“South Point Cottage - Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

30% off for whole villa
Ranked #1 of 20 Ahangama B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
singapore
“South Point Cottage - Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

South Point Cottage - offers stunning uninterupted views across the lake. There is no swampy mash - so no smell, just pristine water and mud-skippers at the shoreline.
If you arrive to Gaulle during the day we would recommend taking the sea plane - the drive from Collumbo is tendious and with the lake landing strip in front of the cottage - why not.

You will be delighted by the professionalism of the staff, quality of the cooking and attention of the caretaker.
You can expect quality cotton bed linens and spotlessly clean & polished floor tiles inside and out.
Your time will be spent reading, fishing, swimming in the pool or wandering to the beach.
The verandah will be the centre for eating and relaxing - as the lounge is connected to the main bedroom on the firstfloor you won't make much use of this space.
The cottage - is tranquil the only thing missing (because we spent so much time lounging about) are some really comfortable outdoor chairs and plush bed mattress.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've been meaning to write this review for almost a year but moving abroad and settling into a new life on a different continent have got in the way. My husband and I got married at South Point Villa last February and the owners and staff at the villa did everything they could to ensure that our holiday (with our 4 children) and wedding were perfect.

There is so much to say that it's hard to know where to start but if you are considering a holiday here; don't hesitate. The place is wonderful, the staff are amazing, the food is sublime and the owners really care about you and your holiday. It would suit most holiday groups; all adults, groups with very young children and those with older kids. We were there with 4 children aged 6 to 11 and they had a wonderful time. It rained a lot when we were there (which is very unusual for that time of year) but that didn't matter since the kids had plenty of space inside to play (there are three bedrooms, each with their own bathroom). Once the rain stopped, we spent plenty of time in the pool (which is to the side of the villa) and in the sea. The waves are pretty fierce at some points along the beach so watch kids who aren't confident swimmers.

Our wedding was perfect. The owners did so much to ensure that we had a wonderful day and I know that they provided all sorts of things that we hadn't paid for. Generosity like that doesn't go unnoticed so thank you! People asked me how I managed to organise a wedding, thousands of miles away, in a couple of months whilst getting my English house redecorated and preparing to move to a new country. The answer is that the owners of South Point Villa made it all so easy. No matter how many silly questions I asked and outlandish requests I made, everything was dealt with easily and calmly. If you are considering getting married at South Point; I really recommend having an elephant and having fireworks in the evening. If you have any further questions, you can easily contact me via South Point (I'm Emma) as I am sure they can send any questions on to me. Our day could hardly have been more perfect and was made even more special late in the evening when we saw a female turtle on the beach, just a few footsteps away from where we had got married earlier that day.

The staff were wonderful. There is a General Manager who keeps everything working like clockwork. There is a superb cook who will ensure that your every culinary desire is satisfied. It took him a few days to realise just how conservative 3 of the children are when it comes to food but once he realised, he adjusted their food and always gave them the bland, boring food they craved! My husband and I love our food and we had long discussions as to what he could cook for us and he consistently offered wonderful and exciting menus and meals. The housekeeper is extraordinary and even managed to get brown fake tan lotion off my step-daughter's cream bridesmaid's dress. Once the children were tucked up in bed, the houseboy ensured that our drinks flowed and the ice kept on being delivered when we wanted it.

The owners of South Point support a local school which is just over the road from the villa (once you're inside the grounds, you would have no idea you were anywhere near a road; so don't let that put you off). 2 of the children and I went over to the school twice. We were keen to meet the children and we'd been told that the kids love people going there and teaching them English. I felt somewhat self-consicious singing nursery rhymes in front of 60 or 70 young kids but they seemed to enjoy it (despite my voice being dreadful). I loved meeting the school kids and I thought it was a good experience for all involved. The kids learnt a bit of English and had the chance to show off their English skills to us and they loved having their photos taken and seeing the pictures on the camera screen. My step-children and I learnt a little about the children and I think my step-children appreciated the differences between schools in the UK and in Sri Lanka. I just have to persuade my daughter to go the next time we visit as I think she'd enjoy it. We've been to an orphanage in Kenya before and I think she was worried it might be like that. It isn't. There is nothing harrowing or uncomfortable about it and I would recommend anyone visiting the villa to make the 3 minute journey to the school.

The decor in the villa is lovely. It's well thought out, very attractive and it blends some traditional furniture with quite modern art which I thought worked brilliantly. The beds are comfortable (always a bonus if you suffer from a bad back as I do). There is a lovely garden between the villa and the beach and we loved being there or looking out over it when it was raining. There are a couple of rabbits hopping around which adds to the charm of the place. There are also two gorgeous dogs. If you're not a dog lover; don't worry, you won't see or hear them as they will be kept elsewhere. If you like dogs, you can ask for them to join you and they are just lovely. They are two Dobermans and whilst I know that the breed doesn't have the greatest of reputations; these two are the soppiest and most gentle creatures you can imagine. They would come with us down to the part of the beach that has the biggest waves. We were able to leave all our valuables on the beach with no concerns since the dogs look frightening so no one would have dared steal anything.

