“perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Portsonachan
notts
“perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

we have just returned back from portsonachan hotel and prior to going we was concerned after reading comments on trip advisor we shouldn't have worried, rooms clean, staff friendly, views amazing, yes service was slow and could do with extra staff but didn't put us off as we had a wonderfull time anyway, go with an open mind its a 3* hotel with a 5* view people looking for 5* go to glen eagles and pay, for a chilled out value for money then stay here

1,038 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We booked this hotel through Groupon. We arrived and found we had been upgraded to an apartment rather than just a room, we were delighted as we had our dog with us and it gave us the extra space and a fridge for the wine etc. We were advised to book for dinner and did so, we were one of only two tables occupied that evening. The food was good so that was OK.

The next day was my birthday and my daughter had ordered and paid for a bottle of Champagne to be delivered to the room on the day of our arrival. It still had't arrived at 6pm on the second day. My partner phoned reception to find out what had happened but was given a load of excuses, the main one being it wasn't me and the person who took the order isn't here. The receptionist then put the phone down mid conversation. My partner then went to reception and was again given a lot of excuses but no apology or offer to rectify the situation. He then told her to cancel the order and refund our daughter. This could have spoiled our evening, what would have been a nice gesture would have been a complimentary glass of wine or something.

Dinner that evening was average, the Cullen Skink was really lovely but the sea bass was dry and minute. The pudding was good.

The location of this hotel is stupendous and when we arrived we were really impressed. What lets this hotel down is the attitude of the staff and the obvious lack of management. It seemed that the staff were left to their own devices and had not really been trained in any aspect of running a hotel. Their customer service was really bad. Some of the waiting staff were surly and disappeared after delivering the orders in the restaurant.

The apartment was really nice but some light bulbs didn't work and the heater in the bathroom didn't work, not good in the winter in the middle of the Highlands.

I worked in the hotel industry for years so know what I am talking about and if whoever owns this hotel spent some time training the staff and making sure the rooms are up to scratch then it would improve enormously. As an example, taking orders for breakfast, the waitress asks if you want tea, coffee and what colour toast you want, she then goes and brings the order and then asks what you want for the main course so you are left sitting with tea and toast getting cold before the main breakfast arrives. Just ask at the beginning what the main order is and then everything is speeded up and nothing gets cold.

I have read some of the other reviews saying that one shouldn't expect any better for the price, I strongly disagree, the levels of service and standards in the rooms should be good whatever one is paying. It would not take much to change the overall experience at this hotel as the basics are already in place.

I would go again as it is a lovely location and I would hope that the management would take on board the comments and so something about them.

The worst part of the experience was the receptionist on duty on Monday evening and Tuesday morning. I wouldn't employ her as a cleaner let alone the most important part of the hotel.

