“Beautiful Penthouse serious health and safety issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aquarius Luxury Suites

You added Aquarius Luxury Suites to your Saves list
Aquarius Luxury Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Blaauwberg Road | Bloubergstrand, Bloubergstrand 7441, South Africa   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Bloubergstrand
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Penthouse serious health and safety issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at the Penthouse suite which has a fantastic view of Table Mountain. The facilities were great, cleaning staff, very efficient and reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Car parking facilities were ample and secure.
There were some serious safety flaws:
1. Access to the Penthouse suite was via the elevator .During our stay there was a power Cut, we had to use the fire escape to exit the building but found there was no emergency lighting, so pitch black. . Fortunately we had brought torches with us. Wheelie bins were being stored on stairwell landings. We felt that these were serious safety issue which needs addressing.
2. The cable to the television had exposed wires, which my husband nearly touched.
3. There was a patio was covered with pigeon excrement, I had to request that the area be cleaned twice during our stay.
4. The bed linen although washed had several stains.

The overall experience would have been excellent if not for these health and safety issues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aquarius00, General Manager at Aquarius Luxury Suites, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Allan206

Thank you for your review regarding your stay in the Penthouse at Aquarius.

I am glad you found the facilities, friendliness and awesome views to your satisfaction!

I do regret the fact that the elevators were out due to power cuts and that you had to climb many flights of stairs to get to your apartment! We have motion detection lights in the fire escapes which take a while to switch on once movement has been detected, hence the darkness you experienced. Subsequently we have replaced every 2nd light with energy saving bulbs so as to rectify this matter.

The wheelie bins unfortunately need to be stored on every floor for guests/residence and housekeeping to put their refuse. I have ordered that these be cleaned out on a more frequent basis so as to prevent this from becoming a hazard.

The pigeons are really a huge problem at the Penthouse as they love the height. The housekeeping staff should have reported the state of the balcony so that it could be cleaned. Please accept my apolgies that this was not done accodingly.

I hope you had a pleasant flight back to the UK and hope to welcome you back to Aquarius when next you visit Cape Town!

Shirley du Toit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at the apartments in early January, with a family of 6 in a 3 bedroom unit. Our view was of the road and beach, which although not as good as from the other side was still good. Food purchases are available from the nearby small shopping area, and there is a major shopping mall only 5 minutes drive away. Apartment was clean and well set out, with plenty of room. Only complaint was that one of the windows in the lounge/kitchen area howled whenever the wind blew strong, and unfortunately in cape town that was most of our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Apartment ok. Well equipped and clean. Staff were friendly however we were disappointed to be interrupted early evening by a " show-round" By the Duty Manager - who thought the room was unoccupied!? No knock on the door or anything. How nice to see 3 strangers in your room!!
Apologies given - however, it proved un nerving.

The night was so noisy- thudding music and no sleep.

This was not the location we had expected - not The peace of the sea. If you like discos and Bars this is for you!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aquarius00, General Manager at Aquarius Luxury Suites, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Janet H

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that the noise was such a disturbance that you did not stay the extra night you booked. The duty manager did offer you another room which was on the quieter side of the building which you did not accept.
Unfortunately all the 1 bedroom apartments are facing Blaauwberg Rd which can get noisy, especially when it is close to month end! My suggestion would be to book a room which faces Table Mountain. Most of the time, if we have availability, we offer guests a 2 bedroom apartment at the 1 bedroom rate on this side so that the noise will not disturb their sleep.

Cape town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at Aquarius at the beginning of January. My family was visiting from Johannesburg as well as America. My american family's request when booking accommodation for them was to be able to wake up to the view of the sea and if possible, Table Mountain. Aquarius ticked all the boxes...It's more affordable than Camps Bay/Clifton, spacious, no minimum stay as well as being wheelchair friendly. Upon visiting Aquarius a few times before we booked the accommodation, the staff was very friendly and very helpful - explaining what Aquarius has to offer and showing us the available rooms - this was great! We booked 3 rooms and couldn't wait to stay there! After an easy check in and being greeted with a smile and open arms, unloading of our bags and making our way to the rooms there was a horrible smell wafting through the common area of the building leading up to the rooms - later we realised it was coming from the stairwells which had overflowing rubbish bins on each floor that wouldn't be collected until a few days later. This could make future patrons happier by having a rubbish room for all the bins of the building. On our last night, the smell of herbal smoke filled the 9th floor. As the only lift takes longer than average to get to your floor we made use of the stairs everyday. For the 5 days we stayed there, a dirty piece of fruit lay of the stairs, in the same place the entire time. On a side note, a few facilities in the apartment needs attention. This is nothing major as it is bearable, but you wouldn't expect that upon first impression of the building. Overall we had a great time, the view is excellent, the location is good and my family was pleased and will be making their way to Cape Town more often. I did receive acknowledgement of my concerns for Aquarius which is great as customer service is key. Thank you Aquarius for your hospitality!

