“Lovely Place to Relax and Play” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. George's Caye Resort

Save Saved
You added St. George's Caye Resort to your Saves list
St. George's Caye Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Beachfront, St. George's Caye 34275, Belize   |
Offers & Announcements
Free room upgrade
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Lovely Place to Relax and Play”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

My daughters and I visited St. George's Caye Resort for 3 nights after we had spent 10 days working with underprivileged girls in rural Belize. We were exhausted and ready for some pampering. We were supposed to stay 4 nights, but Hurricane Ernesto was headed that way and the airlines let us leave early for no additional fees. Unfortunately, there was not a mandatory evacuation of St. George's Caye, so the resort could not give us a refund. We understood that and didn't mind. We had purchased trip insurance so that wasn't a problem.

The place was wonderful. The staff was really small and friendly. And, they only have 24 guests at the most. All the meals are served in the dining room and you sit with other guests. You really get to know each other at meals. But, in between meals, you have plenty of space on your own to relax and play with others or alone.

The Rum Punch was delicious and they would make it as strong or weak as you like. They could make you other drinks also, for a fee. All other juices were free all the time, but softdrinks are not. But I am pretty sure they didn't charge us every time we got a coke.

They only had one woman working in the spa, but she was amazing. The best spa treatments I have ever had! They might have only had one for low season, but the place was fully booked. Even with bad weather, everyone got the appts they wanted during their visit. My daughters got facials that made their skin seem to heal and glow instantly. I had a foot scrub that she work on for at least an hour. My heals were very calloused and dry and she made them look like brand new baby's feet. She used a stone out of the sea with a scrub she made herself out of sugar, vanilla, olive oil and such. She never used a blade the way cheap nail places in the US do. After the foot scrub, I had a mud rap followed by a massage. She gave me a wonderful price for all that work - discounted since we got so many services. And, the prices were already reasonable for a captured audience on a private resort island.

The meals were fun. Sometimes the food was wonderful. Others times, I was a bit disappointed in the food. The cook was so nice, though. She would make you what ever you wanted. One guest actually went into the kitchen with her and taught her how to make a breakfast egg that her teen children liked to eat. There was also one woman there who was gluton and dairy free. She made her a special plate every time and it always was top notch, not sacrificed in anyway. A few times I envied her plate. My only complaint about the food is that I would like to see less rice and more seafood. I really was looking forward to ceviche and other local seafood items. There was some seafood and it was good when served, but I would have like more. Each day, they posted the meals of the day and you could ask for a substitute in advance. I didn't ever do this, but I could have. The meal times are set and I think they are bit early. They are lunch at noon, dinner at 6pm. I would have preferred lunch about 1-2pm and dinner about 7-8. The diners were 4-5 courses. If you were running late because of some activities, they saved it for you.

Each morning, they brought coffee and juice to our front porch. I liked the touch. I could lie in a hammock on my porch to sip coffee and read. Yes, each cabin had a front porch with 2 chairs/table and a one person hammock. I think I would rather have had a lounge chair on my porch instead of the hammock. Just a preference. I am sure they would have brought me one if I had asked. They repeatedly reminded us to make suggestions and ask for anything we were lacking.

The cabins were cute and nice. They had put in an extra twin bed in the room for us and we still had plenty of room. but, we didn't have (or need) an inside sitting room. Without the bed, we might have. The room also had a fully stocked mini fridge, a nice closet area, but no chest of drawers. The bathroom only had a shower. From the images, I was expecting a larger bathroom. And, the rooms didn't get much sunlight. The windows were small. The cabins were thatched roof. We had horrible thunder storms with the hurricane on the way and I thought for sure the roofs were going to leak on us, but they were fine. Amazing. Our cabin was one of only two that didn't face a lagoon or beach, but it still was a great location and we had a view of lush gardens and a peak of the sea from our porch.

The cabins came with robes for each guest. It was so casual, that some people came to breakfast in the robes and they certainly wore them to the spa. We never had to dress up, but sometimes it was fun to put on a casual summer dress for dinner.

Because of the weather, we spent quite a bit of time in the common area of the main lodge with other people. We played games and used the Wi-Fi. I would have been happier if we could have gotten Wi-Fi in our actual rooms because of the weather. Otherwise, we would not have missed it. And, the Wi-Fi wasn't great. We couldn't download any movies from Amazon or iTunes, etc., but that may have been because we were out of the country. They have a library of books but nothing supper new or exciting. I had my kindle full, so I was happy.

