon was on. The safety of our guests was our concern at the time. Luckily we don't get typhoon often. every 30yrs or so

The Road
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I planned a visit to Siargao in advance to be the exclamation point to a three month trip in SE Asia. I sent out emails to several different spots on Cloud 9, with Andrew replying almost immediately. Over the course of the next week or so, we went back and forth via email. Andrew was quick to respond to my emails, answer my questions, and work with me (on a number of things, including my desire to have a flexible set of arrival/departure dates). Once my arrival date approached, Kerrie, acting manager while Andrew is off on holiday, stepped in and took over on arranging my pick up from the Dapa pier and all the details from throughout my stay.

Upon arrival, Jet (best driver on the island!) was there to pick me up and take me on the 30-45 minute drive to Cloud 9 (beautiful scenic drive). Once I got to The Boardwalk, my jaw dropped. The physical beauty is stunning. My joy continued as I checked out the digs. An awesome terrace for eating/drinking/hanging out overlooking the Cloud 9 break, a pool table, and a stereo system available to take turns playing iPods. My fan room had an ocean view with a more than suitable bed (two, actually), clean bathroom, and warm shower.

The staff are all wonderful people and a pleasure to be around. They make sure you are taken care of and have a fun time doing so. It really felt like a family around there. Pairing this with some other awesome guests at the time, and the general positive vibes of the island, and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I'm not one for hyperbole, either.

- -
Notables: Wifi wasn't on at first, which causes some people to flip out...but for me, it was quite nice as I had no reason to be attached to a device. I was on a freaking island, so I shouldn't have had a reason in the first place! (They got wifi working on the second day I was there.)

You can negotiate prices from locals on hitching rides on their boats to the different break points. There doesn't appear to be a standard going rate and sometimes any rhyme or reason. However, it will never cost you more than around 200 pesos ($5 US).

Mosquitoes were only a bother when the wind died down (didn't happen often), but you may want to have some repellent.

Rent a motorbike and cruise around the island's countryside for some great views.

Laundry is done, and done well, on site.

Food is reasonably priced and very good.

- -

I had a planned stay of one week, but after my first day or two, decided I would extend that and spend my remaining two weeks there. It was just...an idyllic island experience. Sadly, Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) ended up coming right for the island and forced me (and other guests) to evacuate. Living in Florida, I have endured several hurricanes, so I understand how stressful and confusing the process can be. I can't say enough good about how Kerrie managed it. She helped all guests by giving us a daily update, keeping us abreast of our options as it continued to approach, and then finally assisted in our evacuation preparations (allowing me to use her phone to buy an airline ticket, lending her laptop to other guests to purchase tickets, arranging transportation for all of us to the airport, etc.). I truly did not want to leave and was quite sad to do so. Given this craziness, it just says a lot about how positive the experience was before the typhoon. And I haven't even said a word about the surf...but, that's what Cloud 9 is known for and there is definitely a good reason for it. There is surf available for all levels, too.

I would plan a trip back to the Philippines just to go back to Siargao and The Boardwalk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Hello, thanks very much for the great review. Sorry you had to leave because of the typhoon, but it does give you another reason to visit us again to complete your holiday. Next time I will be here instead of on holidays.

Thanks again, and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Lovely place to stay at, staff were wonderful, both helpful and fun to be with. It was really like a little family! The breakfast was great, lots of fruit, eggs and toast, wonderful coffee. Food during the day was well-priced and quite delicious (pancakes and fried shangai rice are a must!!)
It was great to just hang out in the terrace tables and watch the waves. Incredibly located, had us make the most of our trip. A place I truly didn't want to be leaving and to which I'll definitely go back.
Thanks Kerry, Malou & rest of the staff for helping make my trip such a great experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi there, thanks for the review. I happy that you had a good time. It makes it a pleasure to have guests like you guys.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I didnt want my trip to end. The team at The Board Walk Cloud 9 are perfect. Everybody works as a team to make sure that your holiday is as relaxed as you want it to be. I wish I had longer to see and do more. Andrew and Rhoda are the perfect hosts and the bbq on Sunday night is great evening.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
I'm glad you had a good time and we are looking forward to your return.

andrew
Ban Ko Tao, Chumphon, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I spent about 3 weeks on this beautiful peaceful island, after 1 day I wanted to move in...
I knew on the bike from the airport to the boardwalk that I could see myself getting stuck for a while. A friend and I stayed at The Boardwalk at Cloud 9, which was a perfect location.
Andrew and Rhoda were very inviting and hosted all of our needs, the staff were also fantastic, cheerful and very helpful. The island its self has a awesome vibe about it. Some of the friendliest, happiest most kind hearted people I have met in the world.
The surfing was off tap, so many little spots to explore. Little islands short/cheap boat rides away to areas where no one else is out, to drives around to island to breaks on secluded little amazing beaches and once again not may people around what so ever. Waves to cater for any level of surfers needs, and if not a surfer the surf instructors are great at teaching and will get you standing and riding a wave your first day.
It is more than the surfing too, so much to keep you busy once your bored of relaxing. Island hopping on a boat for the day is a fantastic way to check out some of the surrounding islands. Taking a motorbike around the island can be done in a day and is a great way to check out the island, a awesome waterfall, beaches and bays, rivers, Sohoton cave, rock pools, markets and more...
If you have energy at the end of the day there is always something going on at night too... Bones Bar on the beach just down from boardwalk is great for a beer or 2 and sport streamed on the weekends. Benefit dances and fiestas happening all the time as well as anything that the locals want to invite you too.
Could not recommended The Boardwalk more for accommodation, its next to none. I guarantee you will love it! If not, you dont deserve to be there...

Room Tip: All are fantastic, prices ranging for all types of travellers...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Boardwalk_Resort, Owner at The Boardwalk at Cloud 9, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Hey Westy, We are glad you enjoyed yourself while you were here. All the staff miss the both of you and hope you can come back soon one day. Enjoy the rest of your trip

Been to The Boardwalk at Cloud 9? Share your experiences!