“Great food and service - Far better than the Salts mill cafe” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Shipley, United Kingdom
“Great food and service - Far better than the Salts mill cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I popped into this smallish eatery with my 2 children and husband after a visit to Salt's Mill. Having previously had poor food at the Mill, we were determined to find food elsewhere and found Vicars

We had a quick lunch and cups of coffee etc, and the staff couldn't have been nicer.

It's really clean and comfy - with the stripped would benches and tables keeping the place informal.

They do serve alcohol - they must have got a license recently, and OH had a very reasonably priced glass of wine with his lunch.

Will definately recommend and visit again

“Wholesome and homely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

I've visited here a few times now, booking the upstairs room for a comfy coffee and cake afternoon and popping in for lunch. Each time I visit, the service is consistently friendly and the food...well....delicious and you don't leave hungry!

Would heartily recommend for a friendly lunch whilst supporting a worthy social enterprise.

Leeds
“What a little gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Didn't even know about this place, but went for a Christmas Mum's from school night out and all I can say is what a little gem. Apparently they don't usually do many nights, only Friday and Saturdays, but during the busy Christmas season they are open more frequently. The food was fabulous, I had tomato and basil risotto cakes, delicious and unusual, followed by a large piece of pork with crispy crackling and vegetables (lovely) and finally a heavenly Sticky toffee pudding with ice cream. My only criticism was that they only brought one bowl of vegetables, which for a table of 7 was not quite enough. However, when we asked for some more,it was no problem at all and they were happy to oblige, but we did then have to wait, even though it was only a short time. It was then topped off by some delicious, little complementary mince pies to have with our coffeeThe staff were lovely and obliging, the atmosphere relaxed and extremely pleasant and I thoroughly enjoyed my night out . I would definitely reccommend this bistro and will be making a return visit in the very near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Matthew A, Manager at Vicars Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Hello Sue130660. Many thanks for taking the time out to leave some feedback about your recent experiences here at Vicars. We are delighted to hear that you and your party enjoyed your evening.
I must admit I find it difficult not be tempted by the sticky toffee pudding each night I'm here! We really look forward to seeing you again in the New Year and hope you will help to spread the word about what's currently going on here at the Cafe/Bistro.
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fabulous treatment of customer with serious food allergies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Went to lunch with my 11 year old daughter who has a serious allergy to nuts and dairy products.
Nothing was too much trouble and the staff used their initiative. Excellent service and delicious food. We will definitely be coming back very soon!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Another excellent meal at a fabulous place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Vicar's is a true gem in the heart of Saltaire. Soups, sandwiches and delicious cakes by day, in a very homely atmosphere, then at night it transforms into a restaurant extraordinaire. We three ate here last night, for two of us the third time and one of us the first. The food, as always, surpassed our expectations, mainly because it is so reasonably priced. Our starters of chicken liver pate, and tomato and basil risotto balls were superb. The latter in particular were surprising due to a new texture and taste, and we all agreed we'll be going back for more before the menu changes. Our mains of pork with apple mash, and salmon fillet were equally as delightful, yet we just about had room to squeeze in one of the nicest sticky toffee puddings ever tasted. Add to this some of the friendliest and most helpful staff ever encountered, tables presented simply yet beautifully and news that they'll get a license next week and will be serving an excellent selection of wines means we're very excited about our next trip. Oh, and did I say it's a social enterprise? So a fabulous meal, and experience, and all in the name of a good cause. What's not to like - you must go here!

• Visited November 2012