“My favourite destination” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Be Live Playa La Arena

You added Be Live Playa La Arena to your Saves list
Be Live Playa La Arena
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle Lajial 4 | Playa de la Arena, 38683 Puerto de Santiago, Tenerife, Spain   |
Co. Mayo
“My favourite destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011 via mobile

This was my third visit to the hotel. Yet again I was not disappointed. Gorgeous hotel, fabulous food, friendly staff and spacious, clean rooms. Cannot recommend enough. Rented a car and drove up El Teide to Loro Parc. Would recommend this drive but not for the faint hearted. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We (two adults, one five year old) stayed here for ten days from August 23rd 2011. We had a great experience. We were slightly concerned prior to going out at some of the reviews, but having spent ten days there, I think people are just being incredibly picky.

The check-in was quick and simple. We were offered a pool side room for an extra €5 per night - the signs are up in reception saying the option is available. We had emailed in advance to request a decent room (whatever that might have been) as we would possibly be out on the balcony most nights once our child was asleep. We were on the same floor as reception - street side. The way the hotel is laid out, you still have a sea view and in fact we were looking towards the cliffs at Los Gigantes. The rooms are large, clean and there were plenty of towels.

We arrived just in time for dinner on the first night, having never been on an all-inclusive holiday we were really apprehensive about being in the dining room every night, but the food was surprisingly good. Taking into account that the hotel is catering for about 1000 people, we never had to wait for a table and drinks were brought as you needed them. The choice was great. There were set things on every night, but there were also sections which changed every night. The quality of the meat and fish was excellent. You would want to be a really picky eater not to enjoy anything. Breakfast was fab as you could sit out in the sunshine - definitely try the freshly made omelettes - worth it for the show of the talented chef making six at once! Lunch could be snacks by the pool or formal lunch in the dining room - we didn't often avail as we were on the beach, but again although there are chips and burgers - it was day 9 before any one of us had chips with a meal.

The pool areas were fine, loungers next to the pool, which is perfect for the kids. The water slide was a fun distraction.

Overall the staff were really friendly - trying to speak in spanish might help those who found staff rude. They played with our son, even when really busy. The entertainment when we saw it was cheesy in the extreme, but our 5 year old loved it.

The hotel is immaculate - it is constantly being cleaned - I was hugely impressed by the standard.

Apart from the hotel - the beach across the road is fab - amazing waves, the most hard working life guard I have ever seen (keeping idiots out of the water when the waves are high and the current strong) and great black sand.

Overall a great holiday. Went whale watching from Los Gigantes - it's €3 in a taxi to the port from the hotel. We also went to the mountains, where we have friends, so it was lovely to see the other side of Tenerife.

I would recommend the hotel to any families who want a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stayed here for 10 days as it was our honeymoon.

Hotel

Found that when you first walk in you are just given the wow factor with all the space that you have in the main lobby and with the size of the reception. Did find that at some parts of the day, that they should really be using both computers if there is a large group of people checking in or out and that they should be making sure that they finish dealing with you first and not answering the phone and keeping you waiting. If you arrive early of have a late flight they have got a big strorage room where you are able to store you stuff untill you get your room or have to leave for your flight. You do have the option of having a late check out and a room to use if you have a very late flight back, but that is something that you need to book with the reception staff while you are there

Rooms

The room was a decent size, bed were ok to sleep on, thats if you could get to sleep due to the heat and rubbish air conditioning. We found that there was a knack to getting the patio door to shut. We had a superior room an was meant to have the following in there robes, slippers, fruit, water and wine. We got there and only had robes, spoke to our rep who got the rest sorted out for us. We had a sea view. There is a light on all of the patios, but we found that they were only on for a couple of hrs at night, round about 8:30-9 they went on, but that didnt happen every night and you where unable to have them on for longer as they must have been timed

The food was really good as they do a different theam every night for the buffet. I don't think we had the same theme twice in the 10 days that we were there. They had a Indean theme one night and I think that was the only night we were disapointed with as there was no food that you would have expected to be there, curry rice nanns poppadoms etc For lunch, you had the pool bar which did normal fast food pasta pizza burger etc, but if you fancied a change you could always go to the main reastruant. we ate out twice while we were there.

Pools

There are to decent sized pools that you can use which are at a nice warm tempature every day and also a water slide with its own pool ----the slide is not in use all the time during the day. There were no problems getting a sun bed at any point of the day even at 2 in the afternoon! The only problem that you might get is if you want one in the shade

Entertainment

I cant comment on the Kids due to not having any, but I do think that the evening entertainment could do with starting a little bit ealier than 9pm. For the 1st hr you have either a singer or a mini disco with certificates given out from the events that where done during the day and then at 10pm you have the main show which can last from anywhere from 30 mins (parrot show) up to a hr dance act or band. Some nights had to leave half way through due to being tired, other than that, it was good as they dont always have the same thing every night

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

Hallelujah for what seem broadly balanced and reasonable reviews from TjTorresd and John g and others !!

