“A lifelong dream come true” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 attractions in Kabale
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, National Parks
Attraction Details
Dar es Salaam, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“A lifelong dream come true”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I feel so privileged to have had this experience! It really was a dream come true. I organised the trip myself, saving quite a bit as could not really afford to book with a company. I flew into Entebbe, stayed one night and then got a taxi to Kampala and a public bus to Kabale. From there I went to Bunyoni Overland Resort, which was wonderful. Ian from Bunyoni organised my permit and transport to Bwindi. It was a tough day and the walking was hot and tiring, but the overall experience was beyond my expectations. I then took the Post bus back to Kampala (which was far better than the bus I took there!). In Bwindi I was lucky to have a wonderful lady guide who was calm, positive and informative. It was an incredible experience and will remain close to my heart forever, as will the feeling of desperate helplessness that goes with the realisation that the beautiful family I visited with for an hour are one of 8 families surviving in a mere 330 square km area

Visited May 2013

London
4 attraction reviews
“Gorillas”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Was it worth it??

It was the toughest hike of my life. Do not underestimate this. By the time we found the gorillas ... They had done a runner! I was ready to thump one of them. The hour went very quickly as it took some time to settle the adrenalin after such an arduous walk across the vine strewn hilly rainforest. It then was hard to really put into context what you were seeing.

I am reasonable fit 40 year old and the walk was tough. The porters are a godsend and having spent a month in the region I know how I know how important the income is to them.

I'm glad I went gorilla tracking but I won't go again. It was not a lifetime achievement for me and my advice is to certainly consider the value of the money to you before spending it on this lifetime experience. For me it is better to consider it as a necessary contribution to the conservation of a magnificent natural forest and the gorillas themselves.

Visited August 2012
Tucson, Arizona
73 attraction reviews
“Gorillas in Ruhija”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I went gorilla tracking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park in early June with Cheetah Safaris Uganda Ltd. Do take a look at my review of the safari company we used.
The safari was a success and we had an amazing time, memorable, and a once in a lifetime experience seeing a family of 16 gorillas with 4 silverback gorillas.

There was a baby and a grandfather; previous alpha in the family. Our guides were very good; we literally found the gorillas after a 15 minute hike, making our day less stressful. The hike of course was strenuous, but very fulfilling.

If you plan a gorilla tracking adventure, I highly recommend using our guide and safari company because he gave us such personal attention and the cost of the safaris on full board was affordable. Our guide's name was Robert, from Cheetah Safaris Uganda Ltd. Contact phone: +256-772-413766

Visited June 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Very poor experience with Travelust”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went on a 3 day gorilla safari. 1 day driving from kampala to bwindi. Next day seeing the gorillas. Next day driving bac k to Kampala. Travelust was cheap enough - but I wished I paid more for a better quality experience or found someone else.

They showed up the morning of with no gas in the car. I also owed them the last half of the payment. I asked if I could pay in a couple hours because i had pulled out money the night before in Kampala and in the USA it was still considered the same day - thus my ATM limit would be reached. They said no and told me to call my bank. This took 30 mins. The car also arrived with no gas btw, and they said they needed my money to fill up. I'm all for being cautious, but this was a HUGE hassle for me to call my bank to increase my ATM limit. It took 30 minutes. Then we needed to get gas. Because it took so long to leave we got stuck in traffic leaving Kampala, adding 1.5 hours of traffic to an 10.5 hour drive was not fun.

Because we were running a bit late and we wanted to arrive before dark at 7pm, our driver sped through the small towns and windy roads at 40-60kmph. The roads were full of little kids walking from class, and we sped right by them, missing them by inches and blowing a 15-foot cloud of dust in their faces. I kept telling our driver to slow down. I felt so bad!!! I was so nervous we were going to hit someone I couldn't relax. I was so anxious and stressed out by the time we got there.

We then got to the Gorilla Resort. It became apparent that we weren't prepared. We received no instructions on what to bring from Travelust. I had a big laptop with me, which was a joke because we had one working lightbulb in the big tent we stayed in, and you couldnt exactly lock the tent to keep your valuables safe. We should have been told it was going to be cold too. We should have been told we needed a flashlight. We should have been told we needed to wear long pants and long socks and hiking boots for the hike in the morning.

We basically got told nothing and so were poorly prepared and had a miserable time.

I sent an email to James (the owner of Travelust) to give him feedback about the car with no gas and the lack of notes on what to bring. His first didn't respond. 11 days later I re-sent the email. His response was basically that we booked the trip a couple days before leaving so it's not his fault that nobody told us what to bring. I can deal with being unprepared, and the bad traffic and the terrible trip. But when it was so miserable that I took the time to write a long email to the owner to try to make sure this wouldn't happen to other travelers, and his response was basically to tell me that he didn't care and it was all my fault, that's when you get a bad review!

Visited May 2013
kampala
15 attraction reviews
“Uganda's outstanding natural beauty spots”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Bwindi is too thick and cold and one needs to visit the park with enough clothing especially at night to coop up with the coldness in the area

Visited December 2012