“Beautiful hotel, great food, shame about awful customer service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hesperia Lanzarote Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hesperia Lanzarote Hotel to your Saves list
Hesperia Lanzarote Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Urb. Cortijo Viejo, C/Hesperia, 1, 35570 Puerto Calero, Lanzarote, Spain   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Puerto Calero
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, great food, shame about awful customer service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

When we arrived for a week's All Inclusive stay at this hotel we were delighted at the attractiveness of the hotel and pool areas. However this was quickly ruined by awful customer service. First of all we arrived at the restaurant to be told that men had to wear trousers. It was very hot and my boyfriend wanted to wear shorts and had in fact only taken shorts on holiday. At no point during booking were we informed of this policy. His options were to borrow some trousers from the hotel (which were all tiny) or go and buy some. Being our first night and unaware of the area, he chose to borrow some and had to sit in trousers that were uncomfortable and he couldn't do up. The worst thing about this situation was at no point was anyone apologetic or sympathetic to the situation. The following morning we went out to the pool areas, of which there are 3, only to discover no available sunloungers. Again, we asked staff to help us and again we were given no explanation or help! We spent the first day lying on the grass! We then discovered through word of mouth that you only get a sunlounger if you are out at 7am to reserve one! Not what you expect from a supposed 5 star hotel. We grew unfortunately to accept poor customer service throughout our stay at this hotel. If you are able to do this then it is a beautiful hotel and the food is amazing and varied each day.

1,708 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

So, everyone has very diverse views on this hotel. Me and my partner stayed at the Hesperia, Lanzarote at the beginning of July 2013. I have to say after reading the very vocal reviews on trip advisor, we were apprehensive.

Check in was smooth, with a glass of Cava on from reception. It is true that reception is extremely busy, but if you are pleasant to them they will try and do there best for you.

The rooms are amazing, we had a suite and it was huge. Very lovely indeed. We stayed all inclusive as my partner wanted to try it having never stayed all inclusive before. The food here is amazing, the quality is superb and have never seen such a wide variety and such quality ever before. Major thumbs up. We did a few nights, walk into the harbour (no need for a taxi... A very pleasant 5-10 minute walk) and the tapas and sangria at these restaurants are lovely.

Sundbeds are the biggest problem with this hotel (but isn't this the problem over the world). Absolutely crazy people, getting up at 07.30 in the morning to bag a subbed..... Stupidity.

It would seem that the cleaners get a bad press on here but actually they are so friendly and did a very good job.

Overall, if you have a holiday booked - don't be worried, go with an open mind. If you are planning a holiday to Lanzarote, perhaps look around at other hotels.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Arrived at Hesperia Hotel on 6th July to 16th July, first impressions were great, while waiting to be checked in reception came over with glasses of champagne. We paid an extra 200 euros each for a sea view room, but when we checked in they made a mistake and their wasn't any left so we were upgraded to a pent house room with sea view which was a very nice surprise, as I checked all the weather forecasts before going and found it was going to be 32+ degrees everyday I went out and packed nice shorts for evening but when going into the all inclusive restaurant was stopped by a small fat man and was asked to leave and put on long trousers. as I didn't have any he said I couldn't come in and eat, I needed to kick off in the restaurant to be allowed to eat some food even though I paid for all inclusive and no documents I had explained the rules on long pants, I wasn't the only person this happened to every time new arrivals came about 15 men every night would have the same argument, I also had 185 euros stolen from my room, reception dismissed my complaint and I had to get the police over, not a nice experience having two Spanish police men in my hotel room stroking there guns and doing nothing about it. now negatives are out of the way onto the positives, beautiful hotel, very large, food was of high standard with different food to eat every night, drinks for all inclusive were amazing you could have anything you wanted, weather its bottles of champagne for breakfast, lists of cocktails, coca cola, fizzy pops (all expensive glass bottles not the cheap panda pop stuff) the area is lovely Puerto Calero marina is a 2 min walk from hotel and is lined with shops, restaurants and bars. Overall they need to tweak a few things, eg) more sunbeds, long pants rule or if not then at least advertise it so I wouldn't of needed to walk to shops and spend an extra 200 euros on pants for the restaurant, but I would probably go again.....

Tandragee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Having booked and paid for a 5 star experience I was greatly disappointed on arrival. Horrendous queues at check in in the hotel, massively disorganised chaos is how I would describe the very rude and unfriendly reception ladies. Having been up from 2am to start our travel to lanzarote and after a 4 hour flight with with 2 kids under 3 all I wanted was our room. We waited in the queue at check in for a good hour before getting to the desk where we were not even so much greeted or given an apology for the wait. Everyone seemed to be a trainee and had to go back to verify everything with the 'manager' is some back deep realm of the hotel. I can only imagine he/she stayed there to avoid the wrath of the guests staying there. They tried to fob us off with a small room to sleep 2 people when clearly we were 4. Keeping my cool and dignity was stretched to the limits. After all of the check in debacle their limited English told us we had to just wait in reception another hour and a half or so, our room wasn't ready. With two screaming tired hungry children in my arms, I was at breaking point. I couldn't take this shambles anymore and just broke down and cried. I am not an emotional person and this wasn't a sympathy plea. The incredibly rude lady just said madam, we have 50 rooms checking out and 50 checking in today you have no choice. There was no sorry, nothing. My first impressions of this hotel were appalling. These reception ladies seemed to be a law onto themselves and how dare a guest trouble them for anything. I was not alone in my frustration, so many guests voiced their dealings with reception as poolside conversation. The only person who showed us any warmth, kindness and friendliness was probably the most junior person in the whole hotel, it was a young guy, a porter in the lobby called FARRELL. The management and staff could learn a lot from this young guy. He saw how we were being treated and we saw how horribly the reception mafia treated him, there was a common understanding between us. We learned more about the whole hotel, resort, recommended restaurants, where to get a taxi and what we be likely to pay, so much useful information from Farrell in ten minutes than we got from anyone else in our entire stay there. This young guy will run an amazing hotel of his own some day.

