“Been to better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Globales Aparthotel Tamaimo Tropical

You added Globales Aparthotel Tamaimo Tropical to your Saves list
Globales Aparthotel Tamaimo Tropical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle La Hondura S/N | Los Gigantes, 38683 Puerto de Santiago, Tenerife, Spain   |
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“Been to better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The Tamaimo tropical hotel is a large apartment complex, with 2 nice size swimming pools and a small pool for kids. The staff there are mostly polite and helpful, with one or two exceptions. There are daily activities for smaller children, but much less so for teenagers and older kids. The evening entertainment for adults was poor, in fact some of the singers were so bad they should've been comedians!Hygiene was a worry, as we regularly came across cockroaches in our apartment and around the complex. Pigeons were a pest around the pool and any food left unattended for a short while was very rapidly set upon by half a dozen or more of them. The poolside bins were not emptied until the evening, so by lunchtime most days they were overflowing and like a magnet for pigeons!Whilst the breakfast buffet offered a reasonable choice of cereals, fruit, pastries and a cooked breakfast, the lunch and evening buffets were largely unvaried. If you have fussy eaters in your party, this is not the place for you! The quality of the food was not particularly good, with meat & poultry often either under (pink) or over (tough & chewy) cooked. And unfortunately my daughter was struck down with some sort of food bug for the last 3 days of our stay. The air conditioning either didn't work or was never switched on in the dining room, so it got very hot & uncomfortable during meal times.The drinks available at the poolside bar only came in small plastic cups, and with a lump of ice thrown in first you were only getting half a cup of drink. This encouraged people to get 2 or 3 drinks at a time. Being all inclusive entitles you to only the 'house' drinks and NO cocktails. If you want a cocktail or a branded drink, such as Smirnoff vodka for example, you had to pay! The swimming pools are big and reasonably well maintained and the focus of most peoples enjoyment during the day. The daily water polo match tended to end up being England V Spain and got a bit 'sporty' on several occasions, certainly not an activity for the weak or fainthearted!With most of the holidaymakers being British or Spanish, it was a bit of a shock to discover the levels people would sink to to aquire a sunbed for the day! Having travelled fairly widely over the last 30 years or so, I've never seen anything like it before. People would be trying to claim sunbeds for the following day by 10 or 11pm that evening, this often caused arguments and resentment. They would often be out by the pool at midnight or later and on our last night there was an almighty row that went on until 2am, resulting in ALL the towels being removed and placed in reception. Some people even resorted to taking sunbeds to their apartment in the evening. With the apartments being situated around the pools, this night time battle often resulted in a disturbed nights sleep for a lot of people.The Tamaimo Tropical is not exclusively all inclusive! There are people staying there on half board or other deals, and at the weekends the locals were offered cut price deals to use the hotels facilities. We paid a lot of money to avoid the the sort of people you DON'T want to share your holiday with, only to find that there was plenty of them there on various cheaper deals. Unfortunately this meant that most evenings there were groups of teenagers and younger children wandering around the complex until the early hours shouting and screaming. Security was very slow to react and it wasn't unusual to see lots of bleary eyed holidaymakers by the pool each morning.Overall, we made the most of it and generally as a family had a good time, but this was our first time all inclusive and I feel that this hotel fell well short of what I was expecting, and I don't think we got anywhere near value for money. I certainly wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone I liked, and would never consider going back myself.« less

“Top Tip: There's a British Sports bar only 5 minutes walk from the hotel with a friendly atmosphere and reasonably priced drinks. They have several big screens and can show just about any premier league or european match live, ideal for the footy fans!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Myself and my partner have just returned from having a fantastic holiday at this hotel. I could not believe some of the reviews that I have re read on my return. The hotel was very busy but very clean, all the staff worked very hard to keep the areas clean and tidy, regardless of the thoughtless holiday makers who did not make this any easy task. The food was plentiful, hot and very nice.... Remember you get what you pay for, it's not a four star hotel, so don't expect four star cuisine!

