“Fabulous!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Greenwood

and 1 more site!
You added The Greenwood to your Saves list
The Greenwood
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   76 Main Road, | West Huntspill, Highbridge TA9 3QU, England   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Highbridge B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Fabulous!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Had an absolutely wonderful time at Greenwood b & b this weekend.
Warming welcome, beautiful surroundings, glorious food & excellent service.
Cannot wait for my next visit to Somerset so that I have the opportunity to stay at Greenwood again.
Say hello to Paddy & Guinness for me Penny :)

Danielle & Peter

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments. Paddy, Guinness and I look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Had a set meal which we ordered before,as this was our christmas meal.it seats up to 30 so ideal for a small works group/ family party
The ambiance and food was good and we really had a lovely time. Starter, mains, pudding, and coffee with mince pies for £22 , I thought was excellent value and the staff were excellent and very welcoming.
A pleasant and enjoyable evening.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for you fabulous comments.I'm so glad you enjoyed your evening.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed at the Greenwood for two nights, due to moving house and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. It provided a wonderfully relaxing interlude and an ideal antidote to the rigours of the house- moving process. I have mainly stayed in chain hotels up until now, for the convenience and because "you know what you will get". However, what you get at the Greenwood is much better, in my opinion. It is easy to find on the main A38 just outside Highbridge, but is set back from the road, in a peaceful rural environment. The building itself is charming and has a homely atmosphere, with a definite sense of history. There is a lounge available for guests to use, and a selection of books to borrow. My room was clean and warm and just the right size for someone travelling alone. The shower-room was pleasant. There were some very nice personal touches, such as the folder of local information, a good choice of teas in the room, and toiletries in the shower-room. Breakfast was lovely and there was a very good choice, including locally-produced foods. The proprietor, Penny, was welcoming and helpful throughout the stay and also provided a freshly-cooked evening meal on request. She was also very understanding about my very late arrival on the first day! For those who have dog(s), it is worth noting that the hotel is dog-friendly. Overall, I thought that the Greenwood provided excellent value for money and would have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your fantastic comments. I hope you are now settled into your new home and enjoying living in the area. I hope to see you next year for a cream tea!
Bradford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We have friends in Highbridge and so are regular visitors to the area. Our regular hotel and our backup hotel weren't available at short notice and other local hotels wouldn't allow us to stay for just one night. And so we ended up at The Greenwood feeling very optimistic having read the great reviews. The building is stunning and in a beautiful location which was convenient for us when visiting our friends. The entrance hall is very grand and the public areas match this with a very open and welcoming warm homely feel. I loved all the higgledy piggledy staircases and low doors. To get to our room (Room 1) we had to pass through a strange little storage area where travel cots were stored, which I found a bit odd as normally I would expect them to be out of sight. The room itself was spacious, with a double and single bed. Being an old house the floors and walls aren't straight but this adds to the charm. The bed was comfortable and it was nice to have windows that open, in case you're hot, and heating that you can control, which you can't in many chain hotels. We couldn't get the wifi working at all, having tried using 3 different devices. Breakfast was very nice, and you could tell that the ingredients were high quality; it was nice to know that they were locally sourced too. Homemade jam at breakfast is just one of the little touches that made this an excellent breakfast. I would have liked to have seen more period features in the room, as this is obviously a lovely old building, and the pine furniture made it feel more 1980s student accommodation than 18th century charm. I expected the rooms to match the outside and the public spaces inside, but even the beams had been papered/painted over. I found the bathroom utterly strange; there was a massive shower with a narrow drawer/cupboard combo next to it, where I would have been inclined to go for a shower over bath combo to maximise the available space, and also, the whole room, including the walls was clad entirely in some kind of fake marble effect plastic casing. There was nothing wrong with it, I guess it just wasn't to my taste. Room 1 is a lovely quiet room with a view over the garden and out to the fields beyond. The booking procedure was really good; I booked online and paid a 50% deposit, and paid the remainder when I left. I would stay here again if my regular hotel wasn't available, but my regular hotel is cheaper and the bedrooms are more to my taste. Breakfast however, is much nicer at The Greenwood due to the obvious cost invested in providing quality locally sourced ingredients.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive appraisal of your visit to The Greenwod. It is helpful to understand what guests' pre-visit expectations are and how we match up to them.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

we used the greenwood as our base for the Bridgwater carnival, what an inspired choice.
we booked a family room as we had our 7yr old grandson with us. on our arrival { which was early } we were met by Penny who showed us to a really lovely family room.
breakfast in the morning was first class with so much choice, I would have no hesitation in recommending the Greenwood.

Room Tip: the family room we had faced over the front garden
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
It was great to meet all three of you. I'm glad you enjoyed your time at The Greenwood.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Before arriving at The Greenwood for a night's stay I had contacted Penny to confirm a few details and her friendly and welcoming nature was obvious from the start. The house is lovely, the rooms are clean, comfortable and well furnished; and there were a multitude of little extras which made all the difference. Breakfast was one of champions, with a wide selection of locally sourced, very well cooked food and homemade delights. There was a communal lounge and bar which were both very nice, as well as a therapy centre which I am sure would be excellent too. If you are in the area this is somewhere not to miss.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you so much for saying such nice things. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Try this eco-friendly guest house. We stayed here one night on our way to Hereford and enjoyed it. Although it is situated on a main road, the house is set well back from the road and we had a quiet, comfortable night. Penny was a conscientious hostess and suggested a nice local pub for our evening meal. The hearty English breakfast, which was cooked to order, was delightful using fresh local produce. The house was easy to find and the car park was more than adequate. Penny obviously works hard to keep her guests happy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Penny R, Owner at The Greenwood, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
You are very kind. Thank you for your lovely comments.

Been to The Greenwood? Share your experiences!