“Belizean Dream Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. George's Caye Resort

Save Saved
You added St. George's Caye Resort to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
St. George's Caye Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront, St. George's Caye 34275, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Kansas City, Missouri
“Belizean Dream Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My finance and I chose Belize and St. George's Caye Resort for our destination wedding. We are so glad we did, it really was a dream vacation and wedding. We chose the resort sight unseen based on reviews and an article in a destination bridal magazine. Ashley made planning from the states an easy process. This type of wedding and location is not for control freaks though! Together with 30 of our family and friends we rented out the entire resort. From the first moment of arrival everyone you encounter at St. George's Caye Resort is friendly and welcoming. The island and resort are big enough to offer excursions for guests wanting a bit more excitement, but plenty to do if they wanted to stay a little closer to their cabanas. Our group explored Mayan ruined, cave tubed, kayaked, sailed on the Hobie cats, snorkeled, took scuba lessons in the pool and just enjoyed the beautiful beach. There really was something for everyone to enjoy. We loved having everyone eat together in the lodge for our meals. If we had stayed at any other type of resort we never could have managed to have everyone together for meals (can you imagine 30 people agreeing on a restaurant!). I'm a very picky eater and the chef made sure I never came close to going hungry.

Our wedding day was perfect, right down to the weather. Ashley and Barry opened up their home to me, my bridesmaids and parents for me to get ready in the peace and full blast air conditioning. Ashley and the spa manager arranged to have an extra person on staff to do our hair. It was a bit unnerving to have someone do your hair through a translator, but she did the most amazing job I could have imagined. Far better than my consult in the states with my own hairdresser. While I was busy getting ready the resort staff were prepping the outdoor area for our wedding. I did not see any of it until my father and I walked down the aisle. The scene belonged in a magazine. I had inquired about using turquoise ties on the guests chairs to match our wedding colors, but was told they didn't have any, which was understandable. Ashley had a trick up her sleeve and had them for the wedding, but left it as a surprise. It was so wonderful! As my father and I walked from the house to the wedding we passed the entire staff of the resort as they gathered in front of the lodge to watch the wedding, along with a few residents of the island. They all started clapping and cheering as we passed, you could truly feel the warmness and happiness they felt for us and our family and friends. The Belizian people treated us this way the entire time. Ashley helped us find the most amazing wedding photographer to capture our once in a lifetime experience. She also contracted a local band to play the night away as we celebrated. Ashley really made it such an easy and enjoyable experience to plan our wedding. I can't image starting our life together in any other location in the world. St. George's Caye is a wonderful treasure.

Room Tip: The over the water cabana's are wonderful.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
South Jordan, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The island and the staff are amazing (except the management)!!! We couldn't ask for a better beautiful place to stay and the food was good no complaints there. Bring bug spray you won't notice them at first but they are there. Seemed to come out even after arriving back home. The ocean views were amazing along with the private thatched huts added a nice touch. But be prepared to pay if you want to get off the Island. Ask ahead to get the cost to travel to other Islands before booking. Also don't commit to something without fully understanding as the manager will charge $$$$$ even if you don't go!!! Also, bring your booze and drink it whenever possilble. Their alcohol I swear was watered down!!! You cannot taste it nor feel it most of our party stuck to beer figured that couldn't be tampered with... My biggest complaint is I felt like I was held hostage unless I wanted to pay dearly to leave the Island. IT WAS ROBBERY!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 and it was nice any rooms from 8-12 would be the best as you got the breezy si...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ron H, Managing Director at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
As evidenced by virtually all of our other Guest reviews, satisfaction and active endorsement of St. George's is extremely high. Even though this Guest clearly recognized the great service, setting and food, we are sorry that he was not 100% satisfied, but unfortunately he came to the resort as a member of a business group, and our resort apparently would not have been his personal choice. The group was quite diverse, and our manager and staff did everything possible to provide an excellent experience within the limitations imposed by the group leader. This group did have the opportunity to visit other islands and to enjoy guided excursions to the mainland, and these were enjoyed quite a lot. Since we have received very high praise from the rest of this 22-member group, and a stellar review from the group leader, we are confident that our future Guests will continue to have an experience that will cause them to actively endorse of St. George's.
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just got back from St.George's and let me tell you......AMAZING EXPERIENCE!! I booked this as a corporate retreat for 22 people, which could make things really stressful, but Capt Ron, Barry and Ashley were WONDERFUL, and actually REALLY cared about each and every guest! Sapo, Eli and Elbin were TOP NOTCH and made sure we were taken care of and did ANYTHING we asked! The chef was WONDERFUL and every meal was perfect. Funny, but my favorite food item was the breakfast burritos! I am a experienced scuba diver and having a place that caters also to divers was really great for me! Most of my group are not divers- and they took care of each and every one of us like we were all that mattered. Freddie, the dive master, was one of the BEST I have ever dove with! I am so looking forward to going there again! (and I NEVER go to the same place twice!) They have the tour guides and activites all nailed down, and it was nice to know that I could do whatever I wanted, and they had me totally covered. I met SO many nice people, and I really appreciated the environment that allowed for a fun, easy way to make new friends! Thank you Capt Ron, Barry, Ashley, Freddie, Eli, Elbin, Sapo and ALL of the staff and St. George's Caye for an AMAZING trip!

