“A stay in paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Frigate Bay
New York City, New York
“A stay in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed at Timothy Beach Nov. 21-25, after some initial confusion over the number beds in our room and a broken refrigerator, we were given Room 38-A. A beautful ground floor studio with a full kitchen that stepped out to a patio looking out to the gorgeous Frigate Bay Beach. The staff was on point and curtious. The location couldn't be beat! Ram's grocery just a 5 minute walk away and the best beach in St. Kitts on your doorstep. You can pay more for the Marriot but they have a beach on a rough ocean. Frigate Bay Beach has calm silky clean waters that is perfect for swimming and snorkling and relaxxing with a Rum Punch. My only complaint would be that the water pressure is a bit low and cold in the morning. So take your shower when you come back from the beach in the afternoon for better results. But do go!! Gorgeous green grounds... and tremendous value, can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There are a few studios available with full kitchens. Grab them!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Basseterre, St. Kitts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have stayed at this resort twice. The first time I had issues with the preparation of the room for my arrival, as I found that I had to clean the cupboards and drawers in the kitchenette, and wash dishes that had cracker crumbs left over from previous guests. I had to clean the vanity serface in the bathroom, but drew a line at the bath which was quite dirty. When I requested first thing in the morning that it be cleaned so that I could use it, I had to place a second call to the front desk at 3:30pm before someone actually arrived and cleaned up. The rest of my first stay was without issue and so I booked a second stay.
I am now at the start of this second stay.
This time the room was clean on check in on Sunday. The desk clerk was very pleasant and welcoming, and even arranged to have my 18th century wall hairdryer in the bathroom upgraded to a modern one.
However, the cable signal was weak and noisy and the TV picture appeared scrambled and so it was impossible to watch. I reported it immediately and was told that it would be addressed on Monday when the maintenance team arrived. On Monday evening nothing had changed, and the new desk clerk had no idea that there had been a report made, but promised that she would follow up and ensure that reports were made and addressed on Tuesday.
On Tuesday morning before I left for the day, I reminded the front desk clerk of my complaint and had to go state the problem again from scratch, just as I had to do the other times that I called. On Tuesday night on seeing that nothing had changed I again called the front desk. This clerk again had no clue what I was talking about, and had no idea about anything. I give up!!!!!!!

If all goes well it is a reasonably quiet decent place, but that is as long as you do not require anything to be rectified. There is no passing on of complaints and no-one takes responsibility for anything.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Cameron Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

While my wife and I have been to a couple of other Caribbean islands, we'd never been to St. Kitts. After some online research, she decided to book us at Timothy Beach Resort. Let me tell you, this is a wonderful little resort! The restaurant, aptly called "The Sunset," and the bar, called "The Dock," are right on the beach, facing west, with spectacular views of the sunsets over the Caribbean. The food was consistently excellent, and the service was above average. We had a couple of regular servers - Juliette and Doreen - who, like all the locals we engaged with, were always happy and friendly, and always made us feel at home. The rooms were clean and practical. We also had a great view from our front patio (see photos below). Overall, a terrific value for the money.

Room Tip: The resort is made up of several units, each with 4-8 rooms, I think. There were two upstairs and t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at Timothy Beach resort as part of a last minute, three island trip. We choose Timothy Beach because it was the only hotel actually on the beach in Frigate Bay. We normally stay at some fairly high-end properties, but knew going into this that this property was more of a ‘3-star’ property. We stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of the trip and one night on the way back. Overall it was a good experience. If possible I would have rated it 3 1/2 stars

We had arranged for the resort to send their driver to meet us at the airport. However, after waiting about 20 minutes, the cab starter at the airport told us to just take a taxi, as it didn’t appear the driver was showing. Since we booked on Friday for a Monday arrival, we figured it was probably a mix up and took the taxi. It is about 10 or 15 minutes to the property from the airport. As we were checking in, the hotel driver came to the front desk and said “Am I supposed to go pick up someone at the airport?” This was easily 40 minutes after the arrival of the plane ;).

We received the room we requested (Ocean view – upper floor). Ocean view is probably a little bit of a stretch, but you could see the ocean from the room (across the lawn and across the pond). The room was very clean with a large balcony that had a table and chairs as well as two chaise lounges. The décor in the room was a little dated, but the bathroom had recently been renovated.

When you check in you receive a coupon for free drinks at the bar, so of course we had to go check it out. Clovis at the bar was awesome. The beach bar is great for watching the sunset and chatting with the locals and other guests. We are rating this beach bar in the top three we have been to in our travels. After sunset, you get a nice breeze and can look out directly on the ocean. Drinks are reasonably priced and there is a two for one happy hour each day.
We ate at the hotel restaurant most mornings for breakfast and had dinner there as well several times. Service in the morning was hit or miss (one waitress was great and the other was rather slow). Service in the evening from Juliette was very good.

The beach is a bit small directly in front of the hotel – but it gets wider as you walk down the beach. The pool is very nice and well-kept. There is a good view from the pool over the beach. You can walk down the beach and go to any of the local beach bars for food and drinks. On the days the cruise ships come in, it is a little more crowded (but it wasn’t too bad – maybe because it was off season).

From the hotel, it is a pretty easy walk into an area with more restaurants and a small grocery store. We took a cab tour of the island – which lasted 5 hours (because of stops at the fort, the batik shop and other attractions). A cab tour is $80 for 3 hours and then $30 for each hour afterward. When you compare this to the cost of the ‘tourist train’ (which goes half way around the island and then you get back on a bus) that is $80 a person for 2 hours, it is a pretty good deal.

We stayed one final night on our way back home. This night they told us that they didn’t have an ocean view room but had ‘upgraded’ us to a studio. The studio had a full kitchen, but the bathroom was in serious need of work (we had to manually flush and fill the toilet). Also we had only a double bed (vs a queen). But we were only there for one night so it didn’t really make a difference. A studio would be nice (with a larger bed) if you were staying multiple nights and wanted to prepare some of your own meals.

I had seen another review mention the ants. They are rather aggressive little critters. We had them only on our balcony in the first room (not inside the room). I had washed out a few items one evening and hung them on the chair on the balcony to dry overnight. When I went out in the morning, one item had fallen on the ground and was swarmed with ants (attracted to the smell of the soap?). It was so bad I couldn’t even shake them off without getting them all over me (and they bite), so I ended up just throwing out the item. Otherwise we didn’t have any problems with them.

If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced location on the beach, this is the place.

Room Tip: Ocean view on upper floor offer the best view to the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed twice at Timothy Beach Resort-ditto with 2 of my siblings. Service is wonderful, locale perfect (right on the beach). They have a very nice beach bar "The Dock" that folks congregate for Happy Hour -excellent atmosphere. Restaurant is very nice too with very courteous staff. I'm familiar with other hotels in St. Kitts but I have to say, that if you're going on vacation, Timothy Beach is the place to stay. For sure they'll be seeing me again next year.

Dr. Douglas Boyd

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Castries, St. Lucia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Nice view of the sea and decent grounds. Restaurant food is quite good. Not luxurious, but clean. Furniture is a bit dated; wicker with bright floral prints. Bed was not very comfortable and a bit lumpy in parts. Old style, small television but there are cable channels. Full sized appliances (electric stove with oven, microwave, refrigerator) in the kitchenette which is quite roomy, make it ideal for long stays where you're going more for economy than luxury. However, the bathroom is very small. If you don't like cats sharing your balcony lounger, then don't take a ground floor room. There are lots of pretty and very friendly cats on property and one of them seemed to have taken ownership of my balcony. Staff at reception could be much friendlier and I suggest more training in this regard.

Room Tip: Don't take a ground floor room unless you want little creatures crawling inside under your door...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Let’s just start off by saying that St. Kitts during the off-season isn’t very tourist friendly; you stick out like a sore thumb here and the locals don’t always appreciate you in their hangouts. That and your dollars don’t go as far here as they might in neighboring islands.
With that said, this place was pretty good. It’s a two-star in with a good beach next to it.

Pros:
You are paying to be beachside here and to have a couple of restaurants. The beach is nice for swimming and snorkeling. The main restaurant is very, very good for breakfast and pretty good for dinner. The beach bar is nice, and the karaoke night is really entreating. Try the “Ting Wit a Sting.” You could always get a taxi here (rental cars are not cheap on St Kitts/Nevis). Compared to other hotels’ prices, this is an okay value and location. If you walk towards the Marriott, there are some good restaurants (I’d suggest the Indian restaurant on Sundays for the buffet.) The pool is kind of worn-out looking but nicely maintained.

Cons:
The beds are god-awful and my back ached horribly after night two. We requested a Queen-sized bed and it was two twins pushed together. The room, for lack of a better description, is two-star at best; thin walls, bad A/C, bad wifi, worn furnishings, bad bath/shower, and the aforementioned bad bed. The power went out one night, and there was no A/C. The A/C unit was poor and until we called twice about it, it barely worked. There was a bird nested in our balcony’s light that the maintenance guy shrugged at. Our balcony in the first building has a direct view (back and forth) to Mr. X’s Shiggity Shack, so not much privacy or volume control there. The restaurants beyond Mr. X’s Shiggity Shack seemed like they were for locals only.

Room Tip: Stay away from the first building, it's really noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Timothy Beach Resort? Share your experiences!