“A peaceful retreat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crater Bay Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kabale
Crater Bay Cottages
You added Crater Bay Cottages to your Saves list
Lake Bunyonyi | P.O Box 242, Kabale, Uganda   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Kabale
Kigali, Rwanda
“A peaceful retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We have just returned from a lovely weekend spent relaxing by the lake (well with 2 boys) and can totally recommend the place to other travellers who are seeking a wonderful friendly place to stay.
To give some advice to future travellers, we ordered our meals, at the previous meal (lunch at breakfast time, supper ordered at lunch etc) and this was a wonderful ideas as the meals arrived within 10min of the time that we requested!

A wonderful stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

It is hard to beleave when you enter the village that lead to the resort but when you enter the gate of the crater bay cottages the peace and relaxation are immediately there.
The bar and reception look out over the gardens with beautiful flowering trees and the lake and you can sit and watch there for ours enjoying a cold drink.
The cottages are confortable and the showers are fine.
Ther is also a paviljon on the lake to sit and have a drink and there is a pier where you can swim in the Bilharzia- and hippo-free lake.
The service of Claire, who runs the place, and the guys working there is perfect.
If you reserve in advance the restaurant can arrange a marvellous fishplate with the larges whole fish I had ever on a plate.
If you go to Kabala, don't stay there but get over to the lake and to the Crater Bay Cottages

Room Tip: The newer self-contained cottages a little further away from the reception are the best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Delhi, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Crater Bay Cottages. It was a lovely oasis after gorilla trekking. The staff were friendly and very helpful. My husband needed medication that he forgot at home and they send someone into town who was able to get his medication and deliver it to us. The bed in the cabana was comfortable and we enjoyed a hot shower (which can be in short supply in some African villages)...just what we needed. The bed in the cabana was close to the wall so it was a little tight getting in and out of bed. That's the only complaint I have.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Egernsund, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed in crater bay for 3 nights, in my own tent... the place offers great value for the money, it is peaceful, and from all most everywhere on the property you have a view over the lake (wich also is a fabulous place for a swim) the staff is very welcoming, and their dog Tobi is always capable of finishing your dinner :)
the only reason why I have said good and not excellent is that for some people it is important with "proper" toilets and electric heated showers (warm showers are available, heated with a fire).. all the proper bathrooms facilities is available when you have a cottage, but not in tents.. but since the price of staying at crater bay is very reasonable, and so fabulous in all other matters, that I for my sake had no problems what so ever..
Crater Bay have been a fabulous place to stay, and if/when I go back, there is no doubt what so ever, that this will be the place where I stay!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

It’s my second time at Carter Bay Resort, and why did I go back ? Quite simply because in my opinion it’s the best place to stay by far in the lake Bunyonyi area. It’s the best place because firstly its great value, both in accommodation, food and services. You can rent a great modern cottage, really clean with comfy beds, electric showers!!, views of the majestic lake and with direct access to a boardwalk , swimming and bathing area.
This time I explored more of the many local islands and hired a boat from the staff at Crater Bay, this proved to be very affordable and we had great fun with our guide and safely sailed through the peaceful lakes. Later arriving back to Crater Bay Cottages the staff (and Manager Claire & Sisters) as usual cared about our day and experiences. The food is really good, served in a timely fashion and the menu has increased choices since I was last here, I believe there are further plans to improve facilities and to provide more , I know I’ll be back again. The last thing I will say is that the place is run by an African family and I trust them with my safety, health & belongings. They run a business of course but when you get to know them. you cannot come to Lake Bunyonyi without stopping by, to stay, to eat, to rent a boat, or even just to relax and visit caring friends.
Martin Beirne,
Dublin.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at crater bay cottages.

The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is very friendly and always available to help with anything from beer to laundry. And my laundry came back incredibly clean! There is hot water 24/7 and clean towels.

Food and bar was great. There is a huge selection of beer and soda. Nile, Club, Bell, Tusker, Guinness, and a variety of alcohol are all on stock. The menu consists of a wide range of food. The pizza is delicious as is everything else we tried.

The staff can arrange boat rips around the lake. My wife and I enjoyed a nice 2 hour trip through the lake and surrounding islands. We were also able to arrange transport all the way to Musanze in Rwanda for a great price.

The atmosphere is wonderful. The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful and the view is amazing. This was not a party lodge like some of the lodges on the lake. This is a nice, well kept and professionally run lodge. The young woman running crater bay cottages is very friendly. She is quick to respond to e-mails and made sure our stay was great. I cannot say enough great things about Claire. After a few short days I consider her a friend and wish her and her staff the best.

If your journey takes you to Uganda you need to consider the trip to lake Bunyonyi and a stay at crater bay cottages. You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kabale, null, Uganda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I arrived at Lake Bunyonyi in April and left around August. I've been to most of the lodgings on the lake and by far Craterbay Cottages is the best place.

Food: In terms of food, the prices here beat any other lodges. It is the cheapest of the lodges on the lake and the serving sizes are very generous. Try the Crayfish Masala with half rice and chips. You'll leave full, guaranteed.

Staff: Hands down the friendliest staff of the lodges. They greet you as a person and not another "muzungu". The manager is extremely friendly and is more than willing to advise you around the lake or help you when possible. Their dog Toby is also quite a pleasure to be around.

Accommodation: There's a wide range of accommodation here from camping to very very affordable singles and doubles to very nice cottages and bandas. Again, best prices on the lake.

Atmosphere: Craterbay is a quieter location compared to Overland camp, but a 3 minute walk away incase you want to get rowdy. The dining area sports a great view of the lake as do their cottages.

Renting a canoe here is extremely affordable and is a great way to see the lake. I highly recommend it.

Incase readers are curious, I've also stayed/dined at

Overland Camp
Kalebas
Birdsnest
Bushara Island
Amagara Island
Africa Experience

My vote is for Craterbay everytime.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Crater Bay Cottages? Share your experiences!