“Great place to relax” 4 of 5 stars

Lion Fish Safari
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Great place to relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I traveled alone to St. Georges Caye and had a really nice time. It was everything I expected. I wanted to get away from the hustle & just relax and decompress. This is more of a lodge than resort so if you want tv, schedules, phones, screaming kids & alot of activity you won't find it here. If you want hassle free quiet, you got it. Everyone there including the guest were very pleasant.
One thing to remember: this is an island and some of the amenities people are use to are not here. Also remember you have to get to Belize City by boat. If you do decide you want to go mainland; I suggest a tour first to make sure being on your own would be for you.
I wish I could thank all the staff there for being so nice. Attentive staff is what makes or breaks a vacation and they definately made it.
Meals are served family style together with others. Don't let that thought bother you. Alot if information is shared about things to do and see over meals. The food is good, nothing exotic that people havn't herd of. It's just prepared diffrent so have an open mind. If your a food person like me you'll welcome a change of pace from a food perspective. Also when you confirm reservation you are sent a questionaire which includes food questions. Fill it out.
Fresh fruit is served in the mornings along with a diffrent juice with each meal. Portions are fairly large and I didn't feel hungry or require a snack. The meals" Chap & company" prepared were enough to keep me going until the next meal. The menu is written the morning of on a board.
Not to worry Chap can make you something regardless of any allergies or dislikes you might have (haha).
There are beach leisure activities, kayak, windsurfing, sailing, pool, vollyball, ect.. and my favorite: reading and napping in a hammock on the pier.
Ladies your best friend here will be a scarf, hair clips, & ponytail holders. A ride in a boat can have you disheveled in no time.
This is a great place for adults and is an adult place. I think kids would become easily bored unless you traveled to the mainland every other day with the island being pretty isolated. It is truly for R&R. Would I stay here again? Yes!
Ron, Barry & Chap; thanks for entertaining me (hehehe).

Room Tip: I actually had a room inside the lodge, which I didn't mind since it was just me. The room was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Brentwood, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I travelled with 4 of my best friends to St. George's Caye and I can not say enough wonderful things about the staff, our stay, the view, meeting others and sailing, etc! In a matter of one day, we quickly adjusted to the Belizean way: no phones, no schedlues ... just fun. If you want an a true upscale camp experience in the most stressfree getaway, this place is for you. It was the best vacation my friends and I have ever had and our hearts belong to Belize now and we will return!

Room Tip: Ocean Front face the ocean and get a nice breeze. Garden Huts are more private. Over the Sea gets...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Anaheim Hills, Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed from Apr 21, 2012 - Apr 26, 2012 and really enjoyed the relaxation more than anything. If you want to truly get away from it all, this is the place to go. It was very quiet; lights were out for most not too long after dark. This was likely due to several things, some requesting pretty strong rum drinks and par-taking in their duty free bottles too.

As others had stated, we all ate together. We liked this as it gave us the opportunity to get to know the others staying here. Just about everyone shared their email addresses with all before departing. We met quite a variety of people including two honeymoon couples. Everyone was good about giving each other privacy though, no one infringed upon your quiet time, be it alone or with your husband, etc.

You have to get a massage from Leonie. She was absolutely wonderful at giving a great massage in addition to being a fantastic hostess! All of the other guests stated as much. One night we were all having dinner and somehow the topic of what cake types each liked came up. I had stated that carrot cake was my favorite. Well, on my birthday, Leonie surprised me with a carrot cake. It was wonderful and was made with care. Unfortunately, I too had a bit much to drink that night. Didn't feel too well the next morning when we were leaving to go to Placencia. The boat ride back to the mainland was tough, but I made it without any embarrassing moments.

The BBQ was also fantastic, with the exception of my asthma not doing well with the smoke and all. The food for the most part was very good.

Be very aware of the mosquitos and/or other biting insects. My husband was eaten alive. Bug spray is a must. Bugs tend to fall into and onto your bed and elsewhere. Just know this upfront. They must be shaken from the thatched ceiling due to the whirling fan. We stayed on the dock side and loved this spot but not the bugs.