The location is very hilly but beautiful area of the island, and not too commercialised. There are a number of pubs offering entertainment and nice restaurants nearby. The harbour area in Los Gigantes is worth a walk too, where I would recommend taking a boat trip to see whales and dolphins.

The hotel is very big therefore you should expect it too be busy, kids all seemed to get along and have a great time, three pools, lots of sun beds, entertainment for both adults and kids so you can take Ivor leave it.

All in all we had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and resort, would recommend that you are open minded and give it a chance and make up your own mind!!!!

Room Tip: Recommend the boat trip at the harbour only 15 euros each.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have recently returned from a two week stay at the Tamaimo Tropical.

Having worked as a travel manager for many years, I thought an advertised 3 star in the Canaries would be perfectly suffice for my husband, 7 month old daughter and I. I was wrong.

Please do NOT go to this hotel if you have a very young child.

We arrived after a ridiculously cramped Thomas Cook flight at about 5.30pm and checked in. I asked for an air-conditioned room as I knew that there was only about 30% a/c rooms. They said they didn't have any left, but what they could do was give us a ground floor one bedroom apartment (we had only booked a studio) I was happy with this and we checked into room 123.

After going for dinner and meeting up with friends we returned to our room at 1030pm and they still hadn't delivered my baby's cot. So I called reception. 'sorry. 5 minutes' they said. I called again an hour later - by this time my baby was asleep in her car seat sweating profusely. 'sorry. 5 more minutes' they said. I was really upset as we had now landed 6 hours before this!
Anyway after about three more phone calls and some tears shed on my part the travel cot was delivered at 0130am!! and Oh My Goodness what a state the travel cot was - it had holes, was ripped and had threads hanging that could have been a huge risk to a rolling baby.

The pool area is nice - we were always round by what they called the 'noisy' pool and our apartment was right by the pool and the Italian restaurant and the area where they play shuffleboard and kids games etc.

The sunbed situation though, is RIDICULOUS! I'm sure nearly everyone has mentioned this - people were reserving beds at midnight, getting up at 5 to bag the slightly better beds, and arguing over umbrellas. Some nights they were locked up and at 6am the world and his wife queued for their beds. It was ridiculous. One morning a lady got into a fight with the security guard and they took all the towels off all the beds so no one could find their towels the next morning!

We bought our own umbrella in the end for 8 euros at a local shop as we couldn't be without one with a little baby.

The snack grill bbq was fab for lunch - the guy always made us chicken breasts grilled and there was always hot dogs and burgers available. Be careful of the pigeons tho! they hang around eating the leftovers and land on the tables. Its gross.

The pigeons were nothing compared to the COCKROACHES though. I expected to see one or two as it is Tenerife after all but this was ridiculous. Inside one of the high chairs in the RESTAURANT was about 20 cockroaches all running around mad. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. We reported this to one of the waitresses - the next morning the highchair was still there crawling with roaches! We have videoed this and have a copy if anyone wants to see how close to the kitchen door this infestation was! so unacceptable!
There were also a few cockroaches around the pool area and bin area at night and a few in our apartment. unfortunately one crawled into my husband's swims shorts and gave him the shock of his life when he put them on the next morning!!!!

The hotel is officially a 2 star. Please bare this in mind. If you look on the websites and brochures always look at the OFFICIAL rating and not the tour operator's grading.

The food is poor and the buffet restaurant is not air conditioned - so it is unbearable to sit and eat the repetitive food. If you try and sit in the corner where there are fans you get moved on. (unless you are Spanish)
In the end we ate out - and spent way more than we wanted to.

El Pescador restaurant is just round the corner and the waiter, Orlando is hilarious - he keeps the punters amused - and the food is fantastic. Biggest lamb shank I've ever seen in my life!

Location wise - Puerto de Santiago is about 35 minute direct drive to the main resort of Las Americas. The bus is cheap but it takes AGES! Los Gigantes isn't far or Playa La Arena - but a nightmare with a buggy.

