“Great food although we liked it more when it had two stars..” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London
“Great food although we liked it more when it had two stars..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We discovered this restaurant 4 years ago when in the area and had the most memorable meal there. So it was with a lot of excitement that we booked it this time. Whilst the food was still exceptional we felt that the pressure of three Michelin stars has put a lot of emphasis on the presentation whilst what we liked about the place the first time were the earthy flavours. Still a favourite though and recommend to those who haven’t tried it yet. We will go on searching for another perfect meal though.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oslo, Norway
“One of my best restaurant experiences, but not always ***”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

By all means, the restaurant is an experience you should allow yourself if you happen to be in the area. But when visiting a Michelin *** restaurant, the bar is raised as high as possible. For me, that would be a comparison with Daniel and Momofuku Ko in New York, and Michel Sarran in Toulouse. Of these, Daniel is the flawless one, and Momofuku the most memorable, and these will still be after visiting Gilles Goujon.

To start on the positive side, the location makes visiting this restaurant something very special, and to start a romantic dinner with the house cocktail and extremely good hors d'oevres in the saloon was close to ultimate. One of the hors d'oeuvres, with truffle, was so good that I wish i could keep it in my mouth forever.The service was friendly, not as professional as Daniel, but with more charm. We chose the surprise menu Air de fete en Corbieres, and it started out high with some excellent starters, the tomato oeuf pourri as a highlight. Unfortunately, the main courses was a little disappointing compared to the starters, by all means good, but not something I will remember for very long. These were red mullet with safran fish soup and pigeon. What I found very positive was that Gilles Goujon came out for a chat after the meal, the personal touch is appreciated.

Then to the reasons I cannot give a full score to the restaurant:

- The sommelier was not very helpful. Choosing a surprise menu, we had to rely on him choosing wines, and we were hesitating in between one glass of white and a bottle of red, and vice versa. He confirmed that there was only one fish course, and that the meat would be light. Hence he led us into believing a bottle of red would be appropriate. Consequence - we were sipping to one glass of white through two vegetarian courses, one shellfish course before the mentioned fish course. The bottle of wine was finally served to the meat course, the very last course before cheese and dessert. This alone means a low service score despite the very good job of the young waitstaff.

- There was simply too much food. When coming to the pigeon course, I was already full, and by the dessert I didn't manage to fully appreciate it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Paris, France
“If you do nothing else again - Eat Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

As part of a two week holiday and a birthday celebration we have the pure joy of eating in this most amazing restaurant.

From entering the front door to leaving 3 hours later we were treated to an amazing feast for both our palates and our eyes. Our amuse buches were explosions of flavour almost as a tease of the treats to come. One course after another was just pure theatre of taste and presentation. The service was second to none. We were delighted to see the chef Gilles Goujon come and speak to each table at the start of our meal and to wish us "Bon Appetite" . This was no super ego chef - this was someone who was genuinely passionate about he art he was creating. The tone was set by his presence as his staff began to serve with a care and attention second to none. From the very young wine waiter, to the Maitre D, the staff were exceptional. The Maitre D - Claudio, was a master - he explained what each course was as he served each table, informed customers how to approach, eating/disassembling the fare in order to get the best mix of flavours. He happily took photos of people with the creations on their plates and paid such genuine care and attention to an elderly couple at a table near us that it was touching. He made such a lovely difference to our whole experience.

We were amazed again when, as we were having our coffee , the chef appeared again to see how we had enjoyed our meal - when I explained how much we had enjoyed the entire experience we could see he was genuinely moved. What a humble man this was - not like some of the prima donnas we experience as Michelin Star TV Chefs.

I cannot recommend this establishment enough. So far our experience is enough to bring us back to this part of France again next year so we can again experience the craft of Gilles Goujon.

• Visited September 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Perfect top-notch gastronomic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We experienced the 6-course gastronomic discovery menu and it was mind (and tongue) blowing !

All products were very carefully chosen and respectfully prepared, in recipes with immense creativity and talent (sometimes using techniques reminding of molecular cuisine, but without the strangeness of the arch-enthusiasts of this particular school).

I've eaten at most of the "3-star" (Michelin) or 19/20 (Gault Millau) restaurants throughout France - and this is one of the best expériences I've made in this category in the whole country.

The place is quite remote and difficult to find without a GPS or a good map - but it's still definitely worth the effort and the detour !

Very professional and attentive service, excellent wine list... and a few guests rooms for those who enjoyed the wine list too thoroughly with their meal !

• Visited August 2013
Doha, Qatar
“Wonderful treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our recent stay at Auberge du Vieux Puits was a well-deserved treat for my wife and I. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon, enjoyed dinner in the restaurant, stayed overnight, and only left next morning as the check-out deadline approached.

The total cost was almost €800 for dinner, bed and breakfast for two – more than I have ever spent before – and it was worth every penny!

Our room was a good size, with basic but good quality furnishings, excellent quality linen, and a well-appointed bathroom. Outside our window we had a small terrace that opened onto a courtyard with a pool and several sun beds. Shortly after we arrived a basket of excellent fresh fruits, and really delicious selection of biscuits and other treats was delivered. Even though we were afraid that these might ruin our appetite we could not resist!

After taking some sun we presented ourselves at the restaurant at about 8.30pm. Most other guests were arriving at that time too. I read the menu while sampling the cocktail of the day while my wife enjoyed a perfect Virgin Mary. Amuse Bouches were offered, each of which was a taste explosion in the mouth. We opted for the Air de fêtes en Corbières menu at €175 per person. I was the only person drinking alcohol, so I decided to leave myself in the hands of the sommelier, who chose perfect wines for each course that we enjoyed.

The menu comprised of a succession of small dishes including the famous truffle egg, shelfish, fish and pigeon followed by cheeses and desert, and finally tea/coffee with petit fours. If this seems like a brief description of the meal it is only because I don’t have the time (nor probably the vocabluary) to go into the detail of each course, but the food was simply divine, expertly cooked and exquisitely presented. I have eaten at one and two star restaurants before but this was my first three-star experience, and it was fabulous !

Most of the guests stayed overnight and as we were leaving the restaurant we were asked for our breakfast preferences. We returned to our room, which thanks to the shutters that had been closed, was perfectly dark. After a very restful sleep we rose to enjoy breakfast on the terrace of our room. This too was a treat. The terrace rooms are in a separate building from the restaurant, and the staff bring your breakfast to your terrace, together with all the required linen and utensils, in a large basket. The table is set and breakfast is laid out for you. We were offered delicious cherry juice, very good coffee, and a selection of breads and pastries. Everything was perfect.

A visit to someplace like Auberge du Vieux Puits is something most of us can only do once in a while – but I think that I will start saving my pennies so that I can go back!

• Visited July 2013