“This vacation club could get a better rating with just a little attention to detail” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club

Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Beautiful location and for the most part pleasant staff. We stayed in a three bedroom villa over Christmas with nine of us and didn't feel the least bit cramped. So when I say attention to detail....this facility is just not kept up to the level you would expect from a Marriott. Tiles in the pool dirty, water cloudy at times.....trash left on the pool deck from one evening until the next morning. No towels available in the gym at times and sometimes no towels available at the pool. The volley ball net was ripped and volleyballs were either non-existent or just hard to come by. Also family shuffleboard available but there was no tracking who signed out the equipment or a time limit so that equipment wasn't available but also wasn't even visible. As far as I could tell there were two playing locations but only one set of equipment for the entire resort. It's hard to complain when you're in such an ideal setting but I'm used to a specific Marriott standard as a platinum member that the Beach Club just didn't live up to.
On a high note....the best conch fritters at the Beach cafe that I've had in years!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I would never come to the St. Kitts Marriott again. I have stayed in many Marriott's in my life, but this one was bad. First, don't go to St. Kitts. Stay on Nevis or Saba. St. Kitts is a dirty, crime-filled area. Most of downtown I would not travel at all. The roads are terrible. Poverty is extensive.

The Marriott's adds 57% of the cost of your room to the room as taxes and "service charges." 57%

The gym was a total dump and there were out of towels all the time. Most of the equipment was very rusted. The rooms were noisy. The staff lied to me when I had questions about a hiking trip (they said they did not know where the trail was and later that staff said some things that made it clear that he did know) about needing a guide. I have never felt lied to at any hotel like this and me and my wife travel a lot.

The food was overpriced (everything in this dump is overpriced) and average.

I will never come here again and this is my first time writing a review - if I save someone from the experience I had here it was worth my time.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Read everything that you sign. I have never stayed anywhere this this. I th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Morrisville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

[i'm wring this after several Ting with a Stings}

This place is incredible. its got all the fringes incluing the coffee bar, the pizza bar, the swim up pool bar, the fitness club, and the great beach. In fact, its hard to leave. Its like any amazing US resort.

But,, when you leave, you experience the real island. You see the sunsest at Shipwreck. The incredible days at Reggae Beach Bar. You hear the incredible history of the island from Derrick, the cab guy. You have a Teng with a Steng with Roti.

This island is incredible. And this is a great base camp I'm luck to be able to afford. But, if you want to experience the island, I recommend something a bit more quaint. maybe the hotiel hear the Shiggidy shack. Or the campers tents on Reggae Beach. Shop around. Life is short. Enjoy.

and have Ting with a Sting on me.

Room Tip: They did a bait and switch on us. We got promised a room with adjoining suite with our kids with po...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We were there in Oct. and it was hot and humid. Thank gods the a/c was always working in our condo.

At our request we were located near the swimming pool , therefore, no ocean view but we weren't there to sit in our room to stare at the ocean. We had a ground floor which was located across from the South Pool. The Main Pool is bigger and the source of entertainment for drinkers. We chose the south pool due to lack of children and noise. Service was there for Drinks but they didn't come around as often.

Our Condo was two bedrooms/2 bath and not a complaint to be had. Plenty of room for us to move around. Fully stocked kitchen and everything worked. No complaints.

We chose the all inclusive plan for breakfast Only. It worked out to $20 dollars/person a day and was only worth it if you eat at the buffet every morning. I really recommend not doing this..because you can save some money by eating off the menu. I was also told that the all inclusive for dinner wasn't offered at all the restaurants so check into this if you're an all inclusive type traveler.

We ate at most of the restaurants and again...a bit pricey but it was above average in taste and presentation. Make reservations .....the seating fills up quickly.

I really can't add anything new to what others have all ready said. You can't go wrong booking here.

Oh word of warning: When they say check out is at 10am they mean it. No leeway if you have a later flight. I found it odd that the cleaning staff was waiting at our door for us to leave. You know when your vacation has ended...LOL
However, they did hold our bags for us and let us shower at the spa since our flight back didn't leave until 3ish.

One last recommendation: Leeward charters. We did a private charter for 4 and had an awesome time. Well worth the money!

Room Tip: We were sent a request form for rooms prior to our arrival. They gave us what we requested and we c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I were greeted by the staff with cool towels to refresh ourselves from the flight along with a cool drink. The staff warmly welcomed us and took our luggage as I went to check us in. Unfortunately the front desk could not locate our reservation in spite of us having the booking number, confirmation number and reservation reference number.. After 15-20 minutes of looking in the computer. calling in the back office, calling American Express travel they were able to located the reservation. They made it up with a very nice room upgrade.

