“Excellent hotel with amazing views” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Santiago

You added Barcelo Santiago to your Saves list
Barcelo Santiago
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   La Hondura, 8, 38683 Puerto de Santiago, Tenerife, Spain   |
Special Offer
Up to 20% discount
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tredegar, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel with amazing views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just arrived home after a weeks stay here and we had an amazing time!!
When we checked in we were greeted with a glass of cava...we emailed the hotel beforehand and asked for a room on the 5th floor as we had been recommended and thats where our room was (522) Gorgeous room, very clean and modern...but best of all AMAZING VIEWS!! The beds are the most comfy I have slept on abroad, there is also extra pillows and sheets if needed. There was a fridge in the room hidden in a cupboard..that when opened released the hottest air, it kept the drinks cool though. Bathroom is very clean and clean towels were given everyday. Apart from finding a cockroach one night it was a lovely room.
The food was lovely and probably the best all inclusive food we've had, plenty of selection at breakfast...the pastry selection was amazing especially the doughnuts. The only downside was that the only juice you could get was orange. I thought the lunch selection was better than the supper selection and sometimes struggled to find something I really fancied. We had to eat outside of the hotel twice...the first night, we were told the restaurant is open for us late arrivals, we wasnt expecting a 3 course meal but when we were greeted with a plate of prawns, cold meat and lettuce, we quickly decided to go elsewhere, we stumbled across the road to restaurant buffalo steak, and intended to have a takeaway pizza, but as everyone else from the bus came in after us we decided to sit down and eat it there bearing in mind this was 11-12 o clock at night. The second time was due to us missing out on an evening meal on the last night so we ate at the outside inn which is behind the two restaurants at the corner of the street. We went on a excursion to loro parqe (reviewed seperately) the hotel does not provide a packed lunch but will open a section of the restaurant early where they put on a small selection of fruit, pastries and toast.
The pool bar was a great place to relax and have a drink after supper, watching the sunset. The waiters dont stop! They are making drinks all the time and do a great job, if they see your glass empty they are there in a second to get you another. Check the bar menu to see which drinks you can get on all inclusive as there are other people at the hotel half board or bed and breakfast, there is a small selection of cocktails you can get but the rest you have to pay.
The entertainment was the worst I have EVER seen in any hotel. Around the pool in the day they try to get you involved but most of them hardly spoke english. They play the same songs over and over, it gets really annoying after a few hours. The night time entertainment didnt start until after 9 (which I find very late to start the mini disco) this would go on for about 5 songs then the 'show' would start. We stayed briefly for two of them, the barcelo international dance show (awful!!) we watched about 10 mins and left. Then we stayed for the latino pool party on monday where they had a group of singers....who sang the exact same songs that they play 50 times a day anyway around the pool. All the entertainment was over with by half 10 then there was no music at all...everything went dead quiet. We spent everynight of our holiday at the british bar across the road 'the courtyard' which i have reviewed seperately.
The pools are refreshing, we spent most of our time in the infinity pool as there wasnt any kids in there. The views are incredible around the pool as there are glass panels all around and you can see for miles! The sun loungers were not a problem, but we got up at half 8 to reserve ours, the problem was that other people feel the need to push theirs right next to yours so that your touching...one woman actually put her bed next to mine to share my umbrella (not even a gap inbetween us!) We also had someone steal our umbrella whilst at breakfast. Inflatables are not allowed in the pool but I think this depended on which lifeguard was on duty. There is a set of steps down to the sea but there was so many rocks we turned straight around.
The staff are very helpful and can speak very good english, theres even a english guy at reception. On the last day we were offered a choice of the spa shower or a courtesy room to shower in....I would advise you to get to reception as early as you can on that day to book your time as they were filling up fast!
I would highly recommend this hotel and would return

Room Tip: ask for a room on the 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and i have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and we cant praise it enough. The staff were so friendly and couldnt do enough for us, our room was clean and the sea view was amazing. There were always sun beds free when we wanted one, and seemed to be enough available! The food was of good quality and with a vast range of things to choose from. The location was ideal with three beaches within walking distance, we visited them all. We also walked to the harbour at Los Giantes and went on a boat to see the whales and dolphins. The island has lovely views and lots of little rocky coves to swim in. Around the hotel there are enough shops and a few bars and restaurants, also if you go to the courtyard you can watch the football, which my husband did! We found our time here a pleasure and would highly recommend this hotel to all! we are looking to return next year.

Room Tip: sea view level 5
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just got back from a week at this hotel and can thoroughly recommend it. The hotel was excellent, the staff helpful, friendly and couldn't do enough. I found everything about this hotel above standard.

I know there are comments about sunbeds but we all create this problem with sunbeds, we are the people who get up and hog them all day without actually using them so feel its slightly unfair to put this down as a minus. I never had a problem getting three sunbeds for my family on any day, even at 2.00 in the afternoon in August and I can honestly say I have had far worse experiences with sunbeds being hogged in other hotels.

