“Wonderful experience in every way!” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Beachfront, St. George's Caye 34275, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
50% off room rate
New York City, New York
“Wonderful experience in every way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The other reviews are absolutely true, St. George's is a wonderful place and I can't wait to go back! The island is so pretty, the diving was amazing, and the food was incredible (they have a new gourmet chef, Ernesto, and he's fabulous). But it is people who work at St. George's that make the resort such a special experience, they made us feel like we were at our own perfect little tropical island home.

Room Tip: We loved our cabana over the water, they don't get much of a breeze but what an amazing view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Barry and his staff made for a relaxing and wonderful vacation for my daughters and I! The reviews I read were spot on for describing this gem. I don't get to travel often, so I was very happy to find the resort even better than I expected. I loved the comfortable, almost family-like feel that comes with staying here. We loved meeting Barry's wife and their beautiful little girl, who was often on the hip of one of the staff. Eli and Elban, the two Belizean brothers working the bar and serving meals were very engaging and left nothing for want. My daughters are 19 and 21, and while I was a little worried they might be bored with no nightlife or shopping on the island, they thoroughly enjoyed exploring the island and relaxing their stay away. We all wish we were back there!

We stayed on ocean side in wonderful, clean cabanas, and were very grateful for the constant ocean wind. I can see though why the calmer "bay" side would appeal to others. The food was incredible! And once again, they bent over backwards to accommodate individual tastes and likes. The "family style" dining was a new experience for us on vacation, and we thoroughly enjoyed meeting the other guests and sharing our days over the fresh juices, daily homemade breads and fresh, interesting meals. We learned that a lot of the produce came from the family farms of Eli and his brother back on the mainland. It couldn't be more fresh and delicious. I'm not sure if they appreciate the farm-to-table nature of it that so many restaurants in my area are trying to achieve! The grounds of the resort were impeccably maintained, and the island itself was a treat to explore. We made great use of the kayaks, and got to take a sail on the hobie cat around the island (thanks Eli!! He took me out on one of his breaks!). Everything was available for use whenever you wanted, just grab them off the beach. Mostly, we just relaxed on the beach or in our hammocks reading and enjoying the warm sun. The highlight of the trip was a dive trip with Jose, the dive master. I'm certified but my girls were not, but after their pool course with Jose, they were very comfortable on our reef dive-which was incredible!!

All said and done, an incredibly relaxing stay! From being met on time at the airport to putting us back on the plane, and everything in between, we wanted for nothing. Barry runs a smooth, fun operation! I can see that this resort is not for everybody though. It's not all shiny and new. There's no beer-pong and out of control kids. But, if you want to kick back and relax I can't think of any place better. I can see this as a great place for honeymooners or a romantic get away. And if you want to dive, cave tube, tour temples, etc., it's all available for the asking. I can only hope to get back to that cabana some day....

Room Tip: Ocean front cabanas had a constant breeze! The ones just behind them we heard were just far enough...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great little find in Belize...Tiny mostly deserted island is a 20 minute boat ride from Belize City...Less that a dozen guests stay in beautiful thatched units with three community meals a day. Eat with mostly Americans who like to travel and share their stories. Grounds are botanical garden quality. Hobie Cat sailboat is great fun with brisk winds and sudden out of nowhere rain downpours. Kayaks to explore the mangrove forests and water fowl communities. Pool is clean and well maintained. Chef is very talented and cooks a brisket my grandmother would be proud of. Trips to Belize City available for tourist destinations or tour the third world city struggling to make progress against poverty and corruption. And the experienced divemaster Jose will take you on a safe dive adventures on the nearby healthy coral reef. Only tourist attraction on the Island is an aquarium that is open when the 12 year old guide and proprietor is not in school ($3 admission). Lots of laid back fun and beauty. No night life after dinner and a nightcap. No TV on the island. WiFi available in the lodge. The staff is cheerful, fun, and interesting. Coffee and juice on your front porch by 6am. They'll arrange a private romantic dinner for two on your cabana porch if you ask nice.
We stayed 5 nights that is about the right length. Went diving 3 times with Jose and we saw lion fish, trumpet fish, huge grouper, lobster, manta ray, eel and coral and sponge formation. Managers are interesting and place is well run.

