“All you'll ever need.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Costa Calero

Save Saved
You added Hotel Costa Calero to your Saves list
Hotel Costa Calero
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Urbanizacion Puerto Calero, 35570 Puerto Calero, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Puerto Calero
Longniddry, United Kingdom
“All you'll ever need.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I do read reviews to help me make an informed choice about where I will be spending time in the sun. I read with interest the reviews describing the positives and negatives surrounding the Costa Calero hotel in Lanzarote and decided that given the many positives highlighted, that these far outweighed any negatives that were mentioned and went ahead with the booking.

On arrival we were greeted with enthusiasm by the lovely reception staff and given the simple directions to our room which was effectively on the ground level (level 1 in the hotel) Our room number was 148 and had its own little piece of garden with a lovely patio area with relevant tables chairs and sunbeds. The room was quite spacious with a nice armchair which you don't get in some hotels. The bathroom was roomy also, but had a bath with overhead shower which I found was just a little difficult to climb into, but I am partially disabled, so any able bodied people reading this, it's not a problem for you, unless you are quite little: my wife found it quite a challenge to climb into the bath as she's only five foot tall! I did ask for a change before we left the UK but was informed that as I hadn't booked with the hotel direct, they really couldn't do anything for me. I thought this was a little harsh, but accepted this as policy.

The beds for me were a tad uncomfortable: far too hard and I slept between bed and armchair for the six days we were there. My wife however, found the beds quite acceptable. I must be fair to the hotel and add that I am a big man and my weight lying on a hard bed isn't ideal. So I can't blame the hotel fully.

Our room was only a short jaunt from the pool bar (we could see it from our garden area) and a minute or so from the main restaurant, so it was well placed for easy access. I thought it may have been noisy, but the sound of people enjoying themselves isn't an issue is it?! It wasn't nearly as noisy as I thought it may have been and I would gladly go back to the same room without any problem: it's a really nicely positioned place and gets the sun well into the afternoon. As for the comments regarding sea views, mountain views and suchlike, I, because of my mobility problems, much prefer the ground level with its' superb access to all amenities.
The room was slightly tired, but wonderfully clean, thanks primarily to Ana, housemaid supreme! A lovely, friendly lady from Peru who gave fabulous service to her charges and reinvented the concept of enterprise! Management please take note: this woman is a Godsend and should be tied to a contract: DO NOT let her go!!
Our TV wasn't a flat screen, but a pretty old model which didn't work properly (the picture was awful). However, a few hours after reporting the fault it was working perfectly: well done maintenance!

Since we are touching on the subject of staff, it has to be said that ALL of the staff with the exception of a few in the theatre area were quite superb. I particularly was impressed by Jose Carlos, Elvira and Reuben, but frankly they were all outstanding: nothing was ever too much trouble, SO hard working and their manners were quite impeccable. The odd one or two I mentioned who preferred to flirt with each other rather than give more attention to the patrons can be excused as with large staff numbers there are unfortunately, the obligatory one or two who slip through the net. If I'm honest, it was quite amusing watching them exhibit the social skills of a five year old: they would be best suited in a night club with younger clientele, but they did do their job, just not as well as their infinitely more dedicated colleagues.

The food was very good. Not excellent, but really good. There was no steaks or more expensive cuts of meat, but that would be really greedy to expect more than what was on offer. There was always plenty of choice, so if something wasn't to your taste you would most certainly be able to find something; such was the vast choice of food on show. There really WAS a huge choice and some of the food was really lovely. There was PLENTY of salad dishes and cold meats. A great selection of breads and rolls and the puddings, pastries, cakes and other sweets were up there with the best of them.... and lots of ice cream...really fabulously tasty ice cream....just sublime! Also loads of different juices and yoghurts and lovely fresh fruit.
The drinks were in the main branded: Southern Comfort, Jack Daniels and Tia Maria to name but a few. The Beer (Tropical) was brilliant! Great tasting and COOOOLD! The wines on offer were really first class as well, so well done for that!
Coffee was very good quality and the bottled water always freezing! At the pool bar there was always plenty of staff so waiting was minimal, AND they gave you peanuts too!

