“Friendly Staff in a Lovely Setting” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Trip Advisor Award 2014
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Frigate Bay
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Friendly Staff in a Lovely Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights in January 2013. Comfortable and clean room with fantastic views of Caribean sea, and the staff were wonderful, all very friendly and helpful. If you want to get a real flavour of the islands then this hotel will be good for you. Its a great base for exploring we hired a car for 3 days and just chilled for the rest and got into the island pace. When I go back to St Kitts this is where I will be staying.

Room Tip: Best view from top floor rooms. View in photo is from room 26c.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Cambridge Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The TBR is a good value choice. Its on the right side of the island for swimming and snorkelling. Staff are all nice and helpful. All the rooms are big and airy, with everything you need. We loved the view, watching the ships go in and out, the monkeys, and the sunsets.
Be prepared to relax! The hotel is remote from the capital so bear this in mind as the only way into town is by taxi which is ECD30 each way. We did get a bit bored with the food and limited choices available. Most prices are similar to the uk for dining.
Do go to Nevis, which is even quieter

Room Tip: Book a sea view - the rooms at the back do not have a good outlook
AustinTexas area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

It was beautiful there. The 1 bedroom unit we had was very spacious but not very comfortable. The bed and pillows were fairly awful in fact, but the view was great and we enjoyed walking to the Marriott and restaurants in between. I would not choose this destination again simply because the bed and all of the chairs and sofa were just uncomfortable to me but the beach is amazing. The water is warm and calm, unlike the Marriott's beach area. The snorkeling to the left side around the rocky shore was pretty decent. Great alternative to the large flashy resort--if only they would update the beds. The service was spotty. Don't come here if you're used to be pampered. We found it difficult to get anyone to smile back at us.

surrey, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights during our two week stay in st kitts. We booked direct with the hotel who gave us a great deal ;-)
Just before our arrival date we had to book an extra night, being Christmas we were worried about availability. No need as they checked us into alternative rooms for the first night. We stayed in 28 for one night - a one bedroom suite - with sofabed in the lounge and a small kitchenette. Air con worked a treat, kitchen equipped as needed (basics including plates, cutlery etc which could mean you could stay self catering throughout). bed was comfy however pillow really hard, I swapped with the kids and all was well!!
For the remainder of the stay we had a two bedroom suite. Each room had seperate locking which was useful for a big family such as ours - 3 adults, 4 kids! Each room had a bathroom with bath and overhead shower.
They added an extra single to each bedroom, the lounge set up with a proper bed not a soaf bed. Decortaed with colourful carribean fabrics, clean and well looked after.
My balcony overlooked frigate bay, the golf course towards Basseterre and also the Marriott - amazing sunsets every night..
This resort is open, its not all gated in which is exactly what we love. nicely cared for gardens, helpful reception staff, large simple pool with plenty of chairs, tables, sunloungers and umbrellas again overlooking the beach. Restuarant and seperate bar were friendly, served decent food and drink. Sun loungers on the beach were included and plentiful. the beach bay is calm waters and shallow, perfect for kids and snorkelling too
The resort is right on the beach so perfect for other local bars and restuarants in Frigate bay but dont expect amazing night life or shops!!
Housekeeping were amazing especially considering the mess the kids made, every day the room looked good as new!
Air con worked well, I stuck to the fan and having the doors open with the nets to stop the bugs. My room was always cool
My only negative would be the noise from other frigate bay bars and restuarants till 1am. However they did alwasy stop at 1am so instead I just joined in the fun!
I cant recommend this hotel enough. Lovely staff especially the manager who really goes out of his way to assist, at all hours too! Price was great, facilities perfect for the Island.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The title says it all. My wife and I vacationed to this beautiful island with my three brothers, their wives, and my parents. We stayed for just over a week and got to see the island as a whole, which aesthetically, is breath-taking.
For us though, that is about as far as the "wow" went...Please excuse the ranting like nature of this review, but I feel that people need to know what they are getting into when going to this island, not just with visiting this hotel. But first, the review of the accommodations:
This hotel is great for two things: keeping you out of the rain, and being close to "the Strip" (a string is restaurants and bars shacked together on the beach). The staff, like most natives we encountered on the island, seemed bothered that we were there. The cleaning staff was great however, stocking fresh towels and making sure the linens were changed each day. It didn't matter much though, as our "king" bed was two twin beds on wheels held together with bungee cords (literally...no joke). As stated, the hotel is close to the strip, which is good when you need to grab a bite to eat or snag a taxi to venture somewhere else on the island.
The rant/review of the island as a whole:
This island nation's economy has only been tourism-based for about the last 7 years or so. Prior to that, the island thrived on the sugar-cane industry, but due to the world market price of sugar dropping, and the extensive labor costs of major sugar production, that industry was made not feasible on an island with such limited resources. So, I get that most native people aren't used to waiting on tourists as their main source of revenue. But, if this island doesn't get its act together quick, it is going to become another desolate rock in the string of the West Indies. Being from the midwest, we say "please" and "thank you" on instinct and often. These gestures of good manners were met with blank stares and mumbling. I felt at times that I was almost a bother to the people I was paying for a service. Below are a few brief descriptions of what I am talking about:
---One night we went to eat at a restaurant called Marshall's (mid-upscale...supposedly one of the nicest places to eat on the island). Long story short, the waitress took down my order incorrectly (I order Surf and Turf, she wrote Surf and Surf). We I brought the error to her attention as politely as possible, I was told that I had made the mistake, and she walked off without explanation. I was then forced to pay for the incorrect meal, and was not offered any substitution.
---We spent a whole day on Reggae Beach, drinking and eating. We racked up a $500 bar bill, and when I went to settle the tab, I was informed that I was being charged for beach chairs ($10/piece for 8 people). When I asked why I was being charged for something I had to wipe the previous night rain off of, set up myself, etc., after dropping a bunch of money on drinks and food, I was met with a half-[--] explantation of how the bar owns the chairs, mumbles, and what I could only deduce as insults in the island english dialect.