This hotel is also not suitable for wheelchairs or buggies - very few cramped lifts and often out of order. One guy we spoke to got stuck in the lift with his wife and daughter.

The animation team are a young couple and they are hardworking and sweet. The bar staff round the pool bar were nice too. I also had a very reasonable and fab massage from the older Bulgarian chap that has a mini 'massage area' by the pool.

Loro Parque and Siam Park are must sees. Siam is by far the best water park I have been to and I have done A LOT of travelling.

Bare in mind ground floor rooms will have more cockroaches, I would be surprised to see one on the 3rd or 4th floor.

If you can afford to pay the difference go to the hotel next door - Barceló Santiago or if not just go self catering - the food is NOT worth it and the drinks are served in the smallest plastic cups ever, which they fill with ice anyway and will only give you 2 so you feel like you are up getting a drink every 5 minutes.

One of the worst things was the water situation - the water machines ran out by about 10am - and even so they were full of tap water with added salt - DISGUSTING. nearly everyone was buying bottled water from the shop - which you shouldn't have to do in the heat in an all inclusive hotel! It was so frustrating! Children were drinking coca cola all day in the heat and I know they probably liked that - there was a serious lack of hydration!

The most distressing thing for me, was that the maid took my daughter's comforting bedsheet out of the cot - we bought it so it would smell of home and it matches her nursery. We tried and tried to chase this down and it was never returned and that was so disappointing. :(

Not one person we spoke to said they would go back to this hotel so that speaks millions.

Please do not go and if you have booked it see if you can pay to change hotel.

I will be staying at the GranMelia (sensatori) next time - its lush!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

We recently had 11 days here and overall it werent too bad,if we had a problem it was sorted quickly but on the last day we were catching a bus to the airport at 7 but had to be out of the room by 12,we were told we could have a room till 4 if we paid an extra 30euro (fair enough)...we were told to go to reception at 9 but when we arrived in reception at 8.50 ,we were told they were all gone so we had to sit around with bags all day...not good..also to rent a safe was very expensive as we're the fans....because we had no air con in the old part of the hotel..but I have been to worse...

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We returned back on Tue from a 2 week stay at the Tamaimo Tropical.I would definitely not go back to this hotel.as there were quite a few things that we were not happy about.The food was very poor apart from breakfast, not enough variety to choose from, frozen veg that had the guts boiled out of it and nearly the same choice every night, desserts WERE the SAME every night.The waitresses in the restaurant were the most miserable bunch of staff that i have ever encountered no attempt to be friendly at all and plates swiped from you when you had barley finished your meal.
It's a very noisy hotel so if you have young children i would not recommend it unless you are happy to keep them up until all hours of the night which by then the door slamming,the shouting, people running up and down outside your room talking and singing very loudly might have stopped usually around 3 or 3-30.
The sunbeds situation was a fiasco, people were waiting around the poolside from about 6-45 some mornings waiting to get there beds, a fight over the beds broke out the first week that we we there it was that bad.
On the Sunday of our second week we found the pool to be filthy, my son picked up from the bottom of the pool...... a lighter, a few pieces of banana, banana skin, hair grips, and some netting....... also early evening the poolside was very dirty with plastic cups strewn everywhere..
So the long and the short of it is, if you are looking for a nice relaxing holiday with good food,
and friendly staff,DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS HOTEL!!!!!!
On a more positive note the children's evening disco was great fun as Jennifer and Stephano
were FANTASTIC with the children!!!!

Barnsley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel for 7 nights the last week of the School Holidays two adults and two grandchildren aged 14 and 11 years old (All inclusive) with Thomas Cook Holidays Costing £2,640. Was it worth it NO NO NO.

When we arrived Friday 5.00 pm at the Airport I had to ask where to find our Coach transfer, no Thomas Cook rep around to be seen. When we found the coach the Thomas Cook rep was standing by the coach but when we tried to get on she told us it was full, imagine my anger at this disorganised transfer. We were left in the baking Sun while she tried to sort our seating on a coach…. We finally were loaded on the coach when a man from the Spanish terminal sorted it out SHE had loaded four passengers going to another destination in our seats. Lara Hall is her name so be aware this girl is useless as we found out latter into the Holiday.