The staff of the property from the waiters and waitress to the pool attendants ALL have smile on their faces, ask how you are doing and sincerely care about the answer. The staff and the folks on St. Kitts and Nevis are some of he nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

The resort is very relaxing. The redcurrants were all good. The service was fine. Everyone wanted to please and they ALL cared that our meal and our stay was a good one. For our meals that we took off of the property of the concierge was very helpful with recommendations.

The property is maintained very well. It is not a 4 Seasons, but then neither are it's prices. We had a great time and would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation to a beautiful tropical island filled with friendly natives who take pride in their island.

Room Tip: All have their pluses and minuses. Main building is great, We had a room in another building with a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife an I have been to this property 3 times now, with our 4th starting in 3 weeks. Every trip is amazing. The staff is exceptional both at the timeshare and the hotel. The facility is perfect -- beautiful, comfortable, well appointed. And the location, well, it is idyllic.

Now, to be completely honest, we don't tend to eat at the restaurants except for lunch. So the complaints about the restaurants may be valid -- I have no point of reference. Frankly, I almost never eat at hotel restaurants, even when visiting the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton. I much prefer to go outside and eat at local establishments. This is the case for us in St. Kitts as well. There are great restaurants within a short walk of the Marriott and extraordinary restaurants just a cab ride away. So I am not sure why anyone would dine at a hotel when the local cuisine is always better.

The beach is a public beach. Yes, the Marriott has erected cabanas on the beach but there are plenty of signs indicating that it is not a private beach. So yes, like in many Caribbean resorts you will get the locals offering massages, goods for sale, etc. If this is not to your liking then either hang out at the pool or go to an island that allows hotels to "own" the beachfront. However, the locals are VERY NICE and a simple "no thank you" is always accepted without any issue. I suspect you could even handwrite a sign that said "please, do not solicit" and I bet it would be honored.

The island is incredibly friendly and very safe. It is NOT built up like many islands in the Caribbean. So if you like Aruba and all the activity that comes with a more tourist intensive island, then St. Kitts is not for you. The island does boast the highest literacy rate in the Caribbean.

I cannot say enough for the management and the timeshare staff at this facility. We will return every year -- if possible.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Oh boy, where do I begin? My husband and I own a Maui Marriott timeshare, and we've always wanted to trade to St. Kitts, and I must say we were underwhelmed.

Location: Good location, close to the airport. We took a taxi to the Marriott, and rented a car from Hertz on-site at the Marriott for the week. Taxi ride is a flat rate of $16 US dollars, and so we commonly gave the guy a $20, so trips around the island can add up.

Car Rental: From Hertz (onsite at Marriott) we were given a midsize piece of junk car. I don't want luxury, but this car had a lot of miles, whined on the uphills, and the front bumper was fully displaced and didn't line up with the car panels. Very expensive tor rent a car there, as they add in major taxes and a $25 temp license fee. Was it worth it to rent? I had to have it because I like relying on my own transportation, but the island had so little to see in retrospect, it was not necessary for the cost. Steering wheel is on the right and they drive on the left.

Room: We (just two of us) stayed in a giant 3 bedroom villa. The villa was beautiful, with giant bathrooms, excellently stocked kitchen, and huge balconies. Our villa was on the top floor, and the side veranda was large enough to hold a party for 50 people. I think the towels were kind of scratchy, so they could be replaced, but most everything was really nice. I had to call for shampoo, as the whole 3 bathroom villa had 2 tiny shampoo bottles in total. They sent them right up. They gave us coffee for the pot when we arrived, and on the freshen up day. The villa buildings are 3 levels high, and they don't have an elevator. I combed over the room binder book about the hotel and amenities, and found no room service menu like there should've been. I called the At Your Service number and they said it should be in there, but because I looked multiple times and confirmed it wasn't there, they sent up a menu. Due to weather delay, we stayed an extra night in the hotel in a regular room, and it was comfy, but surprised it needed some cosmetic repairs in the bathroom area. Tiny coffee maker had filters that didn't fit, which made it cumbersome to use. They needed to update the hotel info binder in the room too.

Restaurants: I had a big annoyance with the room service menu they gave me, as it said 10% service charge would be added, but when we ordered and rec'd our bill, it was actually 12.5% added. They charged a $4 delivery fee, which I thought was reasonable. The whole Marriott and lots of other places charge a $12.5 service fee, and I really hated it. Normally I would give 20%, but since service was commonly not great, I started just not giving anything beyond their 12.5%. We ate at their moderately priced Calypso restaurant for breakfast, and it was OK. I LOVE crunchy grilled french toast, and was surprised to see it on the menu. I ordered it and it came with strawberries and bananas (I asked them to hold the bananas), but when it came the waitress plopped it down with no fruit at all on it and never said a peep. I questioned where the berries are, and she said they have no strawberries. I asked is there anything else I could have, and she said blueberries, I said Ok and she brought them. It was like pulling teeth to get some darn berries. I have a feeling they rarely have strawberries, as I recall a similar story on St. Thomas. Why put it on the menu if you can never get the product? Frozen ones would've worked, but I guess they didn't think of that. Breakfast buffet was near $22. We loved their Pizza Shack pizza, the beach cafe was pretty good too. Fancy steak place was expensive, and good, but not super great. Another huge complaint about the restaurants is that they don't post their menus in the room binder or outside of the restaurant when they are closed. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't see the menus like that, like EVERY OTHER RESTAURANT DOES in the world. You can view it at the concierge desk.