The pool is average. More for just laps or scuba lessons. It is a salt water pool which is great!! And, it has a lovely covered area with couches, lounge chairs, hammocks, etc. It's not close to the bar though and there isn't service at the pool.

The activities were abundant and free. There were kayaks all over. You could kayak around the entire island and in some mangroves. The only thing on the island was the resort and some private houses. There is an abandoned british base (very small) from a 100 years ago or so. Before the turn of the 20th century, St. George's Caye was the capital of Belize. They moved it to Belize City after a hurricane wiped out every building. They moved the capital be Belmopan after a hurricane in the 50s wiped it out there.

They also had hobie cats you could use. Our problem was we didn't know how to sail, so we could not do it on our own. They had some teen boys that would take us out, but the weather didn't cooperate do we didn't get to do it. I was bit frustrated by that. One morning, it was sunny and lovely and the boys said we couldn't go because there wasn't enough wind. But other people went on one on their own and they had plenty of wind. Then, the next day, they couldn't take us because there was too much wind and risk of turning it over.

They did take us on a quick snorkeling trip (we weren't interested in Scuba). After about a 15 minute boat ride to a near by reef, we saw a bunch of cool things in only 20-30 minutes of snorkeling - a manatee that swam right under us and let us touch him, a very large and menacing looking barracuda that ignored us. Lots of beautiful fish and coral. I was hoping the guide would have seen and speared a lobster for us to make some ceviche with, but we didn't see any. This was a fairly common reef. I think you need to be in more of a less populated reef to find lobster. We could have stayed out longer, but my daughter got a bit sea sick so he took us straight back to the island. He was great.

I haven't said much about the scuba, because we weren't into it, but they do it all. You can get certified and do some amazing day and night dives. Lots of other guests were doing it and loving it (weather pending). And, I can't recall what the fishing options are, but I am sure they are great.

We also went on some cool walks on the island and played volleyball with other guests.

The only complaint is the resort advertised air condition in the rooms. We were there in August and they didn't cool the room enough. I am sure in other seasons that the peak hot summer month, it is enough. You actually still had to keep your windows and doors open with an air conditioner and a floor fan at all times. It would get cool enough at night, eventually, when we had a storm with wind and our door was cracked. But, you couldn't really be comfortable in your room during the day. It would have been more comforting if the cabin had a screen door also. It seemed a bit odd to sleep with the room door open for more air. Fortunately, the sea breezes prevented any bugs from coming in. We were so happy for no bugs since after 10 days in the jungle working, we were littered in mosquito bites and tired of finding tarantulas and other scary spiders in our bunk house.

I would like to go back to St. George's Caye sometime when the weather is better and I am not so exhausted from working in the jungle. The owner and manager we so fun and nice. I felt like we were visiting friends at their estate home. In fact, they gave us a wonderful rate (the Belize local rate) since we had worked with children in the country and because my children were drinking alcohol.

Speaking of children, they don't allow children under 14, but teens are welcome. Fortunately, there were two other teens there at the same time as us, which my teens enjoyed.

Early low season seems like a better chance of good weather and affordable prices. But even their high season is affordable. In fact, I might go back in May with my husband for our 20 year reunion.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I traveled alone to St. Georges Caye and had a really nice time. It was everything I expected. I wanted to get away from the hustle & just relax and decompress. This is more of a lodge than resort so if you want tv, schedules, phones, screaming kids & alot of activity you won't find it here. If you want hassle free quiet, you got it. Everyone there including the guest were very pleasant.
One thing to remember: this is an island and some of the amenities people are use to are not here. Also remember you have to get to Belize City by boat. If you do decide you want to go mainland; I suggest a tour first to make sure being on your own would be for you.
I wish I could thank all the staff there for being so nice. Attentive staff is what makes or breaks a vacation and they definately made it.
Meals are served family style together with others. Don't let that thought bother you. Alot if information is shared about things to do and see over meals. The food is good, nothing exotic that people havn't herd of. It's just prepared diffrent so have an open mind. If your a food person like me you'll welcome a change of pace from a food perspective. Also when you confirm reservation you are sent a questionaire which includes food questions. Fill it out.
Fresh fruit is served in the mornings along with a diffrent juice with each meal. Portions are fairly large and I didn't feel hungry or require a snack. The meals" Chap & company" prepared were enough to keep me going until the next meal. The menu is written the morning of on a board.
Not to worry Chap can make you something regardless of any allergies or dislikes you might have (haha).
There are beach leisure activities, kayak, windsurfing, sailing, pool, vollyball, ect.. and my favorite: reading and napping in a hammock on the pier.
Ladies your best friend here will be a scarf, hair clips, & ponytail holders. A ride in a boat can have you disheveled in no time.
This is a great place for adults and is an adult place. I think kids would become easily bored unless you traveled to the mainland every other day with the island being pretty isolated. It is truly for R&R. Would I stay here again? Yes!
Ron, Barry & Chap; thanks for entertaining me (hehehe).