Room Tip: The apartments are very good and roomy.
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Can people just come back to reality. Did you check the reviews and details before you paid for the Groupon voucher or did you just expect a 5* bargain for pennies! We stayed for a Saturday and Sunday night for £99; paid a reasonable upgrade for a loch side apartment and a small charge for the dog. This included the usual breakfasts and one nights dinner. The apartment wasn't made up when we arrived, so we POLITELY brought this to the attention of the reception. A cleaner arrived within five minutes and we went and had a drink with the dog for an hour. Yes it was a bit noisy with a birthday party enjoying a drink but it was harmless fun. We went back to the apartment and found a nipping clean two storey apartment with a wet room, kitchen,lounge with TV and a balcony on the ground floor offering up one of the most stunning vistas I have seen. The upstairs offered one big space with a double bed, TV and the usual bathroom facilities with a bath big enough for two : )) It also had a floor to ceiling panoramic window. Gorgeous. The room was lovely and warm and very dog friendly. The food on both nights was very tasty, the first night (steak x 2) knocked our total cost down by £45.00 as it was free and we both thoroughly enjoyed it, the staff even wrapped up the left over steak for our dog. Now for the downside. The staff are thin on the ground and the waitress in the morning was wearing her coat but we certainly weren't cold and we just giggled about it. The breakfast was lovely and piping hot even if the sausage was a bit anaemic. The water - oh the water! We'd read the reviews so were prepared. It is very brown with sediment. We brought lots of bubbles filled up the bath and cracked open a bottle of cava whilst looking at the views (we hope someone across the loch didn't have a telescope : ))) There was plenty of hot water and we went back for another one on the second night too! The reception will supply you with bottled water for drinking on demand however I must admit I had ordinary tap water boiled for a cup of tea and it was absolutely fine. So what's the low down at the end of the day? Very cheap offer, fabulous room, lovely staff, great food and my goodness the setting is stunning. However, if you can't smile, keep calm and carry on this may not be the place for you. We had some lovely chats with like-minded people, with our dog close by and very happy and the staff were lovely with her. Would we go again? Of course we would! As long as you are easy going, understand that in these difficult times people are trying to make a living, there is not and never will be a plethora of staff but if you treat people with politeness and courtesy you will in my opinion receive the same back. (For info we have travelled all over the world and stayed in the best and the worst accommodation, this hotel doesn't fit into the first category but neither does it fall into the second). For value for money we had a fabulous time. Thank you to all the staff - don't let them knock you! Hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a two storey loch side apartment. The views - oh the views!
denny, scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We arrived quite late on the 9th November following a reasonably pleasant drive from central Scotland. We were greeted by a friendly female receptionist who gave us the key for the Dochart "lodge". We were told it was adjacent to the main hotel, when in reality it was across the road, up a flight of stairs, behind the converted barn then up another set of stairs. Let me assure you this wasn't easy in the pitch plack (lights not working) with a small child and luggage as the footpaths were covered in moss and wet leaves (difficult to keep clean I understand but slippery nevertheless).

The "lodge" itself was freezing, with none of the electric wall heaters swithched on - it didn't take long to heat up however. We didn't have the cot that we had requested (several times by telephone - the last time when we were travelling to the Hotel), nor any bed linen for the sofa bed or the promised breakfast hamper! It took several calls and visits to the reception to sort these issues out.

As stated by previous vistors the restaurant was cold, but the food was actually pretty good. The residents lounge was warmer with most of the guests enjoying a couple of drinks and chatting amongst themselves.

I was over charged at the bar, and the bar man (foreign lad with a shaved head) was quite unhelpful. A quick visit to reception resolved the issue.

Checkout on the Sunday morning was chaos - only one person at reception and most of the guests checking out at 10am for their journey home. We noticed that nearly everyone had to have their bill corrected for one reason or another, but to be fair the chap on that morning dealt with each one as quickly as he could.

Overall it wasn't a bad trip, the hotel has seen better days but it genuinely isn't as bad as some of the reviewers would have you believe.