A bit of advice, I think what is really important when reading a review of a hotel is to pay particular attention to the reviews written by people in a similar position to yourself, I.E. if you are a couple going on holiday, read mainly the reviews written by couples. You may want to read the review of someone that has gone on holiday with their four kids because they will have some good tips, advice, experiences etc that you may want to take into consideration, however you may not be overly concerned that the kids pool is a little way from the main pool or that they don’t allow inflatables into the pool.

I suppose what I am trying to say is peoples personal circumstances are going to influence the way (and quite rightly) in which they view things. I also think the most sensible thing I have read is andwals comment that you get what you pay for.

On that subject we are two couples that stayed at this hotel from the 2nd September for 11 nights. I am quite an easy-going chap but won’t be taken advantage of and have got an in-built alarm that ‘goes off’ when I think someone is ‘having a laugh’.

For what it’s worth.........

I was a little apprehensive about going to this hotel after reading some of the reviews on this site; however it wasn’t too long onto into the holiday that the vast majority of those concerns were dispelled.

General impression of all staff.

I don’t know if there has been some ‘in house’ training since some of these reviews have been written but I found, as a general comment that most of the staff were good. Most responded to a smile and I think they appreciated the effort if you tried the odd word of Spanish. What some people on this site, and certainly when I was there, need to appreciate is the difference between ‘staff’ and ‘personal assistant’, they are there to ensure the hotel runs smoothly for all guests and not just ‘you’.
I did find, along with other people on the site that some of our Eastern-European cousins haven’t grasped the concept, not necessarily of queuing, but of waiting your turn, there were several occasions, all over the hotel where they would completely ignore other people waiting and either ‘barging in’ or going straight to the bar when there were quite obviously other people waiting. If it happened when there were no staff present I found a quick dig to the ribs or a scrapping down the heel in a ‘I’m sorry I didn’t see you there’ kind of way (only joking) normally worked. What I thought was brilliant was If the staff were aware or were made aware that someone had ‘pushed in’ they would totally ignore that person until they thought they should be served, no fuss, no questions, you WILL wait your turn.

Reception.

Our checking in was completed as quickly as possible. Some people on this site have commented that the reception staff we ‘miserable’ I found them to do their job quickly and effectively, no they didn’t walk around with an inane grin on their faces but I always found them friendly and approachable enough, I am looking for effective service, not a best friend. I also found that on the occasions that I had to use the reception during the holiday they offered the same effective service. I found all the public areas of the hotel spotless, there was always cleaners about making sure the standards were kept.

On the subject of the infamous cockroaches, I only ever saw three in the whole of the holiday and two of those were when we came back to the hotel in the middle of the night.

Rooms.

I found the rooms large, the beds were not the most comfortable in the world but my plan was to spend as little time in them as possible. They were cleaned every day to a high standard. We did have a small issue with the shower door which took us a few days to resolve but his was more to do with the speed at which the Spanish work as opposed to them ignoring me, my advice would be if you have any issues during the holiday let reception know every time you past it just so they know you haven’t forgotten about it.

Food.

I found the food in the main restaurant to be of a high standard and it was quite obvious (to a dedicated carnivore) that the meat used was of a very high standard. Some of the steaks, roast beef, turkey, pork etc, etc, that was served up would not have been bettered in any restaurant I have been to. I would also disagree with the comments that some people thought the food was a bit repetitive. Yes there was some dishes I seen more than once but the hotel is trying to keep a few hundred people of various nationalities ‘happy’ so all-in-all I think they did a good job.
I have also read comments that people had difficulty finding anything that either themselves or their children would or could eat. Well again it is only my opinion but the food selection was so varied that, if this was the case, some people should look at their own eating habits rather than what the hotel was offering.
I would have to say that while the selection of food at breakfast was good, more often than not the temperature of it was warm at best. Personally this was not a major problem because I was there to eat it not look at it, it is just an observation. We also found there was a lack of cups and glasses at breakfast so I found myself walking to a drinks ‘station’ for a cup, finding the drinks machine was empty so having to walking across the restaurant to another one to fill the cup ! This happened more often than not.
I have to say, in my opinion, the food at the pool bar was very basic (yes I know it was a snack bar) and again warm at best. There was always plenty to eat but maybe this was the problem. I think they could have cooked more food as required rather than cooking loads and letting it lie there. The beer pump, pop, water, slush machines (all self service) were much appreciated.

Pool and sun beds.