Room Tip: I actually had a room inside the lodge, which I didn't mind since it was just me. The room was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I travelled with 4 of my best friends to St. George's Caye and I can not say enough wonderful things about the staff, our stay, the view, meeting others and sailing, etc! In a matter of one day, we quickly adjusted to the Belizean way: no phones, no schedlues ... just fun. If you want an a true upscale camp experience in the most stressfree getaway, this place is for you. It was the best vacation my friends and I have ever had and our hearts belong to Belize now and we will return!

Room Tip: Ocean Front face the ocean and get a nice breeze. Garden Huts are more private. Over the Sea gets...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Anaheim Hills, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed from Apr 21, 2012 - Apr 26, 2012 and really enjoyed the relaxation more than anything. If you want to truly get away from it all, this is the place to go. It was very quiet; lights were out for most not too long after dark. This was likely due to several things, some requesting pretty strong rum drinks and par-taking in their duty free bottles too.

As others had stated, we all ate together. We liked this as it gave us the opportunity to get to know the others staying here. Just about everyone shared their email addresses with all before departing. We met quite a variety of people including two honeymoon couples. Everyone was good about giving each other privacy though, no one infringed upon your quiet time, be it alone or with your husband, etc.

You have to get a massage from Leonie. She was absolutely wonderful at giving a great massage in addition to being a fantastic hostess! All of the other guests stated as much. One night we were all having dinner and somehow the topic of what cake types each liked came up. I had stated that carrot cake was my favorite. Well, on my birthday, Leonie surprised me with a carrot cake. It was wonderful and was made with care. Unfortunately, I too had a bit much to drink that night. Didn't feel too well the next morning when we were leaving to go to Placencia. The boat ride back to the mainland was tough, but I made it without any embarrassing moments.

The BBQ was also fantastic, with the exception of my asthma not doing well with the smoke and all. The food for the most part was very good.

Be very aware of the mosquitos and/or other biting insects. My husband was eaten alive. Bug spray is a must. Bugs tend to fall into and onto your bed and elsewhere. Just know this upfront. They must be shaken from the thatched ceiling due to the whirling fan. We stayed on the dock side and loved this spot but not the bugs.

You must wonder up the coast of the island and visit a boys (don't remember his name) private aquatic collection. The resort will know where to send you. I think it was three dollars each to get in, but he really knows his stuff and is adorable. This money will hopefully be used for his college tuition.

Just be prepared if you drink the bottled water or beer that is in the fridge, the bill for this will startle you as will the taxes that are added to the bill for your stay. It almost doubled what the resort charges. My husband left in a bit of shock.

I would recommend the resort for a once in a lifetime trip as a couple. In my opinion, this is not a resort for children.

Room Tip: Stay in a dock side room to experience the sound of the water washing up underneath the room, the be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Pedro, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I took a few days off with the intention of getting away to a quaint, small, rustic, quiet, small and private island. St. George's is just that. Given it's somewhat remote location and the fact that I know it's a challenge to provision by boat, I was surprised and delighted to learn the lodge stocked champagne, and I was able to sip Mimosas (made with freshly squeezed OJ) to my heart's content (no, that's not included in your stay, but for me it was well worth it).

Additionally, the lodge's main building offered complimentary internet service, so I was able to catch up to the extent I wanted to, and then turn-off when the resort staff reminded me I was there to decompress. Speaking of decompressing, I booked a 90 minute massage with Leonie and she was excellent, my suggestion if you are staying more than one day, would be to book with her daily.

I also went sailing with Cpt. Freddie, he allowed me to sail the Hobie cat back to the lodge, and we were escorted by a spirited Dolphin - loved that! When we got back to the beach and I jumped in to help push the boat in, I also sank into the muddy bottom of the water, so I would suggest you swim off the dock (they have stairs leading into the water), or in the pool.