Go with an open mind and manage your own expectations - you will enjoy yourself in one of the most beatiful places on the planet. We wouldn't return, but only because I thought that it was a little remote for our needs. I've also rated a 3 because I think a 2 would be too severe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I have just had a 2 day stay at the portsonachan hotel and lodge with another couple of friends. We booked through a groupon offer for £119 per couple for bed and breakfast for 2 nights with dinner included on one evening. I am not going to join the multitudes of knockers of this hotel and its manager. We travel 3-4 times a year to exotic locations and yes when we stay at a 5 star hotel we expect a superior level of service, but also have to pay a superior price for it. If you are looking for a hotel with all the bells and whistles then the Portsonachan is not for you. It is lacking in some areas but at the prices we paid it was good value for money. It is very dog friendly which was important to my friends and the staff whilst extremely busy, we're polite and friendly. We ate both nights at the hotel and again it was excellent value for money. I agree that our room was a bit tired decor wise and might have been a little cleaner, and of course the water issues are well documented. This hotel caters for a certain market and people on a budget and in that sense it does about enough. I am sure that the owners are aware of the hotels shortcomings in that staff numbers seem to be tight and that this causes pressure points particularly at breakfast when everyone wants to eat at basically the same time. Yes the heating could have been better but we decided to embrace the experience. It is a lovely part of the world. Would I go back? probably not. If I were on a tight budget, then definitely yes. It is true that the manager seems defensive in his responses on Trip Advisor, but who wouldn't be with the continual flak coming his way, and of course it may be that he is only an employee and not in a position to make the necessary improvements. Portsonachan is in a remote part of Scotland so you are not going to get the levels of comfort and service you would in a city centre hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was a great wee lodge with amazing views. Clean and friendly area. Lodge was clean and tidy when we arrived and we got a hamper as well however we did have to ask them for it as it wasn't in our room. All in all was great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bathgate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My boyfriend and i go many weekends away using groupon and this hotel was by far the worst experience weve had right from the word go! We bought our groupn in january and booked it on the 14th of february. on booking i asked if we could upgrade our groupn so that we could have a cabin with a jacuzzi. at the time we were told that it would be 60 more which she told me we pay on arrival. I then received an email in October saying that if we didnt phone with our groupon code our cabin would be cancelled in the next 48 hours. I phoned back within 2 mins of receiving the email and as it stands they wrote down the wrong code (1st mistake on their part). Afew days before we were due to go i phoned and asked if we needed to bring linen or towels. The receptionist on the phone then said it was only booked for 4 people when i infact had booked for 6 (2nd mistake) on the phonecall he said he would fix this and at this time i reminded him of the jacuzzi. On arrival we were given the spare key to our cabin and were told the other one was in the door. The first thing we did when we got in was look for the jacuzzi which was no where to be seen. We then phoned reception and got told that the 60 was infact for a loch side view and not a jacuzzi but someone would phone me back in 15 mins. the next thing one of the staff from the hotel came to the door and apologised and said the best thing he could do was move us the next day into a cabin with a jacuzzi. we agreed to handover our keys when we were getting our new cabin. when my boyfriend and i went down with the keys the new start receprionist told me to keep the main keys and handed over our spare saying that our room would be ready at 4pm. we then drove into oban for the remainder of the day and left there at 5pm to enjoy our jacuzzi. we then recieved a phonecall at 5.09 saying that there was someone waiting on our room and that it couldnt be cleaned because the spare key didnt work. we got back to the hotel at 5.45 to be told they had to give our cabin to people who turned up a day early. when we questioned the man why they came early and why they gave our room away his reply was that they mis-booked them. after arguing with the staff member the manager came out and started arguing with us saying there was nothing he could do.... no apology was made. after being made to feel it was our fault we took the key, we then turned it back around to the manager. we kept saying we wanted a jacuzzi which his reply was "its not a jacuzzi its a hot tub and what do you want me to do build you a hot tub!!" at this point in time i asked to speak to the manager and was shocked that he was it. we left disappointed as the weekend was for my 21st and after one night of disappointment we recieved another due to their errors. as i said to the manager that it was all about money and that is why he gave the cabin away. He has just lost so much custom and it was all to do with money and because we were young!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
gary s, General Manager at Portsonachan Hotel & Lodges on Loch Awe, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your inaccurate review poted about your stay. Most people who complain and feel compelled to put views here are usually out for some kind of gain. Let me put the true side of the story for all to see. The hotel emailed you several times since February for you to confirm your reservation, last email confirming that if we got no reply we would have to cancel, this prompted a reply from yourself to confirm your reservation for 4 in a 1 bedroom self catering apartment, with sofa bed and kitchenette sleeping up to 4. NOT a 3 bedroom lodge sleeping up to 8 with sauna and hot tub, (not jacuzzi). Your groupon voucher clearly states that you can pay upgrades into 2 or 3 bedroom lodges, (you did not pay this, attempt to pay this or even offer to pay this). If you are as seasoned a groupon traveller as you say, you will be fully aware that you read the contents of the deal before you make the purchase, something that you did not obviously do. All the other groupon guests staying with us at that time in the lodges with hot tubs, excersised maturity, paid their upgrade fee,s and got what they infact paid for. You also got what you paid for, which was a 1 bedroom unit, with sofa bed and kitchen.

Regards

Gary Smith

Travelers are raving about these Portsonachan hotels

Been to Portsonachan Hotel & Lodges on Loch Awe? Share your experiences!