The food is excellent, as are the restaurant staff. The views from the dining room are stunning.
The view from our room took your breath away. The room itself was absolutely perfect for our needs. Sleep quality was excellent.

The location of the hotel was perfect too as it gave you the scope to walk to two other resorts within 15 minutes if you so wished which we did do on a couple of occasions.

The animation team are probably one of the best I have ever encountered, in particular Frankie, Freya and Megan who all took excellent care of us as a family. They are not overbearing as an animation team as a whole and are not pushy and make you feel like you have to do things. You find that their enthusiasm is so infectious you want to join in.

The reception staff are also excellent, nothing is too much for them. I did have a minor problem with the air con, it is not the best I have encountered but in particular Javier could not do enough to help me as best he could.

Would I go back, definitely. I had to drag my youngest away.

Room Tip: Odd numbers under 500
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I along with our 21 and 22 year old sons and our 21 year old's girlfriend spent 16 nights at the Barcelo Hotel Santiago - it was our 6th time in the last 7 years we have taken our holidays at this hotel.

First of all I have to mention the amazing staff at the hotel. In particular the Animacion Team - they are fantastic! Jose, Isael, Megan, Brenda, Freya and Frankie all made us very welcome and entertained us during our holiday. There were other members of the Animacion team that were also excellent but the ones I have mentioned we had the most contact with. As we have taken our holidays here before Jose and Isael remembered us from previous years and each year we have been they work so hard for long hours whilst being able to keep a smile on their face and chat to us guests - all the Animacion team work extremely hard and are very talented people. We had some really good fun with Jose, Isael, Megan and Frankie - top people!

In addition to the above the restaurant, bar and reception staff can not do enough to help you and to make your stay a really enjoyable experience. Daniel who worked on reception at night was exceptional at his job. The restaurant manager whose name escapes me was also extremely pleasant and welcoming. They are bother extremely customer focussed.

I could go on and on about the staff at this hotel but as the title of this review says at this hotel the staff are AMAZING!

Previous posts on here have slated the condition of the rooms but I can tell you in the 6 years we have stayed here we have had extremely clean and well maintained rooms - cleaned and maintained I hasten to add by excellent maids who are very polite also. The rooms are the best we have stayed in abroad.

The food is out of this world and has in fact improved over the years - steak, pork, salmon and chicken the choice on one night alone!

We will certainly be returning to this wonderful hotel and extending our experience of the Barcelo Hotel Santiago.

Thank you to all the staff at the Barcelo Hotel Santiago once again for a fantastic holiday.

Room Tip: 2nd floor and above
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay. The hotel was excellent with fantastic views. The rooms,eating areas and pools were very clean. The staff are all very helpful. If we asked for anything it was no problem and sorted at once.
We did not get involved in the activities but watched the excellent service they provided. They didn't push for you to participate which was good for our teenage son.
The area around the hotel is also kept to a high standard.
We did a couple of trips and would recommend the whales ad dolphin trip. We hired a car and did mount Teide which had spectacular landscape and very windy roads. We did not do the cable car as was too hot to go in with 40 people for 25 euros and 40 people!!! Also food not great and very expensive from the cafe.
Sian park had great rides but you do need to pay the 15 euros for the fast passes as some rides were a 90 minute wait.
We are missing the Barcelo Santiago already and would recommend to anyone wanting a holiday in comfortable surroundings and relaxation .

• Stayed August 2013
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We have just returned from 10 days at this hotel. As in previous reviews the views are absolutely stunning and most rooms have sea views (not all have views of Los Gigantes) luckily our room did it was also on the quiet side of the hotel. We were really pleased not to have to get up early to reserve sunbeds, yes this happened but there were plenty, some still free at 10 am most mornings and the hotel was full! The only exception was at the weekend when the hotel was "invaded"by Spanish weekenders who would move towels, take over the pools and generally
be very noisy, but they were gone by Sunday afternoon! So book days out at the weekends!
The food is typical hotel buffet fare, lots of pork and veal,but also plenty of fish and chicken. It would have been nice to have freshly cooked omelettes at breakfast.
All the staff are friendly, service at the pool bar can be slow but at least they serve you in queue order and ignore the people who just head straight to the bar.Only moan would be on all inclusive you can't eat in the pool bar between 1pm and 3pm as they want you to go into the restaurant, but just a minor thing. Entertainment was okay, the team work hard and try to do something for everybody.But once again typical stuff for this sort of resort. would we recommend? Yes! Would we return? Yes!

Room Tip: Rooms 02-60 have great views of Los Gigantes, the higher up you are the better. Rooms on 1st and 2nd...
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just returned from a week all inclusive at the Barcelo Santiago, booked through Thomsons.

The flight time was roughly four and a half hours. ( For those with mobility issues, there was a long walk to the departure gate both at Gatwick, then again on arrival at Tenerife. I didn't notice any wheelchairs for use at Tenerife,but then again I wasn't looking, so it might be worth pre booking one if you struggle to walk long distances). The luggage arrived quite quickly, and then the coach transfer took approximately 45 minutes, but unfortunately, going to the hotel, there was no air conditioning on the coach, so it was quite uncomfortable.

