“Fairly average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fairly average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've stayed in a lot of Marriotts in the world but never a Marriott resort and I feel you can tell the difference straight away.

Our room was large and very clean but the "resort view" overlooked the air con vents (to be fair there was a discount when we complained).

Everywhere was very clean and tidy but the service was a bit hit and miss. Sometimes overbearing by the pool and sometimes non-existent.

My biggest gripe was the pay culture for everything, in particular the wifi when it is free at the coffee shop down the road which led us to take breakfast there each day. A perverse Marriott incentive. There was also a culture to push the Marriott organised trips as opposed to offering advice if wanting to go it alone. It might be a British thing but literally everything has a service charge added, drinks by the pool and even the room itself.

Don't get me wrong we had a nice time there but spent less and less time and money at the resort as the week went on, which probably tells its own story. I'd highly recommend walking over the Caribbean beaches about 30 mins away near Carambola, far nicer and what we were expecting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Bridgetown, Barbados
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel property is an oasis in the otherwise pretty bleak landscape! The service is a bit off, but it's St. Kitts. You get used to it! My room was very clean, and well appointed, but the air conditioner was freezing cold, and even when I turned it off, in the morning it was still a chilly 63 degrees in the room! I am glad I only stayed 2 nights as a result. The food in the restaurants is expensive and very mediocre. The beach is ok. Not the hotel's fault, but didn't make me go "wow". From a Caribbean standard I was disappointed. Not the calm crystal clear water you would expect on the Caribbean sea side. More like a sheltered Atlantic side in comparison. As a result I resorted to running on the beach rather than swimming for exercise!! I would recommend this hotel if you really want to go to St. Kitts!! But it's far from paradise.

Room Tip: Watch out for Garden view. It's more like a wall view. Select a sea view if you can. The pool is...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a very nice property and you will enjoy a full array of amenities and wonderful service and staff. The entire island is warm and friendly and the people here are genuinely happy that you are here. We stayed in both the out-buildings and main hotel tower and there are pluses and minuses to both. As to the towers, the pluses are that the view gets more and more terrific the higher you go, but the flip side is that if you are on the mountain side there will be limited breeze and the late afternoon sun will be directly in your room. As to the out-buildings, few will have views of the ocean. Most will face the various pools or courtyards. However, if you want you can actually open your doors and let the breezes cool your room, particularly at night. Although the resort is large, it is very quiet.

There are a number of restaurants on premises and a decent beach bar. The large pool offers the party atmosphere with load music and activities. There are two smaller pools (north and south) that are much quieter. We spent our time while on premises on the beach. There are numerous tent tops with 3-4 lounge chairs under each, but most of the ocean front ones seemed to get taken by folks before 10am with the occupants arriving through the morning.

We dined at the seafood restaurant on the beach and the Italian on the 2nd floor - they have hotel prices but reliable quality of food. We thought the Italian was reasonably priced. There is a little cafe where sandwiches, fruit salads, mufffins and coffee can be purchased each morning and next to it is a full service restaurant, but be prepared for typical hotel $30+ breakfasts. There are, however, a number of options to dine off premises including a coffee house about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and a Cafe along the "Strip" which is a 15-20 minute walk. There are also a number of restaurants - everything being along the same road and all walkable.

The hotel location itself is good as taxis work mainly under a fixed fee system with a ride to town being $12 before tip. Other restaurants are also within the $12 range. We didn't rent a car due to the $24 license, cost of petrol, and fear of driving a stick with a left hand on the "wrong" side of the road. Personally, I am the driver and am glad that we opted for taxis as it gave me a chance to enjoy the beauty of the island and thoroughly enjoy dinner libations without fear of the drive home. Taxis are interesting here as most people acclimate to a single driver who will then gladly pick you up whenever and whereever you want. The dialect is very hard to understand, so find a driver whose English you can comprehend. We used Debbis Carty 18697601518 and she was professional, friendly and reliable.

There is a cash machine in the casino and one among the stores within the building. The hotel has nearly anything you need - at resort hotel prices - but after all, it is a resort hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Paducah, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We arrived in st. Kitts and were pleasantly surprised by the location proximity to the airport. 10 min. Tops. Great!!!
The resort was absolutely beautiful. The beach might be on of the biggest I have ever been on.
If you go you must get pizza from the pizza shack poolside. The only downfall is service. All week long I found myself trying to justify waiting for food or drink for this long. I know we're on island time but 20 min after I order standing at the bar???????? I literally saw servers talking about personal things while my drinks are sitting there melting in the carribean sun. Jeez. St. Kitts better fix this attitude if the want to be a vacation destination. It was this way on almost every place we visited. But as far as the resort goes very acceptable by the islands standards.