The pools looked inviting and large: one gripe for me is the same people who were down poolside at 8am and "claimed" their sunbed and space by leaving their towels on them. They duly disappeared at times throughout the day and one couple left towels on sunbeds for around 4 hours and then reappeared to once again claim a prime pool position: totally selfish and unnecessary. However, this exploitative, rude behaviour was exhibited by a very small minority and the vast majority of holiday makers were, quite frankly courteous and exemplary in their demeanour. Also before I forget, there could have been a few chairs by the pool: I have problems getting down onto a sunbed and would have liked to have sat on a chair; maybe management could look at this in future.

The complimentary SPA pass you receive on arrival is brilliant. USE IT ! It's really, really relaxing! We loved it and I think it was only about 6 euros to pay to get in the other day we went.

Some people made comments about the cats. We love cats and therefore didn't find them a problem. Just ignore the beasts and they'll ignore you. There isn't that many of them and those that are in evidence are obviously well nourished and very domesticated. Nice big pets!

The free buses were useful as you might have felt a little restricted unless you hired a car. There wasn't that many places to walk to: the little harbour/marina at the foot of a really steep hill was very pleasant, not too boisterous and with not a huge choice of amenities to make the arduous journey back UP the hill terribly attractive! As I mentioned previously I have some mobility issues and found this hill very challenging. NOT for the faint hearted!

So there we have it. As honest an account as I can muster. Some will agree with my comments, some won't. But hey, that's why we write and read reviews: so we can take what we want from them.
For value for money, this is hard to beat. It can't be beaten to be honest. I defy anyone who can tell me how to have a holiday with as much to eat and drink as you like for even TWICE what we paid! Plus the entertainment is pretty good too. The animation squad are really great and two of the acts were remarkably good too. "Guitar Legends" and the Mamas and Papas night were tops. The guitarist from Guitar Legends was the same guy who played with the Mamas and Papas act (with two excellent female singers). He's fabulous!
Would we go back? YES! No hesitation. But I WOULD hire a car next time as I can't sit by a poolside all day: I'd much rather see the island and be out and about.
It's remarkable what the Owners/Management/Staff of this very, very good 4 star hotel has achieved. They really ought to be commended. So well done to you all. A few little groans from myself were blown away by the marvellous effort from all concerned. Many Thanks and you are worth every penny....

Room Tip: The first floor rooms numbered from 141 to about 150 are well positioned for easy access to the eati...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review and for your trust.

We are very glad that your at Hotel Costa Calero was as enjoyable as you expected. It is very flattering for us to hear that you were fully satisfied with every aspect of your stay.

Thanks a lot, for praising our friendly staff who is very committed to their work with great commitment to customer satisfaction.

Our purpose is to provide the very best for our guests from check-in to checkout, and, as you noted, those efforts include an attention to detail that’s second to none.

Thank you for your gracious comments and we look forward to the chance of welcoming you back here at Hotel Costa Calero !

Kind regards from sunny Lanzarote !

1,811 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Polish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Having stayed in the hotel in early June this year I returned for a second stay last week and was even more impressed than the first time!

The standards of cleanliness , customer service, spa , activities , entertainment and food were excellent. I have read the occasional report which suggested that the choice of food could be better and that was a bit bland. Clearly those tabling such comments must have a less than imaginative palate and I wonder what they eat at home. The food is excellent as is the bar and restaurant service. Good wines by the bottle are available with each dinner within the all inclusive tariff.

Entertainment staff works very hard both during the day and the kids certainly are well catered for along with adults when it comes to daytime activities.

The hotel's location overlooking the Marina provides another focus for wlaking, eating out and shopping. We found a coastal path linking the hotel with Carmen circa 3 miles away which can be walked comfortably in an hour with the option to walk back, take the water taxi as we did , the free bus or a taxi to the door. Those with a cycling interest or that of scuba diving are also well catered for with hire and training facilities within the hotel.

Evening entertainment is of very good quality both by professional acts and that of the talented activities team. The Daddy is a talented leader who encourages much energy and humour across the acts.

Some reports have suggested that this is a hotel for senior guests only. This is far from the case with a mixed age group from children and teenagers through to those enjoying active retirement. I would suggest that the average must age must be 45.

If you want a relaxing holiday in almost guaranteed sunshine away from the hustle and bustle of larger resorts but within easy reach of the latter this hotel is perfect. The marina at Porta Calero is a gem with a degree of opulence while remaining an affordable place to eat out and drink in mixed company.