I could type all day with instances like this...but I think my point is fairly clear. Maybe I am being too judgmental, or maybe I have been spoiled from having previously traveled to places in Central America, where they have embraced the tourism industry as a huge source of income for their nation and understand that god service is key. The only "service" I saw was the extra 10-20% charge on every bill I got, which I would have refused to pay had it been optional, as not one person who "served" me earned it. I will never be going back to this island, and plan to warn everyone thinking of heading in that direction. There are better places with nicer people.

Quick Tips: If you are going, here are some things to get you by:
-Cab fair are negotiable. They will always up charge because they know you don't know any better. Be firm and work them down on price.
-Every price, including things in the grocery store, is negotiable.
-If you want a solid couple of places to eat, Wing & Tings (food shack) and Patsy's (on the Strip) are the places.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Recommend room 30...1 bedroom suite on the second floor. Great view of the Carribean and the Atlantic from the balcony. Also good spot to watch the sunset if you don't want to go to the hotel beach bar which has an even better view. Full kitchen, comfortable bed and TV that gets about 100 channels. Water from the tap is tastes good...so you can refill your water bottles for excursions. About a 15 minute walk to the Marriott and excellent restaurants along Zenway dr...if you want to venture out from the hotel restaurant. Calm water at the beach is good for a dip and snorkelling around the pier and rocks. Staff are friendly and will get you what ever you need. Vervet monkeys live in the hillside behind the resort. You will see troops of them in the morning and around 4pm....great pictures. Very restful. Also wifi is available in your room. It was perfect for us. Not the Marriott, but lots of space, upgraded bathroom with new tile and marble. Free parking. Can't go wrong.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the beach for fresh breezes and view of the sunset.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

we were very happy with our short stay here, it's the perfect location on frigate bay and our room was fine. the front desk, grounds, and restaurant staff were all super friendly and helpful. we had a small mountain view room, i had no complaints on it for what we paid. the beach bar was fun and we ate at the restaurant a few times. many places seem to operate depending on the cruise ships so plan ahead if they are not in town (the beach bar was closed on saturday night since the boats left friday). we wanted to book a snorkel trip but couldn't find anyone running a boat since the big ones were gone. a lot of the nearby restaurants were closed as well, we were a little surprised since we were here a few days before christmas. snorkeling is decent around the pier, we brought our own equipment but i'm pretty sure the front desk had some available to borrow.

we were in room 43, which was very close to the bay, pool, and restaurant but it was a little noisy at night. nothing terrible, but if you want to get to bed early you may want to request a room on the side opposite the bay.

frigate bay is a beautiful spot, my only complaint was the amount of flies near the pool and restaurant. luckily i packed bug spray, i'd recommend bringing some if you go to either st. kitt's or nevis in december - they are really annoying, especially at sunset.

Room Tip: stay on the side opposite the beach if you want quiet at night, the crowd from the bar can be a litt...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Timothy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!