Room Tip: B Block has the sea and mountain views. Besides the premium suite Room 1004 probably has the best vi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Shannon

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our hospitality during your stay. It is most unfortunate that you had to experience the lack of cleanliness on the fire escapes where the bins are kept. My sincere apologies! I have made note of the fact that during peak season, when all the partments are booked, we will make provision for additional bins and have them cleared regularly.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I arrived on Saturday around 11am and could not check in early although requested. The rooms was great and very good value for money. We used the 3 bedroom, 6 sleeper which was large, well appointed and had excellent facilities. It would have been good to have aircons in the unit, and a larger main bedroom.

Room Tip: Choose rooms much higher than 3rd floor for good views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I booked this on the strength of the photos portraying the view toward Table Mountain and the first apartment I was put in on the 3rd floor had a view of the building in front!

However..I went back to reception and requested an apartment with a view as that is what I was paying for and was moved to the 7th floor..thanks guys!..(.I don't know what would have happened if it was busy..perhaps you can request it in the booking...or prior to?)...

The downsides first: perhaps not getting the all important view/ the balcony was not facing the sea as I thought/ some of the finish is worn/shoddy..but not so bad in reality/ not on the frontline as it appears..one street back..

the upside: the view (insist on it) / good location in Blouberg if that is your thing (really tableview)../nice deli in the building and good coffee place around the corner/ excellent space for groups to relax and cook and entertain.

The apartment was well equipped and spacious....and a great place to relax..especially I imagine if there are a few of you......be aware that the balcony on my apt was on the wrong side..so you had the view of the sea out of the bedroom windows..but that was fine..I just opened up all the blinds and there it was everytime I walked past...and the balcony railings looked less than secure so I never went out anyway!

Great service from front desk to the Manager and glad I went but next time will go a little more central..
I recommend this if this is the area you want to be in..and after all..that spectacular view!!

Room Tip: Before booking..get confirmation for an an apt with an unobstructed view of the sea..the higher the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I arrived at Aquarius Suites on a friday 30/11/2012 afternoon at 1 o'clock in the afternoon, and was told that I can't check in yet and have to come back at 2 o'clock as the rooms were not ready yet. Fair enough as it was mentioned before that the check- in is at 2 o'clock, I decided to take a walk in the beach as the room was being prepared. I went back at 2 o'clock to check- in. I was given room number 806 Block A. When I arrived in the room I was welcomed by this horrible smell of carpet, when i checked the bedroom I realized that the carpet was really in a bad state(extremely dirty and smelling). I called the house keeping supervisor who assisted with getting me into another room on the 4th floor as he also agreed that the carpet was not in a good state.
I was quite surprised that even though management knew about some rooms where the carpet is dirty and smelling they still booked guests into those rooms. This was very disappointing as looking at the Website I really didn't expect to be place in a sub-standard room. I expected to get quality service from this place but instead got a place that doesn't take pride providing guest with clean fully serviced rooms.

The house keeping supervisor did try to recover the service by giving us another room.
Very disappointed customer.

Room Tip: check the rooms before you check in make sure the carpet is clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Thembi D

Thank you for taking the time to review our apartments. I would like to apologize for the fact that the carpet was dirty when you checked in. It seems as if the previous guest checked out later than 10am (check-out time) and in the rush to get your room ready, the Housekeeping Supervisor did not check the room. I did have the opportunity to speak to you on the phone when I was made aware of the incident. I hope that this will not put you off from staying with us in the future!
Shirley du Toit

Been to Aquarius Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!