Once at the Barcelo, we were handed a glass of wine, which we declined as we don't drink especially, but I noticed at other times, other arrivals kids were given juice, which would've been welcome option.

Our rooms weren't ready, so our luggage went into a store room, and we were sent to lunch. After lunch a porter showed us to our rooms, and I felt obliged to tip ( I don't know whether it's expected or not, but I had been given a few spare euro coins from a friend, otherwise, the lowest denomination note I had was 10 euros!)

We had the superior rooms, which gave us sea views, a kettle, dressing gown and slippers as extra. From what I can make out we were in a 'typical' hotel block, with nicely decorated corridors with carpet etc. (The hotel appears to be split in half. You enter at ground level, then the restaurant and pools are on the first floor and there are 4 floors above that, that are 'traditional hotel', then there are floors below the reception area, which are built into the cliff. These have nice garden areas, but aren't what you expect from a 'hotel'. And, as far as I could make out, all rooms have sea views and terraces, so all we got really were the plush corridors to the room, and the oversize freebie slippers, which were only any good if you had feet like flippers! Oh and a temperamental kettle that kept switching off!) That said, the room was beautifully decorated and quite swanky looking with an opaque glass walled bathroom-which throws off interesting silhouettes when someone's in the shower at night! With regards to the showers, in the early evening, the water pressure is low, so it's quite hard getting shampoo out of your hair, but that improves as the night goes on. Also, I found that the water temperature fluctuated when you were in the shower, and became very hot, so I would advise SUPERVISING SMALL CHILDREN closely, else they may get
scolded. There were fridges in both mine and the kids rooms, but these were worse than useless, and the air con, was rubbish too -apparently management keep it that way. There was no socket by the mirror in the bedroom, so if you had straighteners to plug in you had to do that in the bathroom. However, with the humidity, my straighteners were abandoned by the second day! My only negative complaint about the room would be that when the rooms were allocated, the kids were several rooms down from us despite booking together. For us this wasn't an issue as my boys are 18 and 15, but you do worry with balconys and alcohol!! The balconies also are staggered, so if God forbid, you were to fall over, youd mostly land on the one below!! Also, not that you go away to watch TV, but it was extremely limited Channel wise with only 3 English speaking channels, and our picture quality was rubbish, although the boys' was fine.

There appeared to be one main restaurant for meals, and this was spotless. You are given a ticket on entering at lunch and dinner. You find a table, and the waiters bring you drinks and mark them on the ticket. There is the usual selection, and they have labeled all the dishes, and the food was always fresh and appetising. My only moan is that despite the selection, it does get a bit 'samey' after a while being all inclusive, but we've found that on all the all inclusive holidays. They do ask you not to wear shorts to the evening meal, other than smart ones, but this isn't enforced. There is an outside dining area, but you do have to queue to eat there, although we never waited very long. My only moan is that tea and coffee are only available in the main dining room in the morning, and the fizzy drinks and water at lunch and dinner- not that I wanted pop with breakfast, but I got an upset stomach (from too much sun) and wanted fizzy water one morning, but wasn't allowed it, although, I could've had champagne!! The fizzy drinks were all labelled brands, which you don't always get. At the beginning of the week in the restaurant there appeared to be few children ,but in the second half more came, and it got a bit like the food halls at Butlins with kids not looking where there going. Saying that, there didnt appear to be too many spills! We never ate at the poolside bar, but they did plain food like toasties. They had a strange rule, that while the main restaurant was open you had to pay for the food, which we'd not had at previous hotels.

People do 'bagsy' sun loungers, but we generally found some, and come 3 o'clock, people tend to start going indoors, so we'd have a siesta and go out later. The pools seemed quite warm, and there were a range, so it was suitable for children. There was a also a small park area on the promenade, and a soft play area by the pools.

We didn't join in the entertainment, but it did seem popular and well organised. Another thing we found was it was inclusive. Where we were last year, different nationalities had different entertainment, here, the instructions were in Spanish, French and English, so the nationalities played along together, which was really lovely. And on alternate nights, the entertainment team held functions round the pool, which had a party like atmosphere. We never went to the bar in the reception, but there was also entertainment on there.

There were two beach areas. One immediately as you left the hotel, (by the Hippo' supermarket). This was very rocky and pebbley, but further round, approx 5 minutes walk, there was a small harbour area, which had a black sandy beach better suited for small kids.

We didn't go on any of the excursions, but locally you can walk to shops and restaurants. However, the majority of the shops are up some quite steep hills, so people with poor mobility should be aware of that.

Although we had a fabulous stay, and the hotel was superb, apart from some minor niggles, the humidity was quite over powering. It averaged 72% most days, which affected my son's chest and caused his asthma to play up, not to mention the havoc it played with my curly hair!!

Room Tip: From what I can make out, all rooms have sea views and balconies, so if you go for a superior room y...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Santiago? Share your experiences!