Location - 20 to 30 mins from airport to the main casino in Belize City to their dock in back, 20 minute boat ride out to the island.
Accomodations - There are 2 main sets of cabana's, those in the "back" facing Belize city that are over the water and those that are beach side (there are 5 or 6 of each). The cabana's are all nearly the same....thatch roof, wood floors, queen bed, air conditioning. Beware, though, if you need it "cool" it may be a challenge. There is nearly no breeze on the back side cabanas over the water (and it is a bit of stinky/stale air) and because the cabanas have thatch roof's, the little air conditioners just can't cool the room that well. on the beach side you have to keep the air running and open all the windows to get "moderately" cool enough to sleep. They provide mosquito netting as well. They are adding wood to the ceilings on the cabanas in back to keep the cool air in, we didn't stay back there but those were obviously warmer.
The main house - Bar, sitting area, dining area. Wood floors, drinks (paying 6 or 8 bucks per mixed drink) Very clean, but again the back side (dinner area) is a bit warm as it doesn't get the breeze.
Grounds - VERY well kept, sand is raked each morning and you walk out to a very clean look. Beach side has a small beach area with little covered sitting areas which are GREAT in the mornings and late evenings, little dock out front that has a covered area. Large almond tree that provides shade in front of main house, nice little pool out the side. As yo uwalk around at night there are hundreds of little hermit crabs and you can also see larger blue crabs if you walk softly in the evening and carry a flashlight.
Food - It was ok, had a fun BBQ out on the beach one night with briskett, pork, chicken, and the catch of the day. Breakfast you will have your option of sausage, eggs to order, french toast, breakfast burrito's.... lunch simple, sandwiches, dinner..... The food could definately be better, I'd say it is a weak point in addition to the cooling issue. Coffee and juice meet you at your door at 6 am every day.
Staff- Super friendly. All of them are great, the bar staff (3 of them cycle through in 3 week shifts), the host, transportation, all of them are super nice and very service oriented. It is definatelly a high point.
Fun - We fished (half day, caught 7 barracuda) for about 400 bucks, snorkeled (20 min boat ride both ways, just the two of us) pretty inexpensive (I think 40 per person) There are sailboats, cayak's, and free snorkeling equipment for the beach itself.
1- Book the excursions to keep you busy if you will be there for more than a couple days, the island just isn't enough to keep you busy. I'd go for cave tubing (hour drive)
2- Don't dress up, you will be sweating a lot...and no need to think you can look fancy
3- enjoy the other guests, it makes it more fun to socialize as you'll be there together with little else to do and you'll be eating your meals with them.
4- If you want to sit by the beach a lot, this may be a thing you can do for many days. If not, plan to do scuba, snorkeling, fishing, excursions...to keep you busy
I liked the place. If the rooms were cooler I would be tempted to rate higher, maybe the food better. Keep in mind this was for a 2 day trip. If it were longer, I'm not sure the rating would hold. The people are great, that is no doubt.
- Also Known As:
- St. George`s Caye Hotel St. George`s Caye
- St. George`s Caye Hotel
- St Georges Caye Hotel
- St. George's Caye Resort Belize/Belize Cayes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. George’s Caye Resort is a secluded paradise located on a private residence island just seven miles from Belize City. Accessible only by boat, St. George’s Caye feels miles away from everyday life thanks to its cozy cabanas, breathtaking views of the Caribbean, and the highest level of service in Belize. Divers, anglers and those looking to just get away from it all will find everything they desire at St. George’s Caye Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, EasyToBook and Travelocity so you can book your St. George's Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.