Lobby setup: We arrived late so we checked in at the hotel check in desk, but during normal hours the timeshare people have their own desk. There's a desk which has no title over, around, or near it, and it took me days to figure out it was the concierge desk. They were so extremely unhelpful, I hated to speak to them. If you even mention the idea of seeing sights on the island, they cut you off and tell you to go the "Tours" desk. It's like they really don't want to speak to you about anything.

Wifi: Free for us for the week in the villa, but it didn't extend well outside on the grounds of the Marriott.

Grounds: Nice grounds, but I felt so bad for the cats that roam the area at night. I spoke to a rep from the Vet School on the island that they said they spayed/neutered near 50 cats at the Marriott, and they have their ears tipped. The problem is that nobody is in charge of feeding them, so they rely on the guests and garbage scraps. I heard 2 guests saying they bought cat food at the store for the cats during their stay. If you are an animal lover, I would suggest that if you go. I gave some cats some cheese I had during my stay.

Pools: Nice big pools, but the chairs need replacement. They are old, many in disrepair, and are rusty or broken.

Beach: We went around to all of the beaches on the island, and the Marriott one is the best. It has the widest beach and softest sand. Waves were kind of big, but the beach was the best.

Other beaches: The one on the peninsula end was yucky- terrible snorkeling, broken shells, hard, flat, and narrow. The one near Shipwreck bar and Shigidty Shack bar were similar- hard, flat, narrow. Water was nice on that side of the island, better snorkeling. To think that cruise ship people pay to be taken to those areas is terrible, but it's all the island has.

Service: This is what sets it apart from Aruba and St Thomas, the service just isn't very good. Ok, call it island time, but even with that factored in, it's not real friendly and energetic. Some people were better than others, but I think their work pool to choose people is poor. They don't uphold the Marriott standard.

Island: This island was a huge letdown. They have wild monkeys on the island, so the locals steal babies away from the moms and try to get visitors to pay to take pictures with them- just horrible. I saw starving dogs and cats. The main town is poor with the typical stores near the port area. The ride around island showed more poverty, and no restaurants for visitors. Everything was run down, with tons of shacks. Drugs are grown on the island, and although that doesn't bother me, it's the main reason why people shouldn't walk on jungle trails without an island tour guide. Very few beaches. Brimstone Hill Fort was worth seeing, the Batik store was good, Black Rock pretty, but was very similar to volcanic cliffs on Hawaii.

Scuba: We went with Pro Divers. Terry and Austin were awesome, highly recommend. No bathroom on their boat though. They don't cater to cruise passengers, which was nice. They set up our equipment and gave us royal treatment.

Roads: Very rough, huge potholes (no, massive), just take taxis.

Volcano Hike: We did this tour and it was really hard and exhausting. Take a lot of water, as they don't really give you any on the trip, and the Marriott tour person didn't mention this for us, so we didn't have enough water.

Outside restaurants: Reggae Beach Bar was good, Shipwreck just OK, Rituals Coffee was walkable for breakfast and was really good, Bangkok near Marriott was pretty good (Thai, Chinese, Indian). Buddy's Beach Bar was good.

Over all, the island didn't have enough to sustain our interests, poverty is everywhere, and EVERYBODY charges a 10% VAT tax on everything- so that increases the price on the trip substantially. VAT plus 12.5% service fee makes everything overpriced.

Sorry this is long, but one more major thing... NEVER NEVER NEVER TAKE LIAT AIRLINES. They are so unreliable, you are very very very likely to miss a connection. Antigua airport is a major pit, avoid if possible. It took us 4 days to get home because of a tropical storm, but Liat never kept passengers informed, they seem to contract out their employees, so nobody really works for Liat, they strung us along for days with scarce unrealistic updates, and they definitely don't care about their customers. They seem to be the airline mafia of the Caribbean, and they know it, so they don't try real hard. We watched other airlines move passengers/aircraft for 3 days, while Liat just lied and lied about real status updates.

Room Tip: 3rd floor villas have a huge outdoor space.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Timothy Beach Resort
#1 of 3 in Frigate Bay
4.0 of 5 stars 481 reviews
Four Seasons Resort Nevis, West Indies

Been to Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club? Share your experiences!