In regards to the food, the meals are served family style and prepared by Chef's Chap and Judy. I got to meet and spend time with both of these warm and caring people. The meals were always flavorful and plentiful, and again I was impressed with the selections given the fact we were on a small island. Keep in mind, the menu is set, you don't dictate or choose the menu, you go with the flow. If you have special dietary needs, be sure to inform them ahead of time. Incidentally, I never went hungry (and I am usually someone who needs to snack), as there was always plenty of food at each meal.

That brings me over to my room. I thought for a rustic lodge (which is what this is) they brought a certain amount of luxury into the fold, 24 hour electricity, a mini bar stocked with local beers, bottled water and cokes, a waffle cotton robe, nice linens and towels, plenty of hot water and lots of cool breezes from the beach.

Realistic expectations are always first and foremost when you plan a vacation or getaway. I would think of this spot as more of a "lodge" than a "resort". Add friendly and efficient staff and great management (Thanks so much Barry) and you have the recipe for a laid-back, chilled out, no stress, decompress zone. I will definitely go back, and in fact am thinking of taking a group with me next time. I would like to thank the people that took such great care of me during my WAY too short visit: Chap, Barry, Judy, Leoni, Eli, Carlos, Herbert, and my lovely housekeeping ladies.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed for three or four nights back in February at the end of a two month trip around central America. Staying here was a splurge for us (Belize is very expensive compared to most of its neighbours anyway), as we wanted somewhere nice to stay and relax before heading home. I enjoyed everything about our stay apart from the food.... the island is great, the water is the most crystal clear you can imagine, the free kayaks, pedalos and sail boats allow you to explore, and if you are happy to chill out then I think you'll be happy. Although it is good to know before you go that the 'beach' isn't probably what you'd expect, and the sand directly off the beach in the water is gunky so you get stuck in the mud! That's why there is the lovey pontoon for you to jump off. We went diving once and it was expensive, but I have nothing else in Belize to compare this to. The hut itself was large and comfortable, although the interior was a bit dated if I'm going to pick holes. All of the staff were great and really friendly, and always helpful. We did have a big fire on the beach on Valentines day, and also dinner was a BBQ on the beach another night. I don't know if it is because I'm British (I am told by an American friend that it may be so), but I found the whole communal eating thing a bit odd. After a few days it was great to know everyone there, and all the guests seemed very open to talking to 'newbies', but having set lunch and dinner times is just odd for me when I'm on holiday, as is forced socialising!. Having said that, I did on more than one occasion have a plate of lunch wrapped up for me so I could eat it later, so although there was no flexibility in when the food was served, you could save it for later. I think the key with this place is to know exactly what to expect - we had read up on the place before hand, and so there weren't really any surprises and we had a nice time. I think if you turned up expecting a different experience, then you could easily be dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

The staff, including employees such as Sapo, Eli, Walter, Freddie, Herbert, Jose were all amazing and had an incredible service and really truly wanted us to enjoy ourselves. On the other hand, Barry, the manager was completely rude and had no sense of hospitality. He even had the nerve to cut off my 81 year old grandmother while she was trying to explain something to him and it was nothing but rude. He never once greeted us, made sure we enjoyed ourselves or even tried to pretend to be nice. He should not be in the customer service industry, being that I am in it myself. I would not recommend this resort. They list that they serve traditional caribbean style meals when not one thing was served as such. I personally love food and you do not get a single choice in what you are eating. It is written on a board each day and yOu sit at a Table with everyone else At the resort and eat like you are at camp. I would give the food a 3/10 and that is being nice. The positives were the sweet staff and the bakery cookies and of course the amazing ocean. In total I would give the resort a 6/10 because also if you want to do any expeditions off the island exPect to pay an arm and a leg

• Stayed May 2012
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We are a small, intimate resort with a first class staff dedicated to our Guests' satisfaction. Our manager has been with us for nearly two years and is responsible for the constant outstanding reviews our guests post on TripAdvisor and other sites. About once every year or two a client arrives who simply doesn't want to be at our type of facility, even though our website and advertising is designed to provide a very true picture of the experience. Unfortunately the guest who provided this review did not fit the experience, wanting to change our meal times, menus and other services to suit their whims without regard for the impact on our other guests. I personally received an email from another guest who was at our resort at the same time highly praising Barry, our manager, for his professionalism and attempts to satisfy this client.

We are sorry that we cannot be all things to all people, but we will rest on our reputation and on the feedback provided by 99% of our very happy Guests.

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!