“Good choise for a traveller/student/volunteer” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kabale Back Packers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kabale
Kabale Back Packers
You added Kabale Back Packers to your Saves list
Muhumuza Road | Behind Crane Bank, Kabale 256 486, Uganda (Formerly Amagara Cafe & Guest House)   |
Ranked #7 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Kabale
Maputo, Maputo, Mozambique
“Good choise for a traveller/student/volunteer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

So I arrived in the middle of the night, tired and hungry, but I found it like a second home. The staff was very kind and polite, and I was so happy to have a hot shower. The rooms are clean and affordable also for a volunteer's budget. At first I planed to stay one night, but I liked the place to much, so I prolonged the visit. I met Martin, a great guy, and good company to hand out with (thank you so much for everything). If I would ever come back to Uganda, this is definitely a "must revisit" place. I almost forgot to mention Davies, I don't know if he works there, but the trip to lake Bunyonyi was excellent, thank you for that.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent an unscheduled night here 9 months ago when a storm came through preventing me from returning back to my volunteering home after a weekend trip with Engagi Safaris.

The hospitalilty was faultless and I was very grateful for bed, food and beer.l. Not so sure about the thrashing at pool. It is a well managed hostel in the centre of Kabale. I even got hot water which was such a treat. I know when I was staying there was a lot of noise from a neighbouring nightclub and I hope they have now won the battle with the Authorities to ensure that the sound proofing has improved!

I had 2 memorable trips with both Robert & Chris and feel very priveleged to have been to Uganda. I will return one day!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed here whilst volunteering and had a lovely experience. Rooms are affordable and clean. The power does go out occasionally (in Kabale not just this hostel, I should add) which can be a little frustrating but it is to be expected if you're traveling in this part of the country.

A special mention to Martin also. Found him to be a lovely, genuine guy who did everything he could to make my stay pleasurable. Thank you to him!

Will defo stay again

Nicholas

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

A simple yet comfortable place to stay in Kabale. I wouldn't hesitate to return next time I am in town.

The dorm rooms are good value for money. Mine had 4 beds (2 x bunks) each with a mosquito net. There is a common bathroom with toilet / shower in same room. Both dorm and bathroom are basic yet clean. There were few guests when I was there but this is not a big place, so I don't imagine the single common bathroom would cause too much inconvenience during busy periods.

There is both an indoor and outdoor (undercover) bar/restaurant area. I can't comment on the food but the beer prices are reasonable! The outdoor patio has a range of lounge chairs and a pool table. It was a nice space and friendly atmosphere.

The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. They will plug their tour guide and restaurant services but that is par for the course in Uganda and they were not pushy at all.

Only after I left for Bwindi did I realise that I had lost my hat. When I passed through Kabale again 3 days later I took a chance and dropped into the hostel to see if they had it. No sooner did I begin the question than the receptionist brought the hat out from under the desk. I had not mentioned that I was coming back after Bwindi so I find it impressive that they chose to put the hat aside. Excellent hospitality and honesty on their part (both the person who cleaned the room and the reception staff).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Kampala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My friends and I opted to stay here for two nights in the triple (very small for three people) because of the price. The garden lounge was a fun place to hang out and the grilled cheese sandwich very good! Dinner, however, took three hours to arrive.

Unfortunately, our stay there was marred by a rather unsettling situation. One of my friends chose to stay behind while we went out as she wasn't feeling well. We locked her into the room while she slept (the perils of these locks in Uganda--lock them in or lock us out?!) and when we returned someone had clearly entered the room. She did not open the door for anyone and does not remember anyone being there but there was food and drinks left behind. Possibly a staff member was trying to take care of her since she was clearly ill, but this is not a safe practice.

We checked out the next day and into a hotel down the road. Had this not happened, I would be giving this place four stars!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Essen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We only stayed a night there, but we met very nice and local people. the food was good, the location perfect, the rooms simple, but on the whole in order. For the price, definitely a good choice and a good stopover on your trip to lake bunyonyi or bwindi np.

Greets to Frederic!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kabale Back Packers? Share your experiences!