South Point really is paradise. The service is as good as I have experienced in the likes of The Oriental in Bangkok, Raffles in Singapore and The Imperial in Tokyo. The food is brilliant and the chef is able to be flexible and please children with very conservative tastes at the same time as keeping three "foodies" happy. Our wedding was amazing and the holiday was heavenly. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at South Point Villa for 5 wonderful days during Christmas. Sonali made it truly special for us by organizing a wonderful Christmas dinner and all kinds of other surprises! My kids loved the dogs, Sandy and Lisa. The highlight was catching fish with the local fishermen. Never have we caught such a variety of huge fish! Luckily, Janaka, the skillful chef at the villa, prepared the fish in different ways and we delighted in sampling his delicious creations!

We loved the tranquility of South Point. The staff really took care of us and we felt quite safe leaving the kids with them when we went to visit Galle. The property is fantastic but it was Sonali and the staff that really made it special. We will cherish our memories of Sri Lanka.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our family of four (including two girls ages 7 and 4) stayed at South Point Abbey for four nights this November and we cannot say enough nice things about the villa and our experience there. It was the last stop in our first two-week visit to Sri Lanka and it was the best way to end a fantastic vacation. We stayed in another high-end villa on the nearby lake for the previous five days and thought that it was very lovely until we stayed at SPA.

SPA was spotlessly clean, the service was highly professional without being fussy, and the food was the best we had in Sri Lanka. Charuthi, the helper, was so kind and sweet to our girls -- she paid attention to them when they asked for it and made them little origami gifts of paper and leaves. Sugeth, the housekeeper, was kind, pleasant and was always available when we needed anything, but never intrusive. We ate many of our meals at the villa during the four days and we tried most things on Shantha's menu, all of which were delicious and the presentation was better than many restaurants. The kids loved the left-over string hoppers that Shantha fried for afternoon tea.

The girls' room was off of the master suite and was separated by doors and four stairs. Their room, had a plantation style feel, had twin beds, white bedding, and a white, large tiled floor. We loved the kids' bathroom with it's large shower and high ceilings. The master bed was very comfortable and not too hard. The balcony off the master bed and upstairs living room was very inviting, but we found that we spent most time on the covered patio on the first floor.

The pool was private and looked over the ocean. The beach was steps away, and was gorgeous; the ocean was very warm and sand was soft and clean. We all enjoyed the perfectly behaved dogs, Sandy and Lisa, who came to play when invited. We would love to have dogs like them at home.

If you are able to stay at South Point Abbey we would absolutely recommend that you do. The pictures and description on the website do not do the villa justice -- it is not "rustic" (we almost did not stay there because of this description), but it does have beautiful, solid, antique teak furniture. It is a fabulous place for a relaxing vacation. Also, the manager arranged for very nice perks like candles in the garden on our last night and live music, and he also arranged for a gem dealer to come to the house one afternoon. Just an FYI -- bring your gin for G&Ts from duty free. Sugeth will provide all the other fixings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I could not recommend a more exquisite place to stay than the spectacular Southpoint Villa near Galle on the south coast of Sri Lanka. Everything was beyond perfect. From the gorgeous surroundings, the beautiful bedrooms, the magnificent food prepared each day, to the staff that anticipated any need or want well in advance.

The two "house dogs" could not have been more delightful and joined me on my morning walks on the beach.

For anyone considering a wedding or special gathering, I would highly recommend Southpoint to be the top of your list.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope to return one day very soon.

• Liked — the scenery, the food and the helpful staff.
  • Disliked — too far to walk to surrounding villages
Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed in the villa for a week, two families with six kids under 8. The villa is very comfortable and clean, the beach is great, the pool as well. But what made the real different was the staff. Excellent chef that prepared all our meals during that week, the waiters and everybody was very friendly and helpful. The location is also very suitable with famileis with kids, there are many things to do in the vicinity. For us it was a great holiday and very much value for money. Thanks

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent a magical 5 days at South Point Villa, being waited on hand and foot, in the most discrete manner. Simply delicious food, beautiful beach and sea. Wonderful pool and garden. We were so comfortable and contented, that we never left the villa/beach once. The villa is beautifully furnished, and so big and spacious.
Traffic noise from the road could be heard at night, so take ear plugs if you are sensitive. In the garden the noise was not to be heard above the wonderful sound of crashing waves.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
southpoint, Owner at South Point Villa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
We thank our guests for their review and recommendation on their stay at South Point Abbey.

We have two beach villas.

South Point Villa is built in the centre of a property away from the road and close to the beach.

South Point Abbey where our guests stayed is a 200 year old Dutch building beautifully restored and situated close to the road. On our website we mention occasional sounds of traffic may be heard. South Point Abbey is very popular and has many repeat guests.

By early 2013 with the completion of the southern highway going thru the interior to the deep South - traffic on the scenic coastal road passing south point abbey will be reduced considerably.

Been to South Point Villa? Share your experiences!