You must wonder up the coast of the island and visit a boys (don't remember his name) private aquatic collection. The resort will know where to send you. I think it was three dollars each to get in, but he really knows his stuff and is adorable. This money will hopefully be used for his college tuition.

Just be prepared if you drink the bottled water or beer that is in the fridge, the bill for this will startle you as will the taxes that are added to the bill for your stay. It almost doubled what the resort charges. My husband left in a bit of shock.

I would recommend the resort for a once in a lifetime trip as a couple. In my opinion, this is not a resort for children.

Room Tip: Stay in a dock side room to experience the sound of the water washing up underneath the room, the be...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Pedro, Belize
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I took a few days off with the intention of getting away to a quaint, small, rustic, quiet, small and private island. St. George's is just that. Given it's somewhat remote location and the fact that I know it's a challenge to provision by boat, I was surprised and delighted to learn the lodge stocked champagne, and I was able to sip Mimosas (made with freshly squeezed OJ) to my heart's content (no, that's not included in your stay, but for me it was well worth it).

Additionally, the lodge's main building offered complimentary internet service, so I was able to catch up to the extent I wanted to, and then turn-off when the resort staff reminded me I was there to decompress. Speaking of decompressing, I booked a 90 minute massage with Leonie and she was excellent, my suggestion if you are staying more than one day, would be to book with her daily.

I also went sailing with Cpt. Freddie, he allowed me to sail the Hobie cat back to the lodge, and we were escorted by a spirited Dolphin - loved that! When we got back to the beach and I jumped in to help push the boat in, I also sank into the muddy bottom of the water, so I would suggest you swim off the dock (they have stairs leading into the water), or in the pool.

In regards to the food, the meals are served family style and prepared by Chef's Chap and Judy. I got to meet and spend time with both of these warm and caring people. The meals were always flavorful and plentiful, and again I was impressed with the selections given the fact we were on a small island. Keep in mind, the menu is set, you don't dictate or choose the menu, you go with the flow. If you have special dietary needs, be sure to inform them ahead of time. Incidentally, I never went hungry (and I am usually someone who needs to snack), as there was always plenty of food at each meal.

That brings me over to my room. I thought for a rustic lodge (which is what this is) they brought a certain amount of luxury into the fold, 24 hour electricity, a mini bar stocked with local beers, bottled water and cokes, a waffle cotton robe, nice linens and towels, plenty of hot water and lots of cool breezes from the beach.

Realistic expectations are always first and foremost when you plan a vacation or getaway. I would think of this spot as more of a "lodge" than a "resort". Add friendly and efficient staff and great management (Thanks so much Barry) and you have the recipe for a laid-back, chilled out, no stress, decompress zone. I will definitely go back, and in fact am thinking of taking a group with me next time. I would like to thank the people that took such great care of me during my WAY too short visit: Chap, Barry, Judy, Leoni, Eli, Carlos, Herbert, and my lovely housekeeping ladies.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Woking, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed for three or four nights back in February at the end of a two month trip around central America. Staying here was a splurge for us (Belize is very expensive compared to most of its neighbours anyway), as we wanted somewhere nice to stay and relax before heading home. I enjoyed everything about our stay apart from the food.... the island is great, the water is the most crystal clear you can imagine, the free kayaks, pedalos and sail boats allow you to explore, and if you are happy to chill out then I think you'll be happy. Although it is good to know before you go that the 'beach' isn't probably what you'd expect, and the sand directly off the beach in the water is gunky so you get stuck in the mud! That's why there is the lovey pontoon for you to jump off. We went diving once and it was expensive, but I have nothing else in Belize to compare this to. The hut itself was large and comfortable, although the interior was a bit dated if I'm going to pick holes. All of the staff were great and really friendly, and always helpful. We did have a big fire on the beach on Valentines day, and also dinner was a BBQ on the beach another night. I don't know if it is because I'm British (I am told by an American friend that it may be so), but I found the whole communal eating thing a bit odd. After a few days it was great to know everyone there, and all the guests seemed very open to talking to 'newbies', but having set lunch and dinner times is just odd for me when I'm on holiday, as is forced socialising!. Having said that, I did on more than one occasion have a plate of lunch wrapped up for me so I could eat it later, so although there was no flexibility in when the food was served, you could save it for later. I think the key with this place is to know exactly what to expect - we had read up on the place before hand, and so there weren't really any surprises and we had a nice time. I think if you turned up expecting a different experience, then you could easily be dissapointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012 via mobile