The reception saga over, our room was fine, certainly not 5 star, but nice enough. With two young kids I had requested several times to have a low floor, yet we were put on the 4 th floor with a balcony, a nightmare to watch. Left my husband and I on edge anytime we had the balcony door open. I couldn't face going back to reception to change rooms. In my long wait at check in I had heard many other guests trying to get their rooms changed with no joy so I thought my chances were slim to none.

The pool bar staff were incredibly slow, the kids had the ice lollies eaten in the queue by the time we got to pay for them.

Now onto the positives! Breakfast buffet was beautiful and staff in there were very good and kid friendly. The many pools are lovely, clean and never too crowded. The cleaning staff were very efficient and cleaned the room, changed the towels and sheets everyday. They were very friendly despite their limited English. A few funny incidents in trying to requests items through acting, but we got the brush and shovel in the end.

If you are eating out none of the restaurants in the hotel open before 7.30pm, which was too late for us eating with kids, this was the same in the marina restaurants, down in puerto calero, so we had little choice but to get a taxi into puerto del carmen every night to eat. This was quite inconvenient as taxis do not have car seats for infants and it just feels risky, you would never travel in uk without car seats so I was a little apprehensive. The restaurants in puerto del carmen were lovely.

Whilst the hotel itself was lovelyin parts, I wouldn't be returning for the above reasons.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Firstly all the staff here we found very friendly and helpful. we checked in swiftly were given a nice glass of cava our luggage was taken to our room which had a lovely sea view .We were on b+b so ate out at the harbour had a lovley meal there every night special mention to AZURE for nice atmosphere and friendly owner the brandys and tia marias very nice. Back to the hotel it might of been 5 star but not now 4 star at most aircon is rubbish the bath towels we had given I have thrown better away breakfast was ok not great And finaly on to the sunbeds the first morning we were there went to get a sunbed after breakfast about 9 oclock not one to be found so had to resort to getting up at stupid oclock to reserve a sunbed not nice when you are on holiday for a rest they did bring some more beds in later .So if you do go here be prepared to get up early to grab a sunbed.

Room Tip: Sea views are a must the higher the better
Lindley, null, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Everyone seems to have slightly different experiences at the hotel, but I bet you if they stay all inclusive, it wont be the same next year - it wont be better - it will be worse!!!.
I had been reading all the reviews before I went away...here is our experience....
No drink on arrival, the staff were very slow on reception, and it took 20 mins to check in. They also want your credit/debit card just in case you spend any money - what if you don't have one - again not something we have ever experienced before in an all inclusive. We were taken to our room, which was a very long walk - if you had a problem with walking, this would not have been the best place to stay. The porter was expecting a tip, and we didn't have any money as we were all inclusive!!. He also never told us there was a quick way to get to the pool from our room and it took us 4 days to find this out - thanks a lot. The reception did not explain much about the all inclusive package, and we noticed some people were given different letters with information on, so you do have to keep asking. Some staff were excellent and some staff had attitude. The Drago bar was never cleaned outside, paper cups and plates being blown by the wind. There was a wedding on most days - so an area with relaxing seating was never available to use. There was meant to be 3 restaurants - 1 was only open 2 days a week and the other was only available for weddings. The main restaurant was very nice and the food was very good for all inclusive. You had to queue quite a lot for drinks - but the selection is very good for an all inclusive, and I am sure this will change as we were getting bottled coke and Fanta, Bombay sapphire, Sambuca...the cocktails were not that good, they were pre mixed. Asked for ice cream at the drago bar and they said it was not part of all inclusive, what they could have told me was if I went to the other pool bar there was free ice cream - nothing like communication. Rooms were very nice, I would not jump in and upgrade to a seaview room have a look at what you have been allocated as out room had a seaview/view of the port and mountains, it was lovely. Rooms cleaned every day, the cleaners work really hard, towels a bit tired and they forgot to leave some one day, and the cleaner left a dirty cloth on the sink on top of our flannel - not nice. Bed was clean, but the valence was absolutely rotten it made me cringe to look at. Lots of hanging space - needed more hangers. The entertainment was very poor. A lovely place and location - not sure about the port, very expensive food and not very good quality we preferred the hotel food. if you were not all inclusive its very expensive, 4 euros for a coke, small bottle as well. Nice hotel, not a five star as we know it, but better than some all inclusive's we have been to for the price we paid, weather fab, food was above average, free drinks very good, even the wine was drinkable - just inconsistent service and as I say it will change if still all inclusive next year and would not want to take the risk and go back as I know it will change.
The spa was a nice retreat for the week, but don't agree with paying 50 euros per person if you are there a week or two weeks - that's not right

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just back from all inclusive holiday with my daughter. The hotel and location were stunning especially as the deal we got was so reasonable .I was worried about all inclusive but quality was great and service was usually good. Pool bar could have done with more staff but at end of holiday we had waiter service at our sunloungers. Room paid for was land view but we looked onto pool and could see the sea. Maybe we were just lucky but I would definately go back.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hesperia Lanzarote Hotel? Share your experiences!