Let’s deal with the perennial problem with reserving sun beds. I realise we went slightly ‘out of season’ and I can appreciate it could be chaos in high season but he hotel has loads of sun beds. I used to get up at 8.00 am (not to get a sun bed but because that’s the time I generally get up), and we never had any problems choosing four sun beds in any location I wanted. Now I know some of you will be saying ‘why should I have to get up at 8.00 to get a sun bed’, well the simple answer is, you don’t have to, but the reverse of the coin is why, if I get up at a reasonable time should I have to wait for you to get up so I can choose my sun bed, You pay your money and you takes your choice. We found people coming down to the pool at gone 10 o’clock wandering why they couldn’t find a sun bed in the location they wanted, well the reason is you CHOSE to stay in bed an extra hour.
I do agree with some contributor to this site that you shouldn’t be allowed to reserve sun beds only for them to lie empty for half of the day, personally we never found this.

We found the pool areas to be neat and tidy and were cleaned every morning, there were plenty of rubbish bins around for you to put your rubbish in.

I must say we did have one ‘Benidorm’ moment were a Baby had an ‘accident’ in the pool but again this was dealt with quickly and effectively with the minimum amount of disruption.

A few general points.

There are a few bars just outside the hotel but were paid 4 Euros a drink. Los Gigantes is the nearest ‘main’ town. You can walk it in 20 minutes or a taxi will cost you 3.50 Euros. We found there was quite a large selection of bars where a round of four drinks produced ‘locally’ was 11 Euros, a bit of a difference.

Please note one of the bar owners told us that as general rule, taxis stop running for the general public at midnight and the number of taxis are drastically reduced, there isn’t normally a problem getting one but the taxis are more likely to respond to a call from a bar / hotel.

If you decide to go on a trip to see the whales / dolphins all of the trips depart from the marina at Gigantes. As you walk down the road to the marina there are loads of people trying to sell you the trips, we were offered a trip at 4 Euros per person cheaper than the hotel, and that’s before we started ‘looking around’, quite a saving.

Well that’s about it, if you have booked this hotel or you are thinking about booking it IN MY OPINION you have no worries, go, enjoy yourself. If you have any concerns, I’ll end this review as I started it, book a more expensive hotel, you get what you pay for...

Room Tip: Room upgrades are 5 Euros a night for a pool / sea veiw consider when checking in. If you want to...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
doncaster
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Been to the hotel six times now and still found the hotel very clean and food in the restaurant of good quality,although bit repetative. Food in the pool bar not upto much and always cold. Did find hotel very busy now its mostly all-inclusive.Room nice and kept clean if abit dated. Pool area lovely. Entertainment always been abit poor, a let down really. Yes the odd staff can be quite grumpy but most are quite nice if you don't treat them like slaves-especially Damien. Didn't care for all the queing up for a drink because some very rude people don't think they should queue. Liked the idea of no inflatables in the pool. We didn't have trouble getting a sunbed but more busy at the weekends. Will be returning.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a see view for just 5 euros a night. Well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

It was fantastic holiday for us.
Fantastic service, rooms cleaned daily, towels change daily.
Staff nice and friendly. Plenty to do 2 swimming pools with water always around 31 degrees, water slide grate fun for everyone, kids pool, aqua aerobics, rifle shooting, archery, kids clubs, disco in the evening. There is a gym but at the cost of 5 euro a day, spa and massage (wife loved it). No cues in the bars, even in the evening to get a drink didn’t take longer than a 1minute, plenty of sun beds, no need to get up at 6am, and hotel was full!
We have meet loads of nice people most of them with the kids, they all loved it.
Recommended!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Staines, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Hotel looks amazing. It is really nice and very clean inside and outside. Staff is very friendly, but at reception you have to queue for check-in and check-out. Only one person is available at a time. This means we were waiting 20 minutes to be served at reception.
Room was very spacious and comfortable. There is a TV and small fridge available. In bathroom there is a shower and bathtub.
We did take all inclusive but fridge is empty. No drinks in the room (or even water) were included in the room. Room has got a safe but you have to pay for it (2 Euros per day). Air-con was working fine.

POOL
Hotel has good not enough pools and sun beds by the pools. You have to wake up early to get one. After time there was fine so maybe we did experience very busy period. Water in pools was warm which was making swimming very pleasant :)

FOOD
There is a one main restaurant and one pool bar. Food is nice, but after three days you'll notice that every day they serve the same dishes, so it was quite boring. Food is in buffet only, and some times the couldn't cope with replenishing food so there were queues. Food was occasionally cold or 'warm'. During a day you can find some chips, burgers at pool bar.

Area is very nice and quiet. There are no any big bars, restaurants or clubs around so if you are looking for nice, quiet place this is for you.

I would recommend this hotel for families which want to spend all time by the pool. one week is enough in this hotel. Personally I would not go to this hotel as I do expect slightly more from all Inclusive - probably I will go with premium next time.

Room Tip: You can upgrade for sea view room on arrival 35 Euro per week
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Be Live Playa La Arena? Share your experiences!