Well done again to all the staff and management for making our staff memorable for all the right reasons. We are already planning a least one further visit if not two in 2014.

Room Tip: Few room really have sea view but they are all well appointed. If you want more than a balcony some...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the experience at our hotel by the second time this year!

All your kind comments with regards to our customer service, rooms, food, beverages and about all of our staff are greatly appreciated.

Please be sure that we will share with our team that they have contributed to making your holiday special.

We are looking forward to offer you our hospitality once more time at Hotel Costa Calero.

Best Regards from sunny Lanzarote !
Larkhall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This is a lovely hotel with great staff. it was our second visit and it was good to see that none of their high standards of service and cleanliness had slipped
.It is situated just above the marina, which is a nice stroll, and a pleasant place to sit with a coffee or a beer. it is a slightly harder stroll back up to the hotel, but not daunting.
The food and drink at the hotel are first class and all the staff are excellent.
All rooms appear to be of the same high standard and are kept very clean, along with all the public areas, by the army of hard working maids.
The animation staff are very good, and are not too pushy, but will keep you entertained throughout the day if that is what you like, if not, you will be left in peace.
The shows can be a bit soso, but the piano bar is a nice place to sit and chill if there are any shows you don't fancy.(the show hall can get quite warm when busy)
There is a free bus into Puerto Del Carmen which is handy.
All in all, a great holiday.
I would say that the hotel is aimed more for families and slightly older couples

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and for writing this lovely opinion.

It is always a great motivation for the entire team to receive such positive compliments like yours and to hear we have been able satisfy the expectations of our guests.

We are looking forward to welcoming you here again!

Greetings from sunny Lanzarote !
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This was my fourth visit to a very special place for me. The hotel is kept immaculate as are the rooms. The staff are very friendly, fun and helpful. All inclusive is fantastic value and I would recommend this opposed to half board, The food is good quality as are the drinks which aren't just local brands like some hotels. Standards haven't slipped since my first visit, in fact they have improved. The surrounding area and marina are all well kept and only a walk away.
I would highly recommend this hotel. Excellent!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to know that you are one of our happy returning guests, it’s really amazing that our guests continue enjoying their stays like it was their first time here !!

We are always trying to improve our installations and quality of service more and more, so it make us glad see that effort being recognized by our guests !

Looking forward to your next visit here!

Warm greetings from all the staff of Costa Calero !
dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

As my heading says Costa Calero Hotel is simply the best.

Firstly, I would like to state what makes this hotel, apart from the excellent facilities, lovely pools and garden's, very good food. The staff are out of this world, I cannot Thank them enough for making the holiday a dream. How anybody can say different is beyond me. A special mention to the following I hope the hotel management recoginise how good they are. Susanna Gonzalez on reception, Violeta pool bar, Jose Carlos entertainment bar.

This been my fifth visit I have to say the entertainment team are the best the hotel have ever had Having travelled with my two young daughters I had many dealings with the girls, Soenita, Beatrix and Anna and in a nutshell all I can say is Wow, managment look after these girls, they are incredible!

We had room 34/35 on the ground level, interconnecting rooms, don't be put off by the initial view you will appreciate the location with easy access to all the main hotel facilities, IE pools,bars and restaurants.

As the General Manager of a Large Online travel Company, I have been to a lot of destinations and with My hand on my heart I can honestly say Hotel Costa Calero is one of the best hotels I have encountered!!

To all the staff once again Thank you for everything, keep up the hard work hope to see you all at Easter!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest,

In first place we would like to thank you for your friendly comment and for choosing Hotel Costa Calero for your stay.

Thank you very much for this review, especially coming from someone who are used to travel and have a professional perspective!

We are thrilled that you have enjoyed your holidays and the welcoming and hard work of our staff.

With their great dedication to hospitality and customer satisfaction they provide a personal and excellent service, we believe that’s one of the main aspects to ensure our guests enjoy a wonderful stay at our hotel.

It is entirely our pleasure to have had you here and we will be waiting for your next visit in Easter!

Kind regards from Hotel Costa Calero
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed as a party of 10, in an extended family group aged from 5yrs - 68yrs. It was our first time in Lanzarote and we were all really impressed. The transfer is 15 mins- fantastic when you have kids eager to jump in the pool. The hotel is big, and looks a bit bland from the outside, but once inside its clean and modern, but still with lots of character. Every member of staff was consistently professional and helpful. Restaurant and bar staff were friendly and fast, and the Animation team were truly hard working, enthusiastic and great with the 2 youngest members of our group - they loved the Kids Club!

