“Wouldn't choose to stay here” 2 of 5 stars

St Giles Heathrow - St Giles Classic Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hounslow Road, Feltham TW14 9AD, England   |
Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Feltham
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't choose to stay here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at this hotel on my yearly trip to Wimbledon and was very disappointed to say the least. Firstly may I point out that the Wimbledon break is excellent value for money and I am NOT expecting 5* treatment but compared to previous years I feel that this hotel let Newmarket travel down.
We had booked a single and a twin room. There was a tremendous draft coming from the window in the single room which made it very cold. I adjusted the air conditioning which rectified the problem to a certain extent. The room also smelled very musty and could have done with being "aired out".
We went down to the Il Grasso restaurant and the waitress who seated us at our table looked like she really didn't want to be there and it showed when she banged down a plate of bread rolls on the table. Maybe a career in hospitality may not be her best move! The 2 waiters though were pleasant and were very efficient. The food was a let down. My sister ordered the homemade steak pie which appeared to be a frozen one. The restaurant had no penne pasta which struck a few of the choices of the menu so my friend had the lasagne which looked less than appetising. I ordered the papardelle with meatballs. The pasta and tomato sauce were OK but the meatballs had just been fried and then reheated and added to the sauce. Definately not the best Italian meal I've eaten. The bar also had no lemonade.
Breakfast the follwoing morning was even worse. We were 'pointed' to a table which when we got to it had not even been cleaned. I then had to find someone to come and clean it. The food was substandard. The cereal was inedible and the fruit juice was a very cheap variety and had been watered down to within an inch of its life. It was also luke warm. I am so glad that I didn't upgrade to the cooked breakfast. The scrambled eggs were swimming in milk, the hash browns were burned and the sausages just looked disgusting. The croissants saved the day though. Again not good quality but just about edible enough to 'fill a hole' before we got to Windsor.
I really would not choose to use this hotel. There are many other hotels near Heathrow (many of which I have stayed in) which offer far better value for money and hospitality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Uxbridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband and I were returning from South Africa in May, we missed our connecting flight in London to Toronto, we were travelling with Egypt Air, The next flight we could get was 8.00 am the following morning, Egypt Air arranged for us to stay the night at the St Giles, when we arrived there (after having been travelling for 34 hours!) we were exhausted! the girl on the front desk told us she didn't know we were arriving and told us to wait a while, we were eventually given a room, what a room #109, obviously it was a room they kept for dire emergencies, the floor was laminate, all cracked, no TV, 2 single beds and no end tables or lamps!! not only that, next door was a conference room which was rented for the evening to kids and teenagers making a terrible noise, as we had to be up at 4.00 am, we insisted we got a room change, we were transferred to the 9th floor, this room was at least a proper bedroom! The reception said they would arrange transportation the following morning to take us to the airport, supposed to be there at 5.00am (we asked for 4.30am and were told it had to be on the hour) the car never came, when we called, they had no record of the booking, they did send a car then, it was a rush though to get checked in etc.
I would certainly NOT recommend this hotel, it has even put us off returning for a vacation to London

Room Tip: Nor room 109!!! ask for a high floor
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Totnes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was booked into this hotel on a one-night package and was disappointed. There was a dirty towel and dirty tea cup left in the room and the hotel staircase was filthy. The continental breakfast was OK, but the croissant wasn't fresh. Reception at first didn't recognise our reservation and without much prompting wouldn't have given us joining instructions for the next morning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Willaston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for a few nights on business as location was convenient and price was reasonable. Room was clean and comfortable and generally service was good. Restaurant run by Italian manager & team. He us very efficient and food was good although menu a little limited for me. Wifi charges a bit expensive and schedules a bit bizarre but worked ok. I did note that tables in the bar were sticky & could have benefited from the occasional wipe will a damp cloth! The main issue with this hotel though, is that it's main trade appears to consist of large coach parties of tourists (mainly Far Eastern when I was there) and flight crews. Which means reception and bar / restaurant are often very busy.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Bicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel has a fantastic location for a Heathrow hotel, a short walk from Feltham station and it's on a "proper" London bus route to the airport rather than the overpriced Heathrow Hoppa that most hotels make you use. The receptionist checking us in was friendly. This is where it ends.

There was a sign at reception stating that hotels are exempt from the ban on smoking in enclosed public places. When we got out of the lift the corridor had the unmistakable stench of engrained cigarette smoke. Housekeeping had clearly done their best to cover it up with large amounts of cheap air freshener, which just made the problem worse. Clearly the sign was there because many people had complained before and nothing was going to be done.

Things got even worse once we'd gone to bed. There was clearly a large group booked in on our floor, and they spent most of the night in the corridor smoking weed. I'd expect that at a cheap hostel in Amsterdam, not an airport hotel in London!! I know we should have complained about that, but I doubt the management would have cared, and we had an early flight so didn't want the hassle.

We got a cheap deal through Hotwire, but even at the low price it was terrible value as we could have booked the Ibis for £10 more. Never again, and I'll also avoid Hotwire if they feel this standard of hotel is acceptable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arrived late evening to find hordes of young guests running amok throughout the hotel. School groups apparently. It took a while to get booked in due to only two receptionists on duty. Eventually got allocated an eighth floor room. Had to share lift with several noisy and boisterous children on of whom bashed into my wife with his rucksack. No apology there until I spoke to him. In the room, very basic but acceptable. Still noisy with children running along the corridor outside our room making lots of noise. Decided to return to reception to ask for a room change. Alas no rooms available as children on all floors. Decided to go to the bar for a drink to calm down to find loads of children at the bar. (were they being served alcohol) Returned to our room to find just as much noise.

At this stage we decided that we had had enough. We returned to reception to ask if we could check out. Was then offered a change of room, we declined as we now wanted to leave. Reception manager blamed all the noise on school groups and suggested we speak to the teachers. We declined and told them that we just wanted to check out. was kept waiting about ten minutes whilst the receptionist spoke to other staff. Eventually refused to give us a refund stating that as we had booked through a third party (not true) we could not get a refund. I asked for the address of their head office to be kept waiting another 15 minutes. As we left, the police were arriving at the hotel. We were glad we did not stay there. Badly run hotel with less than helpful staff. we will never use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Travelodge and Premier Inn are better.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Worcester, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is , as other reviewers have commented, an older 70's era hotel. Its not really been modernised much.
However, i found the staff very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was ok given the price I was paying.
I stayed in a disabled room (that was just what I was allocated), which was enormous and the bathroom had clearly been recently refurbished. The room itself was quite old in style, but seemed clean enough for me.

I suspect the place has been caught in a low margin coach tour trap, and can't make enough money to refurbish and will therefore eventually disappear as the infrastructure crumbles.

the location is excellent, as you can walk into Feltham where there are a number of pubs and restaurants. I didn't eat in the restaurant at the St. Giles, apart from breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 302 is a disabled on, and its huge !
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to St Giles Heathrow - St Giles Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!