“Bliss” 5 of 5 stars

Complimentary bottle of wine
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A little bit of heaven. I spent 4 days here as a solo guest and couldn't have felt more welcome. Barry and his family are delightful and the staff are just wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble.
It is an oasis of calm and the tiny island only has a few other inhabitants.
I had an overwater cabana and falling asleep to the sound of the water and then waking before sunrise and sitting in my hammock enjoying the tea, fresh orange juice (and a piece of last night's desert from chef Miss Judy) was bliss. I tend to burn the candle both ends on holiday but found myself happily sloping off to bed at 8.30pm most nights.
The communal dining idea can be a little daunting and maybe I was lucky to have great fellow guests but I really enjoyed this aspect of the set up. The food was excellent and as a result the lack of choice due to each meal being a set menu for all guests didn't bother me at all.
I spent one day out diving with Freddie who is just brilliant. I have been a nervous diver in the past and got through my air really quickly but he really relaxed me, gave me loads of confidence and I got over 50 minutes out of each of my 2 tanks.
I can't finish without mentioning the BBQ at sea we were treated to. 5 guests and all the staff headed out to a sand spit where a full BBQ along with tables and chairs were set up with the water lapping at our feet and we whiled away a laughter filled afternoon in the sun with the locals.
Highly recommended.

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from a week long vacation at St. Georges. It was nothing short of spectacular. Our transportation was waiting for us as we stepped out of the airport and we were greeted with drinks as soon as we got to the island. We werent sure what to expect for the food while we were there, and again, it was wonderful. Fresh juices and bread made daily. The ENTIRE staff was outgoing and friendly. Always willing to go above and beyond. All hard workers and happy to be there. This is a place that we will be revisiting!! The resort has a tour guide that they are contacted with, and he was also great. Was well educated with all aspects of the tour and truly enjoyed his job. If youre on a budget, I recommend asking the prices of the tours prior to going, they were a bit more expensive than we thought when we got our bill at the end of the trip. Wouldnt change it, was our fault and well worth every penny. The diving was unreal and I recommend taking the kayaks out at sunset and paddling around. Barry and his wife Ashley who run the resort on the island have an amazing staff and we loved every aspect of everyday of our vacation. Thanks to everyone who made this our best vacation yet. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: I dont think theres a bad one. They are all the same layout, just different locations. I would say...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This resort was amazing. Hands down the best service I have ever experienced. I have been to over 40 countries, but Belize blew me away. The culture, da people, da food... Excellent man... Ha ha that's all my creole... Barry the manager goes out of his way to make sure your stay is 100%. From all the excursions my sister wanted to do, to my unfortunate emergency departure (for med reason) Barry and his wife helped every step of the way and she even waited with me till I got my ride for the airport (which they provided). Food was outstanding, staff out of this world, and the intimate sitting of everyone for all meals made it my favorite part! I got to meet some wonderful people. I can't wait to come back, another trip with my sister?! A bf? Honeymoon?! Stay tuned!

• Stayed November 2012
Glen Burnie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Private island 20 minutes from Belize City. Cabanas are cozy with a porch and your own hammock. Coffee is delivered to your cabana every morning. Nice bar and restaurant all made out of locale mahogany Easy valet diving, you never have to touch your gear out side of putting it on.Boat rides are about 20 minutes, plenty of shade under the canopy. Water and fruit provided on the boat. On the dive Eagle rays, groupers, parrot fish angels plus many others. Macro photograhy also available.

Room Tip: You can ocean view or bay side over the water
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My daughters and I visited St. George's Caye Resort for 3 nights after we had spent 10 days working with underprivileged girls in rural Belize. We were exhausted and ready for some pampering. We were supposed to stay 4 nights, but Hurricane Ernesto was headed that way and the airlines let us leave early for no additional fees. Unfortunately, there was not a mandatory evacuation of St. George's Caye, so the resort could not give us a refund. We understood that and didn't mind. We had purchased trip insurance so that wasn't a problem.

The place was wonderful. The staff was really small and friendly. And, they only have 24 guests at the most. All the meals are served in the dining room and you sit with other guests. You really get to know each other at meals. But, in between meals, you have plenty of space on your own to relax and play with others or alone.

The Rum Punch was delicious and they would make it as strong or weak as you like. They could make you other drinks also, for a fee. All other juices were free all the time, but softdrinks are not. But I am pretty sure they didn't charge us every time we got a coke.

