“Friendly, helpful staff and nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   858 Frigate Bay Road, Frigate Bay, St. Kitts   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Frigate Bay
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Friendly, helpful staff and nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We just spent a week at this hotel and had a wonderful time. We arrived a couple of hours before check in time, and they gave us a pager to let us know when our room would be ready. Within 30 minutes the room was ready, and the manager on duty told us he'd personally checked the room to make certain everything was ready. We stayed in room 526 in the main hotel which was actually a suite with a double balcony that had access from the bedroom and the living room. The bathroom had a separate whirlpool tub and large shower as well as a toilet room with bidet. The room also had a half bath near the entry. It was equipped with two televisions, but we never turned either of them on during the trip.

We ate at every restaurant on the property and were pleased with the food. Our room rate had breakfast included, so we ate at the buffet daily. They had the same food for breakfast each day with one or two different items. This is typical of the Marriotts where we've stayed before.

We had several spa treatments, and we were pleased with the staff and the services. One day, a spa employee came by the pool to let everyone know they were offering half off deals on massages and facials. I took advantage of the offer by having both services!

We frequented the casino regularly, and the dealers and wait staff as well as the pit bosses were friendly. I even won a jackpot on the Caribbean Stud poker game. That was a surprising bonus that made the trip even better.

I would give the hotel 5 stars except for some maintenance issues I observed. There are two banks of two elevators in the center of the hotel. The first day of our stay, one of the banks (two elevators) went out of service. They remained out of service until we checked out. The mechanical systems (air conditioning and plumbing) in the rooms could be improved. Our air conditioning cooled the room to about 75 degrees. This is due in part to the fact that it doesn't run when you are out of the room. After the room has been vacant all day, it takes a while to cool down. I also think the plumbing needs some work. There isn't a lot of pressure when you flush the toilet and it is fairly noisy. Since we were on the top floor, we didn't hear any other guests' water draining.

We would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

2,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
Dayton, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

