“Way overpriced for the quality” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Aylos Bay Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akosombo
Aylos Bay Guest House
You added Aylos Bay Guest House to your Saves list
Box 37 Akosombo, Akosombo, Ghana   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Akosombo B&B and Inns
Accra, Ghana
“Way overpriced for the quality”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Short version: If the rooms were half the price, Aylos Bay would be a good place to spend a weekend in Akosombo and would the value would be in line with expectations. At the current price, I highly recommend taking a look at the other options in the area.

Long version: The GHC 60 room felt more like a kitchen with its broken tile floors and broken outlets. Make sure whoever you travel with is comfortable with you using the bathroom without a door separating you two as well. At this price, I also expect a hot water shower.

While the service in Ghana is notoriously slow, our server apparently was trying to redefine the word. It was like pulling teeth anytime we wanted anything. Our request for more coffee in the morning was met with a laugh and a, "No."

The food was good but less continental than the Afrikiko resort nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lake may provide a better experience.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Despite having travelled to Ghana many times, July 2011 was the first time I stayed at Aylos Bay.

It was recommended by my driver and he booked it on my behalf. I stayed 3 nights on my own, then met up with my sister for a further 2 nights. We were put in a room overlooking the river (which was about 10 Cedis a night more expensive than a garden room), but I'm so glad we decided to pay for it!

We had our own veranda with 2 beautifully carved wooden chairs and a table, and I spent hours there! So peaceful and relaxing - I sat there and watched the fishermen go past in the mornings, rain storms in the afternoon and the party boats go past in the evenings!

The staff were fantastic - they asked where you would like your meals served and bought them to you fairly quickly in Ghanaian terms! :)

Food was brilliant, can't fault it. Breakfast was immense - omlettes, toast, tea/coffe/milo, fresh fruit every morning, and the evening meals were just as good.

Slightly more expensive than some hotels you could find in the area, but I wasn't on a backpacking holiday - I'm too old for that now! It's a bit of luxury, whilst still knowing that you're in Africa. Rooms were clean and spacious, bathroom was Ghanaian standard and was absolutely fine.

Had a few of the usual visitors - a frog one morning, and some ants near the sink where I'd left some food (my fault entirely!), and a swarm of flying insects one night, but this is only to be expected in Africa!

If you're not on too tight a budget, this is definitely the place to stay. The Volta Dam is not too far away, and there are a couple of fairtrade banana plantations just down the road. You can see the Adomi Bridge from the hotel. The Cedi Bead Factory is definitely worth a visit too, and grows year by year! The nearest village is Atimpoku.

Room Tip: Go for a waterside room if you can afford it!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, so I can't comment on it. We only stopped for lunch and it was the best food we had in Ghana. We ordered grilled tilapia and we got large fresh fish, grilled to perfection. The only issue I had is that they serve the whole fish, bones, skin and head include, but that is how fish is served in Ghana. I didn't know how to eat it, but luckily my mom knew how to debone it and did all the work for me. It was delicious! I just had fries with it, which were good, but my mom had the jollof rice which she said was also really good. The only draw back is that it took about an hour to get our food because they had to start a fire and wait for the charcoal to be ready. However, it was worth the wait.

We ate outside in the garden area on the lake which was a nice, quiet environment. We got pretty good service and the owner Johnson was especially attentive to us.

I would definitely recommend having a meal here if you are in the Volta lake region!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Utrecht
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Although we did not sleep at the Guesthouse, we did have dinner twice at Aloys Bay.
The kitchen was well enough, the staff was very friendly and we had no stomageproblems afterwards.
The view is excellent and having dinner at the terrace located on poles in the river was an event.

We went on to go to Sajuna Beach resort for some action. We can imagine that visitors would love an option to stay at Aloys Bay, then get on the Sajuna Beach boat, have several hours of fun and relaxing there and return by boat to the guesthouse again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Vriginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Poorly maintained and poorly managed including non-functioning and non-existent lights and TV and broken windows which rendered the AC less effective. Only one sheet on the bed which would have only slightly offended my western sensibilities but since the blanket was dirty, it was hard to live with. There was only one bed in the room the sons were to share. We ended up paying an extra 30 Cedi for a mattress on the floor which we resented given how badly equipped the room was. When we protested at checkout that we should not be charged the 30 Cedi because the room was no longer “deluxe” with the missing lamp, TV and part of a window, the clerk was insistent that we pay. We asked to speak to the manager, but were told that he/she was unavailable. We think that their bad attitude combined with poor maintenance should lead you to arrange for a different hotel for your future patrons, even if they have to pay a little more.

Also served the poorest meal we ate in Ghana

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Fantastic value for a weekend away. Clean, well-looked after place and groubut nds with ability to swim in river. Be aware that not every room has a river view - only 3 do, the rest are in a self-contained garden block, nice enough just not looking over the river. The food was decent with breakfast included in the price - nice - and was a full breakfast. We would recommend the hotel. The onyl down side was arriving early and waiting for slow service until we could have access to our room..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
merosg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Aylos Bay has some very nice rooms overlooking the Volta River. It is a very peaceful place, and they rent out canoes to paddle on the river(can see lots of birds) and they also have a rope swing to swim into the clear river(very refreshing!) The rooms were clean, the waterfront ones provided a nice view and porch overlooking the river, and was rather spacious. It was a very nice room by Ghana standards, and the restaurant serves good food.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Aylos Bay Guest House? Share your experiences!