They only had one woman working in the spa, but she was amazing. The best spa treatments I have ever had! They might have only had one for low season, but the place was fully booked. Even with bad weather, everyone got the appts they wanted during their visit. My daughters got facials that made their skin seem to heal and glow instantly. I had a foot scrub that she work on for at least an hour. My heals were very calloused and dry and she made them look like brand new baby's feet. She used a stone out of the sea with a scrub she made herself out of sugar, vanilla, olive oil and such. She never used a blade the way cheap nail places in the US do. After the foot scrub, I had a mud rap followed by a massage. She gave me a wonderful price for all that work - discounted since we got so many services. And, the prices were already reasonable for a captured audience on a private resort island.

The meals were fun. Sometimes the food was wonderful. Others times, I was a bit disappointed in the food. The cook was so nice, though. She would make you what ever you wanted. One guest actually went into the kitchen with her and taught her how to make a breakfast egg that her teen children liked to eat. There was also one woman there who was gluton and dairy free. She made her a special plate every time and it always was top notch, not sacrificed in anyway. A few times I envied her plate. My only complaint about the food is that I would like to see less rice and more seafood. I really was looking forward to ceviche and other local seafood items. There was some seafood and it was good when served, but I would have like more. Each day, they posted the meals of the day and you could ask for a substitute in advance. I didn't ever do this, but I could have. The meal times are set and I think they are bit early. They are lunch at noon, dinner at 6pm. I would have preferred lunch about 1-2pm and dinner about 7-8. The diners were 4-5 courses. If you were running late because of some activities, they saved it for you.

Each morning, they brought coffee and juice to our front porch. I liked the touch. I could lie in a hammock on my porch to sip coffee and read. Yes, each cabin had a front porch with 2 chairs/table and a one person hammock. I think I would rather have had a lounge chair on my porch instead of the hammock. Just a preference. I am sure they would have brought me one if I had asked. They repeatedly reminded us to make suggestions and ask for anything we were lacking.

The cabins were cute and nice. They had put in an extra twin bed in the room for us and we still had plenty of room. but, we didn't have (or need) an inside sitting room. Without the bed, we might have. The room also had a fully stocked mini fridge, a nice closet area, but no chest of drawers. The bathroom only had a shower. From the images, I was expecting a larger bathroom. And, the rooms didn't get much sunlight. The windows were small. The cabins were thatched roof. We had horrible thunder storms with the hurricane on the way and I thought for sure the roofs were going to leak on us, but they were fine. Amazing. Our cabin was one of only two that didn't face a lagoon or beach, but it still was a great location and we had a view of lush gardens and a peak of the sea from our porch.

The cabins came with robes for each guest. It was so casual, that some people came to breakfast in the robes and they certainly wore them to the spa. We never had to dress up, but sometimes it was fun to put on a casual summer dress for dinner.

Because of the weather, we spent quite a bit of time in the common area of the main lodge with other people. We played games and used the Wi-Fi. I would have been happier if we could have gotten Wi-Fi in our actual rooms because of the weather. Otherwise, we would not have missed it. And, the Wi-Fi wasn't great. We couldn't download any movies from Amazon or iTunes, etc., but that may have been because we were out of the country. They have a library of books but nothing supper new or exciting. I had my kindle full, so I was happy.

The pool is average. More for just laps or scuba lessons. It is a salt water pool which is great!! And, it has a lovely covered area with couches, lounge chairs, hammocks, etc. It's not close to the bar though and there isn't service at the pool.

The activities were abundant and free. There were kayaks all over. You could kayak around the entire island and in some mangroves. The only thing on the island was the resort and some private houses. There is an abandoned british base (very small) from a 100 years ago or so. Before the turn of the 20th century, St. George's Caye was the capital of Belize. They moved it to Belize City after a hurricane wiped out every building. They moved the capital be Belmopan after a hurricane in the 50s wiped it out there.

They also had hobie cats you could use. Our problem was we didn't know how to sail, so we could not do it on our own. They had some teen boys that would take us out, but the weather didn't cooperate do we didn't get to do it. I was bit frustrated by that. One morning, it was sunny and lovely and the boys said we couldn't go because there wasn't enough wind. But other people went on one on their own and they had plenty of wind. Then, the next day, they couldn't take us because there was too much wind and risk of turning it over.