The food exceeded our expectations, and was better than other AIs we've been on - even those with higher star values. It really was gorgeous, fresh, a great mix of healthy and indulgent, and none of us got bored of any of it, despite there only being one restaurant to eat in. We celebrated a birthday during our stay and the hotel staff organised cake, balloons and even sang with us!

Drinks choice is great too, and free ice cream for the kids is a bonus!

The pools are great ( there is a warmer one at this time of year) and the general layout is well thought through with areas of grass as well as pool side. There was no problem about sun beds and everyone was very friendly around the pool.

There are little things going on during the day e.g. Games, aqua, water polo etc, and there was a good mix of entertainment at night, that the whole group mostly enjoyed.

The rooms are spacious, modern and well kept, and thoroughly cleaned everyday. My one improvement would be that they provide tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

We also got a free Spa experience, which was fun too, and I went back for a massage. It was good, but not the best I've ever had, though my husband had a far better experience, so I suppose it's just luck of the draw on who you get.

Overall, a very relaxing holiday that oozes quality, not just quantity. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Suzann M, Director Comercial at Hotel Costa Calero, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel to stay in your first time at Lanzarote !

It makes us proud, that we had an important contribution for your good impression about the island.

Furthermore, we want you to know that we are really happy that you were satisfied with the hard work and sympathy of our staff and the quality of our services.

We really hope that you can visit us soon!

Best regards from al the staff of Hotel Costa Calero.
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My fiance and i stayed here from the 21st of October to the 31st. Looking at the hotel from outside, it seemed pretty plain but we were blown away when walking in. It is beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The reception staff were very welcoming and helpful. Check-in didn't take too long and we were given our room keys.
Before we went on holiday, i had emailed the hotel to request a high room to appreciate the sea view. We were not disappointed with room 554. The room was very nice with a big bathroom. There was a balcony so we were able to take in the lovely views. We were also welcomed with a bottle of champagne in our room....very nice touch. We didn't arrive at the hotel until after 10pm but there was still a cold meal for us, which was nice.
The hotel has 3 large pools and a spa. Our favorite pool was the main one by the bar and lunch restaurant. There were always plenty of sunbeds too. There were a variety of games and water sports during the day. I did not take part in them but enjoyed watching them. The staff weren't pushy which was good too. The pool bar served toasties and sandwiches in between meal times too. On to the spa! WOW! We were given one free pass and as it was so good we paid to go another twice. 6.50 euros, very reasonable. It is definitely worth a visit.

The food was of a high standard and had plenty of variety. Even the fussiest of eaters could be catered for here. Breakfast there were always a selection of cooked food, cereals, bread, yogurts, salad and fruit. Lunch was the same plenty of choice. Dinner was always good and the themed nights are great. We had a Mexican night and an Italian night, while staying here and they were both delicious. I was a little worried about the reviews of cats being there while you are trying to eat, but in all honesty there weren't many and they didn't bother you either, as long as you didn't feed them. Both restaurants were very nice and most staff were very nice. Some of them weren't quite sure how to smile!

The entertainment nights were very enjoyable. As a young couple in our twenties, most of the hotels guests were a lot older than us and there were lots of families, but the entertainment suited all ages. The entertainment staff are excellent and are always friendly. They work so hard and are all very talented. We enjoyed the show bar at night. There was also a piano bar which was nice after dinner.

I have to say the cleanliness of this hotel is to a very high standard. All areas are spotlessly clean and the domestic staff work very hard. They were all so friendly too.

I cannot fault this hotel in any way. Top marks for everything. Puerto Calero is very quiet and not much to do, but you wouldnt have to leave the hotel. Will definately go back.

Room Tip: Email hotel before going to request a higher room to take in the breath taking views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are pleased to know that you and your fiancé enjoyed your recent stay with us and also for taking a moment to present us with such a nice review!

We will continue working hard to offer you an excellent and relaxing stay each time you visit us.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you once again in a near future !

Kind regards from Hotel Costa Calero

Been to Hotel Costa Calero? Share your experiences!