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the St Kitts Marriott! I will admit that I had some hesitations after reading mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, so we were very pleased! Upon arrival we were greeted with rum punch and smiles all around! The front desk was very helpful with finding us the best possible room per our Marriott Rewards, and he even helped us to our room to make sure it was to our liking. We stayed in a room in building 2, spacious with a large shared balcony, not much of a view, but well appointed and clean. Only complaint with the room was the lack of an elevator to get to the 3rd floor with luggage; and I don't mind taking the stairs usually, but these really were quite a steep grade!

We enjoyed the beach and pool with swim up bar! Never had a problem finding a chair at either like some of the reviews have stated, and the front desk had even mentioned they had a pretty full house that week. Guest services were very helpful in setting up dinner reservations off of the property (most places require reservations, however we found out that you can usually call in the early evening and still get in that night). We ate at the Cafe and Bohemia for lunch and both were pretty good. We went off property for dinners after comparing menus to see what looked best to us (guest services desk has menus for all the restuarants around--never had a bad meal on the island). We were disappointed to see that the Cigar Bar had closed, however Julian at the Lobby bar makes a great martini! You will hear people talk about the locals "being on island time", but it was rare that we did have a wait for anything! I think its important to remember everybody is working and you aren't their only customer! I did get myself into the gym several days, it was a good size but usually pretty full in the mornings.

You are at a resort, so be prepared to pay a little more for food and drinks, as well as a resort fee. The only fee I thought was a little excessive was the wifi fee. Also, we like to get out and about and explore on vacations, and I thought we would be able to walk around to other places more (I didn't do good research there) but a taxi is needed for most places. I think it was about $8 down to "The Strip" at Frigate Bay, $16 downtown to Basseterre, and $24 to Cockellshell Beach (my favorite).

I must say that the people of St Kitts made the biggest and best impression on us! We were typically greeted with a smile, asked how our day was going/if we could be helped, even met some staff that were off duty downtown and they greeted us by name when we saw them the next day at the hotel! We love the Kittitian spirit and hope to visit again in the future!

THANK YOU!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Powell River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The resort itself is breathtakingly beautiful. The roof is covered, but not enclosed so a tropical breeze is blowing through the public areas at all times. The staff couldn't be more friendly or courteous. We went golfing on their 18 hole golf course. It was a fun game with the cart and water included. We were picked up at the hotel and dropped off after we were met by a staff member who cleaned our clubs as we cooled off with a cool towel that he provided. He met us at the exit later with our cleaned clubs and dropped us back off at the hotel. The food in the Calypso Cafe was good. We enjoyed the beef patties, a traditional caribbean dish and the cobb salad very much. We ate the beef patties every morning for breakfast. The coffee is also fantastic. We also ate at the Pizza Shack. They allow you to split the toppings in half, so we had the supreme toppings on one side and the Maui Maui on the other. The toppings were yummy, but the crust could have been better. Not bad though for a conveyor oven. The second time we ordered half meat lovers and half veggie with extra mushrooms. Unfortunately, they put extra olives instead of mushrooms. We were already at our room before we discovered the mistake, so we just ate it as is. I would not recommend ordering the caesar salad for $12US as it was just some cut up romaine lettuce with some boxed croutons. We also really enjoyed the chicken roti at the Calypso Cafe. There are 3 pools on site with lounge chairs that have shade "umbrellas" on them. The pools were very popular, but we prefered the beach just beyond the pools. There are many gazebos dotting the pure sand beach. Lounge chairs are plentiful. The sand is clean with no shells, seaweed or rocks. I am a person who doesn't enjoy walking barefoot on the beach, but this was no problem. My fiance enjoyed a massage on the beach from a person not affiliated with the hotel. He enjoyed it thoroughly. The location is the only downside to this resort. It is not really near any non touristy stuff. There are restaurants around within walking distance, but not real shopping or non touristy restaurants. We spent $10 getting to the "strip" to eat at Patsy's. Patsy's is highly recommended by the way for her wings. The trip to Port Zante cost $15 to do shopping. There are a lot of jewelery stores there and a lot of touristy shops. The duty free shop also has some really good prices. It is quite quiet there when there isn't a cruise ship in port. All in all I think you should go to St Kitts and lay in the sun with the warm breeze, play a round of golf and appreciate the fine friendly locals as they are the ones that make your stay the best. The Marriott rocks!

Room Tip: Rooms on the garden side are probably quieter, at least that's what we found. Also if you get on...
Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Beautiful resort, wonderful staff, and beautiful beach. Then why would they ruin it by charging $12.95 a day for wifi in the public areas. You can get it for free at a coffee shop down the street and at a hut restaurant on the beach. Very disappointing and not Marriott style.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino? Share your experiences!