The CONS: Isolated resort, fixed menu without selection, drinks are not included and pricey, nightlife is zip, water at beach is muddy and shallow. Downpours anytime. Bring your own booze.
The PROS: Safe.Very quiet and great sleep with breeze. Chef is a genius. Tiny resort on coral reef with full dive shop. Interact and eat with interesting guests. Sunsets are photo ops. Beech is clean. Romantic vacation.

Room Tip: Check on the best months as I've read that it can be hot and buggy but weather was perfect for i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Walnut Grove CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

This resort was everything promised and then some. It is small. During our stay there were as few as 6 guests and as many as 16. The staff is amazing. It was truly sad to have to leave. It is rustic and comfortable at the same time. All activities were flexible as to when and how many participants. The food was freshly prepared and delicious. This is the first vacation where I did not gain weight and yet never felt deprived.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A little bit of heaven. I spent 4 days here as a solo guest and couldn't have felt more welcome. Barry and his family are delightful and the staff are just wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble.
It is an oasis of calm and the tiny island only has a few other inhabitants.
I had an overwater cabana and falling asleep to the sound of the water and then waking before sunrise and sitting in my hammock enjoying the tea, fresh orange juice (and a piece of last night's desert from chef Miss Judy) was bliss. I tend to burn the candle both ends on holiday but found myself happily sloping off to bed at 8.30pm most nights.
The communal dining idea can be a little daunting and maybe I was lucky to have great fellow guests but I really enjoyed this aspect of the set up. The food was excellent and as a result the lack of choice due to each meal being a set menu for all guests didn't bother me at all.
I spent one day out diving with Freddie who is just brilliant. I have been a nervous diver in the past and got through my air really quickly but he really relaxed me, gave me loads of confidence and I got over 50 minutes out of each of my 2 tanks.
I can't finish without mentioning the BBQ at sea we were treated to. 5 guests and all the staff headed out to a sand spit where a full BBQ along with tables and chairs were set up with the water lapping at our feet and we whiled away a laughter filled afternoon in the sun with the locals.
Highly recommended.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week long vacation at St. Georges. It was nothing short of spectacular. Our transportation was waiting for us as we stepped out of the airport and we were greeted with drinks as soon as we got to the island. We werent sure what to expect for the food while we were there, and again, it was wonderful. Fresh juices and bread made daily. The ENTIRE staff was outgoing and friendly. Always willing to go above and beyond. All hard workers and happy to be there. This is a place that we will be revisiting!! The resort has a tour guide that they are contacted with, and he was also great. Was well educated with all aspects of the tour and truly enjoyed his job. If youre on a budget, I recommend asking the prices of the tours prior to going, they were a bit more expensive than we thought when we got our bill at the end of the trip. Wouldnt change it, was our fault and well worth every penny. The diving was unreal and I recommend taking the kayaks out at sunset and paddling around. Barry and his wife Ashley who run the resort on the island have an amazing staff and we loved every aspect of everyday of our vacation. Thanks to everyone who made this our best vacation yet. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: I dont think theres a bad one. They are all the same layout, just different locations. I would say...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This resort was amazing. Hands down the best service I have ever experienced. I have been to over 40 countries, but Belize blew me away. The culture, da people, da food... Excellent man... Ha ha that's all my creole... Barry the manager goes out of his way to make sure your stay is 100%. From all the excursions my sister wanted to do, to my unfortunate emergency departure (for med reason) Barry and his wife helped every step of the way and she even waited with me till I got my ride for the airport (which they provided). Food was outstanding, staff out of this world, and the intimate sitting of everyone for all meals made it my favorite part! I got to meet some wonderful people. I can't wait to come back, another trip with my sister?! A bf? Honeymoon?! Stay tuned!

• Stayed November 2012

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!