“Almost but not quite...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Almost but not quite...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I really wanted to be wholly positive about this place: the welcome was warm, the ambiance pleasant, the service was prompt and attentive - although we did wait a while for our food - and my husband and daughter really enjoyed their food which represented decent value for money. Unfortunately I ordered the chicken & bacon salad because I didn't want to eat bread. The salad cost £6.50 so I expected something fairly substantial. It was actually the most basic of salads: mixed leaves, a few tomatoes, some cucumber, a tiny amount (about a goujon) of chicken cut into miniscule pieces and a slightly larger amount of bacon. As I side-salad it might have been just about acceptable but as a main course, and one of the most expensive items on the menu, it left a lot to be desired. I love the whole social enterprise idea and may well return at some point but I would advise steering clear of the sad salad.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My experiences at Vicars have all been extremely positive. I felt the need to add this review following my latest visit as it was exceptional. The food was gorgeous, especially the beef. The service was great; the waitress was very welcoming and bubbly. I will definitely be returning again for another crème brulee too!

Bradford, United Kingdom
“Fanatastic food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I took friends for a meal at Vicars on Saturday night, the quality of the food was excellent and arrived in a reasonable time and the staff were polite and curtious. We have been a few times before to the Bistro, and I have been many times to the cafe during the day with family and friends. It is well worth a visit but you need to book so as not to miss out.

“Cracking little place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've visited Vicars a few times during the day either whilst in Saltaire or heading to Shipley Glenn. It's a great little cafe with very friendly staff who make a cracking latte! When we heard it was a bistro too we have it a try and were blown away by chef Matt's fine dishes! I can't recommend Vicars highly enough!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Saltaire's gem of a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

When we went for a weekend to Saltaire, we had done our research and noticed this recommended restaurant one evening. It looked beautiful, and we were warmly welcomed. The atmosphere was friendly, the decor stylish, and we were stunned by the quality of the food. Four of us all were delighted by the fantastic, delicious dishes (so much so that two of us had a second serving of our starters instead of dessert, unheard of!). When we discovered the way the restaurant was run, we were even more impressed, and wish the enterprise well

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Matthew A, Manager at Vicars Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time out to leave such a positive comment. I am really pleased that you gave us a try on your weekend in Saltaire and that the food was to your liking. We hope you will pay us another visit when next in the area.