They did take us on a quick snorkeling trip (we weren't interested in Scuba). After about a 15 minute boat ride to a near by reef, we saw a bunch of cool things in only 20-30 minutes of snorkeling - a manatee that swam right under us and let us touch him, a very large and menacing looking barracuda that ignored us. Lots of beautiful fish and coral. I was hoping the guide would have seen and speared a lobster for us to make some ceviche with, but we didn't see any. This was a fairly common reef. I think you need to be in more of a less populated reef to find lobster. We could have stayed out longer, but my daughter got a bit sea sick so he took us straight back to the island. He was great.

I haven't said much about the scuba, because we weren't into it, but they do it all. You can get certified and do some amazing day and night dives. Lots of other guests were doing it and loving it (weather pending). And, I can't recall what the fishing options are, but I am sure they are great.

We also went on some cool walks on the island and played volleyball with other guests.

The only complaint is the resort advertised air condition in the rooms. We were there in August and they didn't cool the room enough. I am sure in other seasons that the peak hot summer month, it is enough. You actually still had to keep your windows and doors open with an air conditioner and a floor fan at all times. It would get cool enough at night, eventually, when we had a storm with wind and our door was cracked. But, you couldn't really be comfortable in your room during the day. It would have been more comforting if the cabin had a screen door also. It seemed a bit odd to sleep with the room door open for more air. Fortunately, the sea breezes prevented any bugs from coming in. We were so happy for no bugs since after 10 days in the jungle working, we were littered in mosquito bites and tired of finding tarantulas and other scary spiders in our bunk house.

I would like to go back to St. George's Caye sometime when the weather is better and I am not so exhausted from working in the jungle. The owner and manager we so fun and nice. I felt like we were visiting friends at their estate home. In fact, they gave us a wonderful rate (the Belize local rate) since we had worked with children in the country and because my children were drinking alcohol.

Speaking of children, they don't allow children under 14, but teens are welcome. Fortunately, there were two other teens there at the same time as us, which my teens enjoyed.

Early low season seems like a better chance of good weather and affordable prices. But even their high season is affordable. In fact, I might go back in May with my husband for our 20 year reunion.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I traveled alone to St. Georges Caye and had a really nice time. It was everything I expected. I wanted to get away from the hustle & just relax and decompress. This is more of a lodge than resort so if you want tv, schedules, phones, screaming kids & alot of activity you won't find it here. If you want hassle free quiet, you got it. Everyone there including the guest were very pleasant.
One thing to remember: this is an island and some of the amenities people are use to are not here. Also remember you have to get to Belize City by boat. If you do decide you want to go mainland; I suggest a tour first to make sure being on your own would be for you.
I wish I could thank all the staff there for being so nice. Attentive staff is what makes or breaks a vacation and they definately made it.
Meals are served family style together with others. Don't let that thought bother you. Alot if information is shared about things to do and see over meals. The food is good, nothing exotic that people havn't herd of. It's just prepared diffrent so have an open mind. If your a food person like me you'll welcome a change of pace from a food perspective. Also when you confirm reservation you are sent a questionaire which includes food questions. Fill it out.
Fresh fruit is served in the mornings along with a diffrent juice with each meal. Portions are fairly large and I didn't feel hungry or require a snack. The meals" Chap & company" prepared were enough to keep me going until the next meal. The menu is written the morning of on a board.
Not to worry Chap can make you something regardless of any allergies or dislikes you might have (haha).
There are beach leisure activities, kayak, windsurfing, sailing, pool, vollyball, ect.. and my favorite: reading and napping in a hammock on the pier.
Ladies your best friend here will be a scarf, hair clips, & ponytail holders. A ride in a boat can have you disheveled in no time.
This is a great place for adults and is an adult place. I think kids would become easily bored unless you traveled to the mainland every other day with the island being pretty isolated. It is truly for R&R. Would I stay here again? Yes!
Ron, Barry & Chap; thanks for entertaining me (hehehe).

Room Tip: I actually had a room inside the lodge, which I didn't mind since it was just me. The room was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I travelled with 4 of my best friends to St. George's Caye and I can not say enough wonderful things about the staff, our stay, the view, meeting others and sailing, etc! In a matter of one day, we quickly adjusted to the Belizean way: no phones, no schedlues ... just fun. If you want an a true upscale camp experience in the most stressfree getaway, this place is for you. It was the best vacation my friends and I have ever had and our hearts belong to Belize now and we will return!

Room Tip: Ocean Front face the ocean and get a nice breeze. Garden Huts are more private. Over the Sea gets...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!