Great little find in Belize...Tiny mostly deserted island is a 20 minute boat ride from Belize City...Less that a dozen guests stay in beautiful thatched units with three community meals a day. Eat with mostly Americans who like to travel and share their stories. Grounds are botanical garden quality. Hobie Cat sailboat is great fun with brisk winds and sudden out of nowhere rain downpours. Kayaks to explore the mangrove forests and water fowl communities. Pool is clean and well maintained. Chef is very talented and cooks a brisket my grandmother would be proud of. Trips to Belize City available for tourist destinations or tour the third world city struggling to make progress against poverty and corruption. And the experienced divemaster Jose will take you on a safe dive adventures on the nearby healthy coral reef. Only tourist attraction on the Island is an aquarium that is open when the 12 year old guide and proprietor is not in school ($3 admission). Lots of laid back fun and beauty. No night life after dinner and a nightcap. No TV on the island. WiFi available in the lodge. The staff is cheerful, fun, and interesting. Coffee and juice on your front porch by 6am. They'll arrange a private romantic dinner for two on your cabana porch if you ask nice.
We stayed 5 nights that is about the right length. Went diving 3 times with Jose and we saw lion fish, trumpet fish, huge grouper, lobster, manta ray, eel and coral and sponge formation. Managers are interesting and place is well run.
The CONS: Isolated resort, fixed menu without selection, drinks are not included and pricey, nightlife is zip, water at beach is muddy and shallow. Downpours anytime. Bring your own booze.
The PROS: Safe.Very quiet and great sleep with breeze. Chef is a genius. Tiny resort on coral reef with full dive shop. Interact and eat with interesting guests. Sunsets are photo ops. Beech is clean. Romantic vacation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- St. George’s Caye Resort is a secluded paradise located on a private residence island just seven miles from Belize City. Accessible only by boat, St. George’s Caye feels miles away from everyday life thanks to its cozy cabanas, breathtaking views of the Caribbean, and the highest level of service in Belize. Divers, anglers and those looking to just get away from it all will find everything they desire at St. George’s Caye Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your St. George's Caye Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. George`s Caye Hotel St. George`s Caye
- St Georges Caye Hotel
- St. George's Caye Resort Belize/Belize Cayes