We arrived at the Hotel check in and were given a room on the second floor which was disgusting and red hot NO Air conditioning. I bounced back to reception and asked for a proper room with Air Conditioning, we were told that only half of the Hotel rooms had Air Conditioning and we could HIRE a fan for 10 Euros and told the fans were hired out by a private contractor. I was not happy at this and was given another room on the third floor to look at. This was much better but still no Air Conditioning. I reported back to reception and said this was much better but told them I was not happy with the rooms lack of cooling and for what I had paid £2,640 it was not satisfactory. I was told to take it up with my Holiday supplier Thomas Cook.
The desk clerk told me that there would be a room with Air conditioning available on Monday and to report there 10.00 am at the desk. We eventually got a decent room with Air Conditioning.

Reception we noticed on many many occasions men sitting naked chested on sofas, and allowed I presume as the staff did nothing but let them sit there, not very hygienic as the cooling in the foyer wasn't up to much. Also men with flimsy vest with hairy armpits showing in the restaurant.

The restaurant Its impossible to eat your meal without perspiring as there is no Air Conditioning installed. The food is appalling CHIPS CHIPS CHIPS with every serving sorry excludes breakfast if you can call it that. The food was tasteless frozen or canned vegetables we had one carved meat on one day supposed to be Pork but never resembled pork it must have been boiled and looked awful with no taste at all we had Duck one day, well this is one of my favourites but all it was just Duck carcase no LEGS nothing only bones with a little meat you had to pick for. I did go back when I saw the man refilling but no duck legs to be found so I had not missed out on the first visit there were never going to be duck legs. It was hard to concoct a decent meal out of what was on offer on any day.

Sea food was a few mussels in half shells, just a few scattered on surface of pasta. Spaghetti bolognaise no sauce well very very little coating the top level.
Breakfast NO Porridge, Grapefruit segment poor account altogether.

Restaurant staff very poker faced not at all friendly never asked if you had finished with your plate just approached and snatched it from you. All in all the waiting staff and bar staff are ignorant bad mannered and miserable. We noticed a young girls plate snatched from her by a staff member before she had finished eating.

The Hotel does and don'ts, you are not allowed to reserve Sunbeds by placing a towel on them Well that’s a Joke as we were wakened at 6.30 am on our first morning with the noise of rowdy people gossiping round the pool area waiting for the staff to unchain the sun Beds which were not unlocked until 8.45 am. I watched from our balcony window one morning and saw a woman with five children, placing each one an equal distance from each other on the pool side and waited until the beds were finally unlocked then made a mad dash taking and placing a bed at the foot of each child this was their territory, What’s the world coming to.

Entertainment it’s all geared for children, as for adult entertainment forget it. Disco bar opens 8 00 pm kids and bingo open till midnight in a small entertainment area, we stayed once not our scene to many children asleep in arms.

To be fair the pools are excellent our Granddaughters loved them that’s only one redeeming feature as for the rest it’s a no go area they are much much better Hotels in Tenerife.

Room Tip: Dont bother its a waste of time
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

holiday was taken at the beginning of June for 2 weeks. Room allocated was very spacious, and to our surprise had a kitchenette, which was not used, due to being all inclusive. The hotel reception staff were very helpful if we needed to ask about bus services to go to places of interest, etcetera The dining room had a wide range of dishes to choose from, at all mealtimes, and had more selection than some holidays we have stayed in over the past years. The pool area was good, but a number of guests hogged the sunbeds for most of the day , putting towels on them even though they did not use them all day., even though their a notice on the wall stating not to reserve them. The entertainment of a night was varied, with outside acts performing (dancers, singers, ) The only slight downside, was the position the hotel was situated,in, there were fairly steep roads leading to any where, outside the complex, which less agile people would find a problem..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Globales Aparthotel Tamaimo Tropical? Share your experiences!