“Practically perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Byoona Amagara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kabale
Byoona Amagara
You added Byoona Amagara to your Saves list
Itambira Island | Lake Bunyonyi, Kabale, Uganda   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Kabale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ireland
“Practically perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is a getaway in the true sense of the word. We travelled 8 hours by bus, followed by a taxi and boat ride to get to Byoona Amagara, and it was worth the trip.

We stayed for 4 nights. We had peace and tranquility, and stunning scenery. We stayed in a deluxe geodome which was large, comfortable, and with breathtaking views. The hot shower with a similar view was an unexpected bonus.

The food is made to order, so there is a short wait if you don't order in advance, but having it freshly made more than made up for this. The crayfish avocado was my particular favourite.

Having thoroughly chilled out, we took a canoe trip around to some of the other islands on our last day with Justice. It was informative and fun, as well as having some adventure when we had to shelter from a sudden storm.

All in all, a stunning place to stay.

Room Tip: Deluxe geodomes are well worth the upgrade - we stayed in two different ones, and both were fabulous...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

The best place for some R&R at Lake Bunyonyi, beautiful place. Waking up with views on the lake out of your geodome, listening to all the birds, just magic! All the travellers have said enough about this place allready, we just want to advise to take the geodome called 'Ebimoori', which is set away from the main bar area and has by far the best views of the island.

Room Tip: choose Geodome Ebimoori
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

It is hard to add to the praises already sung for this resort! My adult daughter found the place...nice having kids like that! The food was amazing! My only regret is that (quite literally) I did not buy the t-shirt. I did buy a Christmas gift from the craft shop.

Room Tip: The difference in price between a dorm room, which would have to be shared, and a geo-dome for one...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

In an open geodome you can watch the stars and the birds even from your bed! Environmentally sensitive destination - all electricity is solar, plumbing based on compost, but you can get a hot shower with a view of the lake. Wonderful helpful friendly staff serve excellent meals, arrange days out. Meals even arrive at the time they give you - rare enough in East Africa. Much of the income goes to the local community. The birdlife is amazing (so don't leave anything edible within reach of the crows - plastic wrappers are no challenge to them.) Quiet, beautiful, usually filled with other interesting travellers for chat in the comfortable restaurant, which of course also has a great view of the lake and other islands.

Room Tip: The luxury geodome is worth the extra, with private shower & loo and stunning views. The basic...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
TA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at the deluxe geodome during Janurary, and enjoyed every minute! The view to the lake is amazing, the staff was really friendly and helpful. The idea of a self-contained ecological room is wonderful, and the managers donate much of the money back to the community, which is also great :)
Overall, great value for your money :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I booked a gorilla trekking excursion through Byoona Amagara which also included a stay in the resort (09/28/12-10/02/12). To address some of the previous reviews, yes, you have to pay a nominal fee for almost everything (electrical power to charge your accessories, hot water if you are not in the deluxe dome, local calls, internet access, etc) HOWEVER, remember that this little utopia is on an ISLAND located in a DEVELOPING NATION that is part of a CHARITY organization that is also ECO-CONSCIOUS! Also, meals do take some time to prepare, but this fact is clearly noted on the front page of the menu. Your meals are made to order and likely from scratch. But trust me, it's so worth the wait! My favorites were the goulash and egg sandwich with gouda!

To avoid typing all my praise again, I will include an email I sent to the owner after my trip.

Jason,

I wanted to write you a short note about my experience at Byoona Amagara, your wonderful resort.

From top to bottom, the entire experience was wonderful. I have to be honest, doing everything over the internet and dealing with the chaos, language barrier, and foreignness of another country, I was a bit skeptical that I would "get what I paid for", but I am so grateful to have been so wrong.

Jasper and Robert were excellent drivers, and since the drives were so long, I was very glad they were excellent company as well. Jasper was patient through out 8+ hour drive (including crazy traffic and being stopped by the police TWICE). Robert was surprisingly friendly at 5:30am and after his first question was "so, how's life?" I knew he was a good guy. He even stopped on the way so we could take pictures of the surreal view of the fog-draped valley. The gorilla trek was breath-taking - literally and figuratively. Seeing the gorillas and the organization of the trek was wonderful, but it was also the hardest physical challenge I have ever faced! But thankfully, once it was over, I had a private ride back to the resort which was HEAVENLY! Every member of the staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful...especially Clinton and Nicholas. I loved that Byoona Amagara attracts backpackers from all over the world because it gave me a chance to meet a lot of new people (and have fluent English conversations which hadn't happened in many weeks). The food was OUTSTANDING! (where do you get Gouda cheese from in Uganda?!) And of course, the domes....the beautiful, eco-friendly, architecturally creative domes! I loved the feel of the chill on my face while I was snuggled warmly under the covers in my bed. Waking up to the gorgeous view of the lake was something I will never forget. As you may recall, I was scheduled to leave on Sunday (which I was grateful for because I was told the traffic, especially from Kampala to Entebbe, could be horrible during the week), however, I opted to brave the traffic jams on Monday JUST so I could stay in your paradise an extra day. You are a visionary, Jason. From the tone and atmosphere of the resort (love the witty signs), to the food, to the domes, to the library and of course, the charity work that proceeds help fund....I was left in awe.

Thank you for allowing me to experience Byoona Amagara. My life has been made more whole by the experience!

With gratitude,
Jaden

PS. If you haven't guessed by the tone, I will be returning to the resort for many years to come!

Room Tip: If you have the option, go for the Deluxe Geodome for 10,000 USH more. You get private bath facilit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Antwerp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in a Deluxe Geodome at Byoona Amagara, and I wish it could have been longer! The location on Itambira island is stunning and there is plenty to do around the lake area. The menu at Byoona has so many great choices we never got bored or tired of the delicious food. I honestly thought it has one of the best kitchens in Uganda. We were there at a busy time when the place was completely full and we never had to wait long at all for our food. The owners have made the island a little oasis, walking paths, sports areas, swimming dock and lounge chairs, library, mini cinema and cheap canoe rentals to venture off to any of the other many islands. I really recommend the Deluxe Geo Dome, DO IT! It is so worth it, such a brilliant design and one of a kind experience. We had a lovely balcony that was frequently visited by beautiful birds, a smartly designed shower with hot water and lovely open air room with vistas on the lake. I admire the eco initiatives, solar power, and community projects funded by the proceeds from Byoona. The prices are very reasonable for food, drinks and any activities that you might want to do. One of our favorite places in Uganda.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Byoona Amagara? Share your experiences!