The staff, including employees such as Sapo, Eli, Walter, Freddie, Herbert, Jose were all amazing and had an incredible service and really truly wanted us to enjoy ourselves. On the other hand, Barry, the manager was completely rude and had no sense of hospitality. He even had the nerve to cut off my 81 year old grandmother while she was trying to explain something to him and it was nothing but rude. He never once greeted us, made sure we enjoyed ourselves or even tried to pretend to be nice. He should not be in the customer service industry, being that I am in it myself. I would not recommend this resort. They list that they serve traditional caribbean style meals when not one thing was served as such. I personally love food and you do not get a single choice in what you are eating. It is written on a board each day and yOu sit at a Table with everyone else At the resort and eat like you are at camp. I would give the food a 3/10 and that is being nice. The positives were the sweet staff and the bakery cookies and of course the amazing ocean. In total I would give the resort a 6/10 because also if you want to do any expeditions off the island exPect to pay an arm and a leg

• Stayed May 2012
CapnRon2011, Owner at St. George's Caye Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We are a small, intimate resort with a first class staff dedicated to our Guests' satisfaction. Our manager has been with us for nearly two years and is responsible for the constant outstanding reviews our guests post on TripAdvisor and other sites. About once every year or two a client arrives who simply doesn't want to be at our type of facility, even though our website and advertising is designed to provide a very true picture of the experience. Unfortunately the guest who provided this review did not fit the experience, wanting to change our meal times, menus and other services to suit their whims without regard for the impact on our other guests. I personally received an email from another guest who was at our resort at the same time highly praising Barry, our manager, for his professionalism and attempts to satisfy this client.

We are sorry that we cannot be all things to all people, but we will rest on our reputation and on the feedback provided by 99% of our very happy Guests.
La Center, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

My husband and I were unsure of what to expect when first booking this resort. From the moment that we were picked up at the airport (a driver with a sign with our name on it) to the 20min. boat ride the island and the manager Barry greeting us with another staff memeber with fresh squeezed juice the relaxation could begin. We stayed on the ocean side huts (4 in total) with 6 on the lagoon side and 2 in the middle, I think the max number of guests while we were there were 12. Each hut had a porch with 2 chairs and a hammack. Every morning fresh jucie, coffee and tea were delivered to your door.

The food was amazing, while each meal is planned (there is a menu written everyday to look at) if you are a very picky eater this may not be for you. They do make accomidations for likes and dislikes all you have to do is tell the chef, they will completly understand and make adjustments. The meals are family style which I enjoyed, we were able to really get to know the other guests and made many friends.

We did a ruin tour, cave tubing and snorkling. This is where we looked at some of the local stands to buy our gifts for home. If you want a tourist area again this is not it, it is the only resort on the island the rest are private residences. We also went to the local aquarium and learned more than at some of the bigger ones. Many days people went out on different excersions or scuba diving and we were on the island with maybe 1 other couple. Even when everyone was at the resort you could easily find places where nobody else was.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. By the end or our stay they I noticed that they learned everyone's names, knew what thier favorite drinks were, and also noticed what we like to do. My husband and I like to take the hobie cats out for rides and each morning a staff member would get them ready for us without us asking. The manger Barry wants to make sure he caters your stay to what you want, so weather it's diving every day, just relaxing on the beach, or going out on excursions he will make sure that he does everything possible to fulfull that.'

I would reccommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing getaway, away from all the "toursit" areas, but also wanting to have some fun too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. George's Caye Resort? Share your experiences!