Room Tip: I had an "over the water room" which was great because it was calm- but it got HOT over th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We very much appreciate the praise for our staff and managers - it is always nice to have the hard work and true caring attitude of our people recognized. Taking care of a group of 22 diverse people with highly differing expectations and requests is a challenge for a boutique resort, so we are pleased that your program was a success, and that nearly every one of your team was thrilled with the experience. Thank you.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The other reviews are absolutely true, St. George's is a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back! The island is so pretty, the diving was amazing, and the food was incredible (they have a new gourmet chef, Ernesto, and he's fabulous). But it is people who work at St. George's that make the resort such a special experience, they made us feel like we were at our own perfect little tropical island home.

Room Tip: We loved our cabana over the water, they don't get much of a breeze but what an amazing view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Barry and his staff made for a relaxing and wonderful vacation for my daughters and I! The reviews I read were spot on for describing this gem. I don't get to travel often, so I was very happy to find the resort even better than I expected. I loved the comfortable, almost family-like feel that comes with staying here. We loved meeting Barry's wife and their beautiful little girl, who was often on the hip of one of the staff. Eli and Elban, the two Belizean brothers working the bar and serving meals were very engaging and left nothing for want. My daughters are 19 and 21, and while I was a little worried they might be bored with no nightlife or shopping on the island, they thoroughly enjoyed exploring the island and relaxing their stay away. We all wish we were back there!

We stayed on ocean side in wonderful, clean cabanas, and were very grateful for the constant ocean wind. I can see though why the calmer "bay" side would appeal to others. The food was incredible! And once again, they bent over backwards to accommodate individual tastes and likes. The "family style" dining was a new experience for us on vacation, and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting the other guests and sharing our days over the fresh juices, daily homemade breads and fresh, interesting meals. We learned that a lot of the produce came from the family farms of Eli and his brother back on the mainland. It couldn't be more fresh and delicious. I'm not sure if they appreciate the farm-to-table nature of it that so many restaurants in my area are trying to achieve! The grounds of the resort were impeccably maintained, and the island itself was a treat to explore. We made great use of the kayaks, and got to take a sail on the hobie cat around the island (thanks Eli!! He took me out on one of his breaks!). Everything was available for use whenever you wanted, just grab them off the beach. Mostly, we just relaxed on the beach or in our hammocks reading and enjoying the warm sun. The highlight of the trip was a dive trip with Jose, the dive master. I'm certified but my girls were not, but after their pool course with Jose, they were very comfortable on our reef dive-which was incredible!!

All said and done, an incredibly relaxing stay! From being met on time at the airport to putting us back on the plane, and everything in between, we wanted for nothing. Barry runs a smooth, fun operation! I can see that this resort is not for everybody though. It's not all shiny and new. There's no beer-pong and out of control kids. But, if you want to kick back and relax I can't think of any place better. I can see this as a great place for honeymooners or a romantic get away. And if you want to dive, cave tube, tour temples, etc., it's all available for the asking. I can only hope to get back to that cabana some day....

Room Tip: Ocean front cabanas had a constant breeze! The ones just behind them we heard were just far enough...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great little find in Belize...Tiny mostly deserted island is a 20 minute boat ride from Belize City...Less that a dozen guests stay in beautiful thatched units with three community meals a day. Eat with mostly Americans who like to travel and share their stories. Grounds are botanical garden quality. Hobie Cat sailboat is great fun with brisk winds and sudden out of nowhere rain downpours. Kayaks to explore the mangrove forests and water fowl communities. Pool is clean and well maintained. Chef is very talented and cooks a brisket my grandmother would be proud of. Trips to Belize City available for tourist destinations or tour the third world city struggling to make progress against poverty and corruption. And the experienced divemaster Jose will take you on a safe dive adventures on the nearby healthy coral reef. Only tourist attraction on the Island is an aquarium that is open when the 12 year old guide and proprietor is not in school ($3 admission). Lots of laid back fun and beauty. No night life after dinner and a nightcap. No TV on the island. WiFi available in the lodge. The staff is cheerful, fun, and interesting. Coffee and juice on your front porch by 6am. They'll arrange a private romantic dinner for two on your cabana porch if you ask nice.
We stayed 5 nights that is about the right length. Went diving 3 times with Jose and we saw lion fish, trumpet fish, huge grouper, lobster, manta ray, eel and coral and sponge formation. Managers are interesting and place is well run.

The CONS: Isolated resort, fixed menu without selection, drinks are not included and pricey, nightlife is zip, water at beach is muddy and shallow. Downpours anytime. Bring your own booze.
The PROS: Safe.Very quiet and great sleep with breeze. Chef is a genius. Tiny resort on coral reef with full dive shop. Interact and eat with interesting guests. Sunsets are photo ops. Beech is clean. Romantic vacation.

Room Tip: Check on the best months as I've read that it can be hot and buggy but weather was perfect for i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Walnut Grove CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This resort was everything promised and then some. It is small. During our stay there were as few as 6 guests and as many as 16. The staff is amazing. It was truly sad to have to leave. It is rustic and comfortable at the same time. All activities were flexible as to when and how many participants. The food was freshly prepared and delicious. This is the first vacation where I did not gain weight and yet never felt deprived.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!