St. Kitts is so beautiful- we chose it for our 10th anniversary bc we wanted an island we could afford, access easily, and that offered adventure. We didn't care much about where we stayed, and really there aren't many options. The Marriott is fine. We stayed in the hotel itself, not the villas or the timeshares. I did hear those were nice. The hotel is clean with nice pools, a spa, a gym, a beach. I was not a huge fan of the main pool- a DJ, a bar, people acting stupid...reminded me of MTV's Spring Break. I prefer private and peaceful, which was more possible at the north or south pool. We enjoyed the beach- very windy toward the late afternoon- but could have done without the people coming by and asking if we wanted a massage or a cd of caribbean music. The best thing about the beach for us was the turtles. We rented snorkeling equipment from the hotel for $16 USD and swam out maybe 50 feet and there were huge sea turtles munching on sea grass. It was awesome.
We ate away from the hotel so I can't speak to the restaurants, but I will say i liked the breakfast and coffee at Rituals (just down the street) better than the cafe calypso. We also ate at Serendipity (overrated), walked out of Spice Mill after they told us they were out of both lobster and rib eye, eliminating 4 things on an already small menu, loved local's night (Friday) at Reggae Beach Bar, Rituals Sushi was delicious and so close, and the Pavillion is a MUST- it's such a beautiful setting and the food is incredible.
We rented a car after 2 days of dealing with the taxis. Supposedly the rates are fixed, but sometimes they overcharge you and you CAN haggle with them no matter what the hotel tells you. My husband and I were so fed up after 2 days, we walked form the hotel to Basseterre and several cabs tried to give us a ride and offered us lower rates than the ones we had previously paid. It's a 2 mile walk- not bad really, totally doable- but everyone, the cabbies and the hotel staff were shocked by the fact that we wanted to walk. Renting the car was worth it in spite of the huge sales tax and the $25 to buy a license to drive on St. Kitts. It wasn't easy to get used to the driving (stay left and watch out for potholes), some of the streets through the villages are really narrow and there are lots of hairpin turns, but we liked having the freedom, saving the money and not having to talk to some of the crazy drivers (Gyron, driver of the Fighting Cock).
One of the reasons we rented the car was so that we could drive to the volcano trail and hike to the crater. EVERYONE we talked to- hotel staff, cab drivers, etc. emphatically told us we could not do the volcano ourselves, we needed a guide. A guide was at least $90 per person and we did not want to do that. We felt confident that we could handle the trail- finding it was our biggest worry. We finally convinced a driver to tell us where it was- gave him a couple of bucks and he drew on our map, of which there seems to be only one and it is terrible. If you can find maps before you go to the island, do it bc the only one they give you lacks much detail!! Anyway, we found the trail from the guy's directions and hiked to the crater. I would call it a pretty serious hike. Lots of climbing up exposed roots and rocks. The best advice we got about the trail was to keep looking up- the trail can be lost easily and is marked sporadically by other hikers. The rainforest is beautiful, the view was covered in mist, it rained the entire way down, and we were sore for 2 days afterwards, but it was worth it for us. I would suggest packing phones and anything you want to protect in ziploc of waterproof bags in case it rains:).
We also went over the Nevis one afternoon. Be mindful of what day you decide to do things- lots of things are closed on Saturdays and Sundays. We wanted to rent a car on the island (this was before we rented ours) and after finding the Thrifty "office", which was nothing more than a phone in a drug store, we were told it was closed for the day. Much to my husband's dismay, we got a taxi and he gave us a lovely tour. It's a much more quiet, private island. If I had the resources, I would love to stay at the four seasons on Nevis. Gorgeous.
Other advice we liked was to go shopping in Basseterre on days when the cruise ships dock. That's when all the stores open. People of the island are always telling you to tell your friends about St. Kitts- they really want to increase the tourist industry. The island depends on it. It would be nice if there were other options aside from the marriott- I heard they just broke ground for a Hyatt in Christophe Harbor and I bet that will be fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Fernando, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night, due to quick trip to St. Kitts, I wish I could have stayed longer. The service is of high standard that meets the Marriott standard. I was greeted by the sweet sound of the steel pan, check in was fast, information was provided with a warm smile. I stayed on room 376, and although there is an elevator, I still had a long walk to my room. The room was clean, spacious and well stocked. Although my room is advertised as ocean view, I was disappointed as I did not get a full ocean view. Nevertheless, the ocean breeze was very heavy on the balcony which made for the island feel. The in room dining arrived before their estimated time, and the staff were all friendly.

The grounds were well maintained, there were many activities for all age groups. The property offered beach access which was public. However the beaches were lined with cabanas which were sturdy to withstand the high speed wind from the ocean.

The only down side is that this hotel doesn't have a hotel shuttle to the airport and back attached to it but I do recommend the Kittitian Taxi and Tour Service.

I will most definitely stay at this hotel for a longer vacation in the future and would recommend it to anyone traveling to St. Kitts

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the higher floors towards the end for ocean view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Milltown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A very nice Mariott resort, great and very helpful staff and excellent, but somewhat overpriced meals. Cash in on the complimentary island juices and Carib in the Lobby!
The seafod dinners were fair priced and excellent, however the breakfast buffet was way over priced and just average.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The St. Kitts. Marriott Resort and The Royal Beach Casino is a fabulous place to take a vacation. The staff is so friendly and cater to your every need. The condo we stayed in was spacious and well appointed . We loved every minute of our time there. It has many restaurants on site and many within walking distance. There are many activities each day and many tour around the island to take. Don't miss this little island and this great reaort.

Room Tip: Higher rooms giver a better view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
enola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The beach is clean, the hotel is clean. Has plenty of shops and when storms and heat of the day, the power doesn't go out like other resorts. Thanks goodness. The resort also has on the lower level few days a week, locals come in with local merchz.

Room Tip: No need for beach front. As you normally are not in the rooms anyway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I have visited many islands in the Caribbean and have always enjoyed getting out to mix with the local people. After spending 5 days here, my wife and I both commented that the staff at this hotel were truly the most genuinely friendly people we have stayed with in all the islands. This included everybody. Not just a couple front desk people or a particular server. Absolutely everyone we came into contact with seemed genuinely happy and glad that we chose to stay on their island. We were able to venture out three nights, and this attitude was also evident where ever we went. The hotel itself was beautiful. Very well kept and the rooms were very clean. The staff though put this hotel over the top.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!