“Comfort cafe with added beautiful art” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Rothbury
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Description: Art Gallery with a cafe.
Description: Art Gallery with a cafe.
alnwick,uk
“Comfort cafe with added beautiful art”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

as my walking boots weren't dirty today unlike my earlier self imposed denial I went into the Congregational Teashop and Art Gallery,Rothbury High street-what a pleasure and with a delightful ambiance-not only is there comfortable couches + tables/chairs,comes,with an wood burning stove for the colder days-
also on show are some wonderful paintings & art forms from not only local folks but also countrywide artistes- paintings of derelict farmsteads in remote landscapes particularly took my eye-you can browse this art while partaking of tea/coffee and with soup/ bread also a great selection of pattiserie served by a interesting young fella called Guy,who I understand has a connection with the place-
well worth a visit more so when the weather turns colder and the fire is burning bright-enjoy

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“An unexpected find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I didn't expect to see this sort of Gallery in Rothbury. The former church is light and airy and had a fine selection of modern artist's work on display. The cafe fare looked excellent, but unfortunately I had eaten already.
Keep going west from the main shops to get to it - well worth a visit.

Visited September 2012
Near Newcastle
“Stimulation for mind, body and soul.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

My trips to Rothbury are generally done with two wheels beneath me and without Mrs Clegg, but we were looking for somewhere interesting for both mind and body and we certainly found it.

Perhaps it was the weather, perhaps my luck was in, but we managed to park easily and almost at the door, a good start! Before we entered we were treated to a stunning piece of art "The Coat" by Allan Scott, if I just had a few pounds more in my art fund, and a bigger house...

Entering the gallery area we were greeted with music that appealed to me, it's rare to hear blues anywhere and especially nice to hear any kind of music that isn't bland. The room is light and spacious and for such a small gallery well appointed with very different pieces of canvas, sculpture and ceramics. An interesting place to visit if you want visually stimulation art.

Having started the day early we opted for the "something a little larger" part of the menu, Mrs Clegg is a huge fan of smoked fish and was delighted to find it on the menu. As a fan of cheese I felt similarly to find a local cheese selection present. But both of us could have chosen other dishes that were imaginative and not the run of the mill menu items.

The coffee highlighted the difference between good coffee and the branded rubbish available in cities across the country. The food is freshly prepared after ordering and it shows: attention to detail and a well thought out plate, combining flavors and textures and colours, makes for an appealing meal, more than generous enough to satisfy the hungry.

I find as I get older that simple, good quality food appeals to my tastes, and I was most impressed by our hosts ability to provide just that.

Prices reflect the high quality but really aren't prohibitive.

The overall experience of this very enjoyable place is stimulation for the mind and soul and delightful sustenance for the body.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Northumberland
“A lovely spot to while away an hour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a quality gallery, beautifully displayed artwork in a light filled space. Interesting small gifts and jewellery add to the browsing opportunities. Some of the painting make you think of summer despite the weather! The food is creative and different to the usual offerings. The homemade almond slice is to die for....coffee is great too. Definitely the place I will head for when in Rothbury.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
wilmslow
“An original menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

It was so refreshing to find a cafe at lunchtime that had no toasties or baked potatoes! Fab little menu...gorgeous coffee, home made soup and bread and cakes! Lovely environment with many pieces of